As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

End of an age, or just humor?

LordkilgarLordkilgar Registered User new member
edited June 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey, I'm an avid gamer, and I generally believe that much as we think things get worse over time, the only thing that really happens is they change.

That said, I just read this article And it has me wondering. Are we reaching the end of the golden age of gaming? Is what's coming going to be a watering down, where the only truly engaging things are going to be low budget or indie developed side-liners that get no attention outside their niche?

Now, I admit that Cracked obviously exaggerates things to the point of absurdity for humor's sake, but of late... I really have felt that gaming has been this way.

Now, I'm not saying Gaming is on it's way out, I couldn't make that call even if I thought it was true. But we do seem to be on the cusp of a fundamental breakdown, that, regardless of how well it turns out, will see gaming changed in a profound way.

With comics, TV, and movies, I find that I am most drawn to the things that do not fit the mold, and are often the half finished under appreciated things that can't sustain their budget.

Is this what is going to happen with gaming? My choices between angry birds and farmville (reality television) or cookie cutter FPS games (generic action movie)?

Have we reached the end of that time, when a concept is still new enough that it begged experimentation, risk, and pushing the limits of what it can do? Perhaps we've been here for a while. I certainly remember loving some games from my youth, and being sad that nothing like it exists now. I still play Master of Orion 2, and the only thing I can find like it now seems to be Civilzation IV (not V), which I consider equally golden.

So I ask you, as generally intelligent gamers, as clever people that have a passion for the hobby, the lifestyle, and even the industry. What do you think of this article? Is it hogwash? Is it exaggerating a minor truth? Is it highlighting something dread to come? or perhaps just a portent of the only inevitability, change itself?

It certainly resonated with me, but I am fallible, and my opinion is my own. What is your's?

P.S. In case the link doesn't work, this is the full address http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/

Lordkilgar on

• Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not intimately familiar with the specifics, but the consoles seem to have a pretty large financial requirement to achieve distribution, and they take a significant chunk from each sale in one way or another - and apparently even charge companies for having free downloads available through the consoles network?

Whereas PC gaming, you just start programming and put up a website. When you have a truly creative project, it is hard to measure the metrics of its success, so the more `base cost' (and cap on potential earnings) there is, the less likely it is to be viable to start.

I think that for as long as people keep using computers that are not locked into one corporate provider, there will be an avenue for bust-out hits, but that the increasing domination of consoles as game venues, and the resulting tendency of companies to design games for consoles, is where the real `problem' is - across any industry, a product with a high cost of production usually means `play it safe'.

Gosprey on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    With things like Terraria and Minecraft and other indie titles making gobs of cash I don't know how we can say we're entering the end of gaming.

Sure there will be less MEGA triple A games, but in my opinion we're on the verge of a gaming golden age that makes the SNES era look bad. Think about it: In not so much longer, processor technology will be such that near photorealistic gaming will be possible on every platform. In 5 years the cheapest laptop at best buy will easily be fast enough to handle current next-gen graphics.

override367 on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What do you think of this article? Is it hogwash? Is it exaggerating a minor truth? Is it highlighting something dread to come? or perhaps just a portent of the only inevitability, change itself?

Exaggerating a minor truth IMO. If you define "games" as "AAA games with lots of advertising" then the long-term trend is homogenization, but if you define games as "all games released" then the long-term trend is (IMO) towards more variety and imagination.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The "golden age of gaming" is always ending. Has been since at least the early 90s. All depends on your tastes.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Buy galactic civ 2. It's sooo much better than Master of orion 2 (which is still an awesome game).

Deebaser on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's a David Wong article. The guy used to be a great columnist, but hasn't been for a while now. Basically all of his columns for the past couple years or so have been;
    a) About video games, and absolutely nothing else (he used to write about all sorts of things).
    b) About how the video game industry is DOOOOOOOOOOOMED!
    c) Completely lacking anything that contradicts his point, no matter how glaringly obvious.

In David Wong's world, sequels are automatically terrible, LA Noire isn't a 'real game', and Portal apparently doesn't exist.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sorry bro, the golden age of gaming ended about 15 years ago.

Fortunately, the golden age of pretty graphics rages on.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, pretty horrible article. Is he really saying that we are at a creative end? Right, because us humans can only think about so many settings to tell a story in.

Theres no vision of the future of gaming? What?

