As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are your thoughts on parents keeping their child's gender a secret?

ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So in addition to that Swedish couple that did this some time ago, a Toronto couple are doing the very same thing:

Parents keep child’s gender under wraps
When many couples have a baby, they send out an email to family and friends that fills them in on the key details: name, gender, birth weight, that sort of thing. (You know the drill: "Both Mom and little Ethan are doing great!")

But the email sent recently by Kathy Witterick and David Stocker of Toronto, Canada to announce the birth of their baby, Storm, was missing one important piece of information. "We've decided not to share Storm's sex for now--a tribute to freedom and choice in place of limitation, a stand up to what the world could become in Storm's lifetime (a more progressive place? ...)," it said.

That's right. They're not saying whether Storm is a boy or a girl.

There's nothing ambiguous about the baby's genitals. But as Stocker puts it: "If you really want to get to know someone, you don't ask what's between their legs." So only the parents, their two other children (both boys), a close friend, and the two midwives who helped deliver the now 4-month-old baby know its gender. Even the grandparents have been left in the dark.

Stocker and Witterick say the decision gives Storm the freedom to choose who he or she wants to be. "What we noticed is that parents make so many choices for their children. It's obnoxious," adds Stocker, a teacher at an alternative school.

They say that kids receive messages from society that encourage them to fit into existing boxes, including with regard to gender. "We thought that if we delayed sharing that information, in this case hopefully, we might knock off a couple million of those messages by the time that Storm decides Storm would like to share," says Witterick.

"In fact, in not telling the gender of my precious baby, I am saying to the world, 'Please can you just let Storm discover for him/herself what s (he) wants to be?!." she wrote in an email.

How did Stocker and Witterick decide to keep Storm's gender under wraps? During Witterick's pregnancy, her son Jazz was having "intense" experiences with his own gender. "I was feeling like I needed some good parenting skills to support him through that," Witterick said.

Stocker came across a book from 1978, titled X: A Fabulous Child's Story by Lois Gould. X is raised as neither a boy or girl, and grows up to be a happy and well-adjusted child.

I personally applaud them for what they're trying to achieve and would do the same thing if I ever got a child - every little thing counts if one wishes to challenge the current gender views.

Your thoughts?

Shanadeus on

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Really, if you're not ready to make choices for your child, you're not ready to be a parent.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So then the kid gets to be what, 6, and realizes he/she has either a willy or a hoohaa and adopts gender roles from all the other kids in school.

If you don't want your kid growing up into the boxes of gender expectations teach them that they get to make those decisions themselves, not that they're a sexless unperson.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just want to point out that we talked about this (at least, we talked about the Swedish kid) last year.

I think this pretty much sealed it, IMO:
    Ego wrote: »
    Obviously the parents believe that gender is a meaningless social construct and that self determination of gender is better. If they're wrong, the kid will gravitate towards 'traditional' maleness/femaleness and that's gonna be the end of that.

If they're right, the kid will get to pick what he or she wants to be.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dumb as hell, and an excuse to go LOOK AT ME I'M SOCIALLY PROGRESSIVE!!!

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can confidently assert that they will have successfully helped push their child beyond the boundaries of gender stereotypes in at least one respect. Unless you're Gwyneth Paltrow, naming your offspring something like "Storm" is going to guarantee that regardless of whether he's a boy or she's a girl, that kid is going to learn how to take and throw a punch growing up.

SammyF on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This won't end gender discrimination. It will confuse the fuck out of the poor kid once puberty starts.

And seriously a parent making choices for their child is parenting.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This won't end gender discrimination. It will confuse the fuck out of the poor kid once puberty starts.

And seriously a parent making choices for their child is parenting.

Why make choices, when you can use them to send a political message instead.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SammyF wrote: »
    I can confidently assert that they will have successfully helped push their child beyond the boundaries of gender stereotypes in at least one respect. Unless you're Gwyneth Paltrow, naming your offspring something like "Storm" is going to guarantee that regardless of whether he's a boy or she's a girl, that kid is going to learn how to take and throw a punch growing up.

Not in a future where kids are named all sort of, to us, crazy stuff.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It was also stated in the other thread that once this kid starts interacting with people other than their batshit insane parents, especially other kids, the gender will come out and the kid will be treated thusly.

Experiments like this only work in an extremely controlled environment. If the parents restrict the kid's social involvement to people who agree to play along with their little game, I'd have to say that's pretty sick.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

This was a silly sentiment last year and it's still silly.

