As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Money Tracker? [Solved]

Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was looking into mint.com and it looks like a great way to organize ones personal finances. Long story short, I just can't seem to convince myself that it's a good idea to give all of my financial information to a third party, internet based, software system. So H/A, what does everyone else use for personal finance organization? Suggestions? Am I crazy for not trusting mint.com?

***Side note: I currently use excel with some VBA macros that I wrote to make it more user friendly. However, the wife doesn't appreciate my obviously supreme coding skills; so if anyone has some nice vba codes that I could look through that would be nice as well. Mostly dealing with how to translate the transaction descriptions into actual things.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
Jebus314 on

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mint.com is a reputable site, and you have nothing to worry about. It was bought by Intuit (makers of Quicken) for $170 million in 2009.

If you're afraid of the internet at this point............ yes, you're overly paranoid.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I was a bit concerned at first too, but I literally just logged into my Mint account. It contains everything. I've had no problems.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have used Mint.com for years and have yet to encounter any issues with it.

Inquisitor77 on
  • TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Joining the chorus about Mint's safety.

I'd highly recommend it. I had no idea how much I was spending at fast food places 'till I started using it.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If at this point mint stealz all my monies, the service will still have been worth it for the amount of help it's been getting my shit straight.

You'll be glad you went with mint, bro.

Deebaser on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah - if Mint gets hacked, pretty much every other site on the internet is going to be fucked too. May as well make your life easier :P

a5ehren on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, mint.com has helped me immensely. Wonderful to see that using your debit card has racked you up $50 worth of "ATM charges." Thanks mint, I probably wouldn't have noticed that because my bank statement only includes those ATM debit charges on their online form.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Joining the chorus to say just go ahead and jump on Mint because you will be very glad you did. Just do it.

Shogun on
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well it looks like the wisdom of H/A has been passed. Signing up for Mint as we speak, so we can lock this up. Also, it's apparently time to stop reading the [Shields Up] thread in the technology tavern.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    edited May 2011
    Your information is probably safer on mint.com than in your wallet and you using an ATM.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mint.com is a reputable site, and you have nothing to worry about. It was bought by Intuit (makers of Quicken) for $170 million in 2009.

If you're afraid of the internet at this point............ yes, you're overly paranoid.

considering what's been happening to Sony as of late, i would say, no, he's not being overly paranoid at all.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • nethneth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so before i join in signing up and give them all my financial secrets, how does Mint.com make money? are they selling my purchase history to advertisers? is there premium stuff i'll want and ndon't have access to?

neth on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    neth wrote: »
    so before i join in signing up and give them all my financial secrets, how does Mint.com make money? are they selling my purchase history to advertisers? is there premium stuff i'll want and ndon't have access to?

"Mint only makes money when our users save money. If you decide to switch from one checking, saving or credit card account to another, the latter pays Mint a nominal fee.

When using Mint, you see only offers that are calculated to save you money. Mint maintains and provides a combination of sponsored and non-sponsored offers in our system. Our algorithms show the best rate or lowest price first, regardless of whether Mint is paid by that provider or not. Sometimes results we get paid for come out on top, sometimes they do not."

http://satisfaction.mint.com/mint/topics/how_does_mint_remain_free

OnTheLastCastle on
  • nethneth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    neth wrote: »

"Mint only makes money when our users save money. If you decide to switch from one checking, saving or credit card account to another, the latter pays Mint a nominal fee.

When using Mint, you see only offers that are calculated to save you money. Mint maintains and provides a combination of sponsored and non-sponsored offers in our system. Our algorithms show the best rate or lowest price first, regardless of whether Mint is paid by that provider or not. Sometimes results we get paid for come out on top, sometimes they do not."

http://satisfaction.mint.com/mint/topics/how_does_mint_remain_free

I actually did see that, however it was 3 years old and things can change in that time period.
    edit: digging through the privacy stuff
    Intuit may make anonymous or aggregate personal information and disclose such data only in a non-personally identifiable manner to:

Advertisers and other third parties for their marketing and promotional purposes, such as the number of users who applied for a credit card or how many users clicked on a particular Intuit Offer;
    Organizations approved by Intuit that conduct research into consumer spending; and

so yes, they are selling your demographic information along with your spending habits. bleh

neth on
    edited May 2011
    If you use a debit card or credit card, that's probably already been done.

bowen on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    If you use a debit card or credit card, that[strike]'s probably[/strike] has already been done.

Fixed.

The only way you're going to avoid the long arm of corporate marketing is if you literally open no accounts of any kind anywhere, meaning your entire life (including paycheck) is done via cash transactions. Even getting a "harmless" grocery store discount card is just a means for them to track your spending habits.

Inquisitor77 on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I wouldn't be too worried that some company knows you pay rent and your car and your electric bill every month.

I mean unless you pay for crack with your credit card or something.

bowen on