As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek Online] Hop on my deck. Now Free to Play!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Can you get keys without paying money?

I don't mind buying a few keys because I've gotten enough playtime to warrent a few bucks thrown in cryptic's direction, but I bought a ship and some duty officers instead

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you can buy them on the exchange for energy credits. They're generally fairly expensive, but money is easy to get.

To be honest, I don't see why people complain so much about lockboxes. Yes, it gets old to have them pop up all the time, but you can literally just ignore them and it's no big deal. They're a cash grab, but the game went free to play, so it's just kind of a necessary thing. It makes them money, you play the game for free. If you don't like it, don't mess with them and you are completely unaffected. You aren't being exploited, screwed over, or anything like that.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    You're definitely being exploited. They straight up lied about them.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'm being exploited by boxes I don't loot, open, or pay attention to because I don't like the concept?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    I'm being exploited by boxes I don't loot, open, or pay attention to because I don't like the concept?

Yes, you are. Your energy credits are being devalued by the devs pumping billions of credits into the market to buy up the accidentally-unbound boxes. Your dilithium is being devalued by the large-scale market manipulation taking place around box releases. Your ships are being denied capabilities that they set aside for lockboxes.

• Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    Gozer released his first weekly status update about his PvP revamp project.

Apparently his first goal is to decide if STO PvP can be saved, or if Cryptic is better off scrapping it.

The forum thread is epic. I've seen forums that were worse than the STO forums...Warhammer Online was *nasty* because of neglect, but the STO forums win top prize for having the most pathetic human beings on the planet congregating in one place. For every calm, mature person there are five Comic Book Guys from the Simpsons, only with worse grammar.

And yet I keep going back. Obviously, I need professional help.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mellestad wrote: »

Apparently his first goal is to decide if STO PvP can be saved, or if Cryptic is better off scrapping it.

The forum thread is epic. I've seen forums that were worse than the STO forums...Warhammer Online was *nasty* because of neglect, but the STO forums win top prize for having the most pathetic human beings on the planet congregating in one place. For every calm, mature person there are five Comic Book Guys from the Simpsons, only with worse grammar.

You know the bottom half of the internet is always terrible. Most forums is the bottom half of the internet all the time.

You know this. Why do you have to intentionally seek to stand in the stupid?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular

You know the bottom half of the internet is always terrible. Most forums is the bottom half of the internet all the time.

:(

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

Sometimes you have to see the worst to feel better about yourself. That and posts like that can be pretty funny to read. Feeding off of the writers' impotent tears of rage and all that.

• Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    kafziel wrote: »
    Yes, you are. Your energy credits are being devalued by the devs pumping billions of credits into the market to buy up the accidentally-unbound boxes. Your dilithium is being devalued by the large-scale market manipulation taking place around box releases. Your ships are being denied capabilities that they set aside for lockboxes.

How is dilithium being devalued if it is being manipulated by the players? If people are willing to exchange their dilithium for CP at those rates, how are you going to argue that CP is worth less dil? The value of dilithium and CP are tied directly to the worth of their respective stores.

How are ships being denied abilities set aside for lock boxes?

Explain how giving everything away for free is a good business plan.

Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    No one argued or is arguing they should be given away for free. Just that lockboxes have an affect beyond those who use them and that they have not been honest about them.

Really the only benefit to the playerbase because of lockboxes is the inclusion of ships they couldn't otherwise offer.

• Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    hazywater wrote: »
    How are ships being denied abilities set aside for lock boxes?

Explain how giving everything away for free is a good business plan.

The main appeal of the Ferengi D'kora ship is that it has onboard access to your bank, mail, the exchange and even freaking Dabo via your bridge. This is something people have been begging for since the beginning of the game...so naturally they put it on a ship available via the lockbox lottery. Then you have the contents of the Lobi store. The devs once had a thread asking the players what they'd like to see in a GPL store. Naturally they got a lot of suggestions because GPL is pretty useless and shouldn't be. Now where did most of those suggestions end up? The Lobi store. For insane prices. With the exception of the 20 Lobi you can earn this month by replaying every FE rerurn (1 Lobi per mission) you can only gain more Lobi by opening lockboxes, with the average per box being about 2 Lobi "won." Given that the 3 piece Ferengi set to kit out your Ferengi D'kori costs 600 Lobi total (200 per item) and costume items cost about the same you can see how the people who made those suggestions for a GPL store feel betrayed now that the items exist in store that uses a currency you can only gain by paying to open a ton of lockboxes.

