As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

T minus 4 weeks till babby

KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi guys!

Not sure how common knowledge this is, but I've been pregnant for the past oh, eight months and we are finally heading into the home stretch with Operation Fuck Up Our Lives in the Best Way Possible.

So now that the nursery is done, the birthing center attached hospital is preregistered at, and birthing/CPR/breastfeeding classes are all taken, I would like to ask you for some Help and Advice that any of you have about delivery and living and caring for a human n00b. I know we are heading toward amazing and difficult times so I want to gather as many tips and tricks as possible before the big day comes!

Killgrimage on

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Learn to power nap and fall asleep quickly.

lunchbox12682 on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, congratulations! I know its scary, but it is the single most amazing thing in your life that is going to happen (unless you have more than one child, then each one is amazing). If you haven't got a birth plan, work it out now, but don't worry, it may not go as you plan it to, babies come when and how they want to.
    Practical stuff:
    You don't need most of what you're told you will need for a new baby, just nappies/diapers of some description, some clothes and bedding. If you're planning to breastfeed, cos that's what's best for you both, and the easiest practically once you have the hang of it, you'll need a couple of nursing bras, and some absorbent pads, cos you might leak, and some Kamillosan cream for sore nipples and nappy rash, its brilliant! They don't stay sore for long. If you plan to use a dummy/pacifyer, never, ever put it in your mouth to clean it - you may pass on oral thrush to your baby. If you've not got one, buy a sling, that way, baby can come with you wherever you go.
    Sleep when your baby sleeps, don't do chores, they can wait. If anyone asks you if you need help, give them chores to do. If they didn't mean it, they won't offer again, if they did, they will. Make and freeze some meals now, so that in the first few weeks you have food ready. Cook double quantities so you can freeze meals for you both.
    Buy maternity sanitary towels/napkins, don't use tampons til you've had your post natal check up.
    I'll keep thinking. PM me if you want to.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You and your partner might want to do something I was told: Apologise to each other in advance for when lack of sleep drives you to tell the other that you wish you'd never met them/they were dead/they should die in a fire. It's nice to get it out of the way and relax into the sleep deprivation.

As for feeding, breast-feeding was great for us, but rubbish for my sister, so perhaps the best idea is to do whatever suits you and not worry about anyone else's opinions. We actually ended up mixed-feeding after a while, and people on the net etc seemed to think that was basically going to create Damien, but it was fine.

Oh, maybe hold off on the pacifier - my daughter never got offered one and never really wanted one, which meant we could avoid the stress of getting the kid to stop using it. I just saw a 3-year-old boy with a dummy in his mouth today, so that's a bullet I'm glad to have accidentally dodged.

Lastly, my wife had a terrible pregnancy and we had all sorts of (serious and not) problems, but it was still totally worth it and I burn with pride every time my daughter does anything whatsoever.

Hell, she just farted a few minutes ago and I was really proud of how eye-wateringly smelly it was.

Parenthood is great.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I loved the "What to Expect" series. Also just be patient with yourself.
    Neat things to remember or consider:
    1. Tummy time! Every day let your n00b play on his or her tummy for a bit. Five minutes per month in age is the earmark. (5 minutes per day at 0-1 mos, 10 minutes per day at 1-2mos, etc. Until he or she is crawling around and you cannot stop them. :-p)
    2. Yes you can still go out. Please hire a baby sitter once every two weeks if you can and get out of the house. Wanting to be away from the infant every now and again so that you can be yourself and do grown up things does not make you a bad parent, it makes you human.
    3. Your baby loves you. No matter what. Even if you can't get nursing or bottle feeding down, even if you forget to put on two socks, even if the jumper is on upside down. Chillax this is all going to work itself out.
    4. However, your baby does not care even a little that you have been pregnant for 9 months. Your baby will not care that you want to do pilates to get back into shape. He or she will not care that you just want to shut your eyes for a bit, your baby is pretty sure that the world revolves around his or her whims... so be aware of that. My favorite trick was to nap with my daughter on top of my stomach. She felt comfy and cozy and I got a few moments of rest.

