As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canada] Politics of the Democratic Friedmanite Republic of the Government of Harper

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Entriech wrote: »
    The fact is, heavily subsidized tuition has been a staple of post-secondary education in Quebec for a long time, and is something that the people there feel strongly about. They are perfectly within their rights to protest the decisions of the government. It's really the only course of action we have to act against the government's decisions.

Except for, you know, actually voting on who forms the governemnt and makes the decisions. The last election in 2008 had a voter turnout of 57%, the lowest in 70 years. And students aren't a high-turnout demographic, even by that standard.

Cause people who are 19 now totally had a say in the 2008 election.

• Options
    CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Cadmus wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Also, I hate the anti-protest people because they are the worst people ever.

The one major complaint you hear from every single person who complains about the protests is "Well I paid more!".

Yeah dumbass, that's not an actual argument. Maybe you paid too much?

I am by no means anti-protest. I just think there are way worse things going on right now and it saddens me that the only protesting that is actually happening is over something pretty trivial by comparison. Government sneaking massive institutional changes into a budget bill, forced on-line surveillance bills with no warrant or monitoring and it's clearly only being done for private corporations so they can more easily sue people. A completely screwed up banking system... there's a ton of things that warrant protest right now but nobody cares about them. Take aware our rights, that's ok by us, but increase our tuition?? Freak out!

So you suggest protesting against those things, but the anti-protest laws pushed through by the Quebec government are not worth protesting?

Hm.

The "anti-protest" law doesn't stop people from protesting... it requires them to notify the police so that the police can keep shit from getting out of hand. Most protests/demonstrations do this already because it's simply a good idea.

Calling it an anti-protest law is blowing it way out of proportion and I'll say it again, that law largely happened because of the action of students who were pissed off that they were being denied their education by other students.
    hippofant wrote: »

The one major complaint you hear from every single person who complains about the protests is "Well I paid more!".

I am by no means anti-protest. I just think there are way worse things going on right now and it saddens me that the only protesting that is actually happening is over something pretty trivial by comparison. Government sneaking massive institutional changes into a budget bill, forced on-line surveillance bills with no warrant or monitoring and it's clearly only being done for private corporations so they can more easily sue people. A completely screwed up banking system... there's a ton of things that warrant protest right now but nobody cares about them. Take aware our rights, that's ok by us, but increase our tuition?? Freak out!

So your argument is invalidity by comparison? Well, things here aren't as bad as they are in Somalia, so ....

I didn't say that what they are doing is completely invalid, I'm just saying it looks pathetic from the point of view of most of the world.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Though interestingly, I've learned a bunch about the organ transplant system and how utterly bonkers fucking insane it is.

The rest of the country practically lives off Ontario/Quebec organs apparently.

Also, they don't take old organs out. We've accused her of hoarding kidneys.

shryke on
  • Options
    Looks pathetic to people in Alberta where we just take whatever the government gives us and we then say thanks! Cheques instead of education? WOOOOO!!!! Oh wait, shitty roads now? Well cut education again!

Alberta is by far the biggest sheep of a province I can think of.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I didn't say that what they are doing is completely invalid, I'm just saying it looks pathetic from the point of view of most of the world.

Wait, how does it look pathetic? This doesn't make any sense.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

So your argument is invalidity by comparison? Well, things here aren't as bad as they are in Somalia, so ....

So the students are pathetic for protesting a tuition hike that they feel moves their society in an undesirable direction, instead of protesting other things like institutional corruption and abuse, on-line surveillance bills, weakening of banking regulations....

And you're not pathetic for not protesting those things, because .......

I'm just saying, it looks hypocritical from the point of view of me.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Looks pathetic to people in Alberta where we just take whatever the government gives us and we then say thanks! Cheques instead of education? WOOOOO!!!! Oh wait, shitty roads now? Well cut education again!

Alberta should be more like Ontario, what with it's Conservative voters and massive pollution and....oh wait.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

You are being a silly goose then Cadmus wondering why they are protesting and then upon learning why they started protesting, saying they shouldn't have protested. What they initially started protesting was just the a crack in the dike, since then this protest has grown far beyond just that one issue - they most certainly are protesting the bolded that you brought up as well (you even previously admitted by acknowledging they were anti-capitalist, which is a host of hydra like issues especially with the Cons in charge) right now and so should the rest of us, so where is your march, your voice, your disobedience? You are having some serious disconnect here in your protestations of the protests - please reconnect and understand you look like a shameful hypocrite ATM.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Alberta should be more like Ontario, what with it's Conservative voters and massive pollution and....oh wait.