No one expects this stuff to be given away for free. What we object to is that instead of these items being placed in the C-store for direct purchase at a fixed price, they have instead opted to sell you the slight chance of winning them via gambling with odds so low of winning that they refuse to release them due to it apparently being misread as an "admittance of guilt".

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Seems like a salvagable situation, if they're interested in it

Giving some kind of direct cstore -> lobi conversion would work maybe? Or just increase the amount in the lockboxes to a known set amount (a lot more than 2 or whatever it is now)

• Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    That's probably what annoyed me the most about the lockboxes...

I don't mind the look of the D'kora but i'd much rather be able to 'install' a bank/mail/exchange/dabo 'console'(or item in bag or something) on my Galaxy retrofit than have to fly the D'kora (not that i have one nor do i plan on buying one with EC).

I don't mind paying for C-store ships/items (As i said i have a Galaxy retrofit and a LRS retrofit), What i refuse to do however is play a bullshit random gamble to get ships/items through shitty lockboxes so i guess that's there loss (or probably gain since a decent amount of people seem to love the games of chance).

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    One thing to remember is that developers don't know how to do Free-to-play. While its been in Asian games for years, it only quite recently made it to western games. A lot of this is Cryptic trying to figure out how to make money off of this. We also don't know just how much freedom they have to add content to their game. Cryptic claims that CBS is very protective of their IP, but forums are awash with people who don't believe them. Supposedly, lockboxes was the only way to get CBS to agree to the Bug, Galor, and D'Kora.

If you don't like lockboxes, don't participate in them. They are entirely optional. You will be helping Cryptic figure out what their playerbase wants. Game metrics are much louder than forum posts.

Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    that and the internet culture is different, so a F2P system is going to be completely different between east and west. I can assume most of us don't play exclusively at cyber cafes

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    They should just sit down and look at how CoH handles F2P.

Then take copious notes.

Then cry that they're not as good at it.

• Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    They should just sit down and look at how CoH handles F2P.

Then take copious notes.

Then cry that they're not as good at it.

Or how DDO does it. Really, there's lots of good examples of how to do not-retarded F2P.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I haven't actually tried DDO since it went F2P, I should do that sometime.

• Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    ha... wow

I often post in zone im trading 5 lockbox ships to get a jem'hadar ship, I post this once every 15-20 minutes so it won't be considered spam.

Guy pms me tonight trying to get me to sell him all 5 ships for a low sum, saying how Im silly and will never get the ship yadadada He's doing me a favour etc, I tell him flat out he's wrong and trying to rip me off and thats that, so he gets "upset"
    few mins after that I see him posting in zone right after I post my offer, looking for the jem ship but he's offering an insane amount for it and wants people to "mail him" if they are interested ha!

but I guess he started to get upset that I was still posting my offer, someone (I imagine him) spammed the report spam option on me, and now im silenced for 24 hours, can't even send a mail or talk in fleet.

Cryptic really needs to re-work how that works, Ive heard of other people having trolls do the same thing to them just to piss them off, but having it done first hand to me, it sucks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Hmm. Roach is a paranoid lunatic, but, there's the argument that if Cryptic can say:

"We are considering to eliminate PvP because it doesn't give enough money"

It can also say the same about the Klingon faction. They could very well turn them into LotR monster play (IMO, a decision that should have been made waaaay before launch) and be done with it.

(And, once re-trait/re-species tokens are up, it would be easier).

Of course, there's the argument that player backlash would cause the money to dry up, but, well, if Klingon players are considered to be represented by guys like Roach....yeah.

There's also the argument of this is just Gozer being a tool, and he has orders of not deleting PvP, so he's just saying that to rile up the fanbase and/or to see if there's enough fanbase left to rile up.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Isn't the point of a MMO to add features over time? It seems like it would be proverbial suicide if they were to remove all PvP.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It would. That's why I think that this probably Gozer being a tool. I'm just exploring the arguments.

Also, this news traveled quite a bit:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/12/cryptic-developer-star-trek-online-pvp-is-fail/

http://kotaku.com/5909914/star-trek-online-developer-admits-the-games-pvp-sucks

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    PW's profit margins in its other games is largely earned via gambling-based upgrades sold to the competitive/PvP crowd. It would not surprise me at all if Gozer is being inflammatory to see how much interest the community has in PvP in general. If it turns out that STO just doesn't grab the high-spending competitive customer they're looking for, then the game's days will be numbered the instant the Lockbox well goes dry.

