As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Health Insurance

Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
How do I get health insurance in minnesota? Not sure what the best option is, I really have no idea. Never had to do this before, don't know anything about it.

Fizban140 on

• Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Context! (this is like the third time I've done this tonight. Seriously. Is something wrong with me? Or is it just one of those things?)

How old are you? Single person individual plan, or are you asking how to select an employer provided plan? Are you working and relatively well off, or are you asking about government subsidized plans? Are you completely busted and looking for advice on applying for Medicaid? Do you have ongoing health issues? Dependents?

Context is King, my friend.

jamesra on
    "Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have very little income, looking for a plan just for myself, most likely through the State or federal, 24 male going to college just got out of air force 8 months ago.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you're entering school full-time you could see if the college offers a health insurance plan of their own and consider that as a possible option.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My school does not offer health insurance.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Google "Minnesotacare"

It'll take you three months to get on the plan.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought veterans had free healthcare for life through the VA hospital? Isn't that one of the perks of having been a service member?

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I thought veterans had free healthcare for life through the VA hospital? Isn't that one of the perks of having been a service member?

I believe you have to have been a service member for awhile for that to happen, right?

Mim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No, just active service from what it seems...
    You may be eligible! Below are some of the basic factors that go into determining your eligibility for health benefits:

Eligibility for most veterans’ health care benefits is based solely on active military service in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard (or Merchant Marines during WW II), and discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
    Reservists and National Guard members who were called to active duty by a Federal Executive Order may qualify for VA health care benefits. Returning service members, including Reservists and National Guard members who served on active duty in a theater of combat operations have special eligibility for hospital care, medical services, and nursing home care for five years following discharge from active duty.
    Health Care eligibility is not just for those who served in combat.
    Other groups may be eligible for some health benefits.
    Veteran’s health care is not just for service-connected injuries or medical conditions.

Taken from http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You have to serve 20 years or qualify for disability while in.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Minnesotacare is your best bet, I'd think. :D

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Man that's a bummer.

Liquid Hellz on
    What I do for a living:
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I bet there's still a number of large insurance companies who either A) discount you for your service or B) actively cater to ex-soldiers. Worst case, go with one of the corporate monoliths and a la carte the coverage you feel you need until you can get something a little more cadillac-y. My current position doesn't offer me proper insurance, and I am not taking enough classes to qualify for the local uni's policy, so I ended up just getting some basic collision/cancer coverage from Blue Cross Blue Shield. It covers catastrophe cheaply (106/month) until I get something more comprehensive.

This, of course, depends on your age and existing conditions, but there's always a way to get a least a little something. You never see that bus. :P

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe check out USAA? They cater specifically to those who've served (or are serving) in the military.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Wow $106 a month is very expensive, I can afford but I almost consider health insurance a luxury right now.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    $106/month is pretty cheap health insurance

Cauld on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Man that is disheartening. What the hell do I do with health insurance to make it worth it? That is a lot of money I am not spending right now.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Go get regular checkups? Don't be worried that falling down getting into the shower will bankrupt you? $106 is terribly cheap for health insurance, even hit-by-a-bus insurance.

Weigh that $106 a month against the thousands of dollars a simple hospital visit of any kind will cost you, plus the stress of trying to decide if you're sick enough to go see a doctor. Trust me, I've been there, you do not want to have to make that choice.

zilo on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Man that is disheartening. What the hell do I do with health insurance to make it worth it? That is a lot of money I am not spending right now.

You avoid having pre-existing conditions excluded from coverage. If you don't have coverage, get high blood pressure or something like that and then try to get insurance, anything and everything that the insurance companies would think could have possibly been caused by the high blood pressure will NOT be covered under the new policy.

Kakodaimonos on