As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Sounds terrible. Can you provide a link, noir?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »

In other cartoon news, a trailer for Superman vs. Elite is out;

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/749050/superman-vs-the-elite-trailer.jhtml#id=1681043

The style is really, really cartoony. Curious if that'll jive with the subject material.

It doesn't, Mahnke's style works with the current Young Justice/Crisis on Two Earths/Red Hood style.

I can see the padding in the trailer already, which makes me worried. Some politician guy talking about Superman not being modern enough in some dragged out town hall scene, and Dr. Light showing up? Keep him away from Lois, please.

It still has the kids playing superhero scene, and the moon confrontation, so I don't feel all is lost, but after JL: Doom, I think I'm going to wait on it, and not rent it on day one.

• Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not feeling Ultimate Spider-Man at all. I'm going to give it a chance of course though.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    The animation on Ultimate Spider-Man looks pretty smooth though

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I don't think that the armor is going to be a permanent thing since he's not wearing it in most of the clips, and web-swinging is too iconic to replace with a motorcycle. I'm guessing that the main change is going to be the upgraded web-shooter, which is toyetic (that's a marketing word, right?) but doesn't mess with the character too much.

But yeah, I'm not feeling the show. Maybe it's because I'm several years older than the target audience.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    It looks kinda like Deadpool for kids

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Also Peter's face looks really weird to me. Like chunky or something, there's just something off.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    He looks like the guy from CAD

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Just saw Green Lantern.
    Wasn't as bad as expected. It was still a disappointing movie. At times it seems they almost show its potential only to do nothing with it. There are a few spots that have plot holes. For example, why the fear energy gives Hammond his powers, why they're nothing like Parallax's and how Parallax suddenly shows up out of nowhere on Earth after Hammond gets his ass kicked by GL. A huge sentient homicidal death cloud would be noticed by numerous governments and they'd sent in heavy artillery asap not leave it alone. Hal's fear not only annoying it makes no sense. Hal being that afraid would make him a terrible test pilot, never mind space cop.

Almost all the aliens are given little character. Sinestro shows the most, with Tomar-Re second. The Guardians look incredibly incompetent. They may have built Oa and the GLC but we're shown little reason that they're wise. Parallax is given no depth at all, which is frustrating. Krona using the fear energy for his own ends would have made a good villain with the right writing.

The film constantly reinforcing characters who are different counterparts to Hal for no reason is grating. Hal having a young cousin who appears to be himself when he was a kid didn't go anywhere. Nor was he fleshed out enough to care about him, either. Hammond makes the most sense for that role, yet they constantly dropped the ball. We're given little reason to know why he's a failure other than what his asshole father (who steals any scene he's in they should have merged that character with Hammond IMO). Constantly whining that he's a loser and comparing himself to Hal and vice versa really hurts the conflict between the two. Nuance was needed there, viewers would have connected the two without being reminded again and again that they're similar.

The movie's also dull. I rarely felt anything was on the line at any point, excluding parallax's battle with Abin Sur. There's nothing to fear from him when he has no personality, doesn't do anything on screen until the finale and the prologue and Hammond gets the most screen time instead. Parallax killing him for fucking up against Hal was a dick move. Surely it would have been a better idea to team up with him once he landed on Earth.

The light hearted humor was not needed. It was not executed well, unlike in Marvel's films, needed to be darker in tone and used much less. Besides, it suited Kyle better than Hal.

Lively's Carol was interested. She came across as more relatable than Hal did. Unfortunately they made her a damsel in distress (along with Waller) which defused how aggressive she was. I'd have liked to have seen her do something against Hammond even if was futile, like Mary-Jane in Spider-man 2.

Hammond's actor did well with what he had. Only he couldn't save it. It all fell apart when he fought Hal in the open. That fight was just to ridiculous to take seriously. When Hal revealed his identity to Hammond, it was a huge wtf? Hal might not be that smart, but that was a mistake most super-heroes realize is asking to be blackmailed or killed when they're vulnerable. he didn't even need to reveal his true identity after giving his ring to Hammond. All he had to do was cover his face with a mask before handing over the ring.

