As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They're Taking the Hobbits to Isengard! [Arch Road Trip Thread]

ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito!Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Appropriate Theme Music

Specifically these hobbits
10626_627405746904_21313380_37037543_3988474_n.jpg

And their cat
19667_642838434674_21313786_37660015_1893816_n.jpg

We have to get from the right side of the map to the left side of the map!

mapsz.jpg

We humbly request couches, beds, extra rooms, or backyards in which to sleep.

Also I wanna hang out with you lot and see A M E R I C A !!!

If you are interested in hanging out and/or offering couches, PM me and/or maek poast in the thread and I will invite you to the map, wherein you can then add your location so that I can attempt to plan my trip!

Our current plan is to begin this adventure the last week in July (somewhere in the area of the 23rd to 25th) and to arrive in Pullman the beginning of August, although we may shift it back a little to "Leave around July 20th, get to Pullman at the end of July" depending on how things go.

Arch on

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jesus Christ. Everyone in those pictures has an intense expression on their faces...
    ...Even the portraits...
    ...even the cat...
    ...ESPECIALLY the fucking cat

Smile FFS

Deebaser on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You look younger in the second picture.

ITT: We learn that the passage of time makes people unhappy, and cats surprised.

[e]That's a pretty long journey, why not continue to Seattle? I've heard it's cool. Not my cup of tea, but I'm strange.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited June 2011
    Wait, the second picture was taken after the first!

And the reason I'm not going all the way to seattle is that this road trip is actually more of an "I'm Moving Across the Nation" trip.

I'm going to grad school in Pullman

Arch on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I don't have an axe, but I do have an actual bed (as opposed to just a couch) and am north of Chicago. I also have two cats, two dogs, and four ducks, so your cat would feel right at home/be terrified the entire time it was there.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a bed, but I can't take the cat. Mostly because my father is super allergic and has bad asthma. So no cats. Then throw in my 5 dogs, at least 1 of which thinks a cat is a thing to chase and bite. So not sure that will work out. Also I will be in grad school at that time but if you do end up in the Denver area I will find time to meet up with you guys.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh I guess they're letting anyone take road trips these days

Also if your travels take you way south, I have a kinda spacey living room, but two plus cat would def be a little cramped. Ps I'm in new orleans

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It saddens me you will not be coming near us. Have a safe trip, though.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm certain I could locate a place in Austin, Texas for you, but our dogs would consume your kitty... they do not like kitties we don't own.

spool32 on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    You midget mother fucker. Not coming up to the north east is like, what the fuck.

You disappoint me, Arch.

JustinSane07 on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait what? No Northeast? Nooooooo.

SkyGheNe on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wow, no northeast

what a piece of shit getting me all excited with the best thread title ever

(you're not really a piece of shit, have an FUN and SAFE trip! take many pictures, that should be a rule)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You can totally stay with us.

Hawaii is so on the way from SC to WA. DO IT!

radroadkill on
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hate living in one of the corners of the country that isn't Washington. Nothing comes to me. No neat events, concerts, or road trips.
    :(
    Everyone I know and don't know is going to Washington! ARGH

Skoal Cat on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You can totally stay with [strike]us[/strike] me.

[strike]Hawaii[/strike] San Francisco is so on the way from SC to WA. DO IT!

Also:

the hobbits the hobbits the hobbits
    to isengard
    to isengard

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    I hate living in one of the corners of the country that isn't Washington. Nothing comes to me. No neat events, concerts, or road trips.

Don't worry, Washington is overrated and the joke is on them.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Skoal Cat wrote: »

Don't worry, Washington is overrated and the joke is on them.
    And jealousy rears its ugly head.

If you want to crash in Seattle, I have a couch, broheim. But I doubt you do.

Thanatos on
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    hey I've got a place you can hang out in

OH WAIT FUCK YOU'RE LEAVING

kaleedity on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I too am not close to your route and cannot offer you a place to stay, but if you'd like to visit I can definitely show you guys the... sites? We don't really have sites.

Bama on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If for some reason you pass through western Kentucky, I can offer a place to stay.

I will also cook tasty, tasty vegetarian dinners.

Kilroy on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Bama wrote: »
    I too am not close to your route and cannot offer you a place to stay, but if you'd like to visit I can definitely show you guys the... sites? We don't really have sites.

well you could always just burn an impromptu cross or something.

something festive

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Do you know what route you are taking? Google Maps seems to indicate the optimal route is to head north-west to Fargo, ND and then head straight west. Which means you probably won't hit very many forumers...

