As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just wanted to ask some opinions here about a purchase.

ArthilArthil Registered User regular
Now before I mention anything, it isn't me buying this thing it's a friend of mine. Basically doesn't like buying stuff as big as a computer online so more or less he screws himself over in terms of being able to build one himself.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+-+Desktop+/+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+X2+Processor+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive/1696352.p?skuId=1696352&id=1218281190823

This is the machine he's buying, no it isn't meant for gaming although he is under the assumption it can be upgraded easily. Just wanted to see if I could get some opinions on it before he actually runs off to get it.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
Arthil on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A couple of considerations:

The case dimensions and back panel look to me like they won't accomodate full-height expansion cards (difficult to tell for sure), so any upgrades may be limited to half-height cards. Half-height video cards tend to be lower performace cards for servers, HTPC, or productivity work and not the best at demanding games. The case also doesn't look like it would fit a normal sized PSU and the PSU is probably sized for the hardware installed; it may not be up to drive a significantly more power hungry GPU or CPU.

I've found a lot of budget pre-builts are not designed to be upgraded easily. Sure adding memory or swapping out or adding a hard drive is no problem, but unless it's a gaming/performance/multimedia machine (which this definitely isn't) the PSU probably lacks the additional PCIE power connectors that would be needed to drive a powerful GPU. And it may be difficult to source an upgraded power supply that fits the back panel cutout.

And he doesn't want to spend $300+ online? What is he, 80? If he participates in social networking sites he's opening himself up to exploit much more than ordering stuff online from reputable vendors. Buying desktops from BestBuy is seldom a value proposition unless you have exceedingly low requirements or terrible shipping cost overhead.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thank you for the information, but on bestbuy.com more than a few people said that they were able to upgrade the graphics card to play games. The machine isn't being bought for gaming, it's meant to be a replacement for another machine (that's 10 years old) in order to browse better and be able to work on messenger without being bogged down so much. My friend also liked the idea of possibly being able to upgrade it to play games in the future (obviously not high demanding games.)

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If all he was going to do is messenger and web browsing then that machine would work for him for years and years.

It only gets complicated when you add gaming to the mix, since that machine could run some games fine, and some games poorly, and some other games would be unplayable. So it would depend upon which games he wanted to play.

No doubt that system could accomodate some upgraded video cards, but a lot of cards would not be installable in that box due to size constraints and power constraints. So whether or not that machine would work for him down the line (when he wants to install a new video card) again depends upon which games he wants to play and what kind of gaming experience he wants to have (detail level, frame rate, resolution, etc.).

Djeet on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man he'd be better off buying a used toaster.

emachines are shit, tell him to save himself some money and build one

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I agree with Bowen, emachines are fucking garbage. They cut every corner possible to save every last cent. Build quality sucks, components are garbage, buttons are glued on, shit like that. Happily, I haven't had to deal with one in a few years, so maybe they've had some miracle turn around and they don't make the shittiest of the shit anymore, but I doubt it. If I was going to get a pre-built I'd take another brand's refurb or a 2 or 3 year old lease return over an emachine.

He certainly won't be using it 10 years from now like his old one. Although, I did see someone in a Yugo yesterday that was moving under it's own power, so maybe he'll get the magic one.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    eMachines does have a pretty poor reputation although from a hardware perspective it's pretty undeserved. He's going to have to sift through a pretty huge pile bloatware though, which would be made much more convenient if he had a spare copy of windows to install that didn't have all that crap.

That's pretty common with just about any computer nowadays though. About 5 and a half years ago my apartment got burgled and my laptop was stolen, which was my only computer at the time. I was a broke college kid, and it was about a week from black friday so I went out and picked up a $200 (after rebates!) emachine from compusa or some place like that and it lasted me quite a while. After about a year I'd thrown in a ram upgrade and a loaner 7800 GT from a friend who had just upgraded, and it kicked along pretty well for a few more years. After actually putting something of my own together with more than 1 processor core I set it up as a media box for my TV downstairs where it worked faithfully until about a year ago when the power supply finally crapped out and I just started using my netbook to stream stuff to my TV.

Basically, it shouldn't be bad for a general use computer, but it is going to have a lot of bloatware you'll want to get rid of. Having an extra copy of windows makes eliminating bloatware easy, but can be pricey. As far as gaming upgrades go, that looks a lot like a tower that my little sister has and it's SMALL. It's almost definitely going to be micro-atx, which isn't really a problem, but it's going to have a hard time fitting a modern full size vid card, which is definitely going to be the most effective upgrade path. My old e-machine was micro-atx, but was decently sized otherwise and could barely fit a full size video card.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Just to note he'd already purchased the machine by the time someone responded to this thread.

