As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Venture Bros.] Apparently the movie is erasing the existence of the series

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It is ridiculous bureaucratic rule lawyering that the evil organization is run by for some reason.
    Which is what makes the Guild of Calamitous Intent such a joy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It is ridiculous bureaucratic rule lawyering that the evil organization is run by for some reason.
    Yup, the Banality of Evil and Punchclock Villains are 2 of my favorite tropes in the genre so the GCI is essentially one of the best parts of the show for me.

Dr. Z was also already one of my favorite characters but he has seriously been shooting up the ranks for me this season. The chicken tenders briefing was just fantastic.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »
    Yup, the Banality of Evil and Punchclock Villains are 2 of my favorite tropes in the genre so the GCI is essentially one of the best parts of the show for me.

Dr. Z was also already one of my favorite characters but he has seriously been shooting up the ranks for me this season. The chicken tenders briefing was just fantastic.
    Who'd have guessed that, out of all the Johnny Quest characters out there, the one they'd have the most fun with is Dr. Z(in)?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

Who'd have guessed that, out of all the Johnny Quest characters out there, the one they'd have the most fun with is Dr. Z(in)?
    Given the direction they've taken the Johnny-verse I'm not sure there's anyone else they could have any fun with. He's probably best if they keep the doses small but Dr. Z is a standout whenever he's around.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Please refresh my memory
    Brown Widow is the Bear Mascot right?
    I’ve been told the character, Scare Bear, showed up in a previous season at a villain audition.

Yes he did indeed
    He showed up at the end of the auditions, but wasn't on a list or anything. As far as I can remember he just creeped everyone out and then left. It was a great gag, but seemed like nothing more at the time...

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So, is next week's season finale a real season finale where we won't hear anything about the show for 2+ years, or is it a mid-season break that networks have begun calling season finales and will be back in a few months?

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    (will the Venture Bros.) be back in a few months?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, is next week's season finale a real season finale where we won't hear anything about the show for 2+ years, or is it a mid-season break that networks have begun calling season finales and will be back in a few months?

Has this show ever been back in a few months?
    I'm guessing it's a real season finale and the show will return to hibernating for another few years until we hear that it's coming back starting in half an hour.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This season has been god damn amazing. I have loved everything about.

Latest episode:
    I knew exactly what was going to happen with Dean and Hank. It was sad but easily predictable. I mean Dean is a functional normal person. Hank is Hank.

Murder bear though? Seriously it has to be Dean's roommate right?

Also the Monarch continues to be amazing. And that god damn gag with the time traveling ventures.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Dean's roomate is Spider-Man.
    The bear is holding a grudge against Dean because Dean didn't properly introduce him six years ago.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It's only been about a year in show time I think.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Latest episode:
    I knew exactly what was going to happen with Dean and Hank. It was sad but easily predictable. I mean Dean is a functional normal person. Hank is Hank.

Also the Monarch continues to be amazing. And that god damn gag with the time traveling ventures.

To the last point.
    It drives me a tiny bit nuts to know that there is almost no way they're going to resolve that in the season finale, and I'm going to be waiting years for the time traveling adventures of Rusty Venture and Quizboy.
    And, when they pay off that setup, years down the line, it'll be a sentence, maybe two if I'm lucky.
    But it's some comfort that I'm fairly certain it will have been worth the wait.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The lawn darts bit really brought me back. For years my grandma had a set in her closet and my mom never let us near it. When we got older I noticed it was a giant weighted spike and that they were illegal.

I doubt Gram knew but man

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm 90% positive they mentioned they didn't write a conclusion for this season again.

See you guys in two years!

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Latest episode:

I have no proof of this at all, but I'm convinced somehow that murder bear is Hank from the future

• Options
    The lawn darts bit really brought me back. For years my grandma had a set in her closet and my mom never let us near it. When we got older I noticed it was a giant weighted spike and that they were illegal.

I doubt Gram knew but man

The most dangerous game!

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I'm 90% positive they mentioned they didn't write a conclusion for this season again.

See you guys in two years!

Why? So we can be reminded that the show will be entering production in another year?

I do look forward to watching season 10 with my grandchildren.

• Options
    They have a pretty good average of two years between seasons.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    They have been worth the wait.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    They have a pretty good average of two years between seasons.

Now that they cut seasons in half.

• Options
    Oh god dammit, I just realized.

Hank and Dean have been wearing Aquaman and Spider-Man pajamas since season 1.

Hank is now dating a half-fish lady and Dean is roommates/friends with Brown Widow.

I wonder if that was intentional or just happened.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Has this show ever been back in a few months?
    I'm guessing it's a real season finale and the show will return to hibernating for another few years until we hear that it's coming back starting in half an hour.

