As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: transfarrin' to a new thread

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's interesting how people are quick to decry Angry Birds as a ripoff when we're talking about an industry where 95 percent of the products are veeeeeeery similar to stuff that came out before. I mean, people don't really freak out about how every FPS has swiped Halo's recharging health thing.

Though the heads of Rovio have managed to pump out some asshole statements from time to time. I guess having a monster success does that to some people.

At any rate, the info about overheating has been removed from Rockstar's tech support page. Maybe they realized it wasn't happening... or maybe it's a coverup! Dum dum dum!

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't like Angry Birds because it isn't a fun game. This is all IMO, of course.

Still, because its a stupid game to me, its success baffles me.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Of course everything's a ripoff. WoW's another ripoff with phenomenal success.

That's why Angry Birds' success is a matter of pure luck that ultimately can't teach us anything. Everyone else rips off everyone else just as much and most of them don't get that lucky.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Angry Birds is pretty much just Boom Blox with birds. I personally love the game, and can't wait for them to release the Wii and/or 3DS version of the game that's upcoming.

But yea, it's not original by any stretch of the imagination and as of now Rovio has not proven themselves that great of developers as all they've done was take a rather simple flash concept and fell into their success. Now all they've done is continue to milk their one game by adding silly stuff to it like seasons and Rio.

I look forward to them making a new game to see if they have the skill to do something else, or if they truly are the one hit wonders they seem to be.

Also speaking of Behemoth, they need to step up and start making their games a bit faster. It's been how many years since Castle Crashers, and how many years before that they made Hominid?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I would not be surprised if future Rovio games are extremely successful, but at this point would we be able to say it's because the game's good quality, or chalk it up to the power of 200 million advertisements that people are definitely going to see?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think the lesson is that cute, colorful animals > knights?

yeah - thats exactly it and I really don't get why people still think its all luck.

when you have two, nearly identical gameplay mechanics in the store, and one outsells the other by a lot - it is not luck. It has nothing to do with luck, whatsoever. If it was luck, and people just blindly picked one or the other, they would have equal sales.

i had no idea Crush the Castle was even on iPhone. I knew of the flash game, but honestly the flash game didn't look as smooth, didn't really have any polish on it, and was alright fun.

Angry Birds is the same alright fun, but Rovio was smart and made it appeal to everyone. No one is clamoring for the generic looking Knight on a T-shirt. Little kids don't want a Crush the Castle cake with random medieval characters on it.

Rovio created coloful, unique characters. Marketable characters. Eye catching, unique characters. People clicked on Angry Birds because it simply looked better, and looked more complete, and looked more like a real game because of its art style.

Yeah, its a ripoff of Crash the Castle. But as other people posted, everything is a ripoff of something by now. Saints Row is a ripoff of GTA. Castle Crashers is a ripoff of every beat 'em up that ever came before it. But Castle Crashers looked unique, and made decisions about how it's presented and marketed and its a massive success.

Rovio, as a company, may be a one hit wonder, but I don't get why that even matters. They made a good game. I really dont care if they ever do anything again. Whatever they do in the future will have no bearing on if I'm enjoying Angry Birds.

But to say they're no better than Gameloft, or that its luck, is silly. Gameloft copies the titles, the fonts, the music, the art and the design of every game it rips off. It borders on deception. They're trying to get you to buy something based off of thinking "Well, HALO is fun, so I bet HOLOZ is too!" or whatever.

Angry Birds didn't try to fool anyone, and didnt try to ripoff the 'success' of Crash the Castle. It used the same game idea - but the rest is entirely them. And they did a great job on it.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tommatt wrote: »
    So this overheating thing, it's real? I told a couple people on FB about it who ps3 regularly. Told them it might be BS though, or la noir related only.

If it's true, and they don't inform consumers, that's twice they didn't (the hack being the first thing). If I didnt come here I wouldn't know about it.

And they got hacked again apparently?

I just feel bad for them at this point. But they have lost my confidence as a consumer. Years ago I stopped buying Sony cameras/etc.... Because of paprierotary (I'm spelling that wrong, ie you have to buy Sony memory cards, tri pods, etc.... Because they dont make their shit universal, or at least to) memory formats, and accessories.

Sony makes good shit, the PS3 is no exception. It is a fantastic media device, and gaming machine. Their tv's are top notch, as are their other consumer electronics. So hopefully someone else can make a baseball game As good as MLB the show soon. But how can I buy a PS4 now? Maybe the not PSP2 depending on price at some point. But, I dunno...

Tl;dr lolsony?

-posted on iPhone sorry for typos

The LA Noire bit sounded like a shitty excuse to cover up the games faults. Freezing issues have been reported on both system and the overheating (YLOD) was probably a coincidence. As Bluefist mentioned, a similar thing happened when FFXIII came out, one guy even filed a class action lawsuit against Sony and Square Enix.

As for the 'hack', it was an exploit of the password recovery website Sony has and it's been taken down. Ridiculous oversight by Sony but there's no point being concerned about it now. And even though the hackers from the original attack may have peoples details, it's not like they're suddenly going to surface just to get access to PSN accounts which currently can't do a whole lot but sync trophies and play online. I doubt they'd risk it.

