As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deus Ex: A sudden influx of "user generated previews"

BullioBullio Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
The old, spoilertastic first thread if you want to look through it for some silly reason. The second thread for cool people.

deus_ex.jpg

Wikipedia, go!
Deus Ex is a cyberpunk-themed action role-playing game developed by Ion Storm Inc. and published by Eidos Interactive in the year 2000, which combines gameplay elements of first-person shooters with those of role playing games.

Set in a dystopian world during the 2050s, the central plot follows rookie United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition agent JC Denton, as he sets out to combat terrorist forces, which have become increasingly prevalent in a world slipping ever further into chaos. As the plot unfolds, Denton becomes entangled in a deep and ancient conspiracy, encountering fictional recreations of organizations such as Majestic 12, the Illuminati, and the Hong Kong Triads throughout his journey.

A GOTY edition with multiplayer was released later, and is the version up on digital distros. A PS2 version (Deus Ex: The Conspiracy) was also released with prerendered movies for the intro and the endings, among other changes. See the spoiler.
DeusEx.jpg

But before you do, you may want to consider the following.

Shifter mod does a bunch of tweaking to the game to make it better, and reinstates some lost/cut content.

The High Definition Texture Project aims to update DX's textures to look more modern. The version here is not finished, but what's in it looks good. Many people bitch about the game looking ugly, but these people suck. Also, this can be annoying to get working with the Steam version. See here for info/fixes.

Unreal engine D3D10 renderer adds D3D10 support for Unreal Engine games. You get fancier shadows and a bunch of other stuff that I know little about.

New Vision aims to replace all of the game's world textures with high res versions. Currently in beta, but again, what's there looks good.

This Ultra High Quality mod basically does the same as HDTP and the D3D10 renderer (I think), but looks like it's tweaked somewhat. Don't know much about it since I only found it while looking for vids for this OP.

If the game runs too fast for you, look here. Those with widescreen monitors see there, or here.

BioMod changes mod behavior, auto item switching (lockpicks for doors needing them, etc), regen is more Halo-ish, among other things. [strike]Currently in beta[/strike] No longer in beta? Thanks to our very own Lork for cooking this up!

There are also custom campaign mods, though I have no experience with them. Probably the most well known is The Nameless Mod, which is rather spiffy (or so I've been told).

Misc, very important, stuff. And a very helpful walkthrough.

logo.jpg

This is the sequel. It is not as good as the first one. These are objective statements.

Wikipedia, again.
Invisible War takes place twenty years after Deus Ex, in a world being rebuilt after a catastrophic event called The Collapse. Following a terrorist attack that destroys the city of Chicago, the player assumes the role of Alex D, a trainee at the fictional Tarsus Academy, whose support is sought by several organizations. As the game progresses, the player learns of conspiratorial factions which seek to drastically change the world.

It was launched on PC and Xbox simultaneously. It's more action/FPS oriented than the first game, no doubt due in part to being designed for a console.

To get widescreen enabled, check here.

There are a few interesting utilities here, including a settings tweaker and a surround sound fix.

Also, a unified texture pack that collects a few different custom high-res texture packs can be found here.

DX3_Logo21.png

First, and most importantly
elb67l.jpg
More info has come out since E3, but not a lot new regarding the plot. Most of what we know about the plot has been derived from the various trailers that have been released (see below). The game is sounding very promising so far (promising meaning much more reminiscent of DX than IW). Again with the Wiki.
The game takes place during the year 2027, 25 years before Deus Ex. Nanotechnological augmentations have yet to be developed and biomechanical augmentations are the current state of the art. The main character, Adam Jensen, is a private security officer with a company that specializes in these augmentations. He witnesses a chilling attack on his company, and "the conspiracy begins."

The events in the game will lead to the formation of UNATCO from the original game.

There's a whole bunch of art and info in the form of an FAQ over here.

Eurogamer (among other sites) has a batch of screens, some of which are from in game (but most likely all gussied up).

Trailers in spoiler. Yes, those are PS3 and 360 logos at the end of the E3 trailer. Special edition and pre-order details.
deus.jpg

The special edition (dubbed the Augmented Edition) will be $10 more and include the stuff pictured above. Overall a very standard special edition. Europe, NZ, and Australia also get a "very special (ie more expensive) Collector's Edition" that includes everything in the limited edition plus an Adam Jensen figure (most likely the fancy NECA one).