It will work swimmingly as an everyday use machine, which was the purpose of it. Technically he could have gotten the damn thing for cheap but he always has to go for the highest warranty. You are correct though Sloth in that it is a tiny-assed machine, though it runs well regardless.

Upgrading to some kind of real graphics card will be possible, there were many reviews stating people had done exactly that, just when he does it wont be able to be top-of-the-line and it really doesn't need to. We've got a gaming PC already.

Edit: And to the mention of eMachines being crap, Gateway bought them. Not sure when, also not sure if that even helps things any.

Arthil on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Edit: And to the mention of eMachines being crap, Gateway bought them. Not sure when, also not sure if that even helps things any.

Acer owns both companies.

corky842 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    corky842 wrote: »

Well god damn everybody buyin' everybody up.

I think Acer is supposed to be good, that's the brand my LCD monitor is at least.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    corky842 wrote: »

Well god damn everybody buyin' everybody up.

I think Acer is supposed to be good, that's the brand my LCD monitor is at least.

None of these companies are really know for their computers being particularly reliable. Their standout quality is usually cost.

Djeet on
  • Options
    Uldor5486Uldor5486 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As someone who used to work in the geek squad at a Best Buy location, a good 50% in the Acer family (eMachine, Gateway, Acer) usually comeback with serious hardware issues either immediately after purchase because something wasn't seated properly, usually the memory, or because hard drives the company used crapped out in a year.

Just an FYI to make sure he keeps an eye on the machine and get it fixed while its still under manufacturer if theres even a hint of an issue

Uldor5486 on
  • Options
    splashsplash Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is that a D-Sub or a D-Sub/DVI connector on the back?

"Software packages included: With Adobe Acrobat Reader and more." Sweet!!

splash on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And here i have an Acer laptop that i love, and find its built quality to kick ass. Bout it a couple months ago, paid $650 for it on sale, buddy bought an MSI Laptop for $1200, hes had to take his back 3 times due to hardware failure. I havent had a single issue with my Acer. Also had an old Acer PC from 07', and some of its parts (hard drive) remain alive and kicking in a frankenputer to this day, still fully functional.
    My Acer laptop also performs better in gaming than my friends $1200 laptop, for nearly half the price.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I generally go with consumer reports for failure rates in computers, and while there's a difference between Acer and Apple or Asus, for example, the difference isn't nearly what you'd expect it to be.

I have a lot of trouble buying the idea of a 50% return rate for Acer products (because a company does not stay in business if half their shit doesn't work,) and am inclined to believe this is a case of confirmation bias.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/

If I were to single out Acer for a complaint, it would be the hassle of using their tech support.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It seemed that for this particular machine, most of the reviews were positive. Honestly the only bad ones happened to be people... I dunno, expecting to be able to play games for $300.

Arthil on
  • Options
    Uldor5486Uldor5486 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey all I'm saying is this what I saw personally and what was logged into our ticketing system, granted these were the systems being sold by BB not directly through acer or one of the other sub-companies. Probably had something to do with it =/

Uldor5486 on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It seemed that for this particular machine, most of the reviews were positive. Honestly the only bad ones happened to be people... I dunno, expecting to be able to play games for $300.

YOu always get these people. They go "But its a brand new computer, i just bought it, why cant i run so and so high end game? Its a new computer! This doesn't make sense!" these people do not know how PC's work and think they are buying something akin to a console that just runs everything out of the box, and have no concept of hardware what so ever.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

YOu always get these people. They go "But its a brand new computer, i just bought it, why cant i run so and so high end game? Its a new computer! This doesn't make sense!" these people do not know how PC's work and think they are buying something akin to a console that just runs everything out of the box, and have no concept of hardware what so ever.

People have definitely been conditioned to assume that newer is better. It seems like people think "well, sure I paid 600 bucks for this PC 3 years ago, but this is a new PC, even if it cost me $250 less, so it should be better."

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wouldn't expect to be able to outrun a cop in a brand new honda, either.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect to be able to outrun a cop in a brand new honda, either.

Is this your way of telling us you're posting from jail, bowen?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Maybe.

bowen on