GalFriday on
    @Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've got 10 month old kids at home, and these are some of the things I've learned.
    1) Make time for you and your husband. If you happen to live near a set of grandparents they are usually eager babysitters so that you can go out, grab dinner, and go to the movies. It's amazing how much time like that means when it's special because it's limited. I know that Green Hornet was in no way a great film, but I loved the night out I got last time my mother-in-law was in town.
    2) The house can be cleaned later. If you're tired and the kiddo is asleep grab a nap while you can. Seriously, laundry can wait.
    3) Don't feel bad when you don't take somebody's advice. You're the parent here, and you're going to do what you and your husband decide is best for your child.

I'm sure there's more. If you have any specific questions that might spark people's memory about how they coped with a baby.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh me oh my.... SO MUCH ADVICE!

Let me see if I can pare it down some, to the first couple of months. Things change constantly for newborns, so expect a lot of this advice to become useless as they approach a year.

Firstly, congrats on using a birthing center. I wonder if you're doing this natural, no drugs? If so, double props to you. My wife did it with all three, and requested all the nurse/doctor related things happen in the room with us... none of our kids ever left our sight. It was cool and while the nurses might balk, if your partner is firm there's really nothing they can do to force you.

I wonder if your'e staying at home for some time with the new person? If not, much of this advice will be inapplicable - I have no idea how to orient your life to slot a baby into your job schedule, particularly in the first 1-3 months. My main advice on that front would be to take a 3-month leave of absence, and be prepared to want to quit your paying job and raise your child. If you can afford it, do it. There's a lot of pressure on women to "not let the side down" by choosing motherhood as your full-time job. If that feels like the thing for you, don't get pressured into heading back to work.
    • Pregnancy is not a disease or a medical condition. Ask your partner to defend your decisions regarding how the birth is going to go, who's going to be in the room, how much intervention you're willing to accept, and then let him do it while you focus on having a baby. Recognize that you are going to be very bad at decision-making during the birth. Let your partner handle that stuff, including defending your decisions regarding epidurals, inducement, c-section, walking around vs. laying down, etc etc. The hospital staff is there to help in case something goes wrong - they aren't there to force you into a schedule they're happy with.
    • Recognize that interventions escalate. A pitosin drip might speed up labor but it might speed it up before you're ready, making your contractions ineffective and exhausting you too soon, which will lead to a c-section. This sequence is surprisingly common - I'd suggest you avoid it if you can, but that's really a decision you and your partner need to make. Whatever you decide, be sure your partner knows beforehand you're behind him as he kicks the hospital staff's ass. You probably won't be in much of a state to tell him that while it's happening.
    • Get up and walk between your contractions, until you literally can't do it anymore. Walking helps the baby's head descend and will shorten your labor.
    • Nurse the child immediately, if you can. At least try inside the first 20 minutes. Inside the first 5 minutes if you're both healthy!
    • Sleep whenever you can. You basically aren't going to get any normal sleep for a while, so treasure what you can get, whenever you can get it.
    • When friends and relatives ask you what thye can do, tell them to cook your family a meal, and bring it over, and then leave. This is another thing where your partner can be invaluable... basically running blocks between you and well-wishers who want to come over and wake the baby so they can coo over it and leave when she starts screaming at being woken up, or look sideways at you when you start breastfeeding in front of them like you're somehow violating propriety by feeding your child in your own house. Get your partner to screen calls, shoo relatives away after short visits, and tell people in polite and cheerful ways that the best way they can help is to do some work in the house you no longer have time or energy for, then move on.
    • I would disagree with advice to try and go out once every couple of weeks. In the first month or so, you might be better off recognizing that your life has been upended and embracing the new reality. There's every chance you won't be able to keep that routine up in the future - I'd suggest you grab your breaks when you can and not expect them to be more than a couple hours. Many breastfed babies don't drink well from a bottle, and vice versa.
    • If you're having trouble producing enough milk to feed your kiddo, drink half of one beer. Yes, it works to boost milk production (a lot). No, it's not harmful at that level. If you're producing too much, practice expressing it and storing it for those times when you do get out.
    • Even if you do go the bottle route, dedicate yourself to exclusive breastmilk feeding for the first 3 months. No matter what you may be told, there absolutely is nothing better on the earth for an infant than his mother's milk, and except in actual medical cases, there's no need to augment that with any other substance for the first 4-6 months. Lots of people will tell you different, particularly if your kiddo ends up with colic, or if they don't sleep, or if they sleep too much, or [insert behavior different from the speaker's experience] ignore that. If your doctor tells you different, inform yourself and listen to his advice.
    • Laundry - it is your new hobby! Shout gets stains out, srsly.
    • Get a baby sling like this one or other means to carry the kiddo around with you and free up one/both of your arms. Also, that one in the link lets you feed discreetly wherever you are.
    • Feed on your baby's schedule, including at night. I've heard some strange things about "co-sleeping", i.e. bring baby into bed with you so you can feed her without really waking up, suggesting that this is dangerous. Our own experience is that you'll be so hyper-aware of the baby that even when you're sleeping there's no risk of anything bad happening. Be sensible though... infants can't get giant fluffy down comforters off their faces.
    • Eventually the baby will settle into a routine that you may or may not like... you can try to shift it around but your little new person is a unique little new person. Set sleeping schedules failed miserably with our first child, and the second and third took to the idea instantly. You really might not get much choice in the matter...
    • Whatever you try, do it with consistency. If you try a sleep and feeding schedule, stick to the schedule like your lives depend on it. If you feed him on demand, then expect to feed him on demand wherever you might end up being, and don't get upset when he starts screaming because you didn't listen to his request.
    • Get a car seat. Take that shit seriously, please. Don't deviate from it, ever, no matter what. Pull over if you need to, to calm him down, but never ever ever break the "car is moving, you're in a seat" rule. It'll be your constant refrain for the next 10 years or so, and it'll save the kiddo's life.
    • Driving sucks with an infant. Avoid it whenever you can - tell the relatives to visit you. If they don't understand, get a webcam, and have your partner politely and cheerfully explain that their momentary enjoyment is not worth your hours of misery.
    • Infants see black, white, and red colors the best. Aim for high-contrast toys like that, and she'll like them more. Pastels will be mostly boring for months or even years.
    • Read or sing to her. Get your partner to do the same thing. Read the phone book, it doesn't matter... your voice will be soothing.
    • Eye contact is awesome. Seriously. You'll be blown away by how amazing it is to just stare at his eyes!
    • More later!

