As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 2011] NINTENDO - Post-keynote wrap-up and discussion here!

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    If current gen games are launch titles, I'd be wary of expecting some kind of quantum leap in rendering power over what is out now.

A lot of those games come out on PC and any $100 video card is a quantum leap over PS360.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A3L63.jpg

Stole this from Neogaf, a much better look at the Zelda HD tech demo. Looks gorgeous.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/06/07/e3-2011-wii-u-zelda-hd-demo

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If current gen games are launch titles, I'd be wary of expecting some kind of quantum leap in rendering power over what is out now.

A lot of those games come out on PC and any $100 video card is a quantum leap over PS360.

True enough. However they were designed for the lowest common denominator, and will only utilize the PCs performance boost for superfluous niceties like higher resolution and better framerate.

It's not like there will be radical, mechanical changes to the game to take advantage of the PC architecture. They will simply look better, which is perhaps one third of the visual performance of a game.

Think about how Dead Rising could only have worked on 360 architecture and not oXbox hardware, even if the textures and resolution were turned way down.

Processing power is absolutely not simply about shinies. It can be about integral game design elements, like number of enemies on screen, size of the levels, sightlines, motion and animation and AI.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Giant Bomb wrote:
    I’d also been worried about the ergonomics of the controller. How much would it weigh? Would all those buttons prove unwieldy and awkward when prompted to hit the touch screen? Had my extensive use of the iPad changed my expectations, making this feel old and broken?

None of those were concerns after playing through most of a stage in the game. The controller is light, nimble and toy-like, without feeling cheap and plasticly like most Wii accessories. You’re reminded why buttons remain a great way to interface with games, despite the motion revolution started by Nintendo just a few years ago. And while touch-only games remain incredibly interesting, this has a chance to do both.

I was jumping onto platforms, grabbing series of red coins and bopping on turtles as if I’d been playing with a Wii U for days. The controller looks much more awkward to use than it is to actually use it, a feel that could only get better with extended play.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

True enough. However they were designed for the lowest common denominator, and will only utilize the PCs performance boost for superfluous niceties like higher resolution and better framerate.

It's not like there will be radical, mechanical changes to the game to take advantage of the PC architecture. They will simply look better, which is perhaps one third of the visual performance of a game.

Think about how Dead Rising could only have worked on 360 architecture and not oXbox hardware, even if the textures and resolution were turned way down.

Processing power is absolutely not simply about shinies. It can be about integral game design elements, like number of enemies on screen, size of the levels, sightlines, motion and animation and AI.

I took you to be arguing that PS360 ports meant that WiiU could only have PS360 power under the hood. Also rendering power pretty much means graphics.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So processing power and the effort studios put in are not mutually exclusive. Who would'a thunk it.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He mentioned DLC too which got me excited since that confirms a hard drive of some sort
    Does it?

I mean they could just make you get/attach an external HDD.
    Giant Bomb wrote:
    You’re reminded why buttons remain a great way to interface with games, despite the motion revolution started by Nintendo just a few years ago.
    wat

forty on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just got caught up after missing the conference today and holy crap, wtf is wrong with some people? Confused? Calling it the death of Ninty?

Nintendo basically made an interactive ipad as a damn *controller*, which can act in tandem with the system OR replace the tv screen should someone else need it, as well as house nearly EVERY damn feature present in controllers and handheld systems, along with wireless video chat and content sharing??!?

This thing is going to be insane, and in a good way! If the hardware specs are true then they have nothing to worry about, and the possible applications for this pretty much encompass *anything* you can do with any current system, save maybe for the kinect.

Granted, it's early for solid game details and pricing (Which might be a sticking point), but the hardware itself looks pretty goddamn amazing! If they get the third party support right this time, this might be another route the other guys will need to catch up on.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shit, it just occurred to me that you could play the WiiU without a TV, albeit with a bit of limited functionality.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shit, it just occurred to me that you could play the WiiU without a TV, albeit with a bit of limited functionality.

