As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] is now FREE!! You have no excuse not to play. Meet the Medic in OP!!

UEAKCrashUEAKCrash hehRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A5ezhGbTxs
tumblr_leij4vSi181qz8z2ro1_500.png

New to TF2?
Read the manual.

So, you want to play competitive TF2?
This guide will set up you up with the basics on how to get in on some quick 6v6 competitive play without having to commit to a clan, schedule, practice, etc. This is purely for 6v6 and not Highlander (9v9 with a class limit of 1 for each class) because I do not believe highlander has their own pug gather system yet.

PUG stands for Pick Up Group, which is what it sounds like; A group of players interested in playing a tight 6v6 game. The 'gather' system is a system built into the #tf2.pug IRC channel that automatically assembles players who've opted in into teams and provides a server with league rules to play on.

This is done through 2 programs:

-Mumble, for voice chat
-IRC, for the gather system.

Personally, I love getting in a few 6v6 matches here and there, especially when the PA servers are empty. It's active at all times of the day, and you'll be set against players of a wide range of skill, ranging from merely interested folk like maybe yourself, to ESEA and CEVO level players.

As well, I think the gather system is a great way for people who knock 6v6 or have the wrong impressions about it to try it out for themselves and see what people like myself mean when we described it as just another level of play.

IRC
Open up your preferred IRC client it, be it something like mibbit.com or mIRC.

You need to connect to the irc.gamesurge.net server, and go into channel #tf2.pug

There is also a #tf2.pug.na channel, but its regulars are a bit more advanced, most coming from the top place teams, so #tf2.pug is much more entry level, which is what you'll want if you're looking to get into 6v6. Being immediately put up against slardel when you're a scout isn't going to do much good for your skills or your love of the game.

Mumble
Mumble is a third party voice chat software similar to Ventrilo and is used for communicating with your teammates during the match. Every team, clan, what have you uses a third party voice chat program instead of the in-game voice because it allows you to communicate when you are dead in-game.

Mumble is preferred over Ventrilo because of its ease of use and it provides several nifty features like an in-game overlay and pop-up messages telling you who's coming and going.

Download Mumble Here

Once installed it just needs some basic set up, and will ask you to create a certificate. Just enter in a name and an email, and then save it on your Desktop or any other place you keep misc. files.

Once you have Mumble set up, you will want to hit 'Add New' and enter in the relevant information. The tf2pug mumble server is:

Voice server IP : mumble.tf2pug.org:64738
Password : tf2pug

You'll want to keep the user-name you use in mumble and the server the same as the one you use in-game and in the tf2pug IRC channel so you can be easily identified. You will also want to stay in the 'Root' channel until you are assigned a game. Each of the respective channels (Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta) are server locations and each have a Red and Blue channel which you'll use during the matches

It may ask you if you want to run Mumble in compatibility mode when entering the server, just say yes to that.

First thing you'll want to do is make sure your Mumble is set to 'Push to Talk' instead of 'Voice Activity'. If you have it set to 'Voice Activity', your mic will turn on whenever you say anything without having to press a button, which can be annoying for your teammates.

Just go to Configure > Settings
settiings.jpg

and under Audio Input changed the Transmit drop down box to Push to Talk. Hit Apply.
settings2.jpg

Then go to Shortcuts along the left side, and hit add. It will add a new field into the white box. Double click on the 'Unassigned' and change it to Push to Talk, then double click the blank field under shortcut and select what button you want to use with the voice activation.
settings3.jpg

And that's it!

Getting into a match
So now that that is all set up, you're ready to look for a game.

Once you enter the #tf2.pug channel, the first thing you typically do is type !players
playersn.jpg

This will show you everyone who is queued up to play and what as. Because this is basic 6v6, the class layout that is supported in the pug channel is:
2 Scouts
2 Soldiers
1 Demo
1 Medic

Once there are enough of the above for two teams, the game will start. To add yourself to the queue, just type !add [yourclass]
addm.jpg

I am now added to the match queue.