spool32 on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Water Cooler. Sanitized water for formula and read to dispense hot water to sanitize nipples.

On the bottles, nipples on the bottles.
    My brother and his wife used ours a lot and while it was the only source of pure water here in Africa, the fact that the noisy thing could be put next to their bed and shorten the trips to feed the baby was a blessing.

Be aware that they are noisy as the bubble rise up and you may want to turn the thing off at night.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited June 2011
    Speaking of noise! I'd suggest you NOT try and keep the house silent while the baby's sleeping. If you train him to need silence or super quiet while he's sleeping, he'll wake up whenever a minor sound happens...

We screwed this up with our first, and sleeping was misery for nearly a year. With the second, we threw shoes in the dryer just to make some commotion in the beginning. Leave the TV on, have a fan or the radio running, tell people to talk in normal tones. It helps loads if the baby can sleep through standard sounds of life.

spool32 on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, here's one I'm going through right now. Once you kid starts moving they're going to start falling and running into things. Pay attention and make sure they're okay, of course, but don't freak out every time they bump something. Most of the time they're okay, but if you freak out every time they'll learn to cry every time even though they didn't hurt themselves.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    Speaking of noise! I'd suggest you NOT try and keep the house silent while the baby's sleeping. If you train him to need silence or super quiet while he's sleeping, he'll wake up whenever a minor sound happens...

Yeah, I'll second this. Just act normal whether your baby is sleeping or not.

I'm going to caution against co-sleeping. There's really no reason to ever have your baby in the the bed with you, unless you're feeding it there. There's studies I can dig up if you want, but the risk of SIDS is decreased by not doing it, and most professionals recommend against it. The recommended thing for newborns is to have them sleep in the room with you in a crib or bassinet, and then move them to their own room between 6 months and 1 year. We did it at 6 months and our son is an awesome sleeper.

