As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Hotness: Fuck Minecraft Let's Play Terraria

George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like ClockworkRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Social Entropy++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGo7iMUcxLc

Grab your tools and go! You can do many things in Terraria: make weapons and fight off a variety of enemies in numerous biomes, dig deep underground to find accessories, money, and other useful things, gather wood, stone, ores, and other resources to create everything you need to make the world your own and defend it. Build a house, a fort, even a castle, and people will move in to live there and perhaps even sell you different wares to assist you on your journey. But beware, there are even more challenges awaiting you... Are you up to the task?

This game right here? Fucking excellent.

It's like if you took Minecraft, Spelunky, and some sort of Metroidvania game and smashed em all together.

It's really daunting at first but that's okay because the developers have a 23 part LP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udp5ozoYfxM
How would you describe Terraria as a game?
We feel Terraria is a game that calls out to many different types of gamers at once. The game itself offers more than just one play style. You can go adventure, or you can build yourself a home from nearby materials, or perhaps you simply want to battle other players in combat. Whatever the case, you’ll find it here!

Is there a story or a history to the world of Terraria?
At this time there is no real game Story or Lore. We felt that players would like to create their own home, town, city, or even alter an entire world. And on top of that, they would also create their own story to match it. So, if we had included a base story of our own, it could have interfered with their own imaginative creations.

The video on your site shows the game as being very combat intensive and sometimes frantic. Certainly much more combat than other world building sims. Why did you chose to go in this direction?
While our video does show some very intensive combat, you can usually choose when or if you will face such conflict. Players who wish to build in a sim aspect can avoid most combat simply by remaining in safer areas. But for those who love to explore, adventure or flat out wreak havoc on an army of monsters, they too will have that option. And I think that’s whats important. Giving players the option. No two gamers are alike, and we know that very well as gamers ourselves.

Are there plans for a crafting system to create your own weapons and armor?
Yes. Most of the games weapons and armor must be crafted at your homes anvil or workbench. On top of that, there are also many special items that can be made through the crafting system as well. For example, we added a Depth meter you can craft that tells you how far underground you are currently.

There's a pretty bare-bones wiki up right now for those of you who must craft one of everything.
http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Terraria_Wiki

Let's say you want to play this game, okay yeah that is a really good assumption because this game is FUCKING GREAT, just open up Steam and it is on the Store for
TEN BUX

Buy this shit.

George Fornby Grill on

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would be on board.

But you said "fuck Minecraft"

Sir, I will not.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's really daunting at first but that's okay because the developers have a 23 part LP!

what the shit

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

what the shit

amazingly, that serves to make it more daunting

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    gonna buy this

gonna do it

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've been hearing about this

How does it compare to Minecraft, exactly, or more specifically, how does it compete

Ledneh on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't wait to get this in the near future.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game can be quite daunting luckily the developers have created a feature length film to help ease you in!

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »

what the shit

Exactly. I can't speak for everyone, but a 23 part LP explaining how to play a game makes not want to play said game.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How does it compare... well. Personally Minecraft to me looked interesting but I was never driven to actually play it. It seemed a little too....big and empty. This isnt a bad thing for a game built on your own imagination but in terms of the attack and defence of the game, you never really had a real purpose beyond whatever you wanted to do.

While thats still the case here, they have added boss monsters, NPC's, and generally more interesting items to craft. Theres light sabers, laser guns, rocket boots, hyper boots, etc.

I watched only the trailer of this game and decided it was going to be worth the 10 bucks. I bought it last night and had a whole lot of fun just getting the basics down without any wiki lookups.

I can certainly see the comparisons to minecraft but personally i think the 2d sprites are more visually appealing then the (frankly) ugly 3d that is minecraft as well as adding some depth and enough action to the gameplay to be a different kind of game.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this looks fantastic

one of my issues with minecraft was that any building after a pretty early point didn't actually benefit you in-game

like, a big house was in no way better than a dirt room

so seeing as how this actually encourages making big fancy things, hooooraaay

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm thinking about getting it

Someone sell me on it

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    After watching some videos I think I'mma buy this.

Looks like a good entertainment deal for $10.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well that sounds like throwing ten bucks at on a lark

Hell, spend more than that on lunch some days

Ledneh on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sell you on it...hum

Do you like resource gathering? do you appriciate that the neccessary monsters in these kinds of games that you kill also provide you with raw materials? When you chop down a big tree, you actually get alot of wood compared to chopping down a small tree. You can farm mushrooms. ZOMBIES!!. Veins of gold and silver. lava and hellspawn. I fell down a hole and im out of torches! Is that ....is that a stick of dynamite? BOOM!. I wonder what happens when i break that one block holding tons of water away from my massive underground fortress. Good thing i can make flippers. Is that an island floating in the sky? Seriously?!!? Did a meteor really pick my house on a huge sized world to crash into? oooh meteor armor....thanks meteor...crash in anytime. Still cant reach the island in the sky. why is the moon red....MORE ZOMBIES. GIANT EYEBALL!. ITS DEAD! I killed the eyeball with one heart left HAHA...WTF STUPID SLIME KILLED ME. Alright island in the sky...you and me...and my JETPACK!.

Enough?