Now you simply wait. The queue will fill up with 12 players, and the following message will appear
38862784.jpg

It will then sort you into teams
teamso.jpg

You may sometimes get a message similar to this:
readyl.jpg

All you have to do is type !ready into the #tf2.pug channel and it will leave you in the match

Your final message will be:
22648206.jpg

This provides the ip and password of the server you will be playing on, but as well as the mumble room you will be using. In this instance, I will be using the Atlanta 1 room, under Red team. Connect to the ip, get on your assigned team, and wait for everyone else to get ready

The Game
So as we know, the standard class make up is as follows:
2 Scouts
2 Soldiers
1 Demo
1 Medic

Demo and medic are limited to 1 per team, and everything else is limited to 2, but you won't see much deviation from this. The most common change is one scout switching to sniper on maps like badlands, gravelpit, or well. Heavies and engies are rare but still appear when some last ditch defense is needed
on gravelpit or badlands, typically when you're down to your last point. Pyros and spies are sometimes used to try and kill the opposing team's medic quickly in a clutch play situation.

The maps you will be playing on mostly are:
cp_badlands
cp_granary
cp_follower
cp_well
cp_gravelpit
sometimes cp_yukon

These are the maps that have just been found to be the most balanced and enjoyable, offering some great back and forth play over the center and second to last points. cp_follower is a custom map that combines the spawn areas of granary with a middle area similar to badlands. It is very fun and worth having in your maps folder.

In terms of gameplay, no matter what class you are, conservation is the key. The only outright battles you'll be fighting are in the opening minutes on the middle point and in pushes (either uber, counter, or when opposing team's medic is down). With everything else, you should be holding back, building uber, sticking with teammates and trying to pick off a few members of the enemy team. Never try to engage alone unless you're a decent scout. Attempting to jump into a group of opposing players alone will only get you killed again and again.

Hit and run strategies are never frowned upon, and knowing when to fight and when to fall back is a key skill you'll need to learn quickly.

As well, the opening moments of the game, where each team are heading to the middle, are critical. You'll soon pick up on the paths each class takes for each map, but generally scouts and demos should arrive first, with soldiers and medic not far behind, with medic sitting at about 50-60% uber. As a soldier/demo, you really should only be walking the last few bits of the map towards the center, the rest should consist of rocket/sticky jumping. The medic will heal you as you go down.

The following are some general strategies and expectations from the standard classes:

Scout
-Typically, unless stated otherwise, the two scouts are supposed to act as 'roamers': They move away from the rest of the team and work in tandem to try and take out the enemy medic or pick off fleeing soldiers/demos.
-They also play a crucial role in the opening of the game, as they will, along with the demo, be the first people to get to the middle point, where they will engage the opposing scouts/demo for about ten to twenty seconds. Any kills or damage that can be done during this time is integral for your team's position post-mid-fight.
-Do not try to engage a combo (soldier + medic) alone
-Engage demo + medic combos, try to get into close and try to take out the medic or jump around him and peck off the medic if you can
-When all else fails, just kill the medic. You are expected to die much more than anyone else, but if you get this one job done, it is worth it in spades.

Soldier
-You and the other soldier are the blunt force of the team. You deal the damage, jump the jumps, and protect the medic.
-The soldiers are typically designated as pocket and roamer.
-Pocket soldier stays with the medic and protects him from everybody. He is not expected to go rocket jumping onto points or pushing the objective (unless the medic has an uber)
-The Roamer is exactly that, he has some leeway to rocket jump onto points and push without a medic, but typically, unless he wants to get screwed over, he will stay close to the pocket combo or the team demo
-Pockets should always use the normal rocket launcher and shotgun as it is the best to counter to scouts
-Roamers can use the DH if they're good but it's not expected.
-You should know how to rocket jump everywhere. This takes practice.
-Airshots are balla and will look nice in your frag videos

Demo
-You got to know the sticky jumps. For pretty much all the maps listed above, you must be able to sticky jump decently enough to get to the middle point at the same time the scouts would, or just behind them. This is particularly critical on badlands and granary, where a good few stickies set up at where the enemy team are coming out could decide who gets mid.
-You're a bigger damage dealer than the soldiers, and can fire more indirect. But you're all alone, so you dieing is kind of a big deal. Hang back and spam pipes into the middle point, and sticky up essential choke-points.
-This pretty much applies for both attack and defense.
-Stickying up choke-points is particularly essential when you're getting pushed back. A sticky trap on the gates on cp_well can practically turn the game to your favor.
-Personally not a big demo, so can't say much either way, but you have to be fairly competent in sticky usage and knowing when and where to fight, but also how to use your regular pipes to smack down scouts and soldiers

