As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am dumb about blisters

UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
No pics or anything so don't worry. I've just come home from badminton and I knew that I had a blister that had broke. The upper layer of skin had partially torn away and only half of the quarter sized blister still had skin over it. So I cut that upper layer off. Doing a little googling tells me that wasn't a very good idea but what's done is done. How do I go about protecting it now? I'm off to bed soon so what should I do? Just leave it bare and let the raw skin hang out on its own or cover it with a band aid? Should I coat it with something? Vaseline? I don't think we have any anti-biotic cream.

I'm leaning towards just leaving it alone. I figure it needs to breathe so a band-aid would be a poor choice but as you can tell, I'm not batting real well on this.

Underdog on

• Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bandaid and antibiotic cream if you have it. Leaving an open wound uncovered is generally a poor idea.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    IANAD, but put a bandaid on it, skin regenerates faster when it is protected from the outside environment
    do not use butter or vaseline, you don't want harsh fats in your blister

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ok! Glad I made this. Gonna band aid it up and buy some anti-bio cream tomorrow.

Underdog on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gauze and tape is better. Definitely use the antibiotic cream. I used to get one of these every week from the monkey bars in elementary school.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Get a bandaid big enough to completely cover the blister (if it's actually the size of a quarter you'll want a big butterfly bandaid, or gauze/athletic tape like josh says.) The skin being removed means it'll take a little longer to heal and might be a little more painful, since there's nothing between the bandaid and the open blister now.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Underdog wrote: »
    No pics or anything so don't worry. I've just come home from badminton and I knew that I had a blister that had broke. The upper layer of skin had partially torn away and only half of the quarter sized blister still had skin over it. So I cut that upper layer off. Doing a little googling tells me that wasn't a very good idea but what's done is done. How do I go about protecting it now? I'm off to bed soon so what should I do? Just leave it bare and let the raw skin hang out on its own or cover it with a band aid? Should I coat it with something? Vaseline? I don't think we have any anti-biotic cream.

I'm leaning towards just leaving it alone. I figure it needs to breathe so a band-aid would be a poor choice but as you can tell, I'm not batting real well on this.

When I get the blisters that tear off, I get the Nexcare Liquid Bandage stuff and use that to cover up the raw skin. Works great, but it kinda stings when you put it on. And if it's a big tear, you may need to cover it with a couple of coats.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Make sure you let it breathe at night though.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Demerdar wrote: »

What, like all night? Or do you just mean to make sure it isn't bandaged 24/7?

I saw the liquid bandaid stuff while I was at Shoppers but having never tried them, I went with the giant square ones. Maybe next time.

Underdog on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011

Why the hell would this be necessary? The skin is going to get all the nutrients it needs from the capillary beds. Exposing it to oxygen and bacteria and contaminants isn't going to help.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Why the hell would this be necessary? The skin is going to get all the nutrients it needs from the capillary beds. Exposing it to oxygen and bacteria and contaminants isn't going to help.

Yeah, no. I have never heard of letting a wound "breathe". Keep it bandaged until it's reasonably healed over.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Yeah, no. I have never heard of letting a wound "breathe". Keep it bandaged until it's reasonably healed over.

Should I wash it before applying a new band aid? Like gently with some soap? Or just take the old one off, apply anti-biotics and slap the new one on?

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Underdog wrote: »

Should I wash it before applying a new band aid? Like gently with some soap? Or just take the old one off, apply anti-biotics and slap the new one on?

Cleaning a wound is never a bad idea, but make sure it's dry before you apply your antibiotic and bandages.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Always use new bandages when you take them off, and when it is off, let it dry off a little

T. J. Nutty Nub on