Options

Bastion-Action RPG of the Year

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So I'm coming up on the end I think? Probably finish this off tonight. Last night my girlfriend watched me finish off a level before we made blueberry muffins. She's not a gamer at all, but she really appreciated the art style, the music, and couldn't stop talking about how awesome the narrator was.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I keep feeling like the game needs a jump button. still enjoying the hell out of it, i just keep wanting to reach for one.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I can tell you I've begun abusing the hell out of the roll button. Especially when I'm playing the "Who knows where" levels with the musket. Have to get all the guys lined up just right.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I prefer the fang repeater. I got that puppy maxed out and its pretty deadly.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Using Evasive Roll is the only way you should be moving in and around enemies. It's an attack.
    Edit: Can you run through the pipe smoke mission for infinity coins?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The combat in this game is a lot deeper than I thought it would be. You can brute force your way through most things, but there's a lot of finesse to be had in timing and frames.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    The combat in this game is a lot deeper than I thought it would be. You can brute force your way through most things, but there's a lot of finesse to be had in timing and frames.

Running through the Bullhead Shield Proving Grounds really opens up how timing during combat is huge.

• Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    I think it's a great game, and the fact that it's only $15 is even better.

This was actually my first XBLA purchase in a long time, and I'm glad I picked it up.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Spoiler for huge.
    happy_friday_from_bastion_by_jenzee-d3f6mje.png

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote:
    I keep feeling like the game needs a jump button. still enjoying the hell out of it, i just keep wanting to reach for one.
    this made me laugh
    late game spoilers
    i really like how they add the jump function just for that one level. it totally threw me for a loop, like "oh NOW i can jump"
    this game is just so damn good
    the vocal song is so much better once you beat all the Who Knows Wheres

• Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    Just beat it for the first time - so good!

Now to dive back in for new game +

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Songs from Bastion (is an actual spoiler for those who haven't played it, since they are used in the game's story):

• Options
    aaaaaand 200/200 get. well, not gonna lie, the hardest part of all that was the dual pistol challenge. otherwise the achievements were a lot less hard that i initially thought.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I still haven't gotten the pistol challenge, or the shield... I know what I'm doing wrong, just haven't gotten my muscles to work with me enough.

Also, my wife hates the narrator. She's not human.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    after playing this a bit longer, i am enjoying it much more

i think it's about finding the weapons that you enjoy

• Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    Anybody have some tips for the Cael Hammer proving ground? Can't seem to hit things fast enough to get first prize.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    after playing this a bit longer, i am enjoying it much more

i think it's about finding the weapons that you enjoy

This. I love the Machete and the rifle (the bow is a close third), but before I found a good combo I was kind of in "meh, it's ok" range.
    fortis wrote:
    Anybody have some tips for the Cael Hammer proving ground? Can't seem to hit things fast enough to get first prize.

Roll then attack. Roll then attack. You will roll through a good chunk of the items out there, and the attack takes care of the heavy stuff (rocks, wagons, walls). Edit: Also, if you miss an item in an area, just keep moving. It's not worth the half-second it takes to run back for the item. I had to keep myself from doing that, and that's what kept me in the restarts. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    I think my strategy of "Turn Every Idol On ASAP" is going to need some re-working. Especially on this railroad level. Holy crap, once you get the shard the shit hits the fan and there's nowhere to go.

I'll try some more weapons first.

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    I just finished the game. Wow, what a great game. I'm just trying to decide whether to immediately go into a New Game Plus, or whether to go back near the end
    and try abandoning Zulf and choosing Evacuation to see if anything's significantly different with those choices

Also, the IGN review hints that a New Game Plus playthrough is self-aware, and I wonder if that fact has to do with (more ending spoilers from the first playthrough)
    the Restoration being followed by history repeating itself and the Calamity happening again, necessitating the Kid go through all the same motions

either way I'll know soon because I'm definitely doing NG+

• Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    So am I the only one who thinks the kid might be
    (end game spoilers)
    the god Olak? Stuck forever in the same time. Some of the art has Olak's pinwheel next to the kid as well. This theory would make more sense if they didn't give you a choice to the ending of the game, but it's still a possibility.

• Options
    weird you said that, but it makes more sense than my theory.
    the whole game i thought the kid was going to turn out to be rucks, the narrator. they have the same hair, and red kerchief. it'd make sense the kid would try to build something to undo the calamity, and if he was the kid it would make sense why he's narrating from the start... but i don't really have any solid reasoning.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yesss, now my mortar is fully upgraded, to compliment my other favourite weapon, the musket. There is a large sense of satisfaction from that.