Medic
-You're the key to a lot of what goes on. Your uber and kritz are essential, and your death means your team is unsupported and will probably get pushed in on.
-That said, hang back. Stick with your pocket soldier at all times, don't try to advance ahead of him
-Scream ungodly sounds into the mic when being attacked
-Don't pull out your needlegun or saw unless you are completely and utterly alone and there is nowhere to run to. You will have people defending you, your job is to keep them up and to build the uber/kritz
-Jump a lot
-You can pop your uber if you're in trouble, no one will blame you, just stay alive.

That just about covers the basics of it.

GotFrag has a great page that goes a little more in depth not just into general strategy, but particular strategies for specific maps and such

Click here for GotFrag's Tips & Tricks section

Of particular interest should be Jaeger's general tips and tricks videos. There's only 5 so far, but they look at some specifics that are definitely worth knowing if you're looking to pursue this type of game-play a bit further

Tips & Tricks Volume 1 - Scout Energy Drink
- A few points about the Bonk, although the recent Valve fix made the first-person tip impossible :(
Tips & Tricks Volume 2 - Soldier Jumps on cp_gravelpit, point C
- Examples of how to quickly get up the C tower on cp_gravelpit out the left and ride side of spawn.
Tips & Tricks Volume 3 - Spamming Through Doors on cp_freight
- This is technically a glitch, and is not allowed by ESEA.
Tips & Tricks Volume 4 - Pre-firing Rockets
- Some safety tips for soldiers about spamming around corners.
Tips & Tricks Volume 5 - Medic Healing
- A little love for our healers as guest star creepin outlines the basic healing order, and why.

Now it's time for....

!!!PRO VIDEOS!!!

Post with any questions for clarifications.

Hey You's
TF2PRO.COM / TEAM ZISSOU SERVER Donate!
Come test custom PA made maps and mods for the PAMTU (Contact an admin to join).
Server IP: 208.167.242.188:27015
Password: wang

Job's
Hyperbolic Drama Chamber Donate!
Normal server with SourceMod.
Server IP: 216.155.146.69:27015

PMAvers'
House of Non-Conformity Donate!
Custom map server.
Server IP: 208.167.243.68:27015
Stats page
Download the Map Pack. 412 MB download.
Contents of the map pack (updated: March 2nd):
p_gullywash_imp3
cp_obscure_final
cp_redfort_b5
cp_science
ctf_landfall_rc
koth_moonshine_rc
pl_boundary_rc4
Extract to: Steam\steamapps\<your account>\team fortress 2\tf\maps

b_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.png

SICK OF 32 INSTASPAWN PUBS?
Try the Blacklist Updater
Follow the info in the link and it'll provide you with all the info you need to create a customized blacklist.

Want to chat about TF2 or other inane bullshit? Join the IRC channel!
irc.slashnet.org #paforums_tf2

And just so none of you forget it:
BestGuyEver.jpg

UEAKCrash on

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    This new minigun is stupidly powerful.

I smell nerfs coming, because I know people are gonna whine about this thing to no end. And with the new medigun heavy medic pairs can only really be taken down by incredible burst damage. A lot of classes no longer really have a means of taking down the Heavy anymore unless they have a lot of backup.

There's always the old standby

Enlong on
  • JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hopefully the servers will stop shitting themselves by tomorrow so it won't be such a headache.

Jakorian on
  • proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I22rR.png

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Regarding the Quick Fix:

The new medigun has turned out fantastic. Yet again, the problem seems to be with the patients. People don't seem to understand how the gun works yet, so they start retreating despite the fact they are fully healed. Cowards. If I'm healing you at 300%, push the fuck up don't dance around back here.

The new gun is perfect, the patients are flawed.

Endaro on
    edited June 2011
    Any chance an Quick Fix charge can allow a Pyro to get close enough to a Sentry to make use of the Homewrecker?

