As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jenspiration! Painting and Drawing traditionally!

JenspirationJenspiration Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Artist's Corner
Heya folks!
Hope life is treating you well and feeding you lots of chocolate.

A lot has happened over here for the past few months. I've been doing commissions for various people and companies, so I thought I'd just share them (I always like hearing feedback!).

First up is a watercolour painting with inklines on a roughly A3 sized sheet of textured paper.

japanese_comm2.jpg
Zeh Japanese lady! A person commissioned it as she needed a gift for a friend.
This is one of the very rare times I used black ink for lines. Now.. I'm starting to really get a taste for it. Gah!

Here's another commission for a burlesque lady who wanted a portrait of her in her favourite dress and wig:
candee_handful_final.jpg
Watercolour and pencil. A3 size again.

And... The largest scaled commission I've been asked to do to date. A larger than A2 painting in watercolour. I'm not gonna lie, I was crapping myself while doing this.
Agena_commission.jpg
huge_painting1.jpg
I think one of the major issues with doing traditional large scale paintings is that.. Well.. If you mess up, you've just used up a lot of material and you're gonna have to redo everything again. So I think I was very cautious when I did that painting. Not sure if that's kinda reflected in it.

Anyway!

Here are two lil pages of two different graphic novel projects that I've got on at the moment. They are both unfinished and unlettered:

Bayou Arcana (Short story for an anthology):
ba_page4.jpg

Skal (My own graphic novel):
prologue_1.jpg

And finally, here's a painting that turned into a print and has ended up in a shop in my city. Happy Jen!

JennieGyllblad_steampunk.jpg

Jenspiration on

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    YAY! I'm a bit partial to the first one, but they all look great. Buccaneer lady = win though she looks a tad off balance

ninjai on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    First and last are may favorite. Nice stuff

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know if this is your scanner, or if you're doing this intentionally...but are you upping the brightness/contrast at all? It seems like a lot of the subtlety in the paint is getting blown out...maybe in an attempt to remove the texture of the paper from the white backgrounds?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ninjai - Yeah, I redrew the legs about 5 times.. Gahhhh.

NightDragon - This is one of the banes of working with watercolour. Even though I turn down the brightness and contrast on my scanner when I do my scanning, it will STILL kill off 30% of my paintstrokes. It just brutalizes everything. :( This is also why people have said that they prefer seeing my art in person. It just doesn't look right on a screen. Wondering if my scanner is just crappy.

Jenspiration on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you can check and edit your scanner settings, I suggest doing so. My scanner has a default setting that runs everything through a filter after it scans, and it jacks up the contrast and makes everything look like a disaster. :P Yours might have something similar - turning it off would help tons. If not, then yeah...you may consider looking into getting a better scanner once that's a possibility for you.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I wish I could get an A3 scanner. That would be incredible! Whenever I do large work I have to scan them in sections and put them together like a jigsaw puzzle in photoshop.

A3 scanners seem to cost an arm and a leg though. Boo.

Jenspiration on
  • Options
    Short-Stuff-SluffShort-Stuff-Sluff Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    We all have to make sacrifices if we want to move on to the next level. after all, if I need to spend 2000gil on fire to defeat lich and continue playing FF, then I think you should buy a A3 scanner to save precious time that you could use to paint more stuff

Short-Stuff-Sluff on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The difference being Final Fantasy is make believe and A3 sized scanners actually exist and cost a lot of money.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    A giant scanner is on my future studio list, next to the Laser Cutter and small 3D printer. One day.

Anyways, your work is always really refreshing with its traditional media. I love how complete the comic pages and the large commission feel. I really wish I had more to critique, but I am complete shit with watercolor.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DeeLock wrote: »
    The difference being Final Fantasy is make believe and A3 sized scanners actually exist and cost a lot of money.

This made me giggle irl :D

And yes, an A3 scanner costs a bomb. I haven't got that kind of money at this moment, but if I ever do, it's on my list of 'what to get for studio'.

Jenspiration on