As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is my wife a lesbian and Other questions

suicidexcusesuicidexcuse Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I Made a thread a while back about finding out my wife had been lying to me about phone calls and talking to an ex of hers. Well After lots of fights it turns out she had an affair online. My wife had told this woman she wanted to gave sex with her. I'm not exactly sure how far it went but I called it cyber sex and she hasn't corrected me.

Anyways it looks like she wants to try and make our marriage work. She has stopped talking to this woman and we are trying to rebuild what we had.

The question I have is how do I stop being suspicious of her and learn to trust her again. I've got some trust issues and I was devastated by all this. Im not the same husband anymore. I stop myself from showing any kind of affection. Will it just take time? Or are some people just incapable of fOrgiving.

The other question I have is is it normal for one person to love the other more in a relationship? We've talked about this and she admits I clearly love her more. That's really hard to hear. But she keeps saying it's normal. As well I'm more attracted to her then she is to me. I recently discovered she doesn't get wet from heterosexual sex. She enjoys it and says she feels it inside wanting to have sex with me but only gets wet from homosexual sex. Does that make her gay? Im very sexually inexperienced so I had no idea she wasnt physically excited.

Any advice on this would be helpful. O and we have a young daughter so keep that in mind.

suicidexcuse on

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The easy answer (not easy solution) to the first part is go get some counselling. Maybe even couples counselling.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    I don't think it's that uncommon for one partner to love the other more, but then it's a very tricky thing to try to measure feelings because you can't really quantify them from person to person, and it's not something that it's necessary or desirable in this situation to get into.

Not to get explicit here, but to get somewhat explicit here, when you guys have sex, is it penetration and that's pretty much it? Because yeah, for many, many women that's pretty lame. Is it just the IDEA of heterosexual sex that we're talking about? She doesn't get excited thinking about a penis but she does get excited thinking about a vagina? Or are we talking about whether or not she gets wet DURING sex?

I don't think you're broken or anything, but it's up to you to figure out what you need to do or see to be happy in this relationship if that's what you want. Once you figure out what you will need, you need to communicate that clearly. It may take a counselor to do that. If you decide you're done, that's okay too.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Are you willing to forgive her? Are you going to resent her for this situation or could you honestly care less she did as long as she fessed up and never did it again? Do you feel "Once a cheater, always a cheater?" Those will help you pick how you want to act. If you're willing to forgive, then yeah you can return but you have to do it.

And yes, it is completely possible for someone to love the other more, or in different ways. While each of you could have deep and profound love for one another, she may not, for instance, hesitate to leave you if you lost an arm or something. This is something you should obviously talk with her about and find out why she thinks you love her more and what she thinks the difference between the two of you are.

I would say she's probably bisexual, though if she doesn't get sexually excited from heterosexual sex then she's probably gay, yes. She may want an emotional connection with a man, but may want sex with women. It may just be your technique or how you treat her that makes the difference. It could be you're too manly looking and she prefers more effeminate figures. I don't know.

Like all other "Sex with my significant other" threads, the biggest thing you can do is sit down and talk to each other about expectations, wants, needs, desires, etc. Don't ask a bunch of nerds on an internet forum what your wife is thinking or feeling, or her sexuality.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    I don't think it's that uncommon for one partner to love the other more, but then it's a very tricky thing to try to measure feelings because you can't really quantify them from person to person, and it's not something that it's necessary or desirable in this situation to get into.

Not to get explicit here, but to get somewhat explicit here, when you guys have sex, is it penetration and that's pretty much it? Because yeah, for many, many women that's pretty lame. Is it just the IDEA of heterosexual sex that we're talking about? She doesn't get excited thinking about a penis but she does get excited thinking about a vagina? Or are we talking about whether or not she gets wet DURING sex?

I don't think you're broken or anything, but it's up to you to figure out what you need to do or see to be happy in this relationship if that's what you want. Once you figure out what you will need, you need to communicate that clearly. It may take a counselor to do that. If you decide you're done, that's okay too.