I was missing the last piece of material from the observatory challenge, but with an upgraded firing rate not a single enemy touched those objectives.

• Options
    I finished the Dual Pistols Proving Grounds just after you logged off Luigi.

Edit: Using the Breaker Bow makes me feel like Robin Hood.

• Options
    SickwithJusticeSickwithJustice Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This game is awesome. Just got the rifle fully upgraded and now I'm just rolling around and sniping everything I see. Along with the Machete with full crit upgrades, it's unstoppable.

I'm also having trouble with the Cael Hammer challenge. I spent like 20 minutes on it yesterday and I always come up like two seconds short. Are there any upgrades for the hammer that help?

SickwithJustice on
  • Options
    go for max damage on the hammer, and roll through the smaller debris. the hammer one is about rolling and then attacking. you can roll through most and only attack bigger pieces.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote:

Tips?

• Options
    joshgotro wrote:

Tips?

You have to be shooting the target before it makes the whistle sounds or you can move your finger faster than me. There are ten targets so if you're at 350 or above by the fifth your in line to finish well ahead of 750.

• Options
    for the pistol proving ground I just watched the score timer and as soon as it started moving I started shooting.

• Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    I keep finishing the machete proving ground in 61 seconds.

This displeases me greatly.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    All vigils complete.

All I gotta do is the last memory event, and I can beat the game.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    langfor6 wrote:
    I keep finishing the machete proving ground in 61 seconds.

This displeases me greatly.

I kept doing the hammer challenge in 25 seconds. Why did it have to be < and not <=

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Managed to beat this and get first prize on all the challenges today.

I think this might be my favorite game so far this year.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    End spoiler
    okay so is rucks the guy who invented the calamity technology as well as the bastion itself?

I was half thinking it would turn out that the world reset and you stayed behind and became rucks yourself. Although I didn't pick the reset option so who knows.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    End spoiler
    okay so is rucks the guy who invented the calamity technology as well as the bastion itself?

I was half thinking it would turn out that the world reset and you stayed behind and became rucks yourself. Although I didn't pick the reset option so who knows.

Nope
    He only says he was asked about building something to wipe out the Ura, not that he actually did.

Zia's father is the one who invented the calamity technology, which is why he knew to tell her to hide.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    At the first shard:
    Things got kinda dark there. I am starting to wonder about how this is going to end. I suspect this game is playing the "unreliable narrator" angle.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Just finished it:
    I chose to carry Zulf, taking him through all the Ura warriors with that song playing was such a powerful moment. But since it whites out at the end I take it he didn't make it?

Also, the decision between restore or evacuate was a tough one that was built up well in the last stage, but I went for restore, to save the world with the hope that things would be better. It was nice to hear Zia's voice, too.

Bottom line, definitely one of my favourite games of the year.

• Options
    ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just finished it:
    I chose to carry Zulf, taking him through all the Ura warriors with that song playing was such a powerful moment. But since it whites out at the end I take it he didn't make it?

Also, the decision between restore or evacuate was a tough one that was built up well in the last stage, but I went for restore, to save the world with the hope that things would be better. It was nice to hear Zia's voice, too.

Bottom line, definitely one of my favourite games of the year.

Zulf's fate:
    Zulf survives. If you choose to evacuate it shows him cutting up vegetables with a squirt watching.

Ending:
    Those ending drawings were just so powerful, Zia sitting with her head hanging as she sadly plays her harp and the kid working the wall when you choose to restore the world made me want to just let every else stay dead. Their memories just made me feel so attached to those characters.

Arkyris on
  • Options
    i think most everyone prefers the evacuation ending. it's a much happier ending. everyone boards the bastion and sets forth on the new world, and that final shot of the crew gave me instant goosebumps.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I really like Bastion. The automated equipping of new weapons and skills is a bit annoying, and I hate the Proving for the last weapon, but otherwise I enjoy almost everything about this game.

Oh, and the Narrator is great. F the haters.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    I really like Bastion. The automated equipping of new weapons and skills is a bit annoying, and I hate the Proving for the last weapon, but otherwise I enjoy almost everything about this game.

Oh, and the Narrator is great. F the haters.

It is the only Proving I didn't bother to at least get through the Third Place prize. So very frustrating.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull