As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nsfw] or hardly working?

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    And a bear scratching its bottom

tumblr_nka8ctIY4U1rfwxa1o1_500.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lovely rendering on that fur.

• Options
    Thanks, Iruka!

More but different fur on this guy

tumblr_nkm5zaiRqD1rfwxa1o1_1280.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Yesterday I kept thinking 'man, this is the best thing ever, I get to stand here in the museum drawing, how fuckin lucky am I'

tumblr_nl08ciK5gQ1rfwxa1o2_r1_400.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    These are ridiculously pleasant to look at. How big are they?

• Options
    Thank you very much, Iruka! I'm doing the pastels on a 9" x 12" pad; the fox and the mandrill fill the sheet nicely but the others would probably fit on something like a 6" x 8" size.
    The pastel pencils have been great because they are a way to sketch in nice rich colors with the control of a pencil, but they're faster than colored pencils and a lot less messy than painting. Digital sketching would offer the same perks but I'm not very comfortable on my tablet, so the pastels have been awesome. And it's funny, because I always had this picture in my head of how pastel looks that I really didn't like, so I avoided them for the longest time. When my teacher had me do my first one with the figure, I was really apprehensive about it. How silly! I'm going to try to sell these animal pastels at a show at the end of April, so hopefully that goes well. They sure have been a pleasure to draw.

Here's how my big final figure painting looks so far. We have 7 more sessions with the model, so lots of time to make it look as good as possible!

shadia%201.jpg

It's so much more colorful in person- I should try to take a picture in sunlight or something.

• Options
    You're in a show?? That's awesome! Have you started to frame them yet? If you plan to, start on that process early, it'll make it way less stressful if you aren't trying to frame stuff a week before.

The figure looks nice, is she going to get toes?

• Options
    I will start to frame that stuff asap. And I guess I'll give her tooesss if you insist :)

Spent all week wanting to draw this one little bird, and then when I got to the museum and realized that, I kinda felt like a crazy person.

tumblr_nlq3qfhfML1rfwxa1o1_1280.jpg

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    To be fair that's a very well done (and very pretty!) burd.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I love that little bird!

all of these animals really are awesome. They remind me of the kinds of things my mum goes absolutely nuts for in terms of prints and notecards...

• Options
    RadicouRadicou Registered User regular
    Love the textures on everything Lyrium, especially that bird.

• Options
    Thanks a lot!

More work on the figure, started in on the piggies a little

shadia%2004.jpg

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I love your animals, they look gorgeous. I hope they go over well at the show. If not let us know, I know people who would love this stuff.

That'd be me.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words :) Based on the feedback you folks have given me on the animals, I'm considering maybe putting them on little blank cards or something to sell. It hadn't occurred to me before because I was pretty much just doing them for fun, and then the opportunity to show and sell them came along. But that's another good idea!

Still working away on this sucker. I have 8 weeks left to finish it before I leave the country, which might seem like a lot but when you only work on it once a week and your to-do list seems to grow every time, it can be a kick in the butt!

still%20life%20thistle%2004.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Look at dat table!
    Your painting and sense of color has become so spectacular. This is gorgeous.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Thanks so much :)
    In my head color is just The Struggle. But I'm learning so much from these pieces. It's good to hear I'm making progress.

More work on the figure today:

shadia%2005.jpg

Sometimes what my teacher tells me is hard to understand, so he tries really hard to explain and I try really hard to get it, and I look at examples from famous paintings in books and then look up at my painting and say some swears, and then I spend like 12 hours painting with it in my head and start to maybe get it a tiny bit. The Struggle.

lyrium on
  • Options
    LennaLenna Registered User new member
    This woman looks nice, but for me it's something wrong with her neck, too long?

• Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    I love the hair texture you have on the animals! It looks awesome. As for the lady, I think the problem is the top of her torso rather than the neck, I think it's a bit too down, but then again like @Lenna said, shortening the neck might fix that problem. I'd add a different color floor as to not confuse it with the background but other than this, it's a really nice painting. Is it digital or traditional?

Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I think it's an optical illusion from the shadow under the chin, which makes the parts in bright highlight look like they're placed higher

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I will check on both the chin and the crotch. I think it's true that she may need more chin. Unfortunately I think a big issue is that my teacher took this picture at an angle that stretches out her upper portions compared to what's below them, which is visible when it's not cropped in so far, so you can see that the edges of the paintng are at an angle :( :

shadia%20less%20crop_1.jpg

I'll check those measurements though and take another picture. The model definitely has a long neck:

shadia.jpg

but it does look like the chin might be lacking in the painting. The head is angled slightly in a way that I'll have to be careful to get the perspective right on, or it'll keep looking off.

Thanks for the input!