No our sex isn't just penetration. But this isn't just a recent issue. She says with all her exes she always couldn't get very wet with guys but with woman it was the opposite. And this is about getting wet during sex. Most of the time we need saliva or lubricant, rarely can we do it without either. It just sucks thinking i can't excite my wife enough while she was probably wet having cyber sex.she was my first so I really don't know if this is an issue or common. I know it's only an issue if I choose it to be but I have my wife telling me she's lesbian then saying she's not and wants to stay together. It's hard not pick every little thing apart.

suicidexcuse on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Searching has been disabled, apparently, so can't just pull up your original post to find what it was that gave me this impression, but here was the impression I remember coming away with, OP: your trust issues are pretty deep and precede the situation with your wife. What I seem to recall (and correct me if any salient details are wrong) is that your wife asked you to fix her cell phone, and while doing that you checked her phone logs or email and discovered that she had been communicating with a woman in the Philippines. On the one hand, it's undoubtedly a good thing that this was brought out into the open so you could talk about it and address it, and in that sense it was a good thing. But at the same time, checking our wives' cell phone call logs isn't anything that most of us here would even conceive of doing despite the fact that we all had the means to do so. The facts as they've previously been related suggest to me that you didn't trust your wife even before the situation with the other woman came to light.

So, can you learn to trust her again? I don't know. Broadly speaking, I would say that yes, someone in your situation can theoretically be able to forgive his significant other of this transgression, which was limited in scope only to an expression of desire but not any physical contact. In your case specifically, though, you've been holding onto some mistrust towards your wife for a while. You may, in fact, be the sort of person who has a lot of experience holding tightly onto your mistrust but very little experience when it comes to forgiving it.

Since you acknowledge yourself that you have trust issues, I'd strongly consider seeking psychological counseling and therapy. I don't mean that as a negative reflection on you personally; lots of people have trust issues for reasons which are entirely logical. But I'm not sure you have all the tools in your toolbox that you need to work on this issue.

Since I'm only getting an impression on your wife through the prism of your own experiences and interpretations, I don't feel like I could make an educated guess about what's going on with her. Like Bowen said, you're going to have to continue talking about it and working on it regardless of what's going on.

SammyF on
  • Options
    LanchesterLanchester Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The question I have is how do I stop being suspicious of her and learn to trust her again. I've got some trust issues and I was devastated by all this. Im not the same husband anymore. I stop myself from showing any kind of affection. Will it just take time? Or are some people just incapable of fOrgiving.

There isn't really anything specific you can do or not do. Gaining back trust usually has to be done over time with experiences with one another that builds that trust. It will be up to you on whether you will be able to move past this in the future or not. Some people can, some can't.
    The other question I have is is it normal for one person to love the other more in a relationship? We've talked about this and she admits I clearly love her more. That's really hard to hear. But she keeps saying it's normal. As well I'm more attracted to her then she is to me. I recently discovered she doesn't get wet from heterosexual sex. She enjoys it and says she feels it inside wanting to have sex with me but only gets wet from homosexual sex. Does that make her gay? Im very sexually inexperienced so I had no idea she wasnt physically excited.

IMO, there are no degrees of love. You either love someone or you don't. It sounds like she is a really nice person, feels guilty about what has happened and wants to love you. I know that probably isn't what you want to hear, but that's my 2 cents

I would definitely recommend you both go to a counselor or some professional to help you out with this, especially since there is a kid involved. Good luck to you

Lanchester on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For reference, the OP's original thread can be found here, and I think it's fairly relevant.

OP, in that previous thread, basically every person who responded suggested that you look into marriage counseling. It's been two months; did you end up getting help? If not, why not? If so, was it useful?

You've mentioned that since your previous conflict, you've lost a lot of trust in your wife. What, if anything, has she done to regain it? Do you see evidence of her consciously working to improve her relationship with you?

Sex is important, and in a stable relationship, a question like "My wife doesn't get aroused during sex, what can I do?" would be well worth discussing. But right now, it seems to me that the rest of your relationship with her is so dysfunctional that the question of whether or not she gets off on the old in-and-out is the least of your concerns. You need to address your trust issues, and you need to figure out how you really feel about each other and about yourselves. It won't do you any good to research sexual techniques if she decides she just doesn't want to have sex with men anymore.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm NOT trying to sound immature here, but just trying to offer advice. How would you feel about talking with her about a possible threesome with another woman? Would that be something you'd do for her or would you think it'd only make things worse? Would it help you build trust or would it make things worse? That's something you can think about.

