Options

Quick question about car rentals

PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My sister is coming to visit me in California. She is 20 years old and will be staying for about a month to go to summer school.

She will need a car while down here. Is renting a car for her feasible? Are there any age requirements? If I remember correctly (I'm old), there are some extra charges for renting cars when the primary driver is under 25. Is that true? She has a Texas driver's license.

Thank you in advance.

Perpetual on

• Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There are some extra charges for being under 25, but the main issue is that a lot (and I mean a lot) of places won't even rent period to someone under 21. Otherwise, if she can find someone that will rent to her, there shouldn't be anything extra needed other than a license.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The last time I was in California, the primary renter had to be over 25. The primary could add someone as a secondary driver who was under 25, for an additional cost.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Perpetual wrote: »
    My sister is coming to visit me in California. She is 20 years old and will be staying for about a month to go to summer school.

She will need a car while down here. Is renting a car for her feasible? Are there any age requirements? If I remember correctly (I'm old), there are some extra charges for renting cars when the primary driver is under 25. Is that true? She has a Texas driver's license.

Thank you in advance.

Buying a beater will almost certainly be cheaper than renting and she can sell it when she leaves. Renting from places like AVIS and Rent-A-Car will cost several hundred dollars for the month, if you're lucky. The rates are pretty insane, 40$/day would be low end in my experience.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are you sure she needs a car? How far are you from campus?
    I'd sooner suggest buying a used scooter than a car though.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Renting a car for her would be morbidly expensive. If you can even find a place that'll rent to her, there's going to be a daily fee for her being under 25 that's on top of all the normal rental/insurance/etc. fees. I don't see you renting a car for her, for a month and getting away for anything under 3 or 4 grand in the end, at a minimum.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah renting a car for a week for someone over 25 is almost a grand.

A whole month? You could probably get a brand new Asian car for less.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there any public transportation? Perhaps a scooter would be good.

schuss on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Perpetual wrote: »
    Is renting a car for her feasible?

Would you be willing to drop a grand on this?

If so, yeah it's feasible.
    If not, no it isn't feasible.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do you access to Zipcar?

VisionOfClarity on