Enlong on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I agree that players need to learn how the Quick Fix works. They'll keep damn running to the health kits and maybe heal 10 HP.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2011
    Enlong wrote: »
    Any chance an Quick Fix charge can allow a Pyro to get close enough to a Sentry to make use of the Homewrecker?
    Nope.avi

EDIT: Probably a level 1. A level 2 is possible depending on distance. But I am very skeptical you're going to do shit against a 3.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2011
    Figured as much. A level 2 outpaces the healing by about 20ish health per second. The rockets from a level 3 completely outpaces you.

So, best to use a Quick charge to, say, give a Heavy a few seconds of unpushed time to hit the Sentry.

Or maybe give the Demo the angle he desperately needs to destroy it.

And meanwhile, Homewreckers gather dust, unless they're being used to defend against sappers.

Enlong on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just crafted the Sultan's Ceremonial #77.
    It is the best hat.

Rizzi on
    edited June 2011
    So, should I make the Quick Fix, even though it uses my only Jarate and Kritzkrieg to do so (and the Kritz is Vintage)?

Enlong on
    edited June 2011
    I'd never destroy two singles like that. I'm loathe to kill any single on the off-chance they buff it.

The Quick-Fix's uber isn't really that good for pushes. You're not going to take down any real sentry nests, and players will quickly zero-in on you once they learn to recognize the Uber's graphic. The resistance to being push around is a bit weird since it's highly unlikely you're going to be doing any up-close assaults with that uber. Like you said, it's best to let a Heavy/Soldier/Demo get a few shots on something.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Here is a list of all the specific weapons needed to craft those in the Uber Update:
    Amputator
    Black Box
    Bonk Atomic Punch
    Brass Beast
    Bushwacka
    Chargin' Targe
    Conniver's Kunai
    Crusader's Crossbow
    Eyelander
    Fists of Steel
    Flare Gun
    Force of Nature
    Frontier Justice
    Gloves of Running Urgently
    Gunboats
    Half-zatoichi
    Homewrecker
    Jarate!
    Kritzkrieg
    L'Etranger
    Mad Milk
    Mantreads
    Pain Train
    Sandman
    Shortstop
    Sydney Sleeper

Here is a list of all the weapons not specifically used to create weapons for the Uber Update that can be metal or token fodder provided you don't need to craft any of the previous weapons:
    Ambassador
    Axetinguisher
    Back Scratcher
    Backburner
    Battalion's Backup
    Blutsauger
    Boston Basher
    Buff Banner
    Buffalo Steak Sandvich
    Candy Cane
    Claidheamh Mor
    Cloak and Dagger
    Concheror
    Crit-a-cola
    Dalokohs Bar
    Darwin's Danger Shield
    Dead Ringer
    Degreaser
    Direct Hit
    Equalizer
    Fan O'War
    Gunslinger
    Holy Mackerel
    Huntsman
    Jag
    Killing Gloves of Boxing
    Loch-N-Load
    Natascha
    Powerjack
    Razorback
    Rocket Jumper
    Sandvich
    Scotsman's Skullcutter
    Scottish Resistance
    Southern Hospitality
    Sticky Jumper
    Tribalman's Shiv
    Ubersaw
    Ullapool Caber
    Vita-Saw
    Warrior's Spirit
    Wrangler
    Your Eternal Reward

Please let me know if I've made any mistakes.

edit: added Vita-Saw.

Also, hold on to your Jarate. You need 8 of them for the Solemn Vow.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ugh the new crafting interface. Why the fuck? Could they at least put it in some semblance of order? Grouped by class perhaps?

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Well, I can at least make the new knife. I have 2 Refined metal and an extra Dead Ringer hanging around.

Enlong on
    edited June 2011
    I can't access my loadout anymore.
    Gah. I just wanted to craft. ;_;

Rizzi on
    edited June 2011
    What do you think of L'Etranger + Big Earner + Cloak And Dagger?

Being visible is for suckers.

Enlong on
    edited June 2011
    Well this patch is fucking fantastic.

Hit enter to type in chat, no text coming up. Can't remove the chat box, can no longer use the mouse to look or turn. Escape doesn't bring up the menu, can't change class or team, can't quit with alt+F4. Oh and the crafting server ate the only materials I had and gave me nothing in return.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    ...I think I'll wait until stuff stabalizes before crafting, then.

Enlong on
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Well this patch is fucking fantastic.