Which means you could use it AS a tv, provided NetFlix and others hop on board as they should.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'm sure you could play some games without a TV at all, but there will still probably be small bits you need the screen for with most things.

That whole, "I'll play this game while you watch something else" probably ends as soon as you exit that game. Is the dashboard/console menu on the controller screen?
    Taramoor wrote: »

Which means you could use it AS a tv, provided NetFlix and others hop on board as they should.

Do we know anything about the speakers on the controller? The dollar store crap inside the Wiimote isn't going to cut it.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

I'm sure you could play some games without a TV at all, but there will still probably be small bits you need the screen for with most things.

That whole, "I'll play this game while you watch something else" probably ends as soon as you exit that game. Is the dashboard/console menu on the controller screen?

They've stated in the conference that it was fully capable of playing games without the TV.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

You should be able to play everything not requiring both screens. The controller seems to act as a mini-OnLive-esque system, with the console doing all the work and sending it to the controller.

Of course this also means that, much like the 3DS, the system will take a performance hit if outputting HD content to both screens. But that's something devs can plan for.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's like having On-Live in your living room!

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Do we know anything about the speakers on the controller? The dollar store crap inside the Wiimote isn't going to cut it.
    The controller has a headphone jack just in case.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I took you to be arguing that PS360 ports meant that WiiU could only have PS360 power under the hood. Also rendering power pretty much means graphics.

Yes but 'graphics' refers to everything you see on screen. Which can greatly effect gameplay.

Example: With more processing horsepower, you can draw detail at much further distances at a steady framerate. This means your game levels can simply be larger. Which impacts movement speed, content design and art style. It's a trickle down effect. So having more horses under the hood doesn't simply mean the same games look nicer. It means they can be designed in totally different ways.

Example 2: In DX10 you can have volumetric fog. Cryostasis had a mission where you had to detect invisible enemies by the paths they carved in the fog around you. You simply cannot play that mission in DX9. It won't just look worse, it breaks the gameplay elements because they are intrinsically tied to the visuals.

I'm not saying the WiiU is going to be on par with the PS360. I was saying that if current gen games are launch titles, then it isn't some crazy new technology that is going to blow the lid off gaming. It's going to be an incremental upgrade rather than a seismic shift. And seeing all this FUD about four times, ten times the memory and twice as many whatevers all over the internet is silly.

The WiiU is going to be slightly less powerful than my PC right now. No ifs or buts.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Not sure about the speakers, but there's a headphone jack.

EDIT: Beat.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Masume wrote: »

They've stated in the conference that it was fully capable of playing games without the TV.

I know, but you need to really think a little more critically.

"You can play games without a TV!"

does not mean

"You don't need a TV at all when using your WiiU!"

Most games will likely need the television. Whether or not you need a television for menu navigation/setup/etc. is something else entirely.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They were very keen to stress that this isn't a portable, standalone device. The controller is not the console.

So I don't expect you to be able to run it without a TV.

And I also don't expect you can simply walk around the house with it.

They said it couldn't leave the room. The range of the streaming must be quite short.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Yes but 'graphics' refers to everything you see on screen. Which can greatly effect gameplay.

Example: With more processing horsepower, you can draw detail at much further distances at a steady framerate. This means your game levels can simply be larger. Which impacts movement speed, content design and art style. It's a trickle down effect. So having more horses under the hood doesn't simply mean the same games look nicer. It means they can be designed in totally different ways.

Example 2: In DX10 you can have volumetric fog. Cryostasis had a mission where you had to detect invisible enemies by the paths they carved in the fog around you. You simply cannot play that mission in DX9. It won't just look worse, it breaks the gameplay elements because they are intrinsically tied to the visuals.

I'm not saying the WiiU is going to be on par with the PS360. I was saying that if current gen games are launch titles, then it isn't some crazy new technology that is going to blow the lid off gaming. It's going to be an incremental upgrade rather than a seismic shift. And seeing all this FUD about four times, ten times the memory and twice as many whatevers all over the internet is silly.

The WiiU is going to be slightly less powerful than my PC right now. No ifs or buts.