I'm not sure if you're being a smart ass or a dumbass who thinks I live in Ontario.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    He is probably just observing with a sense of humour that Ontario and Alberta have more in common than some would like to admit. Not sure why you feel the need to take offense.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

Alberta just had a big provincial election where one party was promising lots of refund cheques, and another party was promising investing in services and infrastructure.

Services and infrastructure won, so you can kindly fuck off of a cliff.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited June 2012

I'm not sure if you're being a smart ass or a dumbass who thinks I live in Ontario.

More like I think you're a dumbass who calls Alberta out on things while turning a blind eye to the fact that all of Canada is a lot more similar than people with superiority complexes like you would like to think.

Nova_C on
  • Options

More like I think you're a dumbass who calls Alberta out on things while turning a blind eye to the fact that all of Canada is a lot more similar than people with superiority complexes like you would like to think.

Superiority complex eh? And do tell what makes you think that?

Gnome, Alberta just had an election where people voted for the same people they have voted for for 30+ years. Even bribery couldn't get Alberta to change it's habitual direction.

Wolverine, I wasn't offended by his comment, I was curious and he proved just before I replied to this that he was in fact a dumbass.

• Options
    Because you keep on talking about all the disdain and contempt you have for Albertans.

Which makes me think that you have a superiority complex when it comes to Albertans.

Not complicated.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    That must be tough considering I am one.

Edit: You being an idiot is no reason to call you names.

hawkbox on
  • Options
    That must be tough considering I am one.

Not mutually exclusive.

• Options
    Then prove me wrong.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    So, wtf is going on in Montreal? I live in Edmonton and nobody here can figure out why they're protesting to this extent and this includes everyone I know that was 100% behind the occupy movement last year.

I understand people being a bit miffed that their tuition is going up thousands over the next 5 years but it's still going to be cheaper than anywhere else in Canada and still pretty affordable. When the U of Alberta had to add a ~$350 "maintenance fee" because the province cut their funding and tuition can only be raised every X number of years, the vast majority of students had the opinion that they'd rather pay more and actually get an education than have entire departments shut down. (The administration also made up 66% of the funding deficit by laying off non-faculty staff and other measures, so maybe that helped).

When the Quebec government is saying that tuition hasn't changed in decades and they can't afford to keep subsidizing more and more due to inflation, I have a hard time seeing why so many students are pissed off.

Then you add in the fact that they were disrupting classes that people PAID for and I lose even more respect for them. Even with the much higher cost of tuition here, just about anybody can cover the majority of the cost with a part time job during school and a second summer job.

Now I look at the news and I see that they are protesting in their underwear? Huh? I don't even....

What?

Edit: Something I just realized after posting. Is there just THAT big of a cultural divide between Quebec and western Canada? I mean, I know there is a bit of a cultural difference but I really didn't think it was so big that people would be taking drastic action in Montreal and nobody in Alberta would understand why, or why they are doing it naked and/or dressed as clowns and stuff.

Something something something you had it harder so they should suck it up and deal with it is all I'm hearing.

You are EXACTLY the person we bitch about. Instead of saying "they have it better! Maybe I should do something so I can try to have it as good as they do" you're saying "they have it better! Those bastards! I need to drag them down to my level". That is the same shit that is destroying the union movement, healthcare and government services in general.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    stupid double post

anyway, Cadmus, next time you decide to feel all superior to someone else for having dealt with a harder situation, ask yourself whether it might be better to improve things so that others don't have to deal with your situation instead of dragging everyone else down.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    In a perfect world education would be free for everyone. There is a large portion of the population that does not want taxes to go up to pay for it. Neither side is "wrong".

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Disco11 wrote: »
    In a perfect world education would be free for everyone. There is a large portion of the population that does not want taxes to go up to pay for it. Neither side is "wrong".

My personal best case scenario would be a situation where the government directly provided student loans with prime set as the interest rate and while going to school there is no interest incurred, and something like your (GPA x 20)% of the loan is forgiven upon graduation. With graduation meaning you have obtained a diploma/certificate/degree.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

You mean the group of 30-50 somethings who see themselves as having worked so much harder than this generation and think that kids these days have it too easy (despite record levels of young adult unemployment)?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    psyck0 wrote: »

You mean the group of 30-50 somethings who see themselves as having worked so much harder than this generation and think that kids these days have it too easy (despite record levels of young adult unemployment)?