I'd say in 15 years we are going to have full VR gaming. The screens are going to be a pair of glasses that incorporate motion tracking of the head and the hands. You will be able to look around a game by moving your head.

Everything will be projected through the glasses to the space in front of you. You want tactile response? You will have gloves that simulate touching objects by creating pressure dynamically. Theres your controller by motion tracking your hands. You might not be touching anything but air, but your hands will be touching a controller that only you can see and you will be feeling that controller as if it were really there.

I mean half of this technology is being created right. fucking. now. In 15 years? Who knows.

References

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Video eyeglasses need to get here yesterday.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, pretty horrible article. Is he really saying that we are at a creative end? Right, because us humans can only think about so many settings to tell a story in.

Theres no vision of the future of gaming? What?

I'd say in 15 years we are going to have full VR gaming. The screens are going to be a pair of glasses that incorporate motion tracking of the head and the hands. You will be able to look around a game by moving your head.

Everything will be projected through the glasses to the space in front of you. You want tactile response? You will have gloves that simulate touching objects by creating pressure dynamically. Theres your controller by motion tracking your hands. You might not be touching anything but air, but your hands will be touching a controller that only you can see and you will be feeling that controller as if it were really there.

I mean half of this technology is being created right. fucking. now. In 15 years? Who knows.

References

I always wondered how a fully immersive VR would approach walking. If it's going to be holding an invisible controller, you might as well just have a controller

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There are some trends in gaming that I don't care for, but man, there are SO many good games these days that I couldn't play them all even if I gave up my entire life to playing them. Indie development gets easier and easier, too, so while the big companies are currently aiming for a more mainstream audience in some cases (mind you, that mainstream gaming audience didn't even EXIST a few years ago), wants will still be fulfilled by the community.

While I'm hardly a gaming fanatic, I'm involved in the industry, and man, it's fine now and it's going to continue to be fine for the foreseeable future. I'd be MUCH more concerned about literature and the fine arts, as literacy is a perpetual issue and there are so many things people would rather do than to become educated enough to fully understand an extremely complex work.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    y2jake215 wrote: »

I always wondered how a fully immersive VR would approach walking. If it's going to be holding an invisible controller, you might as well just have a controller

I can see both sides.

In one hand, a controller might be necessary.

But, if a custom controller can be simulated well enough that you can manipulate it and be given a tactile response well enough in that simulation then that would be better. Essentially a controller that can be customized on the fly to the specific application or game.

Imagine like a large joystick simulated on your screen. You reach your hand out and the glove allows you to feel when you are touching the joystick. You move your hand and the image moves with it and the glove increases the pressure to show what direction the joystick is being pushed in.

When you think about motion capture as well as the ability to project an image that appears in the world in front of you plus tactile response.... well... that's like 50% of the matrix without being a cyborg.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Over what has been arguably 30 years of gaming, it is nearly impossible to quantify a "Golden Age of Gaming" and I will tell you why. For example, comic books, which have a very clearly defined "golden," "silver," and "bronze" age, are easy to categorize because you can take a sample of books from each age and notice the similarities in tone, art style, story, etc. But video games are much harder to quantify for two, perhaps three reasons.

1) Video games have vast differences in mechanics, art style, design, story (or lack thereof) across the multitude of genres (adventure, action, rpg, rpg/action/adventure hybrid, etc.);

2) The above differences are often influenced by different hardware, software, and interface limitations; and

3) Different countries experienced the above two elements in different ways (the UK was hot for the Commodore 64, FMTOWNS existed in Japan, PC Gaming had ups and downs across the entire world, etc.).

For these reasons its nearly impossible to quantify and label a specific time frame in gaming history as the "Golden Age." Instead, I would propose a method that would implement the above three elements, using certain games we would consider milestones in their genre, to determine certain "Ages" of games.

For example, on the PC, there have perhaps at least two golden ages of RPGs. The "First Golden Age of PC RPGs" probably lasted from the mid 1980's until 1993, covering the time between the release of Ultima IV and Ultima VII Part Two, the entire SSI Gold Box catalog, Wasteland, and the later Wizardry's. The "Second Golden Age of PC RPGs" begins from the publication of Fallout in 1997, includes Balder's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape Torment, Diablo 2 and Icewind Dale and probably ends sometime in the mid 2000s.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Of course, now we have Dragon Age, NWN, and Mass Effect.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    What timeframe was a Golden Age will always be subjective.