The game is available for pre-order at various locales, and is continuing the trend of exclusive seller content. GameStop gets a special bonus mission featuring a DX character. If you don't want to know who it is, don't click the spoiler below (or the link above). Europe limited edition pre-orders include all of the retailer pre-order bonuses in one tidy package.
tracertong.jpg
Other places get weapon packs.

PC people may feel free to pre-order wherever they want as the PC version is using Steamworks.
A prequel novel titled Deus Ex: Icarus Effect written by James Swallow (one of the game's writers) is out now. It actually sounds like an above average game-related novel.

Get on a path to a better you with Sarif Industries today!

The PC port is shaping up to actually be good and not a lazy copy/paste of the console version. Some of the PC-specific features include a different HUD, save options (quick, normal, and I guess checkpoints as well?), Steamworks, DX11, AMD Eyefinity, full mouse support (like scrolling through menus and in-game reading material), various graphics options, and remappable controls. PC specs in the spoiler.
Minimum PC Specs:
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 with DirectX 9.0c
Processor: 2 GHz dual core
RAM: 1 GB RAM (Windows XP) / 2 GB (Windows Vista and Windows 7)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8000 series or ATI Radeon HD 2000 series or better
Required Disc Space: 8.5 GB

Recommended PC Specs:
Operating System: Windows 7
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 or Intel Core 2 Quad or better
RAM: 2 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5850
Required Disc Space: 8.5 GB

steam_sig.png
Bullio on

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, saying what a shame:

Too much?

chiasaur11 on
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oooh, Icarus Effect is out :o:o

Also, goddamn you August, get here faster

Kami on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I reinstalled the Steam version...

The magic continues.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The game is like 700 mb. I don't even know who you people are that ever uninstall these days.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seeing the PC HUD really makes me want to go out and buy a capable PC...

Cannon Goose on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    August can't come too soon.

NickTheNewbie on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    August can't come too soon.

And released as soon as I start my Fall classes. Sigh.

Dragkonias on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Don't think you'll have to upgrade too much.

Although I love the clean look HR has it doesn't look too demanding technically.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I eagerly await the day when "I just did a Fridge run" is a rite of passage worthy of being put on a t-shirt.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For the OP:

elb67l.jpg

Jintor on
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Although I love the clean look HR has it doesn't look too demanding technically.

Really? Well, here are my specs:

iMac running Windows 7 32-bit on Boot Camp
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz processor
    2.5GB RAM
    Nvidia 7300GT 128MB

Looks like I meet most of the minimum requirements :P But I've been kind of wanting to upgrade my PC a bit anyway. Not a major upgrade as I'm not a huge PC gamer, but this thing is about four years old and is starting to feel pretty sluggish.

Cannon Goose on
    edited May 2011
    Processor and RAM sound fine, your card is pretty aged though.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You just know it's stocked with nothing but lemon soda too.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Really? Well, here are my specs:

iMac running Windows 7 32-bit on Boot Camp
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz processor
    2.5GB RAM
    Nvidia 7300GT 128MB

Looks like I meet most of the minimum requirements :P But I've been kind of wanting to upgrade my PC a bit anyway. Not a major upgrade as I'm not a huge PC gamer, but this thing is about four years old and is starting to feel pretty sluggish.

drop a couple hundred bucks on a Nvidia GTX460 1GB videocard and your machine will be set for another couple of years for most games, including Human Revolution.

Dhalphir on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not on an iMac, he ain't.

Zxerol on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I missed that line. Whoops.

I don't know how upgrading a Mac works.

Dhalphir on
    edited May 2011
    You can upgrade RAM and hard drive, but nothing else.

Cannon Goose on
    edited May 2011
    the stories were true!

i don't understand why a relatively decent processor would be bundled with a relatively decent amount of RAM and then such a terrible graphics card.

Dhalphir on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    14jotud.jpg

Doodled this over a working lunch. Need a quote to display the image. Someone do a proper version with photoshop because I suck at drawing.

Spoilered for your h-scroll.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    14jotud.jpg

Doodled this over a working lunch. Need a quote to display the image. Someone do a proper version with photoshop because I suck at drawing.

Spoilered for your h-scroll.

amazing.

Nuzak on
    edited May 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    the stories were true!

i don't understand why a relatively decent processor would be bundled with a relatively decent amount of RAM and then such a terrible graphics card.

It actually came with only 1GB of RAM. This was the absolute lowest end iMac you could get when it came out.

Still, it used to run Half-life 2 great until Valve updated the Source engine... :(

Cannon Goose on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgOKduU05t4

holy fuck did i laugh!
    gj!

