As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

McGibs and the lifted NDA (book published!)

2»

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    She's a keeper! :)

NibCrom on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some character doodles for Alientrap's next game.

characters.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    pretty snazz

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gibs you are some kind of nerd alchemist

Tam on
  • Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You have a truly amazing style. I really love it. This
    some-characters.jpg
    the sculptures, and the wolfman painting are so far my favorite images in the thread b, you have a great sense for character design just look at this
    characters.jpg
    truly amazing work. Just love everything in the thread.

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Here I go, testing out the bone/puppet animation system I'll be using for this next game. Woo walkcycles! Learning is fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMdYMFdvDkE&feature=channel_video_title

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    He seems really "bouncy" in all his joints, and his center of gravity is off. I think you've got him leaning too far back.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, it almost seems like he's being pulled up a little by some bungee cords or something, or maybe a Gerry Anderson puppet. He's got kind of a Thunderbirds walk going on. He doesn't move down far enough, and he might move up a bit too much. It's like he's being moved forward by strings or bungee cords and he's only really moving his legs to create the illusion of walking, they don't seem to exert enough force for him to walk.

Also what ND said. He's leaning pretty far back.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So, there are a TON of things I could pick apart about your walk cycle. And I don't mean to say you've done poorly. Your walk cycle has a lot of really good things going for it, but there are some very common mistakes here. Unfortunately walk cycles, as seemingly simple as they are, are one of the most difficult and intricate things to animate, and because of that...like I said before, there are a lot of things I could pick apart.

So instead of writing an entire paper about it, I'll point you in the direction of this amazing walk-cycle tutorial. I also suggest checking out the books he has cited at the bottom of the page.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Dredging up this thread from the underworld.
    Thanks a billion for that tutorial Feebs, it helped a whole lot. Havn't recorded any new animations yet, but I'll post some eventually.

Here's a whack of character concepts and such for the next game.

black-figure-studies.jpg

environ-mock.jpg

figure-tests.jpg

And also my girlfriend fro the doodlethread.

air-armoured.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Is that the style the game is going to be done in? If so, that should look amazing.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Those greeks have got some serious booty.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, we decided to go whole hash greek-pottery with this one. It's a cool style, and I've never seen it used for a game.

And if there's two thing the ancient greeks loved, it's thunder thighs and micro-peeners.
    ancient-greek-olympic.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    Love the concept so far. Looking really good chief.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2011
    Didnt you have a test animation? Are you making them into puppets and doing the flash bone thing for animation? Really curious about how you generally do things. These look awesome so far, it'll be a really unique looking game!

Iruka on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Ooh now I'm intrigued, can't wait to give it a shot.

Also that portrait is really damn cool, I love how you've used the shadows.

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    that is one of the best visual concept ive ever seen in a side scroller, you are the MAN.

• Options
    Hey guys! You can't see my game just yet, but it's coming along really well. The style is working out great!

About a year ago I did some artwork for Osprey publishing for a tabletop wargaming rulebook. Now it's out! http://www.amazon.ca/Tomorrows-Science-Fiction-Wargaming-Rules/dp/1849085315/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320417999&sr=8-1 and I can show off the art I did!
    This is the first publication I've done that had more than a few small black and white spot illustrations, so I'm pretty proud. I haven't received my free copies in the mail yet to try out the rules for myself, but the reviews I've read so far look pretty good.

final-lineinfantry.jpg

final-medic.jpg

final-officer.jpg

final-specops.jpg

final-jumptrooper.jpg

final-hardsuit.jpg

final-battle.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Nicely done, Gibs. The art looks great!

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Oh man I love that heavy armor!

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Love the jetpack skydiving one. I want to do that.

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    That is really swank looking gibs! Good job.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Awesome, Gibs! This is THE job for you!
    And hey, tell them to make you a proper page! http://www.ospreypublishing.com/authors/profile.aspx?ID=4480

Are they planning on making miniatures to go with the game?

DMAC: I'd direct you to wingsuit basejumping as the next best thing, but I actually want you to keep living and arting so no.

Mayday on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    Awesome stuff. Gotta agree with DMAC, that jetpack one is pretty cool (though I think I'll pass on actually wanting to do it, I'm a chicken). I rather like the one with the female officer as well.

• Options
    Benjamin.Benjamin. Registered User regular
    Congrats on being published! They certainly chose the right person to commission, you can make very believable looking military designs. These are most fantastic, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favourite!

15661_s.gif
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gibs, you are getting better with every project, its crazy. Really like this one http://mcgibs.com/junk/final-officer.jpg you've always been great with the believable militaristic women, its always refreshing.

One thing I notice is that you don't get deep into texture work, which doesn't much detract from your stuff, but it would be nice to look at something and be able to determine that its not just some smooth semi rigid fabric, which it all kinda looks like right now.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Wow!

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    I say goddamn

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    swank

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    That shit is total Hilary. I missed this thread for a while, way to nail the greek look for the new game man. That and all other stuff in this thread is off the chain and out the yard. Love how you aren't afraid of colors for the war illustrations, so easy to do the sepial tone path. Really spot on stuff Gibbs.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    McGibs, I'm loving your work.
    Pretty much just scoured every inch of your blog and site to see your stuff.

I really liked your lizard 'how-to' video, it makes me want to try again at digital art/paint. What kind of tablet are you using for your work? I assume some kind of Wacom...

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    So much great shit, and that game you're working on is a fresh and awesome looking direction! Fantastic work all around.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    awesome stuff. i thought maybe you would like to know:

i live in south africa and there is a gaming magazine here called NAG and they had a collum about Capsized moving to XBLA, its pretty impresive they mentioned this game specifically, since they dont usually comment on upcoming xbla tittles. anyways, maybe you already knew this, but nice work anyways!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Wow, with all the battle-tech I've been playing lately, these were the perfect way to get pumped! I hope the book does well, too!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    Excellent stuff McGibs!

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys! I got a few more published works coming out soonish for other gaming books.

@mayday: I don't think they have their own miniature line, and this system is designed to be used with any minis, at various scales. It's more of a framework to develop your own armies and battles with.

@Iruka: I've really got to get off my ass and start studying again. I've been recently beefing up on my anatomy studies, but I gotta hit the painting books again to get more variety in my textures. I usually just slap on an overlay and call it a day.

@Bonecracker: I've been trying to figure out what 'Hilary" means for the last 10 minutes... Nothing rhymes with Clinton. Fucking Cockney slang.

@Custom: I use a Wacom Cintiq 12w. It's basically a monitor that I can draw on.

@Severedhead: Thanks for the NAG headsup! Our publisher should be pushing advertising as the christmas xbla/psn release comes closer, so hopefully Capsized will start popping up all over the place.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hillary? Im guessing he means youre totally money (large bills)

763170192_db0886be1e.jpg

of course that implies he has seen pluto nash, and i shouldnt say that about anyone

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    I just got back from my trip and saw this....so awesome. Love the guy with the jetpack thing.

• Options
    KillerBeeGeesKillerBeeGees Registered User regular
    Hilary with one "l" screams "Swank" to me.

Enjoyed Capsized a great deal - tight/fun controls, lovely music selection, and it was so gosh darn pretty. Excited to see what you guys come up with next, the bold super-stylized look you've got going so far is looking rad.

My favorites of the new stuff are medic and spy, though the medic's right hand seems like it's at a weird angle for any sort of delicate work. I'd be ecstatic to purchase a game and find art that nice inside, keep it up dude.

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Hilary with one "l" screams "Swank" to me.

ding ding ding.
    we have a winner.

and dude, it is "broke" not "bone" I have no idea why people always do that to my name. :)

brokecracker on