Not everyone will agree on a golden age. But I think we can all agree that the entertainment medium of video games has had multiple golden ages throughout the past 20-30 years and I see no indication that it is going anywhere from here.

The basis of the article that we have reached our creative end is completely silly. That's is like saying... oh, well books are coming to an end. We have pretty much written everything entertaining in the universe that can be written.

As far as mediums of entertainment such as video games, books, movies, etc I think that the only way that they will "die" is when they are replaced by a better medium. If we start seeing some new form of entertainment open up then maybe it will be time to get worried.

I think that will probably be when we can all go out surfing on a solar flare or cruising with some buddies to smoke hash behind a nebula, though.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We should probably hold off on our golden age, since we'll need two great people to set off another one.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We should probably hold off on our golden age, since we'll need two great people to set off another one.

So... maybe that is what the article is referencing?

We have had so many golden ages that we simply cannot keep producing enough Great Game Designer heroes to produce more?

It's all clear now! We must begin Hagia Sophia construction immediately!

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The only one of that article's points that's redeemable at all is the one about "infinite payment." Which doesn't really mean infinite of course, and I doubt it means the end of gaming.

His thesis seems to be "all these screens of zoomed in gunsights are pretty similar looking, guys"

well, fucking duh

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I could swear we had this argument in D&D before.

Thing is, what defines a non-mainstream player? I mean, a typical PAer's account on steam could have games that range from MW2 to AI Wars, and while Angry Birds is getting too much attention, I can't say I didn't enjoy it, its a fun game.

People who feel that gaming is at an end, in my experience, are going what through what I call gaming menopause.

I know a guy who would firmly say that the best part of series X is the one he started with; best Final Fantasy? well 7 of course, Best metal gear? well the first solid, best FPS? Why thats easy the first Halo.

Same people think about the good old days of Vanila WoW and how the game became too easy now, and loot is just crap; forgeting all the while the times they waited on Scholomance's door hoping a dude with a key will pass them by.

People who are crippled by nostalgia.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    To address the argument somewhat more substantively, there are lots of games doing tremendously creative things, and not just the indie ones either.

I didn't think LA Noire was that great a game really, but what they tried to do is pretty remarkable compared to the games of yesteryear. Bioware has done fantastic stuff with RPGs lately. Then there's the Wii (and the other hardware companies' motion control stuff), which is finally beginning to realize the goal nintendo had with the power glove and the running mat thing 20 years ago, and somehow the author turns it into more evidence that games are stagnating.

Apparently games are dying because there's no innovation... because all the new, innovative tech sucks. :rotate:

The FPS genre is pretty stagnant (with some exceptions but still) but I don't know if that's because nobody's thinking about anything new as it is that those games have found the formula everybody likes.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The days of John Carmack and John Romero are over. You need hundreds of people and tons of money to do what they did in 1992 now. The future of gaming is bleak only because for any game to be made, an audience has to be guaranteed, which promotes less originality and shittier games. And being an entrepreneur in gaming is impossible, the only option is to hope to be hired by a great company after making your own little projects.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    what do you call minecraft

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's a Cracked article....

And hey, I'm a fan of Cracked. I think a bunch of what shows up on their site is funny stuff. But I don't take it seriously.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

The days of John Carmack and John Romero are over. You need hundreds of people and tons of money to do what they did in 1992 now. The future of gaming is bleak only because for any game to be made, an audience has to be guaranteed, which promotes less originality and shittier games. And being an entrepreneur in gaming is impossible, the only option is to hope to be hired by a great company after making your own little projects.

Really, because when I look at say... Minecraft, I see one person doing what they did

override367 on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Games like Minecraft or the bajillion small developer, relatively cheap games you find on Steam, XBLA or any such service is why I am not worried by all the big developers all doing the same thing over and over again.

When the big guys leave a section of the market to all compete in the same narrow niche of games, the little guys come out of the woodwork and take up the space the big ones left behind.

We also have plenty of medium size old developers, making those interesting games that aren't just another brown FPS, who are still around. Developers like say Paradox, CD Projekt and such.

We still have tons of interesting, fun, varied games getting made, you just have to go elsewhere than the local gaming stores "top 10" display to find them, but they are there, reasonably priced and good.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    noir_blood wrote: »
    It's a Cracked article....

And hey, I'm a fan of Cracked. I think a bunch of what shows up on their site is funny stuff. But I don't take it seriously.