If I believe that {x} is bad for my child, I will probably want to shield them from {x}. I will probably also make political statements about {x}. These are not mutually incompatible behaviors. In this case, x = early-life gender roles.

The implication that it's wrong to raise your child in any politically controversial way means that only hypocrites can be parents.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So then the kid gets to be what, 6, and realizes he/she has either a willy or a hoohaa and adopts gender roles from all the other kids in school.

If you don't want your kid growing up into the boxes of gender expectations teach them that they get to make those decisions themselves, not that they're a sexless unperson.

The kids are 'unschooled'; it is a particular method of homeschooling. The kids are not presented with a structured curriculum to follow but instead are taught according to the child's particular interests and curiosities. The child is expected to acquire knowledge by experience and whatnot. Personally I think this will mess up the kids more than the gender-neutral parenting. Because maybe the kid just wants to watch cartoons all day.

Also, Storm is totally a girl name! How can anyone think otherwise?

But I look at this and think it looks like a little boy

storm_rightsize.jpg

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »

Not in a future where kids are named all sort of, to us, crazy stuff.

I'm still pissed that Yael is more commonly a boy's name in the US.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

The kids are 'unschooled'; it is a particular method of homeschooling. The kids are not presented with a structured curriculum to follow but instead are taught according to the child's particular interests and curiosities. The child is expected to acquire knowledge by experience and whatnot. Personally I think this will mess up the kids more than the gender-neutral parenting. Because maybe the kid just wants to watch cartoons all day.

storm_rightsize.jpg

Looks like a doll imo. The eyes are beads of glass that roll around depending on how you hold it.

But man they better hope their kid wants to learn math and spelling. And if that kid wants to learn anatomy they are totally fucked.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Feral wrote: »

If I believe that {x} is bad for my child, I will probably want to shield them from {x}. I will probably also make political statements about {x}. These are not mutually incompatible behaviors. In this case, x = early-life gender roles.

The implication that it's wrong to raise your child in any politically controversial way means that only hypocrites can be parents.

what about x=vaccines?

also read the whole artical.
    The couple's other two children, Jazz and Kio, haven't escaped their parents' unconventional approach to parenting. Though they're only 5 and 2, they're allowed to pick out their own clothes in the boys and girls sections of stores and decide whether to cut their hair or let it grow.

Both boys are "unschooled," a version of homeschooling, which promotes putting a child's curiosity at the center of his or her education. As Witterick puts it, it's "not something that happens by rote from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays in a building with a group of same-age people, planned, implemented and assessed by someone else."

Because Jazz and Kio wear pink and have long hair, they're frequently assumed to be girls, according to Stocker. He said he and Witterick don't correct people--they leave it to the kids to do it if they want to.

But Stocker and Witterick's choices haven't always made life easy for their kids. Though Jazz likes dressing as a girl, he doesn't seem to want to be mistaken for one. He recently asked his mother to let the leaders of a nature center know that he's a boy. And he chose not to attend a conventional school because of the questions about his gender. Asked whether that upsets him, Jazz nodded.

As for his mother, she's not giving up the crusade against the tyranny of assigned gender roles. "Everyone keeps asking us, 'When will this end?'" she said. "And we always turn the question back. Yeah, when will this end? When will we live in a world where people can make choices to be whoever they are?"

Ohh good the kid is unable to attend school, but thats okay he's fighting against the tyranny of assigned gender. And how can an education compete with that.

Also naming your kid(by the picture a boy) after a female comic book character probably not the most ungendered thing you can do.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kids have no gender until someone reads one to them. There's nothing to keep a secret. DONE

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    When will we live in a world where people can make choices to be whoever they are?"

IDK when did Canada stop being a western country.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Okay, I'm just going to get this out of our system right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0W7Jbc_Vhw

There. It's been posted.

Let's move on.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2011

storm_rightsize.jpg

Have they made any choices on vaccination?

Bagginses on
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Any child in a family willing to listen to them, nurture them, and provide them with educational opportunities is probably going to turn out all right.

That said, their efforts will probably help the house not fill up with pink frilly bullshit.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Way to turn your kid into a political statement, guys. You sure are more open minded and progressive than I am. Where can I mail your gender neutral kudos?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    How about this then:

Parents want to protect their kid from early-life gender roles they feel to be potential harmful for whatever reason. What about protecting their kid from social experiment they never volunteered for?