Hit enter to type in chat, no text coming up. Can't remove the chat box, can no longer use the mouse to look or turn. Escape doesn't bring up the menu, can't change class or team, can't quit with alt+F4. Oh and the crafting server ate the only materials I had and gave me nothing in return.

You'll get those items back next time you play, and the other issues will go away as the game becomes less stressed without everyone playing at once like they are tonight.

Dys on
    edited June 2011
    Did they add domination lines for Medic and/or Heavy?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I got the new heavy hat, and i only really collect sniper/spy/soldier items.

Anyone wanna trade for something?

romanqwerty on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seems they nerfed the detonator vertical distance, and possibly the horizontal. I used to be able to get from the first floor on 2dort to the second by jumping through the hole in the grate. No luck so far with the patch.

Detharin on
    edited June 2011
    Well we know why it went F2P. Because no one would pay for this shit.

Seriously though, the shield bash + melee at the same time is exactly as bullshit as I thought. And they can repeat it every second or two with the new recharge mechanics. Huge buff to heavy medics is possibly going to kill my interest in this game, as if those two didn't already dominate the entire game.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • RSPRSP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They're not even trying for balance anymore.

RSP on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Everything is going free, it is beautiful and insane and I am glad I haven't bought a major game in a while.

Lux on
    edited June 2011
    Those booties are going to be the bane of my existance, I can tell already. They require way too many things to craft them.

Rizzi on
  • Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Here's a fun combo, demo boots + targe + New sword. It is the best, nothing can escape it as long as you don't hit anything with your shield.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
    edited June 2011
    The servers died already, even after a huge update and new player influx. Kind of describes this entire update fairly well.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Well, people have got to sleep. Be healthy!

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So all that's left is meet the Pyro.

Anyone else wishing for a secend round of class updates?

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

edited June 2011
    Are you kidding? Maybe they could rebalance the 60% of items in the game that sorely need it first.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Well, we've only been playing with them for a couple of hours. Are you sure they're not going to even out over the coming weeks?

Paladin on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

What do you want for that hat

I will give you whatever you want for that hat

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »

What do you have of those 4 classes I listed?

I like sniper things most, got any sniper hats?

romanqwerty on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not sure why "f2p" is such a big deal. The game was what, like $5 before? And that only mattered to the 7 people on the face of the earth that didn't buy the orange box for some reason.

I'd be excited if the micro-transactions were actually, you know, micro, but they're not. Someone in the other thread was saying the pack of the new items was 100 fucking dollars and made it sound like a deal. Really? I can spend as much money as two brand new retail games to get a handful of powerful items? Sign me up.

SaraLuna on
    edited June 2011
    Not sure why "f2p" is such a big deal. The game was what, like $5 before? And that only mattered to the 7 people on the face of the earth that didn't buy the orange box for some reason.

I'd be excited if the micro-transactions were actually, you know, micro, but they're not. Someone in the other thread was saying the pack of the new items was $100 fucking dollars and made it sound like a deal. Really? I can spend as much money as two brand new retail games to get a handful of powerful items to make killing the influx of newbies even easier? Sign me up.

The thing about the item store is that Valve treats it like a tip jar

You can get pretty much everything in the game from drops or trades or achievements, there's no reason to spend money at all unless you are wildly impatient

So Valve puts shit up there for ridiculous prices both to a) not make it completely easy for someone with twenty bucks to get all the rare hats/weapons, and b) to allow people to give Valve more money if they wanna
    Paladin wrote: »
    Well, we've only been playing with them for a couple of hours. Are you sure they're not going to even out over the coming weeks?

Of course it will

Some of the new stuff does need fixing (demoman getting health from dropped weapons?), and some old stuff needs to be balanced in line with the new stuff, but on the whole this update is fine

Some people are just naturally whiny or doomsaying because of the free to play thing, I figure

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What happens when you use the dead ringer with the enforcer?

tofu on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    holy shit already there is an over-abundance of stupid people with fucked up unicode names being dumb all over the server

VALVEjunkie on
    edited June 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »

What do you have of those 4 classes I listed?

I like sniper things most, got any sniper hats?

Sadly, no

But I have a sniper class token! Or uh, some vintage sniper stuff

Or vintage items for soldier and spy!

...I got nothin'

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Something I'm worried about is people creating steam accounts and botting up tf2 endlessly

Paladin on