As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hel'p mde<?

Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT,50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
unledlye.jpg

Tentaclemon.jpg
STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
Rogue Lemon on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What is the make and model? Also, why not use the onscreen keyboard and type with your mouse for the time being?

Esh on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maybe get a usb keyboard to at least get you through troubleshooting the problem.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did you spill soda in it? Or water? Or Gatorade? Or lemonade? Or iced tea? Or fruit punch? Or Snapple? Or beer? Or orange juice? Or pineapple juice? Or pig's blood? Or some other liquid? Or did you maybe sweat on it a lot? Or take it out in a heavy rain?

That happened to one of my keyboards after I had basically turned it into a canteen.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    Did you spill soda in it? Or water? Or Gatorade? Or lemonade? Or iced tea? Or fruit punch? Or Snapple? Or beer? Or orange juice? Or pineapple juice? Or pig's blood? Or some other liquid? Or did you maybe sweat on it a lot? Or take it out in a heavy rain?

That happened to one of my keyboards after I had basically turned it into a canteen.

He said something happened to it in transport.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like he baggage checked it at an airport and it came back like this.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Onscreen keyboard is a good idea, but it's almost as tedious as the highlight and delete method. I need to be able to write properly for school'. It's an ASUS U8OV laptop, about 3 years old.

Nothing was spilled, but I can probably get my hands on a USB keyboard for cheap.
    But I'd rather try to fix the issue if anyone has any ideas about what's going on.

Rogue Lemon on
    Tentaclemon.jpg
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's possible that one or more mechanisms under the keys is stuck, and you could get it checked out at a computer repair shop fairly easily.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nibble wrote: »
    It's possible that one or more mechanisms under the keys is stuck, and you could get it checked out at a computer repair shop fairly easily.

Yeah, it's going to be something physical, and unless you're comfortable poking around in your laptop, take it in.

Esh on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It wouldn't hurt to remove your keys and give the underside a good cleaning, but a simple contact problem wouldn't normally cause the "linked keystrokes" you're describing. I would get it fixed somewhere reputable.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is the keyboard linking keys that are near each other?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    Is the keyboard linking keys that are near each other?

Yes anmd no. Most are one or two keys apart, but M anmd D are al'so inexplicabl'y together.

I took it apart anmd cl'eanemd it out mdysel'f. No change. Il'md afraimd I mday be fuckemd.

Rogue Lemon on
    Tentaclemon.jpg
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like some weird ass series of shorts coming from a crack board somewhere. I'd start looking into replacement keyboards on eBay.

edit: btw, this is one of my favorite OPs ever

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you haven't made an insurance claim with the airline, do so IMMEDIATELY. They will probably pay for your damage.

Sadly, it'll be a little more of a challenge to get restitution now... checking a laptop is a bit crazy, and I wouldn't have even left the airport before testing it to verify it worked. But contact them ASAP.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like some circuit board/ribbon cable or something cracked and its messing with the keyboard matrix.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This happened to my Eee 901 after I took it apart to remove a small piece of plastic that had fallen in and was preventing the fan moving. I guess I wasn't gentle enough with the ribbon cable.

Luckily the keyboard on the Eee just pops off when you press some plastic tabs in, so I bought a new keyboard for my model nice and cheaply on Ebay and problem solved.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    they probably wont pay for any damage since they tell you not to check laptops

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A stopgap solution for this can be to use the Windows Onscreen Keyboard (I have no clue about macs, but they probably have a similar feature).

This works on Vista and 7; I'm not sure about XP

Start/programs/accessories/ease of access/on-screen keyboard.

Link to Microsoft page about it with video

Article I didn't read about how to use Mac OS onscreen keyboard

I realize that you won't be able to type fast, but if you need to do something that works and don't have a usb keyboard, you can do this until you get one or your laptop fixed.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Make sure it's not a software problem. If something really is wrong with your keyboard it's really easy to buy a replacement on ebay (or from your laptop manufacturer) and install it yourself for cheap. You can try filing a claim with the airline but good luck

tofu on