As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iPad 2 Service Plan and other questions

suicidexcusesuicidexcuse Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My wife just bought me a new iPad 2 16 GB 3G for my birthday. Futureshop offered us an $80 service plan. I have no idea if this is worth it. I can't find online exactly what it offers. Does anyone know any details on this plan? I would ask the sales associates but they just give me a shpeel about how its soo worth it to give them extra commission.

She also bought me the zagg invisible shield and a smart cover. She had heard that the invisible shield gives it a weird look (something about a moire look) and makes it harder to read. How much of that is true? And is it worth it to protect the back as well?

And lastly, I'm looking for recommondations about apps I should get. I'm not looking for any game ideas but productivity apps. Apps for word processing, taking notes, listening to music, just any suggestions. I know there were other threads about app ideas but can't seem to find them.

Thanks in advance.

suicidexcuse on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't help you, but the iPad thread over in the Technology sub-forum might answer some of your questions.

Esh on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In my experience, all the extended service plans that I don't buy would've added up to significantly more than what the stuff I end up replacing adds up to. Plus there's a whole lot of fine print in those things about all the stuff they don't cover.

MushroomStick on
    edited June 2011
    In my experience, all the extended service plans that I don't buy would've added up to significantly more than what the stuff I end up replacing adds up to. Plus there's a whole lot of fine print in those things about all the stuff they don't cover.

Can he AppleCare it even though he bought it at Futureshop? That seems like the better idea.

Esh on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Esh wrote: »

Can he AppleCare it even though he bought it at Futureshop? That seems like the better idea.

I've heard horror stories about Applecare just telling people that whatever went wrong is moisture damage and not covered. In my initial post, I was referring to extended service plans in general, not just the one the OP was looking at.

MushroomStick on
    edited June 2011
    Esh wrote: »

I've heard horror stories about Applecare just telling people that whatever went wrong is moisture damage and not covered. In my initial post, I was referring to extended service plans in general, not just the one the OP was looking at.

Yeah, that's just a horror story is all. I've taken two iPhones into Apple that look like they got into a fight with a Grizzly and they didn't blink at it.

Apple extended care is good stuff. They tend to take care of their customers.

Esh on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Regarding the Zagg Invisible Shield, my understanding is this skin has an "orange peel" texture. I didn't like the sound of that so I ended up getting the BodyGuardz product, which appears to be vinyl. It retains a pretty smooth texture. I opted for full protection (includes back), as did my wife after a few weeks of use. Mainly to prevent scratches as these skins don't really offer any kind of drop protection. As an aside I've dropped it a couple times. I wouldn't recommend you do that, but I'm impressed with it's durability (the iPad's).

Djeet on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    InvisibleShield doesn't add an "orange peel" texture, though it does add just the slightest bit of friction. Otherwise, it's perfectly smooth, and completely clear and easy to see through.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Service plans are worth it if it's a "no questions asked" plan, and you are a clumsy person like my sister-in-law that drops her phone/camera/ipod 3 times a day. I wouldn't recommend the service plan from futureshop though, because I have only heard bad things about it, mainly them doing everything they can to not honor the plan. Apple's service on the other hand, is nothing but great, I've had 2 Apple products repaired/replaced with zero hassle.

Every device I own is covered in InvisibleShield, I wouldn't use anything else. Now I personally don't care if my stuff get scratched, the only reason I protect them is so when I ebay them after buying newer tech, I can sell the item "in perfect condition, no scratches whatsoever", any scratches on the item pretty much lowers the value by 50%, so it's important to me to keep my stuff scratch free, and InvisibleShield is pretty much the best protection you can have. Not to mention most scratches don't even leave a mark on the shield itself.

The 1st generation InvisibleShield had a real obvious "orange peel" look, it is much less obvious now. It's still there, but you have to be like 1 inch away from the screen to be able to see it, which is never. From normal viewing distance you can't tell if it's there. Also, I have yet to encounter a situation where it prevented me from viewing the device properly.

The downsides are, like the other poster mentioned, it creates more friction, and for some people, it's hard to put on. I would recommend watching youtube demonstrations.

defreak on