I'll also paraphrase Scrubs and warn you that there will be times that you want to throw your baby out of a window, and yes it's normal. Everyone says say goodbye to sleep and there's a reason for it. You will be tired and your patience will be very thin. Just try to calm down and get through it. This is why 2 parents is good. If you're feeling frustrated, just hand it off, and be ready to pick it up when your SO is feeling the same.

Sir Carcass on
    edited June 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    Oh, here's one I'm going through right now. Once you kid starts moving they're going to start falling and running into things. Pay attention and make sure they're okay, of course, but don't freak out every time they bump something. Most of the time they're okay, but if you freak out every time they'll learn to cry every time even though they didn't hurt themselves.

Quite! If you count a slow three before running to see what happened, you'll avoid reinforcing a habit of fall + cry = mom appears, rather than pain + cry = mom appears.

spool32 on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    to be clear, co-sleeping does not always equal sharing a bed.

according to my wife with a Phd in sleep research, co-sleeping is just sharing the same room
    but yes a baby should never sleep on grown up stuff, just a fitted bedsheet.

they do make attachments to go on the side of your bed if you want to be that close. when our kiddo comes in october I think we are going to do the bassinet in our room at first before moving him to his own room/crib

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Baby Swing was my sanity savor with my 2 boys.

This was my solution to playpen. I encased my entertainment unit instead of encasing my boys, that way i didn't have to rearrange anything to a higher position. Plus it was great to have while camping.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The napping thing is the biggie I would offer as well. As grown ups naps are often seen as lazy or an indulgence. If you can, sleep when the baby sleeps - dozing off occasionally can make sure you have the patience for when the baby is pushing that last nerve.

Otherwise, the best advice I can give is to relax. So many people told us our fun times were done, our money would be gone, and all those other cliches, but it really isn't that bad (or wasn't for us).

Also, I don't know what you and your wife's work is, but if you go back to work and leave her alone try to line up family help to be there for the first week or so. My mother actually stayed with us the week that I had to go back to work which was really helpful - having someone to help with lifting, run the washer/dryer/dishwasher, and some of the little stuff that would seem overwhelming on top of the new baby can really help.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited June 2011
    My oldest is 15... I think the recommendation on having a baby sleep in the bed with you has flipped no/yes/no in that time. Likewise with reducing the chance of SIDS - baby should sleep on back, sleep on side, on front, get one of these wedges, soft surface, hard surface... I don't think anyone can say for certain what causes SIDS or how to reduce the chances of it with any certainty. Most likely, all the "avoid SIDS" advice here will be reversed again by 2015.

One big reason to have your baby in bed with you: It's really awesome, and peaceful and fun, and you bond with the child relaxing skin-on-skin.

Be sensible. Don't put your baby face down on a fluffy pillow-top mattress to sleep. Don't cover her in giant comforters or big fuzzy fleece things. If you know you can't be woken by crashing cymbals or your partner ninja-kicking you in the kidneys, don't sleep with baby in bed beside you. Main advice on sleeping is to recognize that your child is different from the other ones, and there's no real normal. Be sensible and go with what feels right... at 1-3 months there's no amount of closeness or connection that is too much for the baby. You'll sort of have to learn... one of ours hated sleep, one loved it, one could take it or leave it. One of ours hated being touched or picked up by anyone but us, one was normal, one was outgoing... You just sort of need to be ready to listen what your new person is telling you and go with that.

As they get older, this advice changes some... but for the first 1-3mo, you should be prepared to flex around the newborn, rather than her falling into the schedule you'd prefer.

spool32 on
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lots of advice already so I'll share the best advice we got and used:

Establish a nighttime routine early and stick to it. We started ours about two weeks in.

This does not mean you have to put the little one down at the same time every night (cause that just isn't going to happen for a while), but you can go ahead and setup the Pavlovian queues.

For us our routine involves bath, reading, and feeding. Do this every single night before you put them down. You don't have to do them in the same order every night, but they should all happen to some degree.