Thanks for talking for me. Next time do you want to just write my post for me? If that's what I meant I would have posted that.

• Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    I get how the students feel -- I was in year 3 of a 5 year program when BC ended their tuition freeze and started increasing the price.

The result, I found, was that the quality of my education increased very quickly -- labs and supplies were much better stocked rather than relying on 20 year old (or more) equipment. BC was in a situation where tuition was frozen and govt funding hadn't increased for quite awhile. This was a bad situation for the quality of education in BC.

Maintaining good education services while keeping tuition low or frozen means higher taxes. It seems to me these students are protesting because the government doesn't want to raise taxes on everyone else. I remember being a student... I wanted everyone else's money too! I don't think these protests are ridiculous because everyone else has it better/harder -- I think they're ridiculous because they're protesting that other people aren't giving them money. Excuse me for being unsympathetic.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Serpent wrote: »
    It seems to me these students are protesting because the government doesn't want to raise taxes on everyone else. I remember being a student... I wanted everyone else's money too! I don't think these protests are ridiculous because everyone else has it better/harder -- I think they're ridiculous because they're protesting that other people aren't giving them money. Excuse me for being unsympathetic.

What exactly is ridiculous about the idea of a system where people pay into education in this manner? I mean, students are in school to contribute to the society they're engaged in. It's not exactly a greed based situation.

• Options
    Lucid wrote: »
    It seems to me these students are protesting because the government doesn't want to raise taxes on everyone else. I remember being a student... I wanted everyone else's money too! I don't think these protests are ridiculous because everyone else has it better/harder -- I think they're ridiculous because they're protesting that other people aren't giving them money. Excuse me for being unsympathetic.

What exactly is ridiculous about the idea of a system where people pay into education in this manner? I mean, students are in school to contribute to the society they're engaged in. It's not exactly a greed based situation.

So everyone goes to school to make Canada a better place? I though some people wanted to get a job where they earn more money.

• Options

Thanks for talking for me. Next time do you want to just write my post for me? If that's what I meant I would have posted that.

He's become a big fan of putting words in other peoples mouths.

• Options

Hell if my taxes were to go to reducing costs for students I would fully support an increase in taxes. And I'm a middle class white Albertan!

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

So everyone goes to school to make Canada a better place? I though some people wanted to get a job where they earn more money.

Intent is largely irrelevant compared to outcome. Furthermore, in this case, individual intent is irrelevant compared to communal intent.

• Options
    edited June 2012

Shit, I missed "to go up" and read "taxes to go to pay for it". Those people ARE "wrong".

Yeah you can fucking talk after how you ignore half my fucking posts every time you say anything to me.
    I get how the students feel -- I was in year 3 of a 5 year program when BC ended their tuition freeze and started increasing the price.

The result, I found, was that the quality of my education increased very quickly -- labs and supplies were much better stocked rather than relying on 20 year old (or more) equipment. BC was in a situation where tuition was frozen and govt funding hadn't increased for quite awhile. This was a bad situation for the quality of education in BC.

Maintaining good education services while keeping tuition low or frozen means higher taxes. It seems to me these students are protesting because the government doesn't want to raise taxes on everyone else. I remember being a student... I wanted everyone else's money too! I don't think these protests are ridiculous because everyone else has it better/harder -- I think they're ridiculous because they're protesting that other people aren't giving them money. Excuse me for being unsympathetic.

Students don't want other people's money. What they want is to be able to get a job. Most jobs these days require a degree for no good reason, so they have to go to university. Then when they get out all the employers are slashing jobs and the fucking boomers are refusing to retire so they're stuck with no work and a big loan. They're being set up to fail by society, especially when you compare them to their parents, who had a wide-open workforce to enter. Meanwhile, taxes are at a 60 year low, lower than they were even when we were terrified of the communists, so it's not exactly unjust for them to ask for society to raise taxes and foot the bill. The alternative is fucking over an entire generation.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular

There's nothing ridiculous about the idea of a system. There is something ridiculous about the people who get hand-outs protesting because they're not getting more hand-outs.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be giving this type of hand-out, I think subsidized education is great -- I am saying the people getting the hand-out shouldn't be bitching about not getting bigger hand-outs. I don't exactly go over as a guest to a friends dinner and start complaining that I was expected to bring the salad!