Alternatively, I'd try some different things with her in bed to try to get her more interested in being sexual with you. Fantasies, role play, toys, etc.

tardcore on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sorry should have put that in the OP, I do not want a threesome or any kind of polyamrous relationship. I'm sure they work for some people but I don't think me or my wife are emotionally stable enough for that.

As for counseling we talked about it but didn't pursue it because we had come to the conclusion that we will split up Ina year or so. As well I just started my first job in a year so we are both exhausted and just haven't found the energy to start looking. I'll bring up to her again to see what she says.

This is all so hard because she seems to have two sides to her. One minute she tells me we can stay friends and the next it's we need to stay together. I really feel like I don't know my own wife. She's told me she wants to have a relationship with a woman and everyone to know then saying she wants me. Ugh it's so frustrating.

suicidexcuse on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    It sounds like she wants polyamory, and we know that you don't, and those two things are pretty much mutually exclusive. I don't know that marriage counseling can fix that. It's worth a try, I suppose, and I always like to defend staying with relationships where possible, but it just doesn't sound to me like this is going to work because by your very relationship needs you can't be on the same page.

ceres on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At the end of your last thread, you concluded that "We are taking this on as a couple. We've talked about our problems and how we're going to handle it together. I'm going to start meeting needs she feels are lacking and vice versa. But I think we'll be fine in the end."

Has any of this happened? Because to me, albeit from a very internet-summarized and condensed version, it sounds like the exact same situation is still happening, except that you're more aware of how apparently unsatisfied she is with dick in vagina sex.

Brutal honesty time: it really sounds like she likes you as a person, is pretty content to have had a daughter with you, but wants nothing with what many people consider to be the heavy part of marriage. And you're enabling her to do this by putting your needs and expectations aside, possibly for your daughter but it more sounds like you're very afraid to rock the boat.

Talk with a counselor. Define what you each want from your marriage. Discuss with your wife real tangible goals for both of you to meet. If you meet them, great - but if you don't, it's over. Don't accept that you have to live with how she's treating you or how you're reacting to her, because otherwise you'll back here in another two months with "We said we were going to work it out but she's sleeping with my kid's best friend's Mom".

Usagi on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have to say, if you want it to work, counseling for sure. I had serious trust issues after catching my fiance on dating web sites a while back listed as single. She never cheated on me, but the flirting and messaging of other men cause a massive void in trust. For me, at least, I could not bring myself to recoup my trust in her again and we had to split. She refused counseling though, hopefully yours doesnt.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    It sounds like she wants polyamory, and we know that you don't, and those two things are pretty much mutually exclusive. I don't know that marriage counseling can fix that.

Yes, this. Counseling might help each of you find out what it is that you want out of this relationship, but you need to be prepared to recognize the possibility that that might be different things.

Speaking as someone who has been in the situation ceres described, I just want to be very clear: If it is the case that she wants your relationship to be polyamorous, and you don't, there is no bridging that gap. Do not hold out and hope that things might change, and either of you will come around, because that shit just doesn't work.

exis on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would recommend that you leave and find someone else.

Shes just not into you...maybe shes not into other guys, whatever, that doesnt matter, shes not into you.
    She wants a woman. She wants a woman bad enough to play around in secret.
    You dont trust her.
    You don't trust her enough to snoop.
    Your snooping confirmed your worst fears.
    She is your first. There are others.
    Find one that makes you happy instead of frustrated and depressed.
    Find one that makes you feel desired instead of making you feel like a paycheck and/or emotional tampon.

You won't forgive her...you'll try and forget it happened.
    That won't last.

Things will probably get worse, and it'll only hurt more.

End it and move on.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Daughter or not, staying in a dysfunction situation like this rarely works out with you ending up happy. Sticking it out isn't going to be better for your kid than getting out and finding a better situation for yourself.

And, it's pretty clear that she doesn't actually love you. She loves the idea of a family. For both your sakes, go to counseling. You will likely determine that this relationship is over and you need to get a divorce, but that you'll both be better parents to your daughter by finding happiness.

badpoet on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Usagi wrote: »
    Brutal honesty time: it really sounds like she likes you as a person, is pretty content to have had a daughter with you, but wants nothing with what many people consider to be the heavy part of marriage. And you're enabling her to do this by putting your needs and expectations aside, possibly for your daughter but it more sounds like you're very afraid to rock the boat.