If that's the direction PW is pushing in, then the PvP system will need to be hugely revamped. We'd need to have some kind of persistent PvP system that would make it worthwhile for people to participate in on a wide scale, like maybe an entire sector where feds/klinks fight over territory.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    So how do I get a lot of dilithium in this game? I managed to see that there was a Starfleet Academy mission last night for an hour where I could run around and try to collect energy particles on campus. I did that enough to get about 37 crystals. I want more. Do they run that every day? Or is there something else I can do to get around 2000 dilithium in short order?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So how do I get a lot of dilithium in this game? I managed to see that there was a Starfleet Academy mission last night for an hour where I could run around and try to collect energy particles on campus. I did that enough to get about 37 crystals. I want more. Do they run that every day? Or is there something else I can do to get around 2000 dilithium in short order?

"Investigate Officer Reports," a daily for 1440 that requires you to do 3 foundry missions. Search for "broken console" and you can find a lot of one click missions to get it done in a few seconds, or Nagus Daily for quick non-cheating missions.
    "Explore Strange New Worlds" requires you to do any of the Explore the ______ missions for 1440. Have to remember to get both missions, since it counts the mission and not the exploration cluster systems you do. There's a B'tran daily that also gives 1440 for 3 systems, but it won't count for the other daily.
    Turning in contraband from doff missions is good for 3000.
    The PVP and fleet action dailies both give 1440
    The dailies in Eta Eridani and Deferi space give 480 each.
    At Starfleet Academy there's a teacher in the same building as the doff recruiter who gives two Federation History assignments. One gives you a random data chip (which gives you an accolade that has part of the text from the timeline), the other asks you a random question based on one of them. It's not always the same chapter as the chip they just gave you, and there's a fuckton of chips to collect, but the answers are all on stowiki.

Every STF pays some dilithium at the end, double if it's the double data chip event. And the mirror incursion event (probably the vault event, too, I don't do that one much) gives a smaller sum than an STF, but can be repeated back to back. Mirror event is still one of the fastest ways to get it.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

There is a DOFF mission to turn in 3 Contraband (From Inspect Freighter/Crew/Investigate etc missions) for 2k Dilithium on any major spaceport, look for a security officer.). You also get 500 Dil for the larger Colonisation Doff missions.

At max level you can also do a nice stack of Explore Strange new worlds (1440) and Chart the B'tan cluster (in borg space) for a total of 2880, for about maybe 20-25min or less of time. Additionally you can do the 3 dailies in Defri space for around 2k or so, over 25min.

Lastly, the Mirror Universe events are 460 a pop, as are any STFs (Space Normal STFs are fairly bomb proof in getting them done, can't speak for Elites though as I have not tried them. Ground STFs are in my experience, horrible.).

Oh an there is a lore mission at Starfleet academy for 460 a day, which is really easy because you can just look up the answers on the STO wiki :P

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Also, would there be any real reason to spend actual money to buy an Excelsior class vehicle if I already own a Stargazer class? I rather like the Stargazer now that I've gotten used to it. But having the additional tactical console might make up for it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Also, would there be any real reason to spend actual money to buy an Excelsior class vehicle if I already own a Stargazer class? I rather like the Stargazer now that I've gotten used to it. But having the additional tactical console might make up for it.

You'd be ditching both as soon as you hit 30 anyway. Don't waste the money.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    kafziel wrote: »

You'd be ditching both as soon as you hit 30 anyway. Don't waste the money.

I agree. Don't waste your money on c-store ships until you hit 50. I know some crazy people who buy c-store ships for their unique consoles, but that's a lot of money just for one little powerup. The redmatter one would be really handy sometimes.

• Options
    ZalzidraxZalzidrax Registered User regular
    If you want to fly an Exclesior at some point, save up for the T5 refit. It's pretty sweet.

• Options
    The next new ship according to tweets reported in the 'What the Devs are up to' thread at STO.com's forums is said to be 'pointy' and 'sharp, like a beak'. Posts following that are guessing a Tholian ship due to them making their presence known in Season 6.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Wouldn't "like a beak" imply Romulan? Since all their ships look like birds.