And that's fine, because developers utilize console hardware far more effectively than any PC hardware today. Look at the specs of the 360 and then look at the visuals of the newest games. You could have built a PC with the 360's specs years ago, but you wouldn't have been able to play anything nearly as advanced looking as we're seeing today.

The fact of the matter is that from what we've seen, leaked spec sheets, everyone is claiming multi core processing. That doesn't mean dual core. And RAM isn't really an issue, because again, look at what the 360 achieves with such little power.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

does not mean

Most games will likely need the television. Whether or not you need a television for menu navigation/setup/etc. is something else entirely.

From what they've stated *all* the actual images/graphics etc is done on the Wii U, all it's doing is sending the info wirelessly to the controller screen.

IE the controller turns into a small TV screen, nothing is changed horsepower wise since the controller doesn't actually do anything other than recieve the signal

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited June 2011

does not mean

From what they've stated *all* the actual images/graphics etc is done on the Wii U, all it's doing is sending the info wirelessly to the controller screen.

IE the controller turns into a small TV screen

I understand that, but that doesn't mean all game developers will want you to play their masterpiece on a tiny, HD-disabled screen instead of your 50" behemoth, as they intended.

You really think you'll be able to play Darksiders 2 with just the controller?

Edit: and regarding your edit, I imagine the processing power of sending/converting the signal over to the controller does take up processing power. I wouldn't even be surprised if the console still processed the image for the television, even if the television wasn't on.

Figgy on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

does not mean

I'm actually still not sure what you're getting at here. It looks like the system just wirelessly streams whatever it would be outputting to a television onto the controller screen. I don't know why that wouldn't include setup screens or whatever.

Now, if an individual game requires both a television and the screen simultaneously for gameplay, then no, you probably can't play while watching a movie or something. But that pretty much goes without saying. None of the actual games announced looked like they absolutely required two screens to be functional, but then again they're mostly ports at this point.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2011

does not mean

I understand that, but that doesn't mean all game developers will want you to play their masterpiece on a tiny, HD-disabled screen instead of your 50" behemoth, as they intended.

Yes, I do. It probably just downscales it on the Wii U when transmitting, unless the developers need to develop something specific to facilitate that. Since they obviously can't clarify either way, it's too early to go with much else. It might be something that only Ninty really works, but I think their in house games will certainly be able to.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So how long until Epic announce that the Unreal engine won't work on WiiU either? :P

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes

Well you won't. Because the controller has no hardware inside, other than a receiver and a screen.

You will, at minimum, have to boot up the console using a TV, then switch the TV off to continue play on the controller.

Reggie was quite explicit on this. You can't operate everything from boot up using just the controller and no TV.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I assume voice chat will handled from the controller mic and any set of headphones?

Algertman on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    plufim wrote: »
    So how long until Epic announce that the Unreal engine won't work on WiiU either? :P

Epic is graphics. That's it. Nintendo never gave them what they needed, and they never care to do extra legwork for it. I doubt that will be a problem this time, as the WU will at least equal the current gen HD systems.

Plus, Batman: AC is already WU bound.
    Well you won't. Because the controller has no hardware inside, other than a receiver and a screen.

You will, at minimum, have to boot up the console using a TV, then switch the TV off to continue play on the controller.

Reggie was quite explicit on this. You can't operate everything from boot up using just the controller and no TV.

I think we're starting to get into semantics here. The bolded statement is correct, but the Darksider 2 statement only mentioned playing the game, so you can understandably say yes to that.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if the signal would be able to reach to my bathroom. I want to play console games on the shitter!

forty on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    By the way, I know Metro: Last Light is multiplatform, but if they can get it running to PC-levels we have this to look forward to.

If not, it'll probably be closer to the muddy, crappy, low-fps mess that was 2033 running on the 360. Here's hoping.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd be dead afraid to swing around the WiiU controller in the room, the thing looks like it will easily cost [strike]$120+[/strike] $200+ per unit and break any second D:

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every new console announcement from the last few gens has given us a bunch of - wow, look at the shiny - video moments.

The Wii on U has merely given us a couple of - well, that's about adequate, looks almost like a 360 game - moments.

That really does not impress me, however much people want to guesstimate performance based on spec sheets, this is supposed to be the first console from the next gen, not trying to keep it's head above water alongside 5+ year old tech.

First time I saw the Mega Drive blew me away. First time I saw Mario 64 blew my mind. Dreamcast looked amazing at launch. 360 rocked my socks. This? Looks prime and ready to be outclassed, and it isn't even released yet.

MS or Sony could stomp all over this, from a technical standpoint, whenever they feel like it, so sadly, I'll wait for the REAL next gen to "start when they say it does". D:

I was really hoping for another Mario 64 moment.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    plufim wrote: »

Arkham City is Unreal 3.

Edit: My thoughts.

About 50% what I expected, 50% surprises.

I was probably always going to get it, but the thought of Nintendo games in 1080p, and a good selection of 3rd party stuff was probably enough for me.

I'll be paying close attention.

Controller seems brilliant to me. Hope it's not too expensive. £200ish would be a good price.

LewieP on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Epic thing was a joke, I know about Batman. I should have probably let it be, but ah well..... <_<

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

does not mean

Yes, I do. It probably just downscales it on the Wii U when transmitting, unless the developers need to develop something specific to facilitate that. Since they obviously can't clarify either way, it's too early to go with much else. It might be something that only Ninty really works, but I think their in house games will certainly be able to.

Because the difference between using a touchscreen tablet with some buttons is different than whatever functionality they're including when playing on a regular screen with the controller as well.

Anything more than a Mario game or something would be a completely different game when switching from the TV-controller combo to the controller-only. In one setting, you're using the TV as your display and the controller for extras, and in the other setting you're using the controller for everything.

Aside from the fact that the controller can't output HD, you're also looking at developers not wanting to redesign their UI/mechanics so that you can switch to play only on the controller.

I don't know how more clear they could have been in that press conference on that note: this is not a hand held console. It's not designed to be used primarily without a TV. Major titles like Darksiders 2 and Ghost Recon (or whatever that was they showed) won't have an option to play controller-only.

Figgy on
  • Options
    MattnyxMattnyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every new console announcement from the last few gens has given us a bunch of - wow, look at the shiny - video moments.

The Wii on U has merely given us a couple of - well, that's about adequate, looks almost like a 360 game - moments.

That really does not impress me, however much people want to guesstimate performance based on spec sheets, this is supposed to be the first console from the next gen, not trying to keep it's head above water alongside 5+ year old tech.

First time I saw the Mega Drive blew me away. First time I saw Mario 64 blew my mind. Dreamcast looked amazing at launch. 360 rocked my socks. This? Looks prime and ready to be outclassed, and it isn't even released yet.

MS or Sony could stomp all over this, from a technical standpoint, whenever they feel like it, so sadly, I'll wait for the REAL next gen to "start when they say it does". D:

I was really hoping for another Mario 64 moment.

Considering that outside of the Zelda Tech demo, no games shown were made for the WiiU, it's a bit early to say that the system hasn't had a "wow" moment yet. There's only been talk about what it will output(1080p ect.), with no actual examples of real games to show as such.

Mattnyx on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Enough about this. We must now begin to worry about the greatest peril that faces those of us who will adopt the WU as early as possible.

Seriously, I'm concerned here.

Will I need to buy all my VC stuff all over again?

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's Nintendo. Their entire fucking business is founded on the idea of selling you the same games over and over.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Enough about this. We must now begin to worry about the greatest peril that faces those of us who will adopt the WU as early as possible.

Seriously, I'm concerned here.

Will I need to buy all my VC stuff all over again?

I can't imagine that would be the case. That would definitely be a tipping point over to "Fuck you, Nintendo" for a lot of people.

Oh? You spent hundreds of dollars buying software from us on an inferior (comparatively) digital delivery system? Well, here's another point for ya, still tied to the console itself. Sorry.

Figgy on