As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Essential Anti-Virus

sainsain Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
For years I've just been using AVG, with live control and automated scans, but it's evidently not enough.

I'm being redirected to advertisements whenever I click a Google search result. Prior to each search, Google requests a Catchpa, citing "unusual traffic from your computer network".

Are there any programs that are especially good at preventing this crap?

sain on

• Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd start here. Read through the guides at the beginning, try some of those options. If they don't work, ask the security gurus, as they're likely to have additional tactics.

twotimesadingo on
    PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    sain wrote: »
    For years I've just been using AVG, with live control and automated scans, but it's evidently not enough.

I'm being redirected to advertisements whenever I click a Google search result. Prior to each search, Google requests a Catchpa, citing "unusual traffic from your computer network".

Are there any programs that are especially good at preventing this crap?

Ditto what 2xDingo said.

Have you kept your AVG virus definitions up to date? Running an out of date anti-virus program is like having no antivirus protection at all.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A lot of antivirus programs don't scan for adware, as they're not technically considered to be viruses. I would suggest you use the three "top recommendations" in the link posted above.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Girlfriend's computer had that same problem, even after the culprit (rootkit) was found. Check your hosts file, and remove all except the localhost entry.

Turkey on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    NOD32 - AV trial- First to defend against most viruses out there.

Spybot S&D- Spybot is great for keeping adware/spyware out

Malwarebytes - Catches what spybot misses and sometimes more.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    sainsain Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Turkey wrote: »
    Girlfriend's computer had that same problem, even after the culprit (rootkit) was found. Check your hosts file, and remove all except the localhost entry.

This did the trick, thank you!

sain on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd say no matter what AV you choose also keep the free version of Malware bytes on the computer, and also on a USB drive in case of a hostile takeover of your machine. I've saved my mother's computer a few times from Hostage Ware with Malware Bytes a few times.

Psychotic One on