Such a dilemma... Of course, this is entirely subjective, but I don't mind the wait when we get a season I love like the current one. On the other hand, I almost disliked every single episode of one season (the one where 21 goes to jail and dons the "Viceroy Butterfly" identity), and waiting 2 years or more for a season you don't end up enjoying is bound to end up leaving a sour taste in your mouth.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

I quite like that The Venture Bros. is this thing that has been floating around in the background my entire adult life, resurfacing every now and again to make me very happy. I wouldn't be sad to be watching a new season in a nursing home. Might start going, "Hope they wrap this up soon" but that's about it.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I quite like that The Venture Bros. is this thing that has been floating around in the background my entire adult life, resurfacing every now and again to make me very happy. I wouldn't be sad to be watching a new season in a nursing home. Might start going, "Hope they wrap this up soon" but that's about it.

I feel like if Doc and Publick are alive when we're in nursing homes something has gone very wrong

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    Last episode Bear discussion:
    I don't think Murder Bear is anyone at all. I just think he found hank, and wanted to show him to most terrible thing, so he took him to see that his girlfriend was cheating on him with his brother. Emotional Trauma Horror!

Also, I entirely don't follow the internal logic of getting Billy to pass the tech into the fan. It doesn't even make sense in the Venture Universe. The tech would just fall right through, or launch away. Even if Rusty was messing with him on purpose, I don't buy Billy agreeing to that stupid plan.

I have to say I miss Dr Orpheus. I episode in the last 2 seasons is not enough Dr. O.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Quality > quantity, something that more TV shows should probably focus on.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    That was pretty good. Can't wait for next week's episode. Strange they didn't show a preview for it but surely a season lasts longer than 10 episodes, right?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That was the season finale. At least, it said so

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    You know...
    Since it's now officially confirmed, that Rusty and and Malcom are brothers, and now we get a preview that the next Venture Bros Generational arching will be between Dean and Hank. Remember, the Monarch favors His nephew Hank over Dean. Hank reminds Malcom of himself. I wonder The Monarch takes Hank under his wing now?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    You know...
    Since it's now officially confirmed, that Rusty and and Malcom are brothers, and now we get a preview that the next Venture Bros Generational arching will be between Dean and Hank. Remember, the Monarch favors His nephew Hank over Dean. Hank reminds Malcom of himself. I wonder The Monarch takes Hank under his wing now?
    it is confirmed they are blood related. I don't think they specifically said brothers

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    You know...
    it is confirmed they are blood related. I don't think they specifically said brothers
    They all but say Jonas is the Monarchs biological father. It is very heavily implied.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    You know...
    They all but say Jonas is the Monarchs biological father. It is very heavily implied.
    I think this is the kind of show that would screw with that, but I dunno.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So it's a good thing Brock didn't go through the teleporter, his heart, being mechanical, would probably have cause a bad reaction and put him in a coma or worse.

Handkor on
  • Options
    So after the amazing three parter to end last season start the season, does anyone else feel not a lot happened?
    There was some cool stuff, but it just feels like the show is so serial now it has lost a bit of its old charm.

• Options
    So after the amazing three parter to end last season start the season, does anyone else feel not a lot happened?
    There was some cool stuff, but it just feels like the show is so serial now it has lost a bit of its old charm.
    Monarch is now level 10, he and Rusty know they're related, Hank is now awol and know's his mother's real name.

It definitely feels like we're missing a big payoff, which is how the last two seasons have felt.

• Options
    Monarch is now level 10, he and Rusty know they're related, Hank is now awol and know's his mother's real name.

It definitely feels like we're missing a big payoff, which is how the last two seasons have felt.
    I need to rewatch the season, but I didn't think Malcolm would be up to a lvl10 yet.
    I did like how Dean is actually fully aware of everything.

Well if we are lucky the season finale, the real one, will be released separately from next season like Gargantua-2 was.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well we didn't get any kind of double episode or special this season. The opening 3 episodes could have definitely been one but they aired them all as their individual episodes. Probably so this could feel like a full season of 10 episodes rather than us getting an early special and then a truncated season of 7 or 8 episodes.

• Options
    Don't forget, the creators have flat-out said that they just plain forget to write season finales.

Even so, the finale to this season felt a little more impactful than the finale to last season, which introduced Red Death and didn't do much else.

....don't get me wrong, Red Death is awesome. But still.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Also
    Jonas was alive almost and his current fate is vague, we learned about Vendata and the good man that Kano killed. Rusty is also a clone.

This season was kinda loaded.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee