As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taste buds and alcohol question.

azith28azith28 Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
So I'm curious if this is just a taste thing or If I've got something odd about me.

I can't stand most alcohol. No matter what type, it always comes off to me too sour a flavor and makes my stomach upset. I've tried it mixed heavily with very sweet juices, and Its like when i drink it, my mouth processes the sweetness of the juice, but the sour is still so intense that It makes me shudder. Wine, liquore, whiskey, rum, vodka, champagne, beer, wine cooler, ale...all are just so nasty to me I can barely choke it down. I dont have a problem with really sour candies or such, its just alcohol that produces this reaction.

The only drink that ive had that the sour taste does not cause literally a gag reflex, was Saki, which was drinkable, if not a really enjoyable experience . Is this because its made with rice? Is this a common thing and people are just choking down booze to get drunk?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
azith28 on

• Options
    ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ThreadbareSock on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the answer is to grow a pair and drink up, pledge

Langly on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Some people like drinking, some don't. I don't see how not liking it is a problem unless you work for a distillery as a taster.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MathildaMathilda Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You just don't like the taste of alcohol. This isn't really a problem.

Mathilda on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    just do drugs instead

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    my personal theory is that children grow up drinking super super sweet drinks their entire life, and that is why people dislike beer and other alcohols at first.

but really I like pretty much any liquor/beer that I have ever tried, except for jaeger, and that is because licorice is gross.

Langly on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd be interested to know if you still noticed the sour taste if someone mixed alcohol into a drink for you without your knowledge. To have alcohol taste nasty to you is understandable, some people just don't like it (and others like the taste... or "develop" a taste for it)... but the different types of drink have different tastes... for all of them to taste sour is a little weird

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like liquor, but I don't like beer (I've only had shitty beer).

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't like the taste either. It comes across to me as burny and bitter.

And I'm not a fan of bitter flavors. I'm very sensitive to bitter.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also yes at first many people are just forcing the alcohol down to get drunk and then after a while get used to it and like it.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh man I love that clip

also azith I mean alcohol is kind of an acquired taste, most people don't take their first sip of whiskey and go "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that's good stuff." But if you hate it so much, just... don't drink it? Choking down stuff you hate just to get a buzz going is, shall we say, "not advisable"

Dunno what you're talking about with it tasting sour though, sour is not the word I would use to describe the taste of alcohol

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Order a bay breeze!

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If you don't like the taste of something, not just alcohol, there's no reason why you should have to keep eating/drinking it.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you don't like alcohol? TOO BAD

QbMaW.jpg

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i love fruity drinks

they are the best

quick someone post the photo

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    the solution is to down a bottle of jack in one go

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If it doesn't taste good, don't consume it.

If you're drinking liquor in a mixed drink and it still tastes like shit, that means they're using rot gut shit that they hope will be covered up with the mix. Like in most things, you get what you pay for.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    tequila is probably the only liquor i will willingly drink

everything else i shy away from because i don't like the taste and also it often leads to me taking a train to puke city

population: me

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wine coolers basically taste like Hi-C juice boxes, so if the alcohol in even them is horrible and overpowering then I'd say it is indeed the alcohol itself you're averse to.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like liquor, but I don't like beer (I've only had shitty beer).

unibroue-la-fin-du-monde.png

I don't know what your beer selection is there, but here we have a couple decent ones... Presidente is pretty decent, and Kubuli has a decently refreshing taste

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Peen on
  • Options
    ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The gaging / choking down you describe happens to me, but only with beer. I don't know if I'm allergic or what but for the life of me I can not drink beer.

When I first started drinking I didn't really like the taste. I would drink weak mixed drinks or 'alcopops' like Mike's Hard Lemonade. Now I drink scotch neat because I don't want the ice to water it down.

What I'm saying is get a couple of 40s and a roll of duct tape, have a little Edward 40-hands party and desensitize yourself.

Thrack on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Seriously though, acquiring a taste for something sounds like madness, but you really do need to train your palate to enjoy beers and other foreign flavors, because you are only used to sweetness.

Langly on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i went through a snooty phase of drinking only good beer like flying dog and dogfish head

now it's canned coors light, which doesn't even require a bottle opener and can thus be consumed that much more efficiently

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've got a Rogue hazelnut at home I do believe I will crack open tonight

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    Seriously though, acquiring a taste for something sounds like madness, but you really do need to train your palate to enjoy beers and other foreign flavors, because you are only used to sweetness.

Forcing yourself to like something always seems like a silly concept to me.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i went through a snooty phase of drinking only good beer like flying dog and dogfish head

now it's canned coors light, which doesn't even require a bottle opener and can thus be consumed that much more efficiently

I think its natural to go between better, heavier, full-flavored beers and then shitty canned american pisswater.

I'm currently in a loop where all I drink is Simple Times.

LTM on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Start adding splenda to all your drinks

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    lostwords wrote: »
    Start adding splenda to all your drinks

ew

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've never been drunk.

And my first experience with alcohol was with sake bombs, and it went horribly wrong. We ordered them, and the bartender and my friends explained to me how it worked. A shot of sake balanced on two chopsticks over a glass of beer is placed in front of you, you slam your hands on the table on both sides of it, the chopsticks roll apart and drop the shot into the glass, at which point you chug the whole damn thing.

So I asked the bartender, "Hey, can anything go wrong with this?"

He's all like, "Nope!"

Reassured, we all count down, and at zero we slam the table. Both my chopsticks rolled in the same direction, and the shot spilled onto me. And they're all laughing, because of what I had asked literally seconds ago.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't like beer very much

but I can polish off like six whiskey sours in two hours

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I need to go to the liquor store tonight. I'm out of vermouth.

Thrack on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

It's the same concept as drinking black coffee. At first it tastes horribly bitter, but you just have to drink a few cups to train your palate to enjoy more complex flavors than something packed with sugar. Beers especially can have really complex, great flavors, they just aren't completely sweet. It just doesn't make sense that everyone who drinks beer/alcohol is doing so by forcing their gag reflex down every time. After a little while, your taste buds get used to it, and it really tastes great.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Add Hershey's chocolate syrup to your drinks, just always carry around a bottle with you

lostwords on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

It's the same concept as drinking black coffee. At first it tastes horribly bitter, but you just have to drink a few cups to train your palate to enjoy more complex flavors than something packed with sugar. Beers especially can have really complex, great flavors, they just aren't completely sweet. It just doesn't make sense that everyone who drinks beer/alcohol is doing so by forcing their gag reflex down every time. After a little while, your taste buds get used to it, and it really tastes great.

I hate coffee, crammed with sugar and cream or not. Coffee just has such a terrible flavor to me. Don't even like the smell.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wonderbread and mayonnaise sandwiches are all Geek eats.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ew, no.

I like whole wheat bread.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    crwth wrote: »
    tequila is probably the only liquor i will willingly drink

everything else i shy away from because i don't like the taste and also it often leads to me taking a train to puke city

population: me

This post brought to you from Bizarro Earth.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    geek is like that episode of tiny toon adventures when babs learned some self control

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    my personal theory is that children grow up drinking super super sweet drinks their entire life, and that is why people dislike beer and other alcohols at first.

but really I like pretty much any liquor/beer that I have ever tried, except for jaeger, and that is because licorice is gross.

licorice is awesome

Garlic Bread on