As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Doctor Who] Thread

• Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    The doctor has to remain the hero for the series to keep its interest and direction.

I disagree entirely. River+companions could easily become the hero for a while. I don't think anyone is suggesting the Doctor will straight up make a rational decision to be evil, but through events not entirely under his control, the dark aspects of him, which are decidedly quite dark, could come crashing to the forefront and remain there until thwarted. Especially given that the regenerations bring out somewhat different personality aspects, there's no reason to think that the dark side couldn't be brought up as well. They've absolutely foreshadowed it enough that it wouldn't be a stretch in the slightest.

As Dresden up there said, he could also be a "I have unlimited power and will now use it unlimitedly to fix the universe how I see that it needs to be fixed!" kind of thing going on. Which is also fairly dark.

Now I want a season where the Doctor goes completely off the rails, and the companions and River get whisked around by the TARDIS (which of course has cooked up a plan to take everyone to where they need to be to save the Doctor, but doesn't fill them in on what they need to do...)

I haven't started on the Matt Smith Doctor yet, but having just finished Tennant's run, we did already sort of see a Doctor that wants to fix everything.
    At the end of Waters of Mars, the Doctor kind of goes a bit nuts when he says he is the Time Lord victorious and that he can more or less do what he wants. It doesn't last too long after he saves everyone and the woman shoots herself, but I could see it going somewhere. If the Doctor didn't immediately realize that he couldn't just go around trying to fix everything, we could even have a new episode where Matt Smith faces off against a sort of crazy Tennant. It would go against the rule that the Doctor can't travel along his timeline or whatever it is, but since he doesn't really care about rules it could work.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Shaggy wrote:
    I haven't started on the Matt Smith Doctor yet, but having just finished Tennant's run, we did already sort of see a Doctor that wants to fix everything.
    At the end of Waters of Mars, the Doctor kind of goes a bit nuts when he says he is the Time Lord victorious and that he can more or less do what he wants. It doesn't last too long after he saves everyone and the woman shoots herself, but I could see it going somewhere. If the Doctor didn't immediately realize that he couldn't just go around trying to fix everything, we could even have a new episode where Matt Smith faces off against a sort of crazy Tennant. It would go against the rule that the Doctor can't travel along his timeline or whatever it is, but since he doesn't really care about rules it could work.

That's what Moffatt's been building on season 6 IMO. We'll probably see Tennant & McGann in the 50th anniversary special.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    The doctor has to remain the hero for the series to keep its interest and direction.

I disagree entirely. River+companions could easily become the hero for a while. I don't think anyone is suggesting the Doctor will straight up make a rational decision to be evil, but through events not entirely under his control, the dark aspects of him, which are decidedly quite dark, could come crashing to the forefront and remain there until thwarted. Especially given that the regenerations bring out somewhat different personality aspects, there's no reason to think that the dark side couldn't be brought up as well. They've absolutely foreshadowed it enough that it wouldn't be a stretch in the slightest.

As Dresden up there said, he could also be a "I have unlimited power and will now use it unlimitedly to fix the universe how I see that it needs to be fixed!" kind of thing going on. Which is also fairly dark.

Now I want a season where the Doctor goes completely off the rails, and the companions and River get whisked around by the TARDIS (which of course has cooked up a plan to take everyone to where they need to be to save the Doctor, but doesn't fill them in on what they need to do...)

I know! That's totally what I'm hoping for. Would be an awesome season.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    It is something of accepted pseudo canon that the doctor's new personality is often based on the things that meant a lot to him near the end of his life.

It is thus no surprise that Matt's Doctor is more willing to bend on his Pacifism then Tenant. Or that he's willing to be the larger then life hero that Tenant avoids feels shame about. Or that he looks for a family instead of a fling of a companion.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:

That could make for an excellent arc. It would give the writers a chance to not only show how much power the Doctor actually has at his command, but also what it's like to face the Doctor. As a bonus, for once you wouldn't be sure if the Doctor was going to win, or if you actually wanted him too.
    We've had hints of that in the past as well, like the massive fleet of everyone the Doctor beat in the past showing up to cram him into the Pandorica.
    I mean, the Daleks want to kill everything in the universe that's not them, right? Consider how terrifying an enemy you would need to be facing to count them as an acceptable ally to have at your side.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:

That could make for an excellent arc. It would give the writers a chance to not only show how much power the Doctor actually has at his command, but also what it's like to face the Doctor. As a bonus, for once you wouldn't be sure if the Doctor was going to win, or if you actually wanted him too.
    We've had hints of that in the past as well, like the massive fleet of everyone the Doctor beat in the past showing up to cram him into the Pandorica.
    I mean, the Daleks want to kill everything in the universe that's not them, right? Consider how terrifying an enemy you would need to be facing to count them as an acceptable ally to have at your side.

Well, the Doctor always wins.

So, even if all of this were to occur, you know the "reveal" at the end before it goes back to being a good Doctor would be that the previous Doctor saw it all coming and set everyone and everything up so that they could "beat" him and get it all back on track in the end.

It would still be him winning.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    see317 wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:

Well, the Doctor always wins.

So, even if all of this were to occur, you know the "reveal" at the end before it goes back to being a good Doctor would be that the previous Doctor saw it all coming and set everyone and everything up so that they could "beat" him and get it all back on track in the end.

It would still be him winning.