Next time the franchise needs a complete reboot. Make it more serious and have as Sinestro the big bad, not a goddamn evil cloud.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ging4Nqww

Lauren Faust most have some sort of anti-fail device to keep producing such wonderful stuff.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Lauren Faust most have some sort of anti-fail device to keep producing such wonderful stuff.

I'd like for DC to put on a female focussed animated series, like Wonder Woman or Birds of Prey, but that's never going to happen.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

I'd like for DC to put on a female focussed animated series, like Wonder Woman or Birds of Prey, but that's never going to happen.

Hey, I liked Birds of Prey! It had Shemar Moore in it and everything!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Supergirls part at the end upped the video from "good" to "fantastic" I thought.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    ehhhh

• Options
    Arivia wrote: »

Hey, I liked Birds of Prey! It had Shemar Moore in it and everything!

Fair enough. Personally, I loathed it. Didn't come close to the comic book's potential.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Supergirls part at the end upped the video from "good" to "fantastic" I thought.

Yeah. She was comedy gold. Their Donna Troy was had an inspired direction. Giving her a Greek voice was brilliant.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    ehhhh

Agree.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    It reminds me of Gotham Girls. This is a good thing.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I think it's quite amusing.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Hm. Needs to be more than 1 minute, really.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    One day the whole Amazon thing won't annoy me

Anyway, apart from that, fun times

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

the Amazon thing?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options

the Amazon thing?

yeah

the whole Amazon thing with the "we will bring peace to Man's world"

it bothers me

• Options

the Amazon thing?

yeah

it bothers me

oh, yeah, it's silly but comics engage in a lot of classical silliness so it doesn't bother me much

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options

the Amazon thing?

yeah

it bothers me

oh, yeah, it's silly but comics engage in a lot of classical silliness so it doesn't bother me much

It wouldn't bother me either

but Wonder Woman as a character seems to promote thought about gender politics (just like how Cap promotes thought about patriotism, and Iron Man promotes thought about the role and action of corporations etc)

and I am like "cool, okay, I will do that happily, that's a good and noble subject"

So then I think about the gender politics that Wonder Woman seems to promote and I think "yeah, I don't like that at all"

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I like that Carol Ferris bit and the Hawkpeople a lot too!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I wonder how cameo heavy it's going to be.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    They've said they want it to be pretty Lantern or Sci-Fi DC only

so I doubt the Justice League or Superman will be showing up anytime soon

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

the Amazon thing?

yeah

it bothers me

It wouldn't bother me either

but Wonder Woman as a character seems to promote thought about gender politics (just like how Cap promotes thought about patriotism, and Iron Man promotes thought about the role and action of corporations etc)

and I am like "cool, okay, I will do that happily, that's a good and noble subject"

So then I think about the gender politics that Wonder Woman seems to promote and I think "yeah, I don't like that at all"

The best WW runs I've read keeps the gender politics subtle, like Rucka's run. He took the series in a logical direction, including examining
    what WW would impact the media and politics (in general). Haven't seen either done well with Cap, though Iron Man excels occasionally.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

you know what'd be neat is if they had an episode or two about Raker Qarrigat

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

With Red, Blue, Sapphire already seen, I hope we don't have to wait too long for some Orange Lanterns and Larfleeze!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Larfleeze to be replaced by Alf to appeal to a younger demographic

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    we live in a strange bizzaro universe where alf is who we bring in for the "younger" demographic... that said orange lantern alf would be the greatest thing.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    CL, I think you might be old

I'm 26 and I barely know what Alf was

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm just throwing this out there... alf orange lantern vs the red lantern cat

• Options
    I'm just throwing this out there... alf orange lantern vs the red lantern cat

money's on dex-starr

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I want to see Streaky vs. Dex-Starr.

This discussion has been closed.