The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Identify That [90s] TV Show!

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldRound Rock, TXRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
This probably would have been early 1990's. Maaaybe late 1980's, but I feel early 90's. I thought I remembered 2 things about the show, but just identified one and can't seem to confirm the second thing was from the same show.

The first thing that I identified was from the show Vanishing Son, where the main character was kidnapped and one of the kidnappers kept saying "I could have killed you, but didn't. Could've, but didn't."

The second thing was from a martial arts show, possibly Vanishing Son. I don't know if it was a regular thing or only for one episode, but I feel like it happened more than once. Anyway, I remember the main guy using some secret martial arts technique to make his heart skip a beat or slow down or something that enabled him to do something physically demanding or slow down time or something. I don't remember the exact purpose, but definitely remember skipping a beat or something like that.

Any ideas what show it was? Google has failed me thus far.

Sir Carcass on

• th3thirdmanth3thirdman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    might have been an episode of Kung Fu: The Legend Continues

th3thirdman on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's possible because I used to watch that one too around the same time. I didn't think it was that show, but I haven't checked it out. It'll give me something to research, anyway. Thanks.

Sir Carcass on
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's earlier than what you've stated (1984) but the voluntary-slowing-of-heartbeat technique was used by the main guy on The Master. It's probably not a particularly unique gimmick though.

I feel like ninja movies / TV shows peaked in the mid-eighties. It's certainly when my desire to be a ninja peaked.

Drake Chambers on
    steam_sig.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't think it was that one, but I may try to track down an episode.

I feel like this heart thing was a big deal in the show, like maybe it was one of his main abilities. I feel the guy was younger, maybe mid 20's. I want to say the ability was mentioned in the voice over during the show opening or during a vignette. I'm kind of envisioning that because I know that's exactly what he was doing and it's kind of hard to get that across in the heat of the moment. I can almost see the dude running toward the camera while that is explained, and then him doing something superhuman.

Sir Carcass on
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't think it was that one, but I may try to track down an episode.

I feel like this heart thing was a big deal in the show, like maybe it was one of his main abilities. I feel the guy was younger, maybe mid 20's. I want to say the ability was mentioned in the voice over during the show opening or during a vignette. I'm kind of envisioning that because I know that's exactly what he was doing and it's kind of hard to get that across in the heat of the moment. I can almost see the dude running toward the camera while that is explained, and then him doing something superhuman.

Hm, yeah, that doesn't sound like The Master. Lee Van Cleef was about 60 at the time, and it was clearly ninja-centric.

Curious to hear the answer to this one as well.

Drake Chambers on
    steam_sig.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Perhaps related, and I hope this helps with the searching, but in the show, a guy gets stabbed or shot or something in the hand, and the other guy teaches him how to not feel pain, by imagining it as a knob on a stove that he turned off with his mind. Sounds kind of related, because only with some martial arts can you just not feel pain or something. The episode was from a show at the same time, and I want to believe it's the same thing.
    I hope this helps you narrow it down a bit.

L Ron Howard on
    Steam
    NNID - bejamus
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It may have been "Raven" with Lee Majors too. Stuff like that always went down on that show and it was on in the early 90s.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    Man, how many shows are there with martial art dudes traveling around helping people. Most of them have some sort of long lost child, too.

I don't think it's Raven. I was a huge Fall Guy fan when I was little, so I think I'd remember watching another show with Lee Majors. It's not ringing any bells.

I swear I didn't imagine this! I've Googled every combination I can think of but no luck so far (though I did find my own OP with several combinations). It could very well be Vanishing Son or Kung Fu: TLC since I definitely remember watching those, but I'd have to watch some episodes again to be sure.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Someone else had to have seen this show. I'm also seeing the word Dragon, but that could just be confused ramblings.

I guess it's also possible that it wasn't martial arts at all and I'm just confusing it with one of the MA shows I watched, but I definitely remember the heart thing.

Sir Carcass on