This deserves attention. It's entirely possible to like or even love someone a whole lot, and to be compatible with them in a lot of ways, but to just not be satisfied with them as a life partner. I love my buddy Nikolai, I've known him for like 15 years, we talk all the time and tell each other everything and like the same music and have the same beliefs about issues ranging from copyright law to politics, I even find him attractive, but I would just not be interested in marrying him and settling down with him. We actually talked about it, at one point, but both of us realized that we just weren't a match for each other in that way.

You love your wife. She loves you. And you can continue to love each other for the rest of your lives... but you don't need to be married to do that. It's possible to have an amicable divorce, work out a custody plan that works for both of you, go your separate ways sexually, find your own new relationships that give you what you need, and still remain close, loving friends with each other. It's difficult, but it's possible.

You really have three options here. You can accept that you and your wife aren't good for each other in that way, and work on an amiable split; you can try again to make things work, and somehow succeed; or you can try to make things work, fail, and end up in an ugly, unpleasant, acrimonious divorce down the road.

If you really think you have a genuine chance to turn your relationship with your wife around, then by all means, do whatever you can to salvage it. But it's really sounding like the two of you just aren't on the same page at all, and if that's the case, it's better to end your marriage in a way that lets you still be friends than to try to drag it out until you're both miserable.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WildEEP wrote: »
    I would recommend that you leave and find someone else.

Shes just not into you...maybe shes not into other guys, whatever, that doesnt matter, shes not into you.
    She wants a woman. She wants a woman bad enough to play around in secret.
    You dont trust her.
    You don't trust her enough to snoop.
    Your snooping confirmed your worst fears.
    She is your first. There are others.
    Find one that makes you happy instead of frustrated and depressed.
    Find one that makes you feel desired instead of making you feel like a paycheck and/or emotional tampon.

You won't forgive her...you'll try and forget it happened.
    That won't last.

Things will probably get worse, and it'll only hurt more.

End it and move on.

There is no "moving on" in this case, they have a 2yr old daughter! He should not walk away from his responsibility here.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    spool32 wrote: »

There is no "moving on" in this case, they have a 2yr old daughter! He should not walk away from his responsibility here.

Two people, with at least one being miserable, raising a kid is not better than two separate happy people raising a kid.

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Nothing I said indicated he abandon his daughter.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    badpoet wrote: »

Two people, with at least one being miserable, raising a kid is not better than two separate happy people raising a kid.

This is a dramatic oversimplification of the issue, and possibly not even a true statement. Divorce is bad for children, period. The main question is whether staying together is worse, and the relative happiness of the parents is not necessarily relevant to their parenting.

This is far, far from cut and dried.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    WildEEP wrote: »

Nothing I said indicated he abandon his daughter.

Sorry, by "move on" I assumed you meant altogether. He won't get custody of his daughter if he leaves, and he will continue to interact regularly with his current wife for the next dozen years at minimum. There's no "moving on" in any sense where he's able to get this woman out of his world without also getting the daughter out.

Divorce with children is serious, serious business. You are screwing with somebody's life in ways you cannot predict. That decision should not be made solely because you're unhappy or angry and mistrustful of your partner.

spool32 on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Divorce with children is serious, serious business. You are screwing with somebody's life in ways you cannot predict. That decision should not be made solely because you're unhappy or angry and mistrustful of your partner.

Actually, it seems like he's unhappy AND angry AND mistrustful of his partner. It's not just one thing, so to me, that justifies a divorce. You can't have a loving and healthy relationship with out trust, and where do you think children learn how to develop relationships? They learn it from their parents. If their parents are unhappy, and don't trust eachother, the child is going to learn to stay in an unhappy relationship and/or be suspicious of their partner.

Staying together "for the children" is bullshit.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    badpoet wrote: »

This is a dramatic oversimplification of the issue, and possibly not even a true statement. Divorce is bad for children, period. The main question is whether staying together is worse, and the relative happiness of the parents is not necessarily relevant to their parenting.

This is far, far from cut and dried.

"Divorce is bad for children' is an oversimplification of an astounding level. Divorce is often better for kids, especially in abusive situations. While I'm not sure of the level of psychological abuse going on in this relationship, it sure appears there's at least some.

You don't think the relative happiness of a person is a factor in how good of a parent they are? Staying in a relationship for the sake of the kids can be a good thing for the kids. It can also be very bad. Given his situation, it looks like this would be a bad situation for his kid to grow up in. The fact that Mom doesn't love Dad and Dad (and likely Mom) is miserable will get noticed by the kid.

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Sorry, by "move on" I assumed you meant altogether. He won't get custody of his daughter if he leaves, and he will continue to interact regularly with his current wife for the next dozen years at minimum. There's no "moving on" in any sense where he's able to get this woman out of his world without also getting the daughter out.

How do you know he won't get custody? Certainly joint custody is the most likely outcome here. Just because he is male doesn't mean that he won't have custody of his kid.

You're right that there's no moving on from this woman in that sense. But, certainly, there's moving on from her in the romantic sense and moving on for him to a better situation.

badpoet on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't understand this situation. How did you marry and father a child by this woman and then spend two years together without noticing that she wasn't into men? According to the previous thread you found out when you stumbled upon her having an online relationship with another woman.

From what you've said it really sounds like you need to strongly consider a divorce in order to do the best by yourselves and your child, but I can't help but wonder if we've got a misleading slice of the picture? I don't mean that in an accusatory way, but could you explain how you got here? It might help.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't see what's so confusing. She is into men somewhat having slept with lots and married me. But I recently found out she gets more into lesbian sex and was having an online relationship. Not everyone is either pure
    Straight or gay and I just am trying to find out where she leans and what she wants. She doesn't know what she wants so I'm desperately trying to figure it out before we are 10 years into our marriage and have to get divorced and get into a messy situation and mess up my daughter.

suicidexcuse on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This is not a debate about divorce and children.

ceres on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, tbh I was kind of confused when I read in your OP that
    I recently discovered she doesn't get wet from heterosexual sex.

I'd have expected that after years of heterosexual intercourse with the mother of your child, maybe that ought not to be the sort of thing that you could say you recently discovered.

In any case, last time we rode this trolley, almost every single person suggested that you seek counseling because this is a huge issue, and nobody can be expected to have all the tools he needs to address it. You ultimately rejected that advice because
    As for counseling we talked about it but didn't pursue it because we had come to the conclusion that we will split up Ina year or so. As well I just started my first job in a year so we are both exhausted and just haven't found the energy to start looking. I'll bring up to her again to see what she says.

Be serious: that's just a slew of lame excuses, right? "We just haven't found the energy to start looking?" What the heck does that even mean? Do you need to carb up before opening the Yellow Pages?

You say that
    I'm desperately trying to figure it out

But I have to be honest with you: I don't believe you. If you are desperate, make an appointment with a counselor. If not, make an appointment with a lawyer.

SammyF on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SammyF makes an excellent point. This ends in two ways: counselling or divorce. I'm not some magic relationship expert, but those are the only two avenues I see towards resolution here. Stalling out and hoping things get better on their own will not help.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Terrendos wrote: »
    SammyF makes an excellent point. This ends in two ways: counselling or divorce. I'm not some magic relationship expert, but those are the only two avenues I see towards resolution here. Stalling out and hoping things get better on their own will not help.

Agreed.

spool32 on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You need counseling sir...you are a doormat.

You're letting her trounce all over you and I think it would behoove you to find out why you are letting her do this.

Good luck.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't see what's so confusing. She is into men somewhat having slept with lots and married me. But I recently found out she gets more into lesbian sex and was having an online relationship. Not everyone is either pure
    Straight or gay and I just am trying to find out where she leans and what she wants. She doesn't know what she wants so I'm desperately trying to figure it out before we are 10 years into our marriage and have to get divorced and get into a messy situation and mess up my daughter.

I'm not crucifying your wife because she is bisexual, I'm crucifying your wife because she wants someone besides her husband and has been engaged in behaviors that either lead up to cheating, or she already has. Cheating is not dependent on sexual preference or genetalia...its an equal opportunity douchism.