Children need structure and guidance from their parents when they're young. They need their parents to make choices for them because they're still figuring out the world; choosing to not make a choice is dangerous and completely irresponsible. If the kid is a boy, identify it as a boy, but by all means teach it to be a progressive thinker and help them understand that if he chooses to identify as a girl later on down the road, that they'll love and support him.

This is essentially like watching how a lab rat will develop in a controlled environment with as little outside influence as possible. It's not responsible parenting.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    I like the idea, and my fiancée and I have discussed not telling anyone the gender of any child we might have at least through the pregnancy, but probably wouldn't take it much further than that (and for her it's more of the surprise factor than any gender-politics statement). I'm much more on board with easing gender pressures as a reason to keep it secret . . . at the very least it would be nice to ward off the inevitable avalanche of pink or blue clothes and toys as soon as people find out.

Though I can't help but wonder if the practices of this family would be a little better received if the rest of their life weren't so full of hippy bullshit. I mean, they sound like great people and all, but . . .
    Upstairs they co-sleep curled up on two mattresses pushed together on the floor of the master bedroom, under a heap of mismatched pillows and blankets.
    Ughhh

Where is that quote from, cause if they are doing that with the baby the kid should be taken away right fucking now.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Is it wrong that I hope one of these new trendy gender neutral kids grows up to be a serial killer?

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

what about x=vaccines?

I don't give a shit if vaccinating (or not vaccinating) your child is "political;" I support vaccination out of a risk-benefits assessment. If we want to do that here, great, I'm all for it. We just have to put aside hand-wringing about this being a "political message" because the political nature of this decision isn't immediately relevant.

In fact, I'll start:
    There's plenty of evidence that gender role conflict, or failure to uphold deeply-ingrained gender roles, are sources of stress and depression. Children coming from more egalitarian households tend to report lower rates of depression than children coming from more traditionally gendered households.

I can't really say that there's strong evidence that gender roles are categorically harmful regardless of their strength or nature, but there is evidence that very strong or strict or otherwise unachievable gender roles certainly are. So does that mean that very strong gender roles inflict a particularly potent type of harm, whereas weaker gender roles inflict the same harm but milder in degree, thereby implying that the imposition of any gender roles is more harmful than the imposition of none? I'll be honest, I'll admit that I don't think there's quite enough evidence to make that claim. Not everything that's harmful in large amounts is necessarily proportionally harmful in small amounts. However, it's not totally beyond the realm of reason. We know that this thing, this system of gender, causes a lot of stress and angst and unhappiness in various different areas of life... so it shouldn't be that shocking that somebody wants to shield their children from it.

Now, do you have evidence that androgyny is harmful to children?

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I think this goes a few steps beyond your basic androgyny.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i think gender roles fuck us all up pretty bad but i don't think this is the way to deal with it, really, not yet

i think it's pretty tough to deal with the fact that gender roles can hurt your kid early on and make them feel bad or force them not to do things or be what they want to be, and the whole gender issue is just way over a kid's head so you can't really sit down and explain it properly in a helpful fashion (i don't think).

but a kid who is gender-ambiguous - about stupid things like clothes and hair, which are completely arbitrary indicators of gender - will get bullied really severely and may encounter all sorts of formative difficulties, retreat from having friends or developing social skills, etc. the kid doesn't want to go to school because he's already encountered this kind of thing. even though it's stupid, it's deeply ingrained.

like it or not, our identities are still largely constructed from our ideas of gender, and i don't think there's any easy way out of it. you can chop out a lot of the shit parents do that casually forces their children into gender boxes - some parents will yell at their tiny children for picking the wrong-gendered clothing, or refuse to let them play with the toys they like if they're "gender-inappropriate" - but trying to take them out of the gender box completely just ends up creating a whole separate series of gender-based issues for the kid to deal with.

that or gender identity from non-parental sources will overwhelm any parental latitude, which is entirely possible, i think.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Children need structure and guidance from their parents when they're young. They need their parents to make choices for them because they're still figuring out the world; choosing to not make a choice is dangerous and completely irresponsible. If the kid is a boy, identify it as a boy, but by all means teach it to be a progressive thinker and help them understand that if he chooses to identify as a girl later on down the road, that they'll love and support him.

This is essentially like watching how a lab rat will develop in a controlled environment with as little outside influence as possible. It's not responsible parenting.