Was about to say. They're pretty funny, unless you have any knowledge at all about what they're covering.

Leitner on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are Triple A titles going to be fairly bland/homogenous, much like $200M budget blockbuster movies? Yes. However, note that there's still a ton of good indie and other movies out there, just as there will be in video games.
    Me, I just want more well written adventure games.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    schuss wrote: »
    Are Triple A titles going to be fairly bland/homogenous, much like $200M budget blockbuster movies? Yes. However, note that there's still a ton of good indie and other movies out there, just as there will be in video games.
    Me, I just want more well written adventure games.

You know I just got LA Noire and was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's pretty much a modern take on the adventure genre. With its success we might see more stuff like that.

override367 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    NATIK wrote: »

Games like Minecraft or the bajillion small developer, relatively cheap games you find on Steam, XBLA or any such service is why I am not worried by all the big developers all doing the same thing over and over again.

When the big guys leave a section of the market to all compete in the same narrow niche of games, the little guys come out of the woodwork and take up the space the big ones left behind.
    While true, its also a big reason why PC gaming needs to remain a real focus of the gaming industry, because its the cheapest entry-point for new game types.

We will be screwed if Sony, Microsoft and Apple are the arbiters of what is or is not distributed.

Gosprey on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As long as I can run a Mac on my PC, they don't have too much say of what I can do. Also, I think Valve is a bigger factor in the PC platform.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Ugh. Eff that. I'm not going to "suit up" to play video games. Hell, I don't even want to stand up - when I have the rare whole weekend to put into a game, I often play for several hours at a time, and I'd like to not end the experience disoriented or tired, thanks.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Up until a couple of years ago, you needed $100 million or so to even think about putting out a game on the PS3 or the 360. You needed to hire a CD manufacturing plant to stamp out CDs for you, get someone to design and print a manual, buy tons of cases, ship them to stores, the whole works. And all this costs millions to do on any appreciable scale. In short, it was "Go big or go home".

Now you can buy little arcade games that can be made by tens, instead of hundreds/thousands of people on Live Arcade, which only needs to be hosted on the console provider's servers, or Steam, or whatever. No more $60 price point necessary just to break even, no more supply chain nightmare. Now, the door is open for smaller developers to release a smaller game for $10 or $15 and still make money. You no longer need a sweeping 75-hour epic Final Fantasy padded adventure; your game can last all of 6 hours and at $15, no one will care.

In short, the big devs will still make very well-crafted but bland games, but other people will still make smaller, more innovative/niche games largely without fear of being stomped out by the big guys.

You would do well to listen to these guys: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Exactly. The "golden era" that we're leaving behind is the one where the big developers take risks and push boundaries. They still make games, but for the most part, if we've played an action title or an RPG, we'll know what to expect.

It's the smaller indie developers who don't have the budget to make those kinds of games who will be looked at as innovators and ushers of a new "golden age".

Vanguard on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And frankly, "not innovative" doesn't exactly mean "no more fun".

Two of my favorite games this generation are Bayonetta and Vanquish, otherwise known as "Good DMC" and "Good Gears of War". Within reasonably staid concepts you can craft something really amazing if you're putting your mind to it.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Most of these "bland" games aren't bland at all. The vast majority of triple A games are pretty damn good.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Basically the genres are set. We'll see some innovation within and some innovation in genre-buster games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Commercial pressure should do to video games more or less exactly what we see in movies. We will get very little innovation - recycling ideas is less risky - in games that are expensive to develop. We will also get a very mixed bag of cheaply developed games, some of which will suck and some of which will be good, where the majority of risks will be taken.

hanskey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    yeah, I forgot to even mention shadow complex

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gosprey wrote: »

While true, its also a big reason why PC gaming needs to remain a real focus of the gaming industry, because its the cheapest entry-point for new game types.

We will be screwed if Sony, Microsoft and Apple are the arbiters of what is or is not distributed.

I'm not sure why you think the big boys focusing on PC games will help indie developers. If anything it's the opposite. Less competition means more focus on indie titles as they come out.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zek wrote: »
    Gosprey wrote: »

I'm not sure why you think the big boys focusing on PC games will help indie developers. If anything it's the opposite. Less competition means more focus on indie titles as they come out.

People aren't gonna find those titles as easily if they aren't using a PC for gaming generally, though. The enthusiast market's never going to go away, but the mass market might.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, exactly that sir.

Gosprey on