As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Woops, I broke the Ocean

1234568»

• Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Snow on Atacama Desert!

This cannot be good. D:

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    but that's much less of a problem to overcome, especially if the earth in general is warmer...
    Global climate change with an increase of overall temperature doesn't equate to warmer temperatures in any particular area. You might just get really hot summers with winters remaining equally cold, potentially even colder due to, say, jet streams diverting and allowing more polar air to come down south.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    A report confirms that tuna are on the path of the dodo.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jephery wrote: »
    The funny thing is that in Civilization games, cities don't riot over starvation. They just quietly starve to death.

I speculate that's the East Asia scenario. The West will have riots. The Chinese will save face and starve.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SanderJK wrote: »

Tuna going extinct is one of those things I seriously can't believe will ever happen. I mean you buy them in tiny cans, the fish are enormous and they've been part of various memes since forever. A world without tuna is near unimaginable, yet I can see myself being an old person and having his grandkids be amazed that I remember when you could just buy tuna at any supermarket.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SanderJK wrote: »

Tuna going extinct is one of those things I seriously can't believe will ever happen. I mean you buy them in tiny cans, the fish are enormous and they've been part of various memes since forever. A world without tuna is near unimaginable, yet I can see myself being an old person and having his grandkids be amazed that I remember when you could just buy tuna at any supermarket.

We've had species of banana go extinct. Everything short of roaches and ants is vulnerable.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    One of things I'll bring often to other people when they mention the environment is how a shitty condition the baby boomers and the generations before them have made it. My generation and the ones after mine have inherited a sick planet which we are expected to keep on life support or save. Considering humanities general approach I don't have much hope for this ball of dirt.

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The hybrid fish-plant closed loop hydroponics systems will keep us well fed, our starvation isn't really a risk.

Also we aren't really in a position where we could really eradicate life in the oceans. The vast, vast majority of the oceanic ecosystem exists at a microscopic level. Talking about the oceans going extinct by talking about fish is like saying a forest is dying because we're finding less apes and monkeys whilst ignoring the trees and fungi.

Robman on
  • Options
    k9quaintk9quaint Registered User new member
    edited July 2011
    I believe we are changing the balance of species living in the ocean into something we don't find as appealing. However, I seriously doubt we will be able to eradicate life in the oceans to any significant degree. There is too much potential energy in the form of sunlight, nutrients and water for it to become a desert. It is changing into something unknown and unfamiliar to us, but I doubt it will spawn a global extinction event.

Species rise and fall, they are doing so much quicker now. I just hope what turns out to be the new dominant species in the ocean are edible to man.

I also doubt mankind can alter it's behavior in time to save the current balance, barring some paradigm changing energy source like robotechnology. ;)

k9quaint on
    Few men dare ask the question “What is toffee, exactly?” All those who have investigated this substance are now either dead or insane. - Tim McSweeney
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoxic_event

Let's just hope we can't fuck up the ocean enough to cause one of these.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ego wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoxic_event

Let's just hope we can't fuck up the ocean enough to cause one of these.

This.

Every species of fish going extinct is sad. The thought of everybody in the world slowly suffocating is terrifying.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I sincerely hope that we don't end up a "The Road" type scenario. Destroying our worlds biosphere and slowly watching the Earth fall apart around us would be a horrible, long death amongst the worst way to die for the lot of us.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Nice to know that our world will be destroyed thanks to mankinds lust for money.

We really are a terrible people.

Predictable people, self-interested people, short-sighted people. But I wouldn't say that we are "terrible" people overall.

Its hard to get somebody who's scrubbing toilets all day to pay for his shithole apartment to get fired up about a widely misunderstood crisis that requires long-term, broad thinking to really appreciate.

And there are a lot more of those guys than rich people and power brokers (who don't see it or care for another set of reasons).

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png