As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Help Choosing A Super Cool Magic Phone + A Network

DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty DameRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
All right, so I'm finally going to be upgrading to a phone that can actually do things, as opposed to my current one that can't connect to the internet or do anything neat! I will most likely be signing up for a 2-year contract.

I'm having some trouble deciding between networks though. The network also sort of dictates the phone I get. I've so far been thinking that AT&T and T-Mobile are the top contenders for me in terms of affordability and phones on offer, but I may have overlooked a good deal for another network.

A bit about how the phone will be used: I do not do a lot of talking, so 450-500 minutes will be more than enough for me... as such, the unlimited plans some of the networks have wouldn't be much help. Texting, I probably send about 500-800 a month. Data, I honestly have no idea how much I will end up using, as I've never had an internet-capable phone before!

For the phones themselves, I've been eyeing the HTC Inspire or the HTC Sensation, depending on the network. Open to suggestions as to phones that have worked for you guys, though!

So H/A forum, what plans/networks do you have? Do you like them in terms of affordability and reliability? Data plans seem to break down into either 200 MB or 2 GB per month. How much do you really end up using? Any advice will be much appreciated

Didgeridoo on

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I use T-mobile and it's awesome. If you can get onto their unlimited plans, you don't even need voice as they allow you to get JUST data plans.

As it is now, I have a plan with them for $65/month that gets me unlimited text/data and 500 minutes (or 400, I forget).

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can't speak for networks being a Brit, but picked up a Samsung Galaxy S2 recently and I love it.

Super fast and slick, great camera and features. As with most new smartphones battery life isn't the best, around a day when playing with it all the time but it does everything for me so I don't really mind.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    One thing often overlooked about Sprint is that almost all of their plans include free roaming (talking, texting, data), so you can use other people's towers, too. That, and the fact that I got a free* Droid from them makes me like them. That being said, they really don't have the best coverage, but it isn't terrible. I can easily understand not wanting to use them.

If you want to netflix from you phone, maybe check the netflix list of phones that work, mine doesn't. That being said, they're trying to expand the coverage to more phones. Whatever you choose, good luck!

*when I signed up for a 2-year contract.

RadicalTurnip on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't trust forum posters from other locations regarding network quality. Just bc one provider is bulletproof where I love doesn't mean it will work for you. Ask your friends, family, coworkers, etc locally to recommend a network.

Then pick a phone.

One suggestion is virgin mobile prepaid. For like $35/month they have unlimited data and texts, and a small bundle of minutes and Android phones. But again, only if they offer decent coverage where you live.

illig on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    illig wrote: »
    One suggestion is virgin mobile prepaid. For like $35/month they have unlimited data and texts, and a small bundle of minutes and Android phones. But again, only if they offer decent coverage where you live.

Keep this in mind if you opt to look into Virgin Mobile, because they do not offer roaming. As in, if you are outside of their coverage area you will not be able to make or receive calls/texts/data. They advertise this as "no roaming fees" which seems ridiculous to me.

I'm actually also looking for a new phone/contract right now. I've been primarily looking at Tmobile, because all of their data plans are technically "unlimited" but only the first X amount (200mb, 2gb, 5gb) are at full speed. After that they throttle your speed. I know a lot of people get pissed about throttling, but honestly I'd rather have that than any overage charges for using too much data. And since I don't use a lot of data in a month, I'm planning on just getting the 200mb plan, so it works out cheaper than other providers' plans.

Daenris on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Got to throw in my support for Verizon. In the Austin area I carry an AT&T iPhone4 and a Verizon Android (an old Eris, but my wife has a Thunderbolt) all the time, and the Android always has more bars, better signal inside large buildings (the back of Fry's or Walmart), and fewer dropped calls. In fact, my Eris never drops a call. Also, I like the Android's default keyboard much more than the iPhone's... and I have true unlimited data on my plan.

+1 Verizon, I've been completely satisfied.

spool32 on
  • Options
    HighPoweredMutantHighPoweredMutant Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well if you go the at&t route, I do love the HTC inspire. Great screen great camera, nice interface, and overall very positive consumer reviews. Sort of low battery but I have a car charger do I can deal. The Samsung infuse looked really good too when I was shopping, prettiest screen I saw, but it was 200 vs. the 100 for the inspire with upgrade.