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular

There's nothing ridiculous about the idea of a system. There is something ridiculous about the people who get hand-outs protesting because they're not getting more hand-outs.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be giving this type of hand-out, I think subsidized education is great -- I am saying the people getting the hand-out shouldn't be bitching about not getting bigger hand-outs. I don't exactly go over as a guest to a friends dinner and start complaining that I was expected to bring the salad!

you don't...actually believe this, do you?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    3) Free education. Awesome idea, I think it's great. I'm with them 100%, except I'd like to know how one thing. Who's going to pay for it? Are the professors just going to work for free? We going to invent unlimited free energy to pay the universities power bill? I think we should also have free housing for everyone and no taxes but it's not exactly practical.

Out of curiosity, di you know that Saudi Arabia - for all of it's faults, corruption and all of the pick-pocketing done by the royalty - offers 100% subsidized post-secondary education? A developing country with very shallow coffers (the oil revenue is not put into a public fund; most of it is collected by private interests) and terrible human rights records actually does better than Canada as far as education is concerned.

It's a matter of spending priorities.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Who cares that our postsecondary education system is starting to break down, saddling a generation of students with insurmountable debt because of a lack of jobs? Those students don't get to complain because we're already giving them free money! They should leave it to their betters, like Serpent, to figure out how much is fair.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I think this is the right place to ask this: I'm looking for a comedy news podcast that is based in Canada and covers Canadian news. I'm a big fan of The Bugle, so I guess you could say I want the Canadian version. I could have sworn that the CBC had this exactly, but I couldn't find it the last time I checked. (I'm already subscribed to This Is That by the way, in case you were thinking of suggesting that.)

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Jacoby wrote: »
    I think this is the right place to ask this: I'm looking for a comedy news podcast that is based in Canada and covers Canadian news. I'm a big fan of The Bugle, so I guess you could say I want the Canadian version. I could have sworn that the CBC had this exactly, but I couldn't find it the last time I checked. (I'm already subscribed to This Is That by the way, in case you were thinking of suggesting that.)

I've never heard anything funny on the CBC.

• Options

Handout? Handout?

It is pretty much a requirement to go to post-secondary to do anything more than a McJob. So society is demanding they go to school to have a career. When someone demands I do something that costs money, I don't consider it a handout when they pay for it. I consider it human fucking decency.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    3) Free education. Awesome idea, I think it's great. I'm with them 100%, except I'd like to know how one thing. Who's going to pay for it? Are the professors just going to work for free? We going to invent unlimited free energy to pay the universities power bill? I think we should also have free housing for everyone and no taxes but it's not exactly practical.

Out of curiosity, di you know that Saudi Arabia - for all of it's faults, corruption and all of the pick-pocketing done by the royalty - offers 100% subsidized post-secondary education? A developing country with very shallow coffers (the oil revenue is not put into a public fund; most of it is collected by private interests) and terrible human rights records actually does better than Canada as far as education is concerned.

It's a matter of spending priorities.

+1 for the utterly ridiculous comparison.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options

Shit, I missed "to go up" and read "taxes to go to pay for it". Those people ARE "wrong".

Yeah you can fucking talk after how you ignore half my fucking posts every time you say anything to me.

Students don't want other people's money. What they want is to be able to get a job. Most jobs these days require a degree for no good reason, so they have to go to university. Then when they get out all the employers are slashing jobs and the fucking boomers are refusing to retire so they're stuck with no work and a big loan. They're being set up to fail by society, especially when you compare them to their parents, who had a wide-open workforce to enter. Meanwhile, taxes are at a 60 year low, lower than they were even when we were terrified of the communists, so it's not exactly unjust for them to ask for society to raise taxes and foot the bill. The alternative is fucking over an entire generation.

Funny how ignoring what people say works both ways then. You can't even come up with a cogent fucking response to a simple statement.

• Options
    So what about a student that

Handout? Handout?

It is pretty much a requirement to go to post-secondary to do anything more than a McJob. So society is demanding they go to school to have a career. When someone demands I do something that costs money, I don't consider it a handout when they pay for it. I consider it human fucking decency.

One can also argue that half the jobs that demand education don't really need it. How many jobs do you see advertized that demand a diploma. Any diploma.

This discussion has been closed.