As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roommate torrents too much anime, I get slapped with lawsuit (probably)

2»

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just TALK to a lawyer, see what your options are and what steps you SHOULD take if they do in fact file a full-blown lawsuit. You can talk to a lawyer for FREE.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Just TALK to a lawyer, see what your options are and what steps you SHOULD take if they do in fact file a full-blown lawsuit. You can talk to a lawyer for FREE.

haha

well, sometimes. Though they should at least tell you if they plan on charging you.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »

haha

well, sometimes. Though they should at least tell you if they plan on charging you.

There was a time when I was on the hunt for a lawyer and none of them billed me to talk to them about my charges.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »

haha

There was a time when I was on the hunt for a lawyer and none of them billed me to talk to them about my charges.

I don't want to get too off topic with old boring stories so I'll just say make sure to ask if they plan on charging you for talking to them about your charges.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As far as the roommate goes?

Let him get his own internet account and have it signed to his name. If he wishes to continue doing questionably legal things, let him do it on his own name.

Also, get another roommate that doesn't suck.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    zktzkt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They're bluffing.

zkt on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

In less than 2 months I'll be rid of him as a roommate. It would be sooner if I could. I've lived with him almost 3 years and he has made me hate being at home for all that time.

He's so pathetically socially inept and divorced from reality that I actually almost pity him were it not for the barely-contained rage I'm currently feeling.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

In less than 2 months I'll be rid of him as a roommate. It would be sooner if I could. I've lived with him almost 3 years and he has made me hate being at home for all that time.

He's so pathetically socially inept and divorced from reality that I actually almost pity him were it not for the barely-contained rage I'm currently feeling.

Well, as much as you despise him, I'd recommend having contact information on-hand to forward anything relevant to this, if it actually continues.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Relevant to the thread. So I got hit with a copyright violation notice from Verizon due to my roomate dl Game of Thrones. The email specifically says no information about me was given and no subpoena has been filed so I'm hoping it's a warning email. My roomate dl tons of things apparently, including lots of anime. Talked to him about it and he says that he'll stick to dling unreleased anime and he'll be safe.

This sounds like bs to me, what you guys think? I usually stream my anime so I don't have to worry about this from my end.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd tell him to stop

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Relevant to the thread. So I got hit with a copyright violation notice from Verizon due to my roomate dl Game of Thrones. The email specifically says no information about me was given and no subpoena has been filed so I'm hoping it's a warning email. My roomate dl tons of things apparently, including lots of anime. Talked to him about it and he says that he'll stick to dling unreleased anime and he'll be safe.

This sounds like bs to me, what you guys think? I usually stream my anime so I don't have to worry about this from my end.

It's BS. Even when anime series x isn't licensed for your region, still is property of the studio / tv channel.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Out of curiosity, how has Roomie McNeckbeard responded to this? I assume you showed him the letter, and told him why you're no longer letting him use your internet connection. Has he flat-out said "I'm not going to pay up, if it comes to that"? Not that it's super-relevant. I'm just curious about exactly how much of a tool this guy is. Obviously, if you're worried about privacy, don't answer.

Whether you're ultimately found to be liable for copyright infringement or not, the copyright holder could make your life pretty miserable for a while, if they decided that they wanted to make an example out of you. But, as others have said, don't worry until and unless you get something directly from the copyright holder. And don't initiate contact with the copyright holder for any reason.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Your roomie sounds like a real wet napkin. I doubt you can trust him to stop downloading illegal stuff, no matter what he says. He may even refuse to stop using your internet connection. So unless you plan on spending all your time in your room guarding it, your troubles may not end here. If you can manage, cancel your service and find some public place to do your internety stuff for the last couple of months. The other option is demand that he is evicted out of your room, but that will probably be a big SLOW headache. And there's the whole problem of proving things if he wont make any admissions.

*Edit* Oh, another thing you can do to ensure he doesn't sneak internet is to password block it (duh, why didn't I think of that sooner). Put a password on your computer as well. If for some reason you can't change the password to the modem, then just disconnect and hide it when you aren't home.

Siska on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's highly, HIGHLY unlikely that pirating anime is grounds for eviction. And the process of evicting someone is such a pain that, even if it were, chances are good that a landlord wouldn't bother trying to evict a tenant over something like that.

And OP has already said that he's physically disconnected Neckbeard Larry's internet connection (and presumably disabled WiFi), and takes the cable modem with him when he leaves the house, so the roommate can no longer use his connection. Also, OP already said that he's moving in a few months, so he'll be rid of the roommate soon enough.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Look. I get about 100 of these eMails every day. Here's what we usually do with them. We resolve the IP address to a specific customer. This takes about a day. Then we forward the customer name to Customer Care/Tech Support. They get customer account and contact information. This takes another day. Then they try to contact you and tell you hey, Time Warner said stop stealing their shitty movies.

Then your IP lease expires and we tell Time Warner that we no longer know what you're up too. Process repeats.

Only thing you have to worry about is whether or not your room mate does some absolutely amazing amounts of piracy and just stays on their radar constantly.

Sharing will get you caught quicker than downloading will.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Siska wrote: »
    Your roomie sounds like a real wet napkin. I doubt you can trust him to stop downloading illegal stuff, no matter what he says. He may even refuse to stop using your internet connection. So unless you plan on spending all your time in your room guarding it, your troubles may not end here. If you can manage, cancel your service and find some public place to do your internety stuff for the last couple of months. The other option is demand that he is evicted out of your room, but that will probably be a big SLOW headache. And there's the whole problem of proving things if he wont make any admissions.

*Edit* Oh, another thing you can do to ensure he doesn't sneak internet is to password block it (duh, why didn't I think of that sooner). Put a password on your computer as well. If for some reason you can't change the password to the modem, then just disconnect and hide it when you aren't home.

Here's my current internet setup:

Cable modem is in my room. My door does not lock so when I leave the house I disconnect it and actually take it with me.

My router is also in my room. The router config page is protected by a strong password. The wireless SSID is not broadcast, I have WPA2 encryption with a very strong password, and MAC address filtering turned on. Pretty much any torrent tracker site is blocked as are all sites with 'torrent' keywords. uPnP is turned off.

My phone acts as a personal hotspot but I only ever allow it over Bluetooth or USB.

Basically, fucker ain't getting my internet.

I probably should have mentioned I'm a SysAdmin and I have a huge networking background and know the big 3 OSes inside out. :P

My roommate and I have not spoken since I received the notification not that we spoke at all outside of work to begin with. We simply do not get along on any level.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    facadesfacades Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey Dr_Keenbean,

It is very unlikely that you will be sued. Despite what your ISP says, you certainly are NOT liable for whatever goes on your connection, though of course it's in their best interests to assert as such.

Legal steps such as subpoenas do not necessarily end in litigation. Heck, even most of the time when you're actually served, it very rarely ends in litigation (vast majority ends in some kind of settlement or injunction to cease the activity). Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I'm in law school but obviously, do not practice, but from what you have said, it sounds like they're just taking steps to intimidate you (in this case, your roommate) from continuing with these activities.

Good luck!

facades on