Not necessarily. This time it could be the companions that win. The Doctor could fail to be evil or whatnot and the companions could defeat/redeem him.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The doctor going evil could be a common side effect of a Time Lord just getting too damn old. He knew it was coming, but he always felt he would be the exception. The whole thing with the companions saving him would be a great way to go. He is always lamenting about being alone.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The doctor going evil could be a common side effect of a Time Lord just getting too damn old. He knew it was coming, but he always felt he would be the exception.

This could actually work. You can always go back to examples from the classic series like Borusa and Hedin (or even Morbius, Rassilon or Omega) as Time Lords going corrupt and insane towards the end of their lives, particularly if they tried to extend their lives.

I guess the Master could also have been an example before the introduction of the 'drums' explanation.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Krathoon wrote:
    The doctor going evil could be a common side effect of a Time Lord just getting too damn old. He knew it was coming, but he always felt he would be the exception. The whole thing with the companions saving him would be a great way to go. He is always lamenting about being alone.

He knew it was coming because the Time Lords gave him the chance to meet his dark side in person. Before that he had no clue he had evil incarnations. Prior to that I could believe he thought he was an exception.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Another idea could be that the doctor was working on a machine to fix this, but he was too late and the companions/past doctors have to finish it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I want an evil Doctor plot mainly for the reason that a smoldering to downright angry Matt Smith is quite the sight to behold.

On the other hand, it's probably only effective since we so rarely see this Doctor get well and truly pissed off. It would probably lose its magic if we saw an entire episode like that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    Oh hell yeah
    A good man goes to war had some of those

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Watching "The City of Death" on Netflix now.

Tom Baker's voice is deeper than I had imagined.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    I want an evil Doctor plot mainly for the reason that a smoldering to downright angry Matt Smith is quite the sight to behold.

On the other hand, it's probably only effective since we so rarely see this Doctor get well and truly pissed off. It would probably lose its magic if we saw an entire episode like that.

I imagine he wouldn't get as much screentime as normal. More of a shadowy figure working in the background sort of thing. Showing up here and there, like Moriarty.

• Options
    Warehouse 13 is a good show to catch up on during the break between seasons.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote:
    Warehouse 13 is a good show to catch up on during the break between seasons.

Yep.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    You guys heard about this crossover comic right?
    doctor-who-star-trek-comic.jpeg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I'm going to need more info on this right now.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SniperGuy wrote:

Just search for Doctor Who Star Trek crossover comic. IDW is starting a new comic in May. Nothing else is know other than it being in TNG. It'll be officially announced Feb 17 so more info then maybe.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    So I'm finally all caught up after watching series six and I still have one nagging question.
    Just where does the church stand in all of this? In Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone they recruited Dr. Song to infiltrate the byzantine and investigate the weeping angel not to mention they implied that they intended on keeping Dr. Song prisoner.

But in this series they repeatedly helped out the silence kidnap and brainwash Melody in order to kill the Doctor. So why are the church keeping Dr. Song locked up for a crime that they helped make her commit?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think the explanation is
    it's the Church at two different points in its history. IIRC, The Time of Angels is set a couple of centuries later from the Church's point of view. There is the line at the start about the museum the Doctor and Amy are in being the final resting place of the Headless Monks, but that could be a completely different time to when the Byzantium crashed.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    sci-fi-fantasy-strange-man-who-wont-tell-you-his-name-offers-you-a-ride-in-a-vehicle.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:

Just search for Doctor Who Star Trek crossover comic. IDW is starting a new comic in May. Nothing else is know other than it being in TNG. It'll be officially announced Feb 17 so more info then maybe.

I thought it was revealed that the villains were a
    Cyberman/Borg alliance
    ? Or was that just speculation based on the
    Assimilation^2
    title?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Benedict Cumberbatch is the new Master in the 50th anniversay special!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/27/master-sherlock-benedict-cumberbatch-in-doctor-who/

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/27/master-sherlock-benedict-cumberbatch-in-doctor-who/

Interesting and awesome if true. I wonder how they'll Whowave him back in.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Might happen off-screen. Or the entire story is about the Master returning from
    time-locked Gallifrey.
    Either way I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Might happen off-screen. Or the entire story is about the Master returning from
    time-locked Gallifrey.
    Either way I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Indeedly do.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    And now, a picture from season 7.
    4ugZt.jpg

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    We're no where near the start of season 7, are we?

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

Comes back in...august? I think?

• Options
    Depends, is five months "near" to you?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Depends, is five months "near" to you?

No. Way too far

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck yes, Wikipedia says (season 7 casting spoilers)
    Rupert Graves will be in one episode, I always want to see more of him on Sherlock

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Oh my god, Cumberbatch as the Master is so perfect. I know he probably won't just be Sherlock minus the comedy/moments of humanity, but I always thought that Sherlock could make a great villain.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Cumberbatch as the Master vs Eleven seems perfect. They've got the same odd face thing going on, and if it's just a Time Lord version of Sherlock, that'd make a great nemesis for the mad professor of Eleven. Just, y'know, if John Simm was manic and energetic to mirror Tennant, hopefully that's kept in mind writing a 'new' Master - a new set of traits to mirror the new Doctor.

...mainly I just want him less manic. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Wait, is the Cumberbatch-as-the-Master thing confirmed now? Last I had heard it was just a rumor.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

It's not where we are, but when we are.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

It's not where we are, but when we are.

We're nowhen near the start of season 7.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Is this how you people normally experience time? Slowly, and in the correct order?

This discussion has been closed.