Do this and once your n00b is around 6 weeks they will recognize the pattern and respond to it. They will calm down and go to sleep faster and sleep better.

You should also look at: http://thewonderweeks.com/
    They do a great job of letting you know what your kid is going through and when you are aware why your kid is doing what they are doing it makes it a whole lot easier to deal with.

Outside that just hang in there for the 6 week mark. That is when everything turns around and starts getting easier. Until then just survive :)

Dajian on
  • KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guys, this is great stuff, I can't tell you how awesome it is to have recent hands on experience tips coming at me. Thank you!

Some more helpful background:

I (the mother) am not working at this second and probably won't be until she (the babe) is at least 3-6 months. We have enough income/savings/family help to stay afloat without dipping into savings until that time. After that, I'm going to be returning to work and adult life. Also, get this, we have BOTH grandparents in the same town we live in, about 3-5 mins from our house. Blessing or curse? They are both already enamored with this child, so I think it will go well, and there can be 24hr emergency care/advice, though daycare will need to eventually happen because both sets are rather infirm.

No offense to anyone who did natural, but I am DEFINITELY getting an epidural, at least for transition/active labor. BUT I will try my damdest to avoid induction/c-section, if I can.

Breastfeeding is really important to me, and I am going to try very hard to make it work, but I refuse to guilt myself if I can't due to low supply or other medical problems

Co-sleeping will technically be happening, with an Arms Reach Co-sleeper. It's basically a small crib with mesh siding that attaches to the bed, so I think I'm pretty safe. No way I could bedshare and not be a nervous wreck.

Killgrimage on
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Five Ss were the most helpful goddamned thing ever
    http://www.wikihow.com/Soothe-a-Baby
    I was never unable to stop my kid from crying with these

Skoal Cat on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Co-sleeping will technically be happening, with an Arms Reach Co-sleeper. It's basically a small crib with mesh siding that attaches to the bed, so I think I'm pretty safe. No way I could bedshare and not be a nervous wreck.

Just be sure it's installed properly because bad things can happen with those if it isn't.

Though I have a feeling after a month or two you'll remove it.

And about breastfeeding, sometimes it just doesn't work out. My wife was only able to for about a month. She just wasn't producing much. We supplemented with formula and then went all formula. Our son is fine.

Sir Carcass on
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    First of all, congratulations!

Second, I want you to know, that my boys are only a month old, but they're twins, so clearly my advice is the most important! :D

The co-sleeper is the best decision you've ever made. It's the best thing in the world to be able to simply reach over and comfort a fussy baby.

Research is great. Customer reviews from places like Amazon, and google searches on products will save both your wallet and your life. Quick, easy, and super super helpful.

The Biggest Best piece of advice I can give you is one you already know a bit obviously, but a little outside affirmation helps. DO NOT FEEL GUILTY. It's your baby! Ignore advice as you see fit, no matter who it comes from (ie grandparents).

Take the mini vacations you can get, and don't feel bad about it. Personally I love a quiet minute and a good cup of coffee. My fiance likes a long hot shower.

Definitely don't feel guilty about breastfeeding, or not, as it works for you. Breastfeeding is clearly better, but it's the silliest thing I've ever heard to stress mightily about something that has statistical tendencies

.One big one is, no matter how excited you may be now, be aware that everyone reacts to their baby differently. You may be smitten the moment you lay eyes on him/her, but for a lot of people it takes a little time getting to know their baby before they're really head over heals. Don't let that worry you.

Along similar lines, be aware of Post-Partem. Even if you are aware, ask the hospital staff about it after the baby comes. But don't worry about it. It's a medical thing. If it happens you treat it, it gets better after a little while, and life goes on! Nice.