Premier kakos on
    edited June 2011
    So many people so angry! I didn't know I had this kind of power!

T: Kakos- Actually, I don't! I am most definitely not going to go the fastest way if that means missing out on hanging out with people.

I guess I wasn't clear- the route isn't planned yet! I wanted to get a feel for where people lived to see how I could manage to hit the most people.

I mean, yeah sorry northeast. Kinda skippin' you guys completely

T: Bama/kilroy where exactly do you guys live in your places? So far it seems I have "Chicago" as a spot to hit, but I'm could possibly head Westerly to Kentucky/Alabama parts....if you don't feel like publicly posting your address, PM me and I will see how that affects the route I plan out

Arch on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cincinnati is on one of many possible routes to I-90. Though really, you shouldn't get on that until after Illinois, on account of toll roads.

Should you come my way, i can offer company, beers and vegetables but no alas, no couch.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited June 2011
    I live in Boaz, AL. It's about an hour from both Birmingham and Huntsville which would be places actually worth seeing. Huntsville is farther north, but Birmingham is along I-20 which might make it more convenient.

Bama on
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Listen to Feral:
    Feral wrote: »
    You can totally stay with [strike]us[/strike] me.

[strike]Hawaii[/strike] San Francisco is so on the way from SC to WA. DO IT!

He has the right idea. Come over hereeeeeee. At least for a visit.

Shivahn on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I live in Boaz, AL. It's about an hour from both Birmingham and Huntsville which would be places actually worth seeing. Huntsville is farther north, but Birmingham is along I-20 which might make it more convenient.

If you go to fucking Boaz, AL then I'll talk to my wife about letting you crash in Nashville for the night (if we're in town, I'm taking a vacation in July) so you can hang out with someone from Alabama who escaped to a better state.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited June 2011

If you go to fucking Boaz, AL then I'll talk to my wife about letting you crash in Nashville for the night (if we're in town, I'm taking a vacation in July) so you can hang out with someone from Alabama who escaped to a better state.
    oh hey how about those anti-discrimination laws and that "don't say gay" bill :wink:

Bama on
    edited June 2011

oh hey how about those anti-discrimination laws and that "don't say gay" bill :wink:
    Still an upgrade from Alabama.

A very small upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless.

Thanatos on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

Hey, apparently Florida has slaves, so we're all ahead of the game there.

Seriously though Arch, when will you be hitting the Southeast?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

Hey, apparently Florida has slaves, so we're all ahead of the game there.

Seriously though Arch, when will you be hitting the Southeast?
    That's where he's escaping from.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited June 2011
    Kilroy wrote: »
    If for some reason you pass through western Kentucky, I can offer a place to stay.

Where in western kentucky?

Because I was looking around at some of the stuff people threw out as potential landing spots

Check it

mapz2.jpg

(picture should be an editable map and people in the thread should put where they are with sticky things if you can offer place to sleep)

Arch on
    edited June 2011
    Also yeah AH I am already in the southeast

I am like the southest east

almost

Arch on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arch, I came up with a route that should make everyone happy
    archx.jpg
    Travel time: approximately 9 months nonstop

Dunadan019 on
    edited June 2011
    You know that doesn't look too bad until you get past Salem.

Bama on
    edited June 2011
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Arch, I came up with a route that should make everyone happy
    archx.jpg
    Travel time: approximately 9 months nonstop
    Oh, sure, Dunadan, just ignore the Canadians.

Fucking asshole. :P

Thanatos on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    smart to dodge rhode island

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arch come to San Antonio when you want to do nothing

Tam on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arch wrote: »

Because I was looking around at some of the stuff people threw out as potential landing spots

Murray! I added it in.

It is rather out of the way, though. Especially so if you're going to hit Nashville and Louisville.

Kilroy on
    edited June 2011
    Arch wrote: »

Murray! I added it in.

It is rather out of the way, though. Especially so if you're going to hit Nashville and Louisville.

I'm kinda still testing the waters- I have no idea where I am hitting...the closest I have to a "hard" thing is Matt's house.

Murray and by proxy you are still possibilities, and since you (and AH) are some of the more...solid? house volunteers we could very well land there.

I realize I am being terribly evaisive and dodgy with this, but that is because I don't really have a plan beyond drive west, and sleep at Matt's house.

Arch on