As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: June-July is done, go to the next thread

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    They're argument is, specifically, that the guy was mean to them. Oh, and he had images that made the site look similar to Modern Warfare sites. Which is applicable under parody.

Activision's only hope is to really play up the fact that he, very briefly, had the site redirect to EA. That, or the whole "confusion" thing. And if a MW3 fan watched that Life of Brian dub and thought it was the real thing and was confused by it, then congrats, Activision. You know your demographic well.

The guy made it really easy for Activision when he redirected to the BF3 website. That is probably why they just jumped on him now. It could easily be found that he is using the domain name to advertise for BF3 and not just parody MW3.

I mean, parody is one thing, but when you're using their trademark to tell people to go buy their competitor's game, that is clearly bad faith. (Like when he made the site look similar to the MW site, which you mentioned, and put a message telling people to go buy BF3 instead, which you didn't mention).

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    They're argument is, specifically, that the guy was mean to them. Oh, and he had images that made the site look similar to Modern Warfare sites. Which is applicable under parody.

Activision's only hope is to really play up the fact that he, very briefly, had the site redirect to EA. That, or the whole "confusion" thing. And if a MW3 fan watched that Life of Brian dub and thought it was the real thing and was confused by it, then congrats, Activision. You know your demographic well.

Actually, the complaint came after the redirect. They disliked the site's existence, but couldn't do much more than ask him to remove copyrighted materials.

He got snippy at a request apparently and redirected to Battlefield 3 (however briefly), which is the (completely valid) basis of their 'bad faith' claim.

You may dislike the idea Sheep, but this time Activision seems legally in the right. Arbitration probably doesn't care that he was angry for a day or so.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Welp, another silly, hair-splitting fight has broken out on this thread. Which means it's time for me to do the equivalent of squirting a cat with a squirt gun: post some crap about social gaming.

Namely, how Amazon is getting into it with some game designer you've never heard of.
    Amazon has recently hired a noted RPG designer, Jonathan Tweet, to design a social game for them. Amazon did not answer requests for further information, and the game remains unannounced expect for an entry on Jonathan Tweet's LinkedIn profile. Tweet did confirm his new role to IndustryGamers. This move follows the release this May of Amazon's Appstore for Android and Amazon's release of their mystery and thriller book publishing imprint Thomas & Mercer.

Jonathan Tweet is a noted paper-and-pencil RPG designer. He's best known for his contributions to Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition, and among RPG fans for his creation of the influential titles Ars Magica and Everway, along with many other RPG credits. Most recently he worked at Gamehouse on various Facebook games. His choice as lead designer for a social game leads immediately to speculation that Amazon's social game might have RPG elements.

Amazon has already been a game publisher since their October 2008 purchase of Reflexive Entertainment, a longtime developer of downloadable games (for a variety of platforms) such as Big Kahuna and Airport Mania 2. Amazon has sold those downloadable games, along with many others, through their Digital Services division. Amazon's presence in the digital distribution of games has been minor compared to Steam and other distributors. Recently Amazon started meeting or beating Steam's sale prices, in a likely bid to raise their profile among game shoppers.

Developing and publishing a social game is a much different proposition than creating a typical downloadable PC game, though. A social game is a continuous process, where the publisher is developing new content and tweaking existing content based on user data. Audience size is critical, especially when using a free-to-play model. Unless you have an audience in the millions, you can't expect to make any significant money when a typical social game has between 1% and 5% of the players paying anything at all.

Moreover, social game companies (such as Zynga) typically depend on having multiple game titles to cross-market to their customer base. When players get bored with one of their social games, they can entice them into another one. Current customers are the best prospective customers for other games you offer. Amazon should know that unless they plan to enter the social gaming market in a big way, with significant marketing and multiple games, they would be unlikely to have any great success.

Amazon's approach with its new book publishing line, Thomas & Mercer, may be indicative of how they plan to approach gaming. Amazon has picked up all the rights to 47 books from best-selling author Ed McBain, which should give them a significant presence in that market.

Combining this information with Amazon's push into creating their own Android Appstore, and the rumored new Android tablets they will be producing, I suspect Amazon may plan on rolling this new social game right into their new hardware. It's certainly the obvious way to build a big audience for a game very quickly, and having free games on your hardware would be an added selling point for the hardware. Clearly the whole idea of Amazon creating their own Android tablet is not to build the best technology, but instead to get their storefront and all the content they sell into the hands of a large audience who are already used to buying from Amazon.