HighPoweredMutant on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Out of all the various phones my friends and I have, the Evo makes the rest of them look like ancient pieces of crap. Of course I live in an area with great 4g coverage, so that probably has a lot to do with that. Also, the true successor to the Evo comes out in a few days. So you could either go for the new awesomeness, or get the original for next to nothing.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i have a t-mobile htc g2 and i love the damn thing. i switched from ATT to T-mobile and the difference is night and day, not only because of call quality and signal strength, but also...

fuck ATT's customer support. if you have any problems at all, good luck getting pointed towards someone who can actually help with your problem... and if they can, it won't actually get fixed for a week.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i have a t-mobile htc g2 and i love the damn thing. i switched from ATT to T-mobile and the difference is night and day, not only because of call quality and signal strength, but also...

fuck ATT's customer support. if you have any problems at all, good luck getting pointed towards someone who can actually help with your problem... and if they can, it won't actually get fixed for a week.

Lucky for you ATT is buying T-Mobile.

I current have a HTC "Droid" Incredible on Verizon and I love it. If I was getting something newer, Id go with a 4.3" screen, as opposed to the more standard 3.7". In my area Verizon's coverage has been excellent and currently has 4G coverage throughout my city.

If youre going to go wtih Verizon, the rumor is theyre killing the unlimited data package on July 7th, but people who have unlimited data plans before then will be grandfathered in. If you dont get an unlimited plan, youre going to be paying out the ass for data. Their new data rates are outrageous (I think its $30 for 2GB/month which is insane).

emp123 on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Do NOT get a Backflip. Ugh.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    illig wrote: »
    Don't trust forum posters from other locations regarding network quality. Just bc one provider is bulletproof where I love doesn't mean it will work for you. Ask your friends, family, coworkers, etc locally to recommend a network.

Then pick a phone.

It is only $25 a month for 300 minutes, unlimited data and unlimited texts. It rocks. Coverage is great where I live, it is definitely worth looking into the coverage where you are.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    Colin4MayColin4May Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've just upgraded to an HTC Desire HD handset... it's pretty awesomwe, but didn't ship with a user manual. You have to download that from the HTC web-site and it's 174 pages long... Jeez!

Colin4May on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Network coverage varies a lot by where you live. AT&T sucks ass in the Chicago area, but people seem to like T-Mobile. I've had very few problems in our 8 years with Sprint. Not fantastic, but reliable.

Using Android, most apps are 1MB+, with updates coming in a few times a month, so that adds up. You can (if your phone allows) switch to Wi-Fi, so that helps - I'm on unlimited, so don't really care. Also widgets will be constantly polling for data - email, weather, location - and it adds up too. The browsing itself it pretty minimal, it's all that extra stuff.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Out of all the various phones my friends and I have, the Evo makes the rest of them look like ancient pieces of crap. Of course I live in an area with great 4g coverage, so that probably has a lot to do with that. Also, the true successor to the Evo comes out in a few days. So you could either go for the new awesomeness, or get the original for next to nothing.

The Evo is a fantastic phone that does everything the OP wants with ease. The only thing I have to ask is how important is a camera to you? HTC cameras are good but not anything amazing, they utilize and older lens type that works well with pictures at a distance but have trouble taking good pictures of anything close like documents.

Right now the Evo is $99.99 with a new contract through sprint(thanks in part to the release of the Evo 3D) and with an Everything Data Plan and a smart phone premium data charge you would get unlimited text messaging, unlimited data and 450 minutes for about 79.99 a month.

Compare this to T-Mobile which has an unlimited* data(up to 2GB high speed), unlimited text and 500 minutes a month for 69.99 a month.

*Unlimited Data for T-Mobile actually means that depending on the plan you choose(200MB, 2GB, 5GB or 10GB) you will get that amount of data at high speed and then after you use up your allotment of "high-speed data" they throttle your speeds down and reserve the right to slow, suspend, terminate or restrict data usage for the remainder of the month.

