As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Distant Worlds: Final Fantasy concert - any good?

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Anyone been to one of these things? Tickets are fairly steep, but it would be nice to see Nobuo in person, or even pay the extra to meet him and get an autograph on a game or something.

I guess I'm wondering if the ticket price reflects the quality, and also if nerds ruin it by too much geeking out in the atmosphere of the whole show

Deusfaux on

• Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I went to the one in Seattle (a year and a half ago... I think), and I really enjoyed it. There wasn't a whole lot of "geeking out" the I noticed, and the orchestra was quite good. If I had a chance to go again, I would.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Worth it, especially if you are a fan of Uematsu. I went to one in Los Angeles maybe 5-6 years ago, and it was amazing.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    ThrillaGorillaThrillaGorilla Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Definitely worth it if you're fan of his music. I went to one in Detroit several years ago and it was very cool. I was dressed up, but people were really all over the spectrum so you can expect a more laid back event.

ThrillaGorilla on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I went to the one in NYC about two months ago, was worth the price I think.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you enjoy wearing nice clothes, it's a great event to dress up. I thought I was gonna look odd if I wore my nice clothes, so I just wore jeans and a woot tee-shirt. I felt out of place when I got there.

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I went in Minneapolis three years ago. Classy event, very satisfying. I recommend it.

admanb on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just got back from it, decided absolute last second to go.

All my games and stuff are not in this city, so I was running around the place trying to figure out what I'd get signed.

VII is here! no wait that's on PSN - what am I gonna get him to sign my cc statement showing when I bought it?

Mystic Quest is here! - just... no. (had nothing to do with it either)

and so on and so forth. (XIII here, CC titles, XIV installed on computer...)

I wanted one of my original SNES carts, or the PSX games.

Then I got the great idea to go pickup IV on the PSP. It was my first FF, first Nobuo, it is my fave FF, I meant to buy it soon anyways, AND it had a great place to sign - on the all-white inside of the case's slip. So it gets protected by the case, but fully on display below the UMD. Hooray!

He was a funny guy, very nice, and despite the language barrier I told him with gestures that his music had touched me, and I kept it with me.

Worth it, just because they don't do many of these shows, and even fewer with him in tow, and fewer yet where you can meet him. I'm not one to go ga-ga for celebrities or famous people at all, but it felt nice just to have a brief moment with a guy whose art I grew up with.

Deusfaux on