Oh, and it's an oil painting from life @Mabelma. The floor is the same piece of drapey cloth hanging behind her coming forwards on the floor. The background is definitely less far along than the figure; I have to work on the floor fabric and lighten it up so it's easy to see how it's angled upward and catching light.

lyrium on
  • Options
    Ok, so I brought the chin down, worked on the neck, adjusted the height of the crotch and knees. Does it look better now?

shadia%2007.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Ok, so just to be safe I completely repainted the head to make it larger (which was an intense and painful lesson). So after many hours in the studio and nights taking naps on a mat on the floor, these two pieces are all done and the baby bird (me) has officially flown the nest.

shadia_laura_longpose_final%20small.jpg

shadia_laura_longpose_final%20zoom%201.jpg

shadia_laura_longpose_final%20zoom%202.jpg

laura_still_life_thistles_2_final%20small.jpg

laura_still_life_thistles_2_final%20zoom%201.jpg

laura_still_life_thistles_2_final%20zoom%202.jpg

Based on how I'm posting these I can only hope that the images aren't too large; I apologize if they are. My options for posting are going to be limited for a while.
    It was weird to leave the studio, my home for the last four years, but it's on to exciting new things now. I'll talk about it in the chat thread. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy these pieces.

really delayed edit!: I realized the colors on those pictures were off, so I posted better ones, and some closeups.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Here's the first painting of my trip! These monks are all over the place, and I hadn't realized that they have smartphones and tattoos and generally seem to go about things just like ordinary folks, at least when they're out and about. I did see a bunch of them singing in a temple and it was really cool; there were different vocal parts and it went on for a long time but most of them were doing it from memory.

monk%20small.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    Auto-rickshaws are called tuk-tuks here.

tuktuk%20small.jpg

• Options
    This was in an area outside of Bangkok, but it was still surprising to look up and see two elephants walking by!

elephants%20small.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    THOSE REDS
    love how you've pulled the orange into the trunks. These are all wonderful.

• Options
    Thanks, Tynic!
    I'm still getting the hang of doing a whole oil painting in one sitting. I hadn't done much landscape painting before, so it's still pretty clumsy to always be painting on wet paint instead of getting to work over dry layers. But it has been very enjoyable to loosen up a bit, take more liberty with composition and color, etc. As it gets more comfortable to work at this pace I hope to experiment more :)

icecream%20small.jpg

• Options
    Really love the dog in the last one, and the colors in general.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Thank you, Iruka. I was happiest with the dog in that painting as well, and seeing as you are really good at painting dogs and awesome colors, that comment makes me feel really good haha.

Here's one from yesterday, in certain areas painting wet on wet was helpful, in others it was a challenge. I'll get the hang of it eventually!

reflection%20small.jpg

As I've been painting in my head I keep thinking of what my teacher might tell me to fix or push if he were looking at it, so that's been helpful.

lyrium on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Yeah, overall, your colors are just super delicious. Love all of it!

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I find myself wanting for some more crisp edges to help separate out forms and direct focus. I think experimenting with some strategic palette knife usage might go a long way, particularly given the quick and wet nature of these studies.

• Options
    @Scosglen , that is EXACTLY what I was struggling with! It's so easy to paint a nice crisp edge on top of dry paint but they were totally disappearing in these pieces. I tried using your palette knife advice in this painting and I'm determined to practice with it.

06%20flowers%20small.jpg

So my goal here was simple, the scene has distinct background/foreground and I wanted to try using the palette knife to get sharp edges in the foreground. Overall I'm pretty disappointed in the background. I darkened the warm stones to separate the values a little more than they were in real life but I didn't do a very good job with it; I was more focused on working with the foreground in the time I had. Using the palette knife was tricky! But it did help! I used it primarily for the flowers and a little bit on the coins. I think it would be good to do a whole palette knife painting to get the hang of it a little better. Thanks so much for the input!

• Options
    Okay, in this one I tried seeing if I could use the palette knife on certain edges to bring out the face. Mixed success.
    These are some shrine dancers I saw. Their dresses and headdresses were really lovely.

07%20shrine%20dancer%20small.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2015
    That's a bus driver reading the newspaper while he drives, because traffic here is just that slow!

01%20bus%20driver%20small.jpg

02%20myna%20small.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    These weren't fish I observed in Thailand or anything, just some personal goldfish because <3

08%20goldfish%20small.jpg

• Options
    So I spent 2 hours in 100 degrees fahrenheit standing in a rice field of rural Thailand painting this. Afterward I thought, "HUH I MIGHT BE INSANE"

09%20lopburi%20lotus%20small.jpg

• Options
    Still very challenged by these, but each time I think of something to try next time, so I'm determined to get better! A small part of it might be getting used to painting outside in this heat. But no excuses, haha.

10%20hua%20hin%20street%20small.jpg

Also tentatively approaching watercolor. It was breezy so a few grains of sand made their way into this one. Mixed media then?

01%20hu%20hin%20beach%20small.jpg

• Options
    sand on watercolor is actually a cool way to create texture, if you brush it off there should be slightly paler spots on the paper where the sand was. That's such an evocative little scene!

• Options
    Thanks, tapeslinger! I tried watercolor again and this one got really messed up, definitely makes me appreciate how forgiving oil is by comparison. But I was painting on the top of a huge karst that I climbed with my watercolors in my backpack, so that was fun.

02%20Prachuap%20small.jpg

the spot:
    IMG_3459%20yes.jpg

At the bottom of the karst lives a family of spectacled langurs, and they are adorable. I used the palette knife a lot on this one.

11%20Prachuap%20langur%20small.jpg

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    lyrium wrote: »
    Thanks, tapeslinger! I tried watercolor again and this one got really messed up, definitely makes me appreciate how forgiving oil is by comparison. But I was painting on the top of a huge karst that I climbed with my watercolors in my backpack, so that was fun.

02%20Prachuap%20small.jpg

the spot:
    IMG_3459%20yes.jpg

At the bottom of the karst lives a family of spectacled langurs, and they are adorable. I used the palette knife a lot on this one.
    11%20Prachuap%20langur%20small.jpg

That sounds horribly cruel to do.

You could have at least used a butcher knife, or something

Koreg on
    If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots