Options

A Problem with Perspective

tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Artist's Corner
Ok - I'm going through chapter 1 of Figure Drawing For all its Worth and I know the importance of perspective in making things look awesome. The question is - how do i do multilevel perspective? I need some sort of measuring line?

I want to have figures on the floor on the right fighting and posing but I want them to relate in size (same height) to the first mannequin that I have on top of the computer.

How?

zulbux.png

tracertong on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Things directly on the horizon line (the green horizontal line you've drawn) are things that the viewer is seeing straight-on. Everything below that line are things the viewer is looking down upon. The reverse is true for everything above the horizon line. The further away from the horizon line, the stronger/sharper the viewing angle will be.

The main problem I'm seeing right now is that the figure at the bottom is being viewed very straight-on, though in reality, would be viewed from a sharp aerial angle. I'm also not entirely sure what either figure is grounded on, and that's making the image confusing.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm doing this scene basically but expanded the wallspace on the left and in the front, got rid of the computer desk, and had a 2nd mannequin climbing a rock wall in front.

I want to put more characters where the desk would be, but on the floor. But I'm not sure how to get them to be the same size

2znr80w.png

tracertong on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    downdown.jpg

This is how Loomis projects figures up and down.

If you're interested in perspective, then I recommend checking out Carl Dobsky's instructional videos. He gets into the nitty gritty of measuring accurately in perspective.

This is a preview
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZyRKKoN0kk

The full videos can be purchased here.
    Dobsky's One Point Perspective

Dobsky's Two Point Perspective

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Those videos certainly look interesting! I'll have to get one or both of them. In the meantime, I'm doing what loomis reccomends to do, which is to do lots of quick sketches to get "relative" perspective (my term) down. These are from yesterday and today, been doing them for about 4 days....I notice a huge improvement on the latest ones. I'll continue to do sketches like this until I feel I'm ready to add anatomy onto it.

and I've got some action figure vehicles that I've been sketching, too for variety.

i6gjew.png

tracertong on