As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goodbye Dear System

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
So my DS lite's hinge crack turned into a completely broken hinge today. It was a good system, served me well through a lot of Picross, Professor Layton, Final Fantasy, and so on.

So I need a replacement. Problem is, I was using it to play FFV Advance at the time. So a DSi/3DS actually won't do the trick. I'm considering two options:

A) Used DS lite from Gamestop or something. $90. Cheap, questionable reliability. No future proofing.

B) Buy some flavor of GBA from Gamestop or Ebay. SP is like $45 from gamestop. Later on, buy a nice shiny 3DS, and I'll have it all!

C)Repair? Not sure how feasible this is. The entire corner piece of plastic over the R button, the piece where the On/Battery LEDs are, is what broke off. Doesn't seem fixable without some spare parts or an awesome superglue job.

captaink on

• Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If it were me I'd get a GBA micro and a 3DS. The micro is awesome, and you may want a 3DS eventually anyways.

Valleo on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been pondering a new/used DS Lite for a while, doubly so now that the official price has dropped and I can only assume the demand has gone down while the supply has possibly gone up a bit now that people are possibly jumping to the 3DS.

That said, Ebay, Craigslist and Kijiji all seem to have people under the impression that these things are still worth ~$100 used, and ebgames.ca still has theirs listed at $140 Can new, so either I'm incorrect in my initial assertion, or it's simply going to take a while for my belief to become reality.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DS Lite had a price drop to $100 new. If you're going that route, splurge on the extra $10 for a system that has a manufacturer warranty, will probably last longer than a used one, and minimizes GameStop's profit. I think the best GBA experience is on the DS Lite due to having the best picture quality, though the size of the system is a little small for my taste and tends to give me hand cramps after a while. If you want a cheap alternative, go for an SP or a Micro. It ultimately depends on what matters more to you: money or the experience.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Worth mention is the DS Lite is only $99 new right now until they sell out - so I wouldn't even consider the used one if I were you.

I think Nintendo charges $70 to repair them and they do a great job so you may want to call them to discuss that option.

I'd go with a new DS Lite - at least if you update to a 3DS later you'll probably still be able to get a few bucks on Craigslist for it later - the GBA probably not so much...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Definitely just buy a new Lite, well worth the money over a used one.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Take your pick in color: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=DS+Lite&x=0&y=0

or if none of those appeal, check local stores for other colors. They should all be 99.99 new!

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Repair would be kind of nice because I just put a new Hori screen protector on the bottom screen. But on the other hand, a new one would have a fresh battery, and I think mine is starting to peter out.

Edit: Also I lost a stylus and my other one is worn out and falls out of the holder easily. AND my broken DS is white and I'm tired of its griminess. Blue/black or red/black will not be as dirty looking. AND I have a nice case that wouldn't work for other sized consoles.

captaink on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    captaink wrote: »
    Repair would be kind of nice because I just put a new Hori screen protector on the bottom screen. But on the other hand, a new one would have a fresh battery, and I think mine is starting to peter out.

Edit: Also I lost a stylus and my other one is worn out and falls out of the holder easily. AND my broken DS is white and I'm tired of its griminess. Blue/black or red/black will not be as dirty looking. AND I have a nice case that wouldn't work for other sized consoles.

There's no guarantee you'd get your same DS back with your screen protector. A lot of the time they just give you a new device, and even when they don't I've heard lots of stories of people getting their devices back with the screen protectors taken off and included separately.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Amazon's got Hori's for $9 so it's not a big deal. Worth it to get new stylii and battery, I guess.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Popped over to Target and got a new black and red DS lite. Not sure if I like the 'unfinished' feel of the black plastic parts. It probably doesn't pick up grime and fingerprints as much though.

captaink on
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The matte finish does prevent it from being covered in fingerprints. Personally, I like the glossy finish. A quick polish with a microfiber cloth and it looks all nice and shiny.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I am not a big fan of gloss covering for handheld items, especially droppable ones. I want a DS with a covering like an otterbox. Something I can accidentally drop onto my foot and kick across a parking lot without the wailing and gnashing of teeth afterwards.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nintendo fixes the hinge crack for free, you know

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nintendo does not fix the hinge crack for free if your DS is older than a certain date. I know this because this exact problem happened to me, and when I called the repair center they said that they could not give me the free fix and that the cost would run nearly the price of the DS lite itself.

What you can do is buy a hard case for the DS, and it holds the DS together for you. These go for like $10-$20 dollars depending on the one that you buy.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mine must be too old as well. I put the serial number into the Nintendo repair website and it did not give me that option. It was $70 to fix or $80 for a refurb.

captaink on