It is not your job to fix your wife in the "What I want out of life" department, its your job to know what you want and make sure you give your daughter everything she needs to grow into a fully functioning adult. Watching the two of your interact over this matter is not going to be healthy for your daughter in any way.

You really want to fastforward another 10 years and have your daughter walk in on her and whoever else she'd decided she wants this month?

WildEEP on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

No shes probably not confused at all is the thing. She probably know exactly what she wants and is trying to make it work or what ever.

Go to couples counseling and so on. Just realize having sex with men or women does not make some one straight or gay it just means they had sex.

Just be supportive and understanding.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I suppose you are right. We've talked and talked n talked and still not much has changed. Hoping we can work things out on our own isn't very smart. It's either counseling or divorce. Let's just hope I listen this time. Actually i did see an ad for someone who specializes in bisexual couples, so I guess I could look into that.

suicidexcuse on
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Let's just hope I listen this time.

All I have to say is that this sounds like misplacing blame. Your wife had an emotional affair - despite anything short of beating her senseless you may have done in the past, this is not your fault. It is her decision, and you can't make it into something you drove her to.

I speak here from the personal standpoint of a former serial cheater. I cheated on every serious g/f I had until I was 28. In all of these cases the motivation to cheat was mine - but I would frequently turn it around at any opportunity and make it into a "you're pushing me away and so I cheated" argument. And you know what? It was a lie, every damn time.

I cheated because I wanted to, not for any other reason. Your wife did this because she wanted to, not because you don't take her to the flower store, or because you left the cupboards open, or because you two fought.

That being said, people can change. I personally have and I know of others who used to be the same way who have gone to the faithful path.

I don't know if it can be done in midstream, though. I mean, I'm sure it's possible, but it's definitely the most difficult path. My fidelity began when I met my wife, so I didn't have the counseling and built up issues that will undoubtedly be part of your sessions.

Best of luck - but I suggest you look at this relationship and decide if you want to be in it, and why. And be cynical - ask yourself the same questions about your wife. Why does she want to stay? Can she be trusted?

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I suppose you are right. We've talked and talked n talked and still not much has changed. Hoping we can work things out on our own isn't very smart. It's either counseling or divorce. Let's just hope I listen this time. Actually i did see an ad for someone who specializes in bisexual couples, so I guess I could look into that.

Look, it's not your fault that you're in this mess so stop beating up on yourself and realize that, while your wife probably won't change much in terms of what she desires, you will either come out of this with a marriage that works in its own way or a fresh start.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    SkySky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Question for you guys:

Rather then cheating on your girl, why not ask her for permission to sleep with another woman.

Sky on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sky wrote: »
    Question for you guys:

Rather then cheating on your girl, why not ask her for permission to sleep with another woman.

Uhm, two wrongs really don't make a right here. It sounds like the OP wants to try and repair his relationship, not kill it completely.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Someone I know once said that counseling is a way to talk about problems without being awful to each other. If your conversations right now devolve into shouting, it could help. If you're having good, open conversations but the result is still that she just wants things her way, I'm afraid you may need to buy a ticket for the D Train.

As for the comments about "how didn't you notice?" I'd tell you that you might want to think about that, but later. I think you've got a right to trust that the person you're married to is committed to you and would do you the solid of talking to you before stepping out on you. Sure, you may have been living in denial or simply taking the state of your marriage for granted, but don't beat yourself up for trusting your wife. You treated her like a responsible adult and she decided to hide in your blind spot. That's awful, but I suppose that's how these things happen.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I really, sincerely hope you do listen this time. I'm sorry to have called you out on making excuses earlier, but there's been a profound disconnect between the rhetoric that you use to describe how deeply committed you supposedly are to moving past this issue and your willingness to actually do anything about it.

Even re-reading the language you use in your last post, I'm not sure I actually believe you're going to do anything about this. "Let's just hope I listen this time?" No, dude. That's something the rest of us can hope for, but you personally are not a passive audience member here. You're an active participant. If you want to listen to our advice, don't hope that happens, just do it. Likewise, it's not much of a step in the right direction to say of looking up a counselor "I guess I could look into that." That's not a commitment to taking action; that's acknowledging the possibility of perhaps considering an option.

You absolutely must stop thinking about your own life in terms of "things I could do" and start thinking about it in terms of "things I will do."

SammyF on