I'll second this. You don't combat gender bullshit by hiding from it any more than you combat racism by just staying away from people who don't like brown folk - you combat it by recongnizing it, and then speaking up and saying it's unnacceptable. There's tons of shit out there that's potentially bad for your kids. Your job as a parent isn't to shelter them from it all, because that's fucking impossible. Your job is to prepare them for it and help them learn to deal with it.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah I'm inclined to think that as bad as forcing a child into a rigid identity is, providing them with none is probably just as bad.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The kids are still quite young so the co-sleeping doesn't strike me as too bad but it may make it harder for them to feel confident sleeping on their own, which could be a problem later on. So I hope the older kids get their own beds soon.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    that or gender identity from non-parental sources will overwhelm any parental latitude, which is entirely possible, i think.

I suspect that this is going to be the ultimate result.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    also read the whole artical.
    The couple's other two children, Jazz and Kio, haven't escaped their parents' unconventional approach to parenting. Though they're only 5 and 2, they're allowed to pick out their own clothes in the boys and girls sections of stores and decide whether to cut their hair or let it grow.

Both boys are "unschooled," a version of homeschooling, which promotes putting a child's curiosity at the center of his or her education. As Witterick puts it, it's "not something that happens by rote from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays in a building with a group of same-age people, planned, implemented and assessed by someone else."

Because Jazz and Kio wear pink and have long hair, they're frequently assumed to be girls, according to Stocker. He said he and Witterick don't correct people--they leave it to the kids to do it if they want to.

But Stocker and Witterick's choices haven't always made life easy for their kids. Though Jazz likes dressing as a girl, he doesn't seem to want to be mistaken for one. He recently asked his mother to let the leaders of a nature center know that he's a boy. And he chose not to attend a conventional school because of the questions about his gender. Asked whether that upsets him, Jazz nodded.

As for his mother, she's not giving up the crusade against the tyranny of assigned gender roles. "Everyone keeps asking us, 'When will this end?'" she said. "And we always turn the question back. Yeah, when will this end? When will we live in a world where people can make choices to be whoever they are?"

Ohh good the kid is unable to attend school, but thats okay he's fighting against the tyranny of assigned gender. And how can an education compete with that.

Also naming your kid(by the picture a boy) after a female comic book character probably not the most ungendered thing you can do.

The kid said that he liked dressing as a girl, it's not as if the parents are forcing him to dress as a girl as some form of political statement.

The former needs to be supported.
    How about this then:

Parents want to protect their kid from early-life gender roles they feel to be potential harmful for whatever reason. What about protecting their kid from social experiment they never volunteered for?

That's the thing though, they don't want to make the choice of being a boy or a girl for him as they're against the whole notion of neatly categorizing people into those two boxes.
    As a post-genderist I agree with them.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it wrong that I hope one of these new trendy gender neutral kids grows up to be a serial killer?

Yes! In fact, it indicates latent transphobia on your part.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    "Mommy, what's this thing between my legs?"
    "That's for you to decide, dear."

LATER....
    "Teacher! There's a DINOSAUR between my legs! My mommy and daddy said it could be anything I wanted!"
    "DID they now."

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I think this as well. Probably around the teen years? Maybe because they want to impress a cute classmate or something :P

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm curious how they handle everyday things like shopping for food or clothes.

Kids aren't stupid. If you go shopping for overalls and hold up a few different options the kid will probably pick up on which one you want it to wear just by your body language.

I don't see any of their kids turning into serial killers. They're more likely to go turn feral.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

So better to act like a responsible parent provide them some frame work for identity so they're not completely bewildered like the eldest seems to be.

TBH, I'm more annoyed by their stupid fucking education system. Only teaching them what they want to learn seems like a good way to get a kid who only knows the names of every pokemon.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    "Mommy, what's this thing between my legs?"
    "That's for you to decide, dear."

LATER....
    "Teacher! There's a DINOSAUR between my legs! My mommy and daddy said it could be anything I wanted!"
    "DID they now."

To be fair though, it didn't say they were keeping the child's sex a secret from them ;-)

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I think this as well. Probably around the teen years? Maybe because they want to impress a cute classmate or something :P

Or else the very first time he encounters another child, because after the age of three or four, children start classifying everybody in terms of gender, and most kids will want to know immediately "are you a girl or a boy?" and will keep talking about it until a conclusion is reached.

Feral on