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    I feel it is unfair to leave SE++ out of it, so I will offer my last copy of Terraria to one of you...Entropites? Entropians? Entropazoids?

Who knows.

What I do know is free Terraria for someone. Someone who can't afford it otherwise. Don't be a cheapass.

And don't bother asking if you have two posts. Go fuck yourself.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    Sell you on it...hum

Do you like resource gathering? do you appriciate that the neccessary monsters in these kinds of games that you kill also provide you with raw materials? When you chop down a big tree, you actually get alot of wood compared to chopping down a small tree. You can farm mushrooms. ZOMBIES!!. Veins of gold and silver. lava and hellspawn. I fell down a hole and im out of torches! Is that ....is that a stick of dynamite? BOOM!. I wonder what happens when i break that one block holding tons of water away from my massive underground fortress. Good thing i can make flippers. Is that an island floating in the sky? Seriously?!!? Did a meteor really pick my house on a huge sized world to crash into? oooh meteor armor....thanks meteor...crash in anytime. Still cant reach the island in the sky. why is the moon red....MORE ZOMBIES. GIANT EYEBALL!. ITS DEAD! I killed the eyeball with one heart left HAHA...WTF STUPID SLIME KILLED ME. Alright island in the sky...you and me...and my JETPACK!.

Enough?

what about when i chop down a big tree..... vs. big rock, or house vs....... slime? does building...... help w/r/t food? can I......crash!! enormous TNT bomb! do you see lava....I DO! thank god for shields :) craft new items (wings)

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've already bought enough impulse games lately... Anyone want to go in on the four-pack from Steam?

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Who wants to run a server for this game? This guy.

I haven't bought it yet but I will be soon.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    too busy playing minecraft to play this, sorry

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've already bought enough impulse games lately... Anyone want to go in on the four-pack from Steam?

I'm game!

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just found a Magic Mirror

teleports me to my spawn when I use it

infinite uses

hell yesssss

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    scratch that, i'm impatient, i'm just gonna buy it myself. would only save a few bucks

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wow, it's only 16 MB

Those were the days

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

what the shit

Exactly. I can't speak for everyone, but a 23 part LP explaining how to play a game makes not want to play said game.

tl;dr: slimes keep attacking and attacking and attacking and attacking and attacking.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I just bought it, played single player for ten minutes and quit. Looks fun but it kinda throws you into the thick of things...

I mean, so does Minecraft but Minecraft doesn't have nearly the variety of sheer number of objects nor craftable items - and the size of the blocks makes a big difference. I feel like they should be a bit bigger.

I'm going to have to dedicate more time to it later to decide for sure.

Also I haven't touched MP yet, so....

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know, I feel like I'd be more interested if it weren't just a constant, non-stop stream of enemies. Minecraft makes securing areas really straightforward, but this looks like you're just constantly getting swarmed by enemies. I feel like I'd just get annoyed after a while.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I just bought it, played single player for ten minutes and quit. Looks fun but it kinda throws you into the thick of things...

I mean, so does Minecraft but Minecraft doesn't have nearly the variety of sheer number of objects nor craftable items - and the size of the blocks makes a big difference. I feel like they should be a bit bigger.

I'm going to have to dedicate more time to it later to decide for sure.

Also I haven't touched MP yet, so....

I did the exact same thing, watching the LP has helped quite a bit actually and even though its 23 parts each part is pretty short.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    The LP is an older build. Slimes spawn much more reasonably in single player. Multiplayer it is fair game. At night I died to like, five zombies and four flying demon eyes.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm sure this game is very entertaining and everything, and I'm probably just really shallow, but I can't look at the Player Characters for this game and not see them as lazily-edited Final Fantasy sprites.

Rogue Lemon on
    Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ff5 is my favorite so I actually enjoy the sprites eff tha haters

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I feel it is unfair to leave SE++ out of it, so I will offer my last copy of Terraria to one of you...Entropites? Entropians? Entropazoids?

Who knows.

What I do know is free Terraria for someone. Someone who can't afford it otherwise. Don't be a cheapass.

And don't bother asking if you have two posts. Go fuck yourself.

I will doodle you a drawing your this free copy.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm watching the lets play of this. Will I push buy before it's over? My curser is hovering, hovering.

Drool on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So yeah, this is pretty fun. Well worth $10.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man, they're slow spawning in single player? Christ. They're fucking everywhere.

I'd like to get some help with what to do next.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    friend and I played the hell out of this for like 4 hours

3 of us on the server for most of it

I've got a partial set of iron armor (rest is copper), a gold sword, hermes boots, a +1 defense item, breathing reed, and a bunch of other shit.

We almost have enough lenses to summon up
    THE EYE OF CTHULHU
    but we're not quite ready gear-wise.

Fuck I spent way too long playing this instead of working.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So the worlds don't autosave, but your character does... which means while I get to re-build everything I made in the last two hours, I don't have to re-collect everything.

I had a pretty awesome cliff-side house going, too. Oh well.

Aistan on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh god it's 3AM. :(

Drool on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just bought it. Too bad I won't be able to play this at all until after work tomorrow.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Drool wrote: »
    Oh god it's 3AM. :(

My sentiments towards this game, exactly.

Marshmallow on