EDIT: And another thing... I went into the Starfleet Academy area last night, and I found that one big room where the woman gives the test questions, and I also found at the center desk, a person that would let me request new duty officers, but it kep telling me I didn't have the relevant "tier 2" duty officer. How do I get tier 2 duty officers?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Wow, these guys became available quicker then I thought.

riYuA.jpg
    The fierce Ferasans have joined the Klingon Defense Force!

Starting this Thursday (May 17, 2012), around 10AM PDT, the KDF's new Ferasan playable species and Bridge Officers will be available for sale in the C-Store.

A felinoid species that originated on the planet Ferasa, Ferasans are closely related to Caitians. Ferasans are bipedal, have tails that assist their balance, extended maxillary canine teeth and large eyes with excellent night vision. Their skin is covered with a soft fur coat, and their felinoid ears can pick up frequencies that most humanoids are unable to detect. Some Ferasans have telepathic abilities.

Ferasan Playable Species (480 Cryptic Points)

Unlocking this option allows you to create Klingon Empire Ferasan characters with the following characteristics:

-Predatory Instincts: 75 percent bonus to Jump Height, 5 percent bonus to Stealth and Perception, 5 percent bonus to Melee Damage, 10 percent bonus to Exploit Damage
    -Two traits of the player's choice

As a bonus, unlocking Ferasans also unlocks new cosmetic options for any Federation Caitian character on your account (if you have unlocked Caitians)!

Note: This playable species is only available as a Klingon Defense Force character. Purchase of this option unlocks Ferasans for every character slot on an account. You must qualify for Klingon play to make a Ferasan character.

Klingon Empire Ferasan Bridge Officer Requisition (400 Cryptic Points)

All Ferasan Bridge Officers have the following traits:

Predatory Instincts: bonus to Jump Height, Stealth and Perception, Melee Damage and Exploit Damage

Telepathic: Bonus to Perception and extends duration of Expose

Pounce (Ferasan Tactical Officers only): Lunge power

To claim your Ferasan Bridge Officer, visit a Requisition Officer on Qo'noS.

Note: These Bridge Officers are only available to Klingon Defense Force characters. Ferasan Bridge Officer Requisitions are tradable. To gain additional Ferasan Bridge Officers, you must acquire another Ferasan Bridge Officer Requisition Form. There are male and female options for Tactical, Science and Engineering officers. These officers are not Unique, so you may have multiple Ferasans on your crew.

If you discard, sell, trade or use a Ferasan Bridge Officer for training, you WILL NOT be able to claim a free replacement from the C-Store.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Please tell me that they didn't gate all the appearance options that those with Catian characters have been asking for since Catians went live behind yet another pay-for race?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Whatever the ship is, I'm assuming it'll be a lockbox ship. It would fit the pattern they seem to be trying to build, since it's been Galor>Flagships>D'kora>Catbox>____
    Wouldn't "like a beak" imply Romulan? Since all their ships look like birds.

EDIT: And another thing... I went into the Starfleet Academy area last night, and I found that one big room where the woman gives the test questions, and I also found at the center desk, a person that would let me request new duty officers, but it kep telling me I didn't have the relevant "tier 2" duty officer. How do I get tier 2 duty officers?

They're styled like birds, but they generally don't have sharp lines, they're quite graceful ships.

The NPC gives commendation rewards. In order to get anything from her, you need to get commendation tiers in the category selected. When you do, you get a token for a free doff from them (green for tier 1, green with usually better traits for tier 2, blue for tier 3 and purple for tier 4), after which the rest unlock for dilithium.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I really hope a "they're trying to rob us!" argument doesn't break out here over the Ferasans. At least wait to see exactly what and how many appearance options they and the Caitians share first before going there.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    If it's so much as the fangs, that argument will break out - remember it broke out when people discovered the eyepatch from one Klingon costume worked for Feds. Literally, people complaining that it was 320 CP for just an eyepatch. I suspect it'll be the fangs and manes, possibly some skin patterns, though I'd like to see Ferasans get a different head shape, something with a more pronounced snout. A body with Gorn-like proportions might fit, too. That ultra rare Ferasan doff's portrait makes him look like a goddamn beast, not a kitty.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I dunno if the fangs will be a shared part. They seem like a defining physical trait for the race from what I've seen.

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Man, I was just attempting to check out how the cryptic points to dollar ratio is nowadays, but Perfect World makes you go through their convoluted point store so that you can purchase Zen points that you then convert to Cryptic points.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.