As I say this remember the ignoring advice thing, but don't Furberize! At least as it is popularly conceived. Babies need to feel secure, and in reality a baby that gets comforted when they cry will be a more confident and outgoing toddler. Hand in hand with that though, be aware that babies fuss when they sleep. They wake up frequently, and the coo and grunt and whine. Don't let it worry you, and definitely don't let it make you jump up every fifteen minutes and lose out on what little sleep you can find. If your baby is really upset, they'll cry to let you know, and you'll recognize it.

edit: and the grandparents in town is great news. Just be sure that when they offer to "help" they're doing something legitimately helpful. If necessary let your partner be the bad guy and kick some heads around to make them. For example you get to hold your baby whenever and for as long as you feel like. They can wait until you feel like letting them have a turn, definitely another thing to not feel bad about.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
    edited June 2011
    Another thing, learn to swaddle. The nurses at the hospital should be able to show you. Use two blankets, doing a full swaddle with one then with the other. Babies sleep better when they're bundled up like a burrito. It reminds them of being in the womb and relaxes them.

Sir Carcass on
    edited June 2011
    So i hope you don't mind asking this here since i think it would apply.
    for those with youngin
    Any must have registry items that you can't live without? things you regret asking for since they just take up space

feeling slightly overwhelmed with the small things. the obvious stuff is kind of obvious

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Don't buy anything extra tiny. Small bottles, burp cloths, etc. Get full sized stuff as the kid will grow out of everything ASAP. Also, pee blockers for boys, little penis sponge things, are horrible.

Skoal Cat on
    edited June 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    Don't buy anything extra tiny. Small bottles, burp cloths, etc. Get full sized stuff as the kid will grow out of everything ASAP. Also, pee blockers for boys, little penis sponge things, are horrible.
    bottles too? I thought that having all that extra air space was bad

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    They make bottles that remove/reduce the air from the sip. Just stop the kid from drinking when the liquid is gone.

Skoal Cat on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mts wrote: »
    Any must have registry items that you can't live without? things you regret asking for since they just take up space

Boppie and extra covers- My wife loves that nursing pillow, and now we use it for the baby to sit up in or to recline against. That's a must.

Philips (and other companies) make a microwave sanatizer for bottles and stuff. that's much better than hand washing or running the dishwasher.

If you're pumping, buy a high-end unit, and buy an extra set of the tubes, cups, etc.

We bought a car seat base and carrier combo, and the extra bases are cheap. One extra for the cousin or grandparents or whoever wants to take your kid to show off is nice.

Extra bedsheets for the baby's bed are really nice. You could easily have 2 sets soiled in one way or another in a short period of time.

Diaper Genie II. Better than your house smelling like poop.

Easy-clean play mats, like the kind under the play gym things.

A bouncy seat is great for putting baby down for a nap. Get a really basic one that is easy to move from room to room. I would suggest for all battery-operated stuff that you find something with a timer, because we had batteries go out in things we forgot to turn off. We loved this one, battery issue aside.

Bouncy seat at day 1, swing at 1 month, play gym at 2 months, sin-n-spin at 3 or 4 months, jumparoo at 5 months. All are musts in my book. Batteries, too, of course.

We really liked having a video monitor for the baby. That's a preference thing, though.

Generally, extra/spare/too many of something means that you won't ever had to fix of move or repair or wash somehting at 4AM. Same goes for mom's clothes, too, like nursing tops. We went out and bought extra burp rags like 3 days in, and knowing that I'd never be in danger of running out was nice.

LaPuzza on
    edited June 2011
    Don't buy too many newborn clothes, you'll probably get a lot as gifts and they'll outgrow them really quickly anyway.

For bottles, get the kind that are basically plastic shells that you put a liner in. Put in the correct amount of liquid and then push the air out.

If/when you do formula, don't cheap out. They are not created equally. If your baby is having problems with colic, try using a different one. We liked Infamil.

Don't buy burp cloths. Instead buy a few cloth diapers. They're larger and more absorbent. And usually cheaper.

To stop errant pee while changing, just put a washcloth over the area. Don't leave it exposed, especially for newborns, because you will get peed on.

Not going to go into the circumcision debate, but if you do have it done, all you really need to do for upkeep is get a box of gauze squares and a little jar of vaseline. Every time you change him, wipe him off, put some vaseline on a gauze square, put in on him, then close the diaper. That's it. After about a week to 10 days, he's good to go.