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On the DX site for the 'unlockable goodies' Facebook thing, the second item is a video of the dev team going to a firing range for a day. Apparently the casings thing was missed, but seeing as one of them said he was surprised the guns kicked up because he "thought the recoil would be straight back," I'm glad they went.

This is a fantastic thing and every dev team ever should be forced to do this. Then maybe we'd have more shooters that aren't filled with nothing but airsoft guns.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Here's some fucking culture on the first page (second for you default people).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPK_oXeJgA

BlackDove on
    edited May 2011
    Also this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFB8Rmy-Sc

Fuck I haven't been this excited for a game in so long.

mere_immortal on
    edited May 2011
    It'll go head to head with Witcher 2 for RPG of the year.

I think we'll have to have SciFi RPG of the year and Medieval RPG of the year.

BlackDove on
    edited May 2011
    Skyrim has a better chance than Witcher 2 of being up there.

The_Scarab on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »

Damn you. Normally I can avoid the typical response to a Deus Ex mention, but goddamn that music is so nostalgic. Now I have to try reinstalling.

SithDrummer on
    edited May 2011
    Skyrim has a better chance than Witcher 2 of being up there.

I doubt that.

Other than the "OH MY GOD BETHESDA" and Elder Scrolls nostalgia, that engine is still Gamebryo (they lied, Creation Engine is just a code branch of Gamebryo, just not the one Oblivion/Fallout went down with) and the game has just about nothing going for it other than the Elder Scrolls lore, which after Oblivion, isn't on so solid a footing. Whilst Todd Howard and his team are a group of very intelligent men, and while I'm certain they'll have success with Skyrim, I doubt the game will distinguish itself much.

After actually playing the Witcher 2, I can certainly say that Skyrim needs to be something revolutionary to contend in the race.

But alas, this is all off topic.

Refrigerators are cool.
    BlackDove wrote: »

Damn you. Normally I can avoid the typical response to a Deus Ex mention, but goddamn that music is so nostalgic. Now I have to try reinstalling.

I chide you for not having it installed already.

One of the first things I do when buying a new computer, is installing Deus Ex on it, and getting it to run with the Unreal code branch that supports Direct3D 10, and widescreen.

Then, and only then, can we claim that the computer is operational.

BlackDove on
    edited May 2011
    Every single preview of Skyrim has been positive. And their last two games were Games of the Year, not just RPG of the year. While the Witcher 2 is very good, it doesn't have that pedigree nor the penetration into the broader market, which most games outlets cater to.

The_Scarab on
  • KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I keep forgetting how far August is down the road... sigh.

Khaczor on
    edited May 2011
    Every single preview of Skyrim has been positive. And their last two games were Games of the Year, not just RPG of the year. While the Witcher 2 is very good, it doesn't have that pedigree nor the penetration into the broader market, which most games outlets cater to.

I don't know about the pedigree or penetration of the market, nor am I concerned with whether or not the big boys can pay big bucks to market a bag of shit or a lump of gold.

I'm talking about objectively and qualitatively judging a product and framing it within its genre, with all past entries within it standing beside it.

Bethesda's last two games were certainly contenders (and winners in some places) for Games of the Year, but both Oblivion and Fallout 3 (New Vegas being Obsidian) had crippling deficiencies which stood out rather glaringly when judging the products objectively. They were really good for their time, certainly, but times change, and the bar rises.

I'm not saying Skyrim doesn't stand a chance. I'm just saying the likelihood of it matching the bar Witcher 2 sets is contentious. I must say that, personally, I hold little faith in Bethesda to outmatch this offering.

I obviously reserve the right to be wrong, and in fact, hope that I am.

BlackDove on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Talking about objectivity in videogames is a lost cause more than half the time.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited May 2011
    Granted.

BlackDove on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    oh my god i cannot wait for this game oh my gawd

MikeMan on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really need to finish the original game. I just suck with keyboard and mouse games (stupid, crippled hands). I really wish my XBox controller would work with it.

Nightslyr on
    edited May 2011
    it is kind of silly that they set it in 2027. i mean, i know why they had to... the original deus ex timeline and all that jazz

it just seems more and more absurd once you think about it. 2027 is 16 years from now. the world in the trailer looks at least a hundred years out. giant, gleaming, unrecognizably high-tech cities, nanoaugs, invisibility, superhuman cyborgs... all in 16 years

MikeMan on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    unatco?

VALVEjunkie on
    edited May 2011
    U-...unatco?

MikeMan on
This discussion has been closed.