With AT&T to get a comparable plan to the two I previously listed you would pick 450 anytime minutes($39.99), unlimited messaging($20) and a 2GB* data plan($25), you would end up with a close facsimile of the unlimited data plans offered above for a cost of about $85 a month.

*AT&T automatically charges you $10 for every 1GB of data you go over your data plan. Unfortunately there aren't any true unlimited data options via AT&T at this time.

Basically if you plan to use data a fair amount(and to be honest if you are a first time user getting a nice smart phone, you will.), I would suggest sprint, they offer the best data plan and right now you can get one of the best phones currently available for less than $100. :)

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm just going to throw in my .02$ to give you a heads up about data on a smart phone.

Think about all the places you go in a day and spend a lot of time. Work? Home? Family?

Do those places have open Wifi networks?

This is going to GREATLY influence your data usage. I basically spend most of my time at home, on campus, or in the library. These are the places I use my phone. They all have open wifi so I use it. I use MAYBE 200mb a month of data and I'm always using the internet, streaming Netflix/Youtube, playing online connected games, yada yada. The only time I really use 3g is with GPS and checking reviews/recipes/hours of operation and such when I'm in the car or in a store.

I have Verizon and I was hoping that they would have a 500MB plan for like 10$ a month because I would have jumped ALL over that shit in a heartbeat and never looked back.

I'm currently looking at Virgin Mobile myself because they're rock solid in Denver/Fort Collins/Colorado Springs and right now, that's all I need. Virgin Mobile is getting a rock solid Android phone around the middle of July, the Motorola Triumph. It isn't even clogged up with that Moto Blur crap that Motorola feels the need to make people suffer with.

So yeah, just something to consider when looking at a data plan where ever you end up.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Elin wrote: »
    that Moto Blur crap that Motorola feels the need to make people suffer with

It's true. I hate my phone so much. The random reboots might not be so bad if I didn't have to wait five minutes for the thing to get its shit together.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ceres wrote: »

It's true. I hate my phone so much. The random reboots might not be so bad if I didn't have to wait five minutes for the thing to get its shit together.

Root your phone and get Gingerbread!

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    JamesDM wrote: »

The Evo is a fantastic phone that does everything the OP wants with ease. The only thing I have to ask is how important is a camera to you? HTC cameras are good but not anything amazing, they utilize and older lens type that works well with pictures at a distance but have trouble taking good pictures of anything close like documents.

Right now the Evo is $99.99 with a new contract through sprint(thanks in part to the release of the Evo 3D) and with an Everything Data Plan and a smart phone premium data charge you would get unlimited text messaging, unlimited data and 450 minutes for about 79.99 a month.

Compare this to T-Mobile which has an unlimited* data(up to 2GB high speed), unlimited text and 500 minutes a month for 69.99 a month.

*Unlimited Data for T-Mobile actually means that depending on the plan you choose(200MB, 2GB, 5GB or 10GB) you will get that amount of data at high speed and then after you use up your allotment of "high-speed data" they throttle your speeds down and reserve the right to slow, suspend, terminate or restrict data usage for the remainder of the month.

With AT&T to get a comparable plan to the two I previously listed you would pick 450 anytime minutes($39.99), unlimited messaging($20) and a 2GB* data plan($25), you would end up with a close facsimile of the unlimited data plans offered above for a cost of about $85 a month.

*AT&T automatically charges you $10 for every 1GB of data you go over your data plan. Unfortunately there aren't any true unlimited data options via AT&T at this time.

Basically if you plan to use data a fair amount(and to be honest if you are a first time user getting a nice smart phone, you will.), I would suggest sprint, they offer the best data plan and right now you can get one of the best phones currently available for less than $100. :)

I feel that it should be pointed out that the Sprint unlimited plan with the 450 anytime minutes includes unlimited calling to mobile phones on any carrier. The only person I know that still has a landline is my father, so in practice, I get unlimited calling with this plan.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    True. The specifics are with a standard phone plan or everything messaging plan you get unlimited sprint mobile to mobile and with an everything data plan(the one outlined in my post) you get unlimited mobile to mobile within the united states. Of course with a simply everything plan you get just that... simply everything.

Side note since the OP doesn't seem to be responding to this thread: I work for a retailer that sells T-Mobile, Sprint and AT&T post-paid services and many other pre-paid services and people often ask ridiculous things of me when buying phones.

Yesterday I had a man come in with a phone from New Zealand asking if we could make it work in America, long story short we can't and I got him looking at new phones. His only stipulations: It must be pre-paid, he must not enter any kind of personal information, he must be able to buy minutes in cash anywhere in the country and the phone absolutely can not be made in China. I suspect he was a drug dealer, especially after that last bit about China...

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    emp123 wrote: »

actually I find HTC Sense to be a fairly rad UI/OS, but if you wanna root gingerbread is the way to go. Also where do you live and what type of phone specifically are you looking for? If you go smartphone ATT is 15$ month for 200mb, 25$ month 2gb, verizon has a lock on smartphones and has to be $30 unlimited plan. Sprint is cheapest for around the same plan by ~15 bucks, but they suck out here so it's not worth it. Let me know what city you are in and I can tell you pretty much exactly what to go with (used to sell phones)

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

actually I find HTC Sense to be a fairly rad UI/OS, but if you wanna root gingerbread is the way to go. Also where do you live and what type of phone specifically are you looking for? If you go smartphone ATT is 15$ month for 200mb, 25$ month 2gb, verizon has a lock on smartphones and has to be $30 unlimited plan. Sprint is cheapest for around the same plan by ~15 bucks, but they suck out here so it's not worth it. Let me know what city you are in and I can tell you pretty much exactly what to go with (used to sell phones)

The only reason my phone isnt rooted is because I really dig HTC SenseUI.

And just a reminder about the Verizon unlimited plan, its rumored to only be available until July 7th. If you get a contract locked in before then, youll have unlimited data for the duration of your contract, but theres been no word as to whether youll be able to keep the unlimited data if you upgrade phones at the end of the contract.

emp123 on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

And just a reminder about the Verizon unlimited plan, its rumored to only be available until July 7th. If you get a contract locked in before then, youll have unlimited data for the duration of your contract, but theres been no word as to whether youll be able to keep the unlimited data if you upgrade phones at the end of the contract.

On features that change between contract periods: you can grandfather in old features as long as they were on there before. Whether this will apply to Internet remains to be seen, but it does with ATT, and where one company goeth the other is sure to follow

and yeah love me some sense, hate motoblur with a passion

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

On features that change between contract periods: you can grandfather in old features as long as they were on there before. Whether this will apply to Internet remains to be seen, but it does with ATT, and where one company goeth the other is sure to follow

Typically you can do this with Verizon as well, but seeing as theyre making a huge push for tiered data plans, I wouldnt be surprised if these data plans are tied to the phone itself, so every time you get a new phone your unlimited data plan is a "new" unlimited data plan.

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

He of course means the HTC Evo 4G. The * original* Evo was a terrible phone with terrible battery life and would shut down randomly...and was only 3G. Just make sure that you aren't fooled by this.

RadicalTurnip on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

He of course means the HTC Evo 4G. The * original* Evo was a terrible phone with terrible battery life and would shut down randomly...and was only 3G. Just make sure that you aren't fooled by this.

I've never even heard of an Evo that isn't 4G and have been unable to even google the phone you're typing about. Anyway, I went ahead and upgraded to an Evo 3d the other day and its been pretty great so far. It boots up crazy fast and we've put it next to my buddy's Evo 4G and it the 3d loads pretty much any app between 2 and 3 times as fast. Also, when I was at the Bestbuy, I noticed the Evo 4G was going free with a 2 year contract, so maybe that's something to consider.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hmm, perhaps you are correct. When I was shopping for phones (a few months ago) I could either get my current phone for free, or a different phone that bore the same name as one that was just coming out and was a big deal, except it was the "old" 3G only version. Reviews had it as a terrible phone, and I was almost certain it was an "Evo" from Sprint, but this Wiki article doesn't have it, so I'm inclined to believe that I was wrong. Sorry =/

RadicalTurnip on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Maybe you were just thinking of how when the Evo first came out, most places didn't have 4g towers, yet everyone was forced to pay for it anyway. If I recall, the battery life was much worse until a few software updates improved it too.

MushroomStick on