As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet providers D:

TKidTKid Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

I'm considering switching internet providers. Currently I have Verizon DSL, but I'm paying 45 dollars a month for 3MBPS. Speed tests indicate that I am getting pretty close to the bandwidth that I'm paying for and I've really had no complaints about the service or company so far. I'd like a bit more speed for the price, but hey.

However, I saw an ad for Time Warner Cable that was offering 7MBPS for 29 dollars a month. Obviously this appeals to me because it's more than twice the speed for nearly half the cost.

Internet stability and speed are both important to me, as I work from home. Money's kind of tight right now due to some recent changes with my living situation, so anywhere I can cut costs is going to be awesome.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Time Warner as a company as well as the services they offer, so I'm apprehensive to make the switch. It would be sweet if you guys could offer a bit of advice if you've had experience with TWC. This is a big decision for me and making the wrong would could negatively impact my livelihood for a bit.

TKid on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've used Time Warner for the past 9 years. Their service is pretty good, it's pretty rare that we have any downtime, and their customer service is decent. This may vary depending on area. The only thing I don't like about them is they've tried in the past to institute bandwidth caps and I have a feeling they're not through trying.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That $29/month is probably an introductory rate, so watch out for that.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It might also be when bundled with cable TV.

Best bet is to ask people who live near you. During my WoW playing days I'd have guildies across the country rant out how shit X ISP is, while people from a different region would love the shit out of them.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    TKidTKid Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    That $29/month is probably an introductory rate, so watch out for that.

I've called and confirmed it is an introductory price for 1 year.
    It might also be when bundled with cable TV.

Best bet is to ask people who live near you. During my WoW playing days I'd have guildies across the country rant out how shit X ISP is, while people from a different region would love the shit out of them.

I've called and made sure it isn't bundled with anything. It's just the plane jane internet package.

I'm thinking you're pretty much got the long and short of it, though. My best bet is probably people in the area.

TKid on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have Time Warner in Manhattan and it's...not very good. At one point I had weekly service outages, for no reason whatsoever. Customer service would schedule a technician appointment only to have the internet miraculously restore itself a day later.
    Half the time they would redirect me around in a circle; kinda sounded like they wanted to get rid of me.

minirhyder on
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Stay away from at&t. I was with them for a whole month and a half before I couldn't take it anymore. The connection was fine, but their billing was one big cluster#@(%;. Sign up here for high-speed internet, $30/month for 12 months! Then let me slap on a $150 installation fee, $20 I feel like it fee and loose your contract and charge you $45 a month instead. Oh, btw, even if we do agree to waive these previously undisclosed charges and put you back on the $30/12 month contract it will take our billing department 3 months to fix it. Happy surfing!.

I've had mostly good experiences with Time Warner. Connection has been spotty at times, but I have never been jerked around by customer support. In fact they have always been very eager to fix any problem.

Siska on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    minirhyder wrote: »
    I have Time Warner in Manhattan and it's...not very good. At one point I had weekly service outages, for no reason whatsoever. Customer service would schedule a technician appointment only to have the internet miraculously restore itself a day later.
    Half the time they would redirect me around in a circle; kinda sounded like they wanted to get rid of me.

I've had similar experiences with their customer service. I'm not sure my actual outages were the fault of the service so much as New York sucks, but hey. Basically I was getting outages more and more often, especially when it rained, and I would call and they'd do their silly remote "test the line" thing and tell me it was fine. Sent a dude out with a new modem and to test the lines in my apartment. Still problems after he left. Finally they sent a second dude who went up on the roof of my building and replaced some kind of connection from the outside wiring into my building, which did indeed fix the issue. He told me TW had used some jank part a few years ago and it was a known issue but they were only replacing them as people complained. If only the first tech had known about that.

riz on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is Fios or Uverse available in your area? I'd go with either one of those over pretty much anything else.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had Verizon DSL for years, then my local cable company offered me 24mbps for $55/month, so I switched over and will NEVER go back to DSL. I can hit downloads of 3.6 megabytes a second, that's insane compared to my old 320 kilobytes a second.

Lankysean on