Things we wouldn't have wanted to live without:

bouncy seat
    swing
    jumparoo
    diaper genie
    pack and play (great for traveling, and also for use as a playpen)

My wife really liked the boppy pillow, but I didn't use it.

We also got a stroller/carrier combo. It made transporting the baby very simple, and we still use the stroller, almost 3 years later.

We also had a baby bath tub that had a temperature sensor and LCD display that we really liked. Perfect water temperature every time.

Sir Carcass on
    edited June 2011
    The stroller carrier combo is brilliant.

Skoal Cat on
    edited June 2011
    +1 Diaper Genie!

Man, I remember all this gear... it's been ages since I thought of the genie. Your life gets taken over by babby l00t!

:lol::lol::lol:

spool32 on
    edited June 2011
    +1 Diaper Genie!

Man, I remember all this gear... it's been ages since I thought of the genie. Your life gets taken over by babby l00t!

:lol::lol::lol:

We still can't travel without filling up the back of the SUV, but it's getting better. Our first time traveling was when he was 1 month old (Thanksgiving), and in a Ford Explorer we pretty much only had room to sit. Stuff everywhere.

Sir Carcass on
    edited June 2011
    we are probably going to go cloth diapers, though likely will use disposables at first for ease

space is one of those things that is going to be a nightmare for us. when we travel we usually bring our dog so she has her own ton of stuff. luckily we already have a roof box that will liekly get crammed to the gills

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wow, a lot of you all actually used your diaper genie?!

we tried it, but realized tossing it in the trash can was a lot quicker and just as efficient hehe

Xaquin on
    edited June 2011
    Re: Diaper Genie. I've heard mixed things. Right now I think we're just going to go the pail route and see if that's enough, otherwise we'll consider the Genie.

Space is tough for us also. We have way more space than we need for just two adults, but add a baby and it's like adding 3 more people...

I have no idea what we are going to do about cars. We each have a sedan. I am going to try HARD to make that be enough for the very occasional trip we take. I know my in laws have SUVs, but I am SO not comfortable with someone who is not myself/my husband driving the car (we are not on their insurance.) How concerned should I be about this?

Killgrimage on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »

we tried it, but realized tossing it in the trash can was a lot quicker and just as efficient hehe

Diaper goes from baby butt to airtight bag in 2 seconds. The resulting trash bag is a tightly packed piece of toxic waste that doesn't get caught up or torn open in a trashcan before it hits the curb. If you didn't need one, either your nose doesn't work or I need to know what you were feeding your baby :)
    Re: Diaper Genie. I've heard mixed things. Right now I think we're just going to go the pail route and see if that's enough, otherwise we'll consider the Genie.

Space is tough for us also. We have way more space than we need for just two adults, but add a baby and it's like adding 3 more people...

I have no idea what we are going to do about cars. We each have a sedan. I am going to try HARD to make that be enough for the very occasional trip we take. I know my in laws have SUVs, but I am SO not comfortable with someone who is not myself/my husband driving the car (we are not on their insurance.) How concerned should I be about this?

My wife had a mini-ute and I have a coupe. We got by, but we didn't have any long road trips. The fact of the matter was that the inlaws ended up buying a lot of their own stuff, like a bouncy seat and toys and even a booster highchair, so we never had to travel with that.

As for drivers, you'll get over that after the baby comes. My wife insisted that she sit in the back seat on the way from the hospital, but now she'd strap him onto the spoiler of an IndyCar. Parents either go insane trying to avoid everything that could go wrong, or realize that every person you see made it through childhood in a more dangerious time. My wife was carted around in the back of a Pinto FFS, and she made it out of the 80s despite her mother and the Russians. Don't worry, you'll be worrying less very soon.

LaPuzza on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Worth mentioning on the circumcision thing...if you are going that route some hospitals/insurance plans (at least the ones up here in Maine) - now consider it to be cosmetic surgery and therefore will not cover it. We had to pay in full for the procedure prior to them doing it. Worth checking into before getting to the hospital and having a surprise $400 out of pocket expense.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited June 2011
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

Diaper goes from baby butt to airtight bag in 2 seconds. The resulting trash bag is a tightly packed piece of toxic waste that doesn't get caught up or torn open in a trashcan before it hits the curb. If you didn't need one, either your nose doesn't work or I need to know what you were feeding your baby :)

Yeah, if you use it correctly, it really does cut down on the smell. You'd be really surprised how much odor those diapers can give off. You get a nice whiff when you cut off the bag and tie it. It doesn't completely eliminate the smell, especially when it's full, but it's much, much better than otherwise. We keep ours in our sons room right next to his changing table and most of the time you don't even notice it's there. Definitely worth the money. With our 2.5 year old son, I have to empty it out about once a week, and it just takes a minute.

I will say about it, we bought two thinking it would be handy to have one in our room and to have to take with us on trips, but used that second one maybe 2 times, so you really only need one. They're kinda bulky, but extremely light.

Sir Carcass on
    edited June 2011
    mts wrote: »
    we are probably going to go cloth diapers, though likely will use disposables at first for ease

Funny story: our oldest hated cloth diapers, from the time she was a month old. Now, 2-3 days isn't uncommon if you're exclusively breastfeeding - there's just not much waste in breast milk for a baby to need frequent poops. You wouldn't think somebody that age can express any sort of preference, but she did... she refused to do any sort of solid bowel movement in them, ever. Pinned loose, tight, differentconfigurations, whatever, it didn't matter. We thought she had digestive problems... once she went 8 straight days without a bowel movement. We were sort of freaking out... doctor could find no blockage, we massaged her tummy, nothing. She would screeeeam, too... we knew she was upset and feeling terrible. Then we ran out of clean cloth ones (service hadn't delivered fresh yet) and threw a disposable one on her... nonstop poop inside of 15 minutes. "No effing way" was our response, so... after that we experimented for a month, and yep. She hated pooping in cloth.

*shrug* kids are weird.

:D

spool32 on
    edited June 2011
    Re: circumcision: We had it done for our first boy, mostly because we wanted him to look like me, and not have "I'm different from Dad" issues when he was a toddler.

(Yes, it's entirely normal for your 2-3yr old kids to occasionally see your junk. Yeesh.)

Decided after going through the process that we wouldn't do it with our second boy... cleaning is more of a hassle when they're young kids - you definitely will be more involved with the boy's johnson if you don't, just by cleaning him while in diapers and being sure he cleans himself properly while potty training. Pretty much the first time he gets a rash or a mild infection down there from slacking off will also be the last time it happens, though. That sort of thing will make an indelible impression on a young kid, heh.

Now with them 13 and 11, they know they're different and we don't have a very good explanation as to why, except to say that our opinion changed in the two years between them. Pretty lame explanation, and honestly I think we're both still conflicted about both decisions.

spool32 on
    edited June 2011
    She hated pooping in cloth.

Yep, she did, probably because dirty cloth diapers can be more irritating to a baby's skin than disposable ones, which will wick away any moisture as soon as it touches them. Most CDer's consider this a bonus because it means your kid will hopefully potty train earlier. Your baby was super stubborn though...imagine if she was born before disposables were available! I'm glad you were able to find and fix the problem. We've had a couple friends who's babies hated cloth too.

I've thought about CDing, but numerous studies/articles have convinced me it's six of one, half dozen of the other. Either you hurt the earth with trash, or you use way more water from all the laundry. What counts is what works for your family, and I think disposables are just going to work for lazy people like us.

BTW, the baby is a girl, so no worries on circumcision. However if it had been a boy, I would have staunchly been in the "Care for an open wound for weeks? Fuuuuck that." party. Did I mention I am lazy?

Killgrimage on
    edited June 2011
    BTW, the baby is a girl, so no worries on circumcision. However if it had been a boy, I would have staunchly been in the "Care for an open wound for weeks? Fuuuuck that." party. Did I mention I am lazy?

You still have to care for the cord stump for about that long.... I actually found that more annoying that the gauze/vaseline.

Speaking of, basically every time you change their diaper, you have to wipe around the cord stump with an alcohol wipe. That thing is pretty gross.

Sir Carcass on