As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek Online] Hop on my deck. Now Free to Play!

• Options
    ValaenaValaena Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Glad I could help ;)

Anyone have any tips for my spec? I've respecced a few times and this one seemed to play the best, but if there's another that would have better performance, please let me know

edit: Updated Build

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skill planner should be working now.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the_more_you_know2.jpg
    Yeah, I just fucking respecced my guy also. Oh well, I'm coming close to hitting Commander and getting a free respec so huzzah for that.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    earthonlineearthonline Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i havent played sto in like a year is it worth getting back into?

earthonline on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i havent played sto in like a year is it worth getting back into?

I'd say so, and Season 4 is gonna be dropping some good stuff. There's a decent pool of Penny Arcaders around and I'm playing like a fiend when I'm home from work so there's at least always me around.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'd say so. Its about to drop a massive combat overhaul, with a new duty officer system and introduction levels shorty after that.

And you've got a great group of people to play with, of course. ;)

edit: hopefully it'll be shortly after

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So something I've never been able to shake since I first saw it on All Good Things: The Galaxy X is the most jury rigged starship I have ever seen in a professional franchise. There's just no way I could ever bring myself to actually fly that thing in game.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah. That was a case of "uhh, we have all these extra models and its the last episode"

"lets make something I guess"

Jasconius on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah I love how the third bussard collector just totally blocks the main shuttle bay.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So if anyone is starting a new character, whether it be an alt or you're first character, hit me up. I'm more than willing to power you guys through the Breen missions so that you'll have the Breen set available and all of the dailies there.

Also, if you want to just mission run in general gimme a hollar, I've been missioning like a fiend and don't mind having extra doods around.

Assuming, yanno, that's how mission replay works.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't suppose I could wangle an invite into the Fed fleet? I've just started this. Hit Lt.Com1 and still have little to no idea about what's going on.

Also, space is lonely...

*edit = account name is Kafka87 as well.

Kafka87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Paste this into the chat window

channel_join "Penny Arcade"

and ask in there. If you do it nowish I'll add you right away. I think Im capable of adding people since the button isnt greyed out for me.

emp123 on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We have a tentative plan for updating the diplomatic immunity power.

This power will allow fed players to enter the Klingon home sector. When the duty officer system goes live, there will be unique assignments for fed players in the Klingon sector.

When the duty officer system gets released, Klingons will get an analogous power to diplomatic immunity that will allow them to enter the Sirius sector block and play unique assignments that are only available in that sector.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So something I've never been able to shake since I first saw it on All Good Things: The Galaxy X is the most jury rigged starship I have ever seen in a professional franchise. There's just no way I could ever bring myself to actually fly that thing in game.

That's basically how it happens in the real world anyway. How do you think we got UAV's wth missiles on them? Some guys strapped a stinger to an unarmed drone one day to see if it would work.

It ripped the wing off, but it scared the hell out of some less than friendly types. Now we have Reapers and Preadators.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And now the fleet has another Commander in its ranks. Fuck yeah!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hevach wrote: »
    We have a tentative plan for updating the diplomatic immunity power.

This power will allow fed players to enter the Klingon home sector. When the duty officer system goes live, there will be unique assignments for fed players in the Klingon sector.

When the duty officer system gets released, Klingons will get an analogous power to diplomatic immunity that will allow them to enter the Sirius sector block and play unique assignments that are only available in that sector.

Fucking yes! Grinding all those diplomacy missions is finally going to pay off. All I did with it before was hit noobs with it in sector space outside sol and watch them freak out as they zoom off at warp 10 having no idea what was going on.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Would anyone be interested in trying out the Cure tomorrow afternoon? Or just general group missioning?

If anyone was interested, also, we could set aside a day or two a week and make new klingon alts and level them together. Might make it less of a grind.

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Valaena wrote: »
    Would anyone be interested in trying out the Cure tomorrow afternoon? Or just general group missioning?

If anyone was interested, also, we could set aside a day or two a week and make new klingon alts and level them together. Might make it less of a grind.

If you guys grind Klinks I'd be willing to roll my Klingon aligned Andorian general out of the bar he's been living in and back into his decked out carrier to help.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Sweet. a few people have been mentioning it lately, and I can't bring myself to actually level a Klingon. so yeah, let's get a group going. Anyone know of a way to smuggle money over to a Klingon?

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sweet. a few people have been mentioning it lately, and I can't bring myself to actually level a Klingon. so yeah, let's get a group going. Anyone know of a way to smuggle money over to a Klingon?

You can mail stuff to your klink character and just auction it can't you?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's easily possible. I never dealt much on my Klingon. She's only like level 6. I'll give a direct mail a try. thanks.

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's easily possible. I never dealt much on my Klingon. She's only like level 6. I'll give a direct mail a try. thanks.