Oh and don't Sony cameras use SD cards now anyway?
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It's interesting how people are quick to decry Angry Birds as a ripoff when we're talking about an industry where 95 percent of the products are veeeeeeery similar to stuff that came out before. I mean, people don't really freak out about how every FPS has swiped Halo's recharging health thing.

Though the heads of Rovio have managed to pump out some asshole statements from time to time. I guess having a monster success does that to some people.

At any rate, the info about overheating has been removed from Rockstar's tech support page. Maybe they realized it wasn't happening... or maybe it's a coverup! Dum dum dum!

It's also funny how people attribute Angry Birds' gameplay to Crush the Castle, when Crush the Castle was itself a ripoff of Castle Clout.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

It's also funny how people attribute Angry Birds' gameplay to Crush the Castle, when Crush the Castle was itself a ripoff of Castle Clout.
    Difference being that Crush the Castle was upfront about it.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Also, Rovio is absolutely nutty with free updates. We're not talking the occasional level here or there, we're talking how 10 of the 13 worlds in Angry Birds were released AFTER the game first came out. And each world has 15-25 levels in it. It's an insane amount of stuff for your money (or ad-watching). They've done the same thing for Seasons and Rio. That kind of thing builds brand loyalty.

Not to mention the characters are appealing. I'm already seeing people wearing Angry Birds t-shirts.

And the fact that the game is accessible. And... if you can believe it... fun.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Is there anything unique about the stats we're getting for Angry Birds? Are they being more vocal about their sales than any other companies? What do we have to compare to them?

Angry Birds has 504,000 ratings on iTunes. How many unique downloads has it had on iDevices? assume 100 million, maybe? Crush the Castle has 23,000 ratings on iTunes. If we extrapolate the same way we can assume it's had 4,600,000 downloads, right?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And... if you can believe it... fun.

I can't :P

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wonder why we haven't seen a version of angry birds on the 360. I want the game but I own no cellphone or a PS3.

I really wish they'd hurry up and give me one of the other versions.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The lesson of the success of Angry Birds is that game design is nothing without marketing and vice-versa.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I wonder why we haven't seen a version of angry birds on the 360. I want the game but I own no cellphone or a PS3.

Do you own a PC?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/aknpkdffaafgjchaibgeefbgmgeghloj

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Do you own a PC?

Yep, everyone can get it now for free. So now you can try it for yourself, if you aren't afraid of catching [strike]cooties[/strike] teh casuals.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Do you own a PC?

Hmmm....maybe I'll buy this, as a PC version should work fine for me.

Edit: Cloud, my favorite console of this generation is the Wii, teh casuals has caught me! D:

:P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The lesson of the success of Angry Birds is that game design is nothing without marketing and vice-versa.

Right - I heard about Angry Birds waaay back in early 2010 (I believe from the PA iPhone thread actually) as a fun little time waster that was like Crush the Castle, and that it was on sale for 59p, which was...less common then than it is now. 2 weeks later it was at the top of the charts - a combination of word of mouth buzz (due to the universal appeal and low cost of entry), and once you're at the top of the App Store charts you stay there as long as word of mouth is good - it's an advert that every single damn iDevice user sees when they book up the store. And as many have said, it's a better and better value proposition with every update.

The real lesson from Angry Birds is that profit from iPhone Apps can only reach a truly significant level if you reach a critical mass of users - every copy sold is a mini-vote towards getting in that coveted top 10 - when you've cracked that for more than a week, hopefully all of the marketing and discounting you've expended to get there will pay off. And that only works if dev costs are very low, and you get at least a little lucky - hence why traditional publishers fear and loathe it as a model.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think most people are tired of the bird talk so how about some real video game news, seems the PSN store will be up next week:

May 24, what could go wrong?
    Barring any additional problems, Sony plans to bring the PlayStation Store back online next Tuesday, May 24, according to a memo sent to the console's publishing partners.

The company has sent a tentative publishing schedule to partners detailing when their games, expansions and other releases will become available to players. In the memo, obtained by Gamasutra, Sony unveils plans to do two content pushes per week for the next two weeks to catch up with the backlog of content.

"We thank you for your patience as we work to resume service of the PlayStation Store," wrote PSN content manager Jack Osorno to developer partners.

The first push, set to coincide with the PlayStation Store's reopening, will distribute content that was originally scheduled to publish on April 26. Three days later on the 27th, another round of games will go live, which were originally scheduled for May 3.

The following week, pushes will take place on May 31 and June 3, using content that originally had been planned to be spread over three weeks. At that point, the company will be back on schedule and, presumably, return to a single content push per week.

While Sony is trying to maintain the queue that was already in place, the company says it is willing to move some titles around, depending on urgency. Seemingly, this would include DLC packs for existing titles that have already released expansions on other platforms.

"If there are concerns, we are willing to consider adjusting the release date of your content on this schedule," says Osorno. "Adjustments will be made on a case by case basis."

The launch of the PlayStation Store is one of the final steps to bringing the PlayStation Network back to full operation. Sony has said many times that it expected the network to be fully operational before the end of May.

Osorno's note does not detail what plans, if any, Sony has to assist developers who were impacted by the outage.

In some cases, that impact has been substantial. Capcom corporate officer and SVP Christian Svensson, for instance, has previously estimated the company's lost revenue from the outage as being in the "hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars."

Other developers have remained more supportive of Sony, but have made public appeals to the company to assist them with marketing their titles once the Store goes back online so that they might recoup any losses.

Sony, though, is actually in something of a power position -- especially with smaller developers. Despite the security crisis, the company remains one of the most powerful players in the video game industry, so few, if any, small shops are going to make a lot of noise complaining about the way they feel they have been treated. While some could jump to Microsoft's Xbox Live platform, they're unlikely to do so immediately.

For consumers, the relaunch of the PlayStation Store should get them one step closer to being able to claim the contents of their "Welcome Back" package. As detailed on Sony's U.S. PlayStation Blog, PlayStation 3 owners with existing PSN accounts will be able to download two free games from a pool that includes Dead Nation, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, Super Stardust HD and Wipeout HD.

Sony has said that those (and other) freebies would be made available once services are fully restored.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That should be the new tag line:

Angry Birds: Not a Real Video Game.

:P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    I think most people are tired of the bird talk so how about some real video game news, seems the PSN store will be up next week:

May 24, what could go wrong?
    Barring any additional problems, Sony plans to bring the PlayStation Store back online next Tuesday, May 24, according to a memo sent to the console's publishing partners.

snip

So, planning on bringing the store back up after the Rapture, eh? Clever girl.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So, planning on bringing the store back up after the Rapture, eh? Clever girl.

You know, you all joke, but this is serious. You should all be preparing, and making your peace with God and our lord and saviour Jesus Christ.

I'm just fucking with ya :P

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The real question is....can I bring my 3DS?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In Heaven everything is 4D.

Unless it gets hacked by some hell raising trouble makers from the south.

Cade on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Length, breadth, depth, and time?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    In Heaven everything is 4D.

Unless it gets hacked by some hell raising trouble makers from the south.

Rapture postponed for 4 weeks because of Anon

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Anon denies responsibility, claimes a offshoot branch responsible.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know who you're talking about.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know who you're talking about.

That's because they're... *sunglasses* ...Anonymous.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    God waits a week before informing us that our harps may or may not have been compromised.

D:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And Lo, the Angry Birds carried the avian flu across the globe in an irritable fashion, its victims laughing to death at the furious creatures.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well I'm sure the results of this poll will be unilaterally agreed on as correct by all
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-19-dev-poll-molyneux-is-1-industry-hero
    Fable and Populous mastermind Peter Molyneux is the video game industry's top developer "hero", according to a poll of his peers.

As reported by USA Today, 9000 developers were asked to name their development hero in a PeekScore survey.

The Lionhead boss came out on top, followed by Nintendo talisman Shigeru Miyamoto and Braid creator Jonathan Blow.

Take a look at the top 10 below, then commence debate. Keep it clean.

1. Peter Molyneux (Populous, Fable)
    2. Shigeru Miyamoto (Mario, Zelda)
    3. Jonathan Blow (Braid)
    4. Will Wright (SimCity, The Sims)
    5. John Carmack (Doom, Quake)
    6. Mike Morhaime (World of Warcraft, StarCraft)
    7. David Braben (Elite)
    8. Sid Meier (Sid Meier's Civilization, Sid Meier's Pirates)
    9. Masaya Matsuura (PaRappa the Rapper)
    10. Dave Jones (Lemmings, GTA)

Voted on by developers. Go figure!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This can't help but end well. Thanks!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This can't help but end well. Thanks!

At least Peter Vesterbacka's not on there..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Of course devs aspire to be like Peter Mollynews.

He's the best he is at what he does. BSing you into buying his games, no matter how many times you say"Nu uh, not gonna get me this time."

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It says a lot about Elite that Braben is still on such a list.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It says a lot about Elite that Braben is still on such a list.

But, as someone pointed out in the comments, no mention of Bell.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    Well I'm sure the results of this poll will be unilaterally agreed on as correct by all
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-19-dev-poll-molyneux-is-1-industry-hero
    Fable and Populous mastermind Peter Molyneux is the video game industry's top developer "hero", according to a poll of his peers.

As reported by USA Today, 9000 developers were asked to name their development hero in a PeekScore survey.

The Lionhead boss came out on top, followed by Nintendo talisman Shigeru Miyamoto and Braid creator Jonathan Blow.

3. Jonathan Blow (Braid)
    7. David Braben (Elite)

This is all wrong. All so wrong. Where do you start?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, where's Uwe Boll?!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

3. Jonathan Blow (Braid)
    7. David Braben (Elite)

This is all wrong. All so wrong. Where do you start?

Hell, I'll start.

Jonathan Blow got on there after one game? Dave Jones is the driving force behind GTA? Who the hell is David Braben? Sid Meier isn't higher? And the only other non-western guy besides Shiggy is friggin' Masaya Matsuura??

And that number one guy.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't get that list. Like, at all.
    It's missing the Angry Bird devs!

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111