No problem. The other option would be to make a deal with someone else (from the fleet I would assume) to have your fed characters buy an auction item placed by your respective klink characters. You can't buy your own auction with one of your other characters, but someone else can.

It's even easier if you both want to transfer money to klink characters and can agree on an amount, then you wouldn't even need to trade money with each other face to face.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oooh good idea. Are all auction houses linked? And would you be willing to help me move about a million?

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Zero44Zero44 Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    I am strongly considering subbing to this (picked up a digital deluxe edition on the mega cheap from Steam a while ago). Is there an ETA for the patch for the combat upgrade? While I played a demo and it was kind of cool since the ship combat reminded me of the old Starfleet Command games, the ground combat was dreadful. Is there a post somewhere summarizing the combat system changes, or is it only the Duty officer stuff?

Zero44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Combat changes are up on Tribble if you wanted to try. But combat is scheduled to drop on the 7th. And honestly, its a pretty great time to resub. There is a good amount of active people on. Enough to help you level pretty much anytime, and enough to do the end game content. (or at least try, we're still working on downing it all. But believe me, we will. ;) )

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oooh good idea. Are all auction houses linked? And would you be willing to help me move about a million?

As far as I know the auction houses are linked. Sometime tomorrow we can coordinate a transfer for you. We'll discuss which specific item you're going to list with your klink character and the price (which we'll make a number close to a million but unique so that there will be absolutely no confusion as to which is the correct posting). Worst case scenario is the auction houses don't work that way and you can just cancel the posting and we'll figure something else out.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sweet. I don't have anything to do tomorrow so chances are ill be on a large amount.

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I grabbed this demo today on a whim, having absolutely no idea what I was getting in to. My only experience with anything Star Trek related was the recent movie, which was pretty cool I guess. In any case, the demo was fun so I bought the game.

So now I'm just kinda drifting around wondering what I'm supposed to be doing. I have no idea what to spend my skill points on, what bridge officers I should to be taking, or really even what ship I want when I get to that point. So I'm gonna have some fun doing research tomorrow I suppose :P

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What class are you? And what do you want to fly?

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I honestly don't remember what class I am. When the demo finished patching, all I cared about doing was getting into the character creator. So I kinda glazed over that part.

Think I'm a science officer tho. And I'm leaning towards cruisers as far a ships go.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, that was annoying. I'm keeping the second post, since its the one that I edited.

jamesra on
    "Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

You can mail stuff to your klink character and just auction it can't you?

Yes, you can mail stuff from Klinks to Feds; I used to do it all the time when I was leveling and crafting my Klink. The only restriction is the standard one: if you mail an item, it must be sent from a station mail terminal, and to retrieve the item, you have to go to a station mail terminal. But mailing stuff around is far and away the easiest means to move stuff between alts (regardless of affiliation). Obviously, the standard restrictions apply: if you can't auction it (because its bound) you also can't mail it.

ETA: auction houses are linked (or rather, there is only one auction house) but the proposed transfer scheme up thread is really needlessly cumbersome. Just mail it to "@[$account_name]" and any of the characters on that account can grab the loot.

jamesra on
    "Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Our fake money laundering scheme was under the impression that we couldn't direct mail. But since we can, I mean, there isn't any reason to do that anymore.

edit: also, is there any way to change the damn kdf colour scheme? I can only manage about one mission at a time right now because all the red gives me a headache.

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    As far as I know, you can't change the UI colors... If you think it's annoying now, go to Tribble and walk around First City. With the whole blood and fire fetish the city planners had the UI's even worse.

Also, cloak bug is fixed at long goddamn last:
    The fix for this issue is not as simple as it sounds. It involves touching every single map in the game, which is a ridiculously high number.

That being said, we did it and the fix will be in the next tribble push.

Hevach on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cloak bug?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Any time you get a communications message, one of those little pop up messages, an NPC says anything, an enemy or ally warps in, in some missions if an objective updates, or you fly in range of an interactive object, your cloak drops and goes on cooldown and you're forced into combat. If you have an enemy targeted, they'll agro even at extreme range, and will be able to hit when they come into range even if you managed to cloak again in the mean time.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did they ever fix that hilarious Exploration mission exploit where you could do a scan+combat mission without the combat by just not advancing the text on the initial hail?

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Did they ever fix that hilarious Exploration mission exploit where you could do a scan+combat mission without the combat by just not advancing the text on the initial hail?

I don't know, but in several of the Breen missions there are space mobs that don't pop up until you advance through the text, and I use this to position myself right on top of them and pop Eject Warp Plasma on them the moment they pop.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    woo efficient saurian bridge officer earned from leveling

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I don't know, but in several of the Breen missions there are space mobs that don't pop up until you advance through the text, and I use this to position myself right on top of them and pop Eject Warp Plasma on them the moment they pop.

The answer is probably "no" then. Leveling is insanely fast when you can do 3x anomalies in 3 minutes and get that sweet, sweet bonus completion xp.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
This discussion has been closed.