If Jonathan Tweet can create a social game with strong RPG elements that could be very appealing to a lot of users, and help attract more of an audience to Amazon's entire game line. While it's not certain until we see more sign's of Amazon's investment in games, Amazon could be very serious indeed about building a competitive game publishing business. Amazon certainly has the resources and the audience to compete with any player in the game business.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/amazon-could-challenge-zynga-with-new-social-game/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Carmack also talked a bit about the evolution of the market from first-person to third-person, the rise of Call of Duty and the importance of frame rate.

"It’s interesting that over the course of it, once FPS kind of got out of being the sole property of id, it seemed clear to me that when we reached a certain level of visual fidelity, that third person was going to have certain significant advantages because you can use the tools of the director - these established, finely honed cinematography skills to do things in games that we never did before. And I was more or less expecting third person to be the more popular set of genres and indeed it was looking like, with Gears’ success, that even in the serious action [genre], that it might end up trending more that way," he offered.

"And I’ve actually been really happy seeing the success of Call of Duty, which is also a 60 fps game, which would validate some of my [thinking]. That was one of our big arguments internally as we were stressing over that, like, ‘Y’know, I think some of the success of Call of Duty is because of how good it feels.' (snip)

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/doom-creator-fires-back-at-devs-with-snooty-attitude/

Bless you John Carmack! Seriously this. I'm not a big fan of CoD, mainly because it's mostly turned into a "multiplayer serious business for dorm mates" but the thing I can't deny is how fluid it is at 60fps even on the consoles. It's one thing they definitely got right. I'm totally ready for good developers to start paying attention to performance and not just awesome visuals (which unfortunately need to be scaled down to low frame rates).

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Honestly, reason I like MW's mp is because it is pretty fast-paced and when you really think about it there aren't that many fast shooters out there.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Remember that whole "Xbox first party is teh bestest!" ordeal from before.

Our resident favorite Pachter chimed in with his opinion.
    "Xbox CFO Dennis Durkin is a great guy, and is paid to be loyal to his Microsoft family. I think Nintendo's first-party content is vastly superior to either other console manufacturer's, and don't think that either Sony or Microsoft would really dispute that." - Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    I know that this will never happen, but can I please ask people to use Hz as opposed to fps? Using fps to describe an element of an fps is annoying, especially if you're gonna use both in the same quote.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    Meanwhile, Sony's working on lining up more exclusives.
    Sony has signed the Middlesbrough, England-based team at Double Eleven, currently working on the PlayStation Vita release of Little Big Planet, to develop titles exclusively for Sony platforms, with a focus on the Vita.

The deal will not impact the development of the Little Big Planet Vita port, which was demonstrated at June's E3 show, but will result in Double Eleven starting development on unnamed new titles for Sony platforms.

"For us to become strong partners with Sony at such a crucial stage in our own development underlines the unswerving commitment we have made to the quality of our production," Double Eleven CEO Lee Hutchinson said in a statement.

Double Eleven was formed in early 2010 by Lee Hutchinson and Matt Shepcar, former senior developers at Grand Thetf Auto: Chinatown Wars maker Rockstar Leeds, with a stated focus on iPhone development.

The company currently has 30 employees, and is currently hiring for positions ranging from artists and programmers to QA testers and systems administrators. The studio has yet to release a game.

Sony has been showing additional interest in securing exclusive titles recently, last week unveiling a plan to invest $20 million in exclusives for the PlayStation Network platform.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35960/Sony_Signs_Little_Big_Planet_Vita_Devs_Double_Eleven_To_Exclusivity_Deal.php

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SkyEye wrote:
    I know that this will never happen, but can I please ask people to use Hz as opposed to fps? Using fps to describe an element of an fps is annoying, especially if you're gonna use both in the same quote.

.... we know what is being talked about. I mean, yea, it reads weird, but it's hardly a big deal.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    The deal will not impact the development of the Little Big Planet Vita port, which was demonstrated at June's E3 show, but will result in Double Eleven starting development on unnamed new titles for Sony platforms.

For some reason this sentence just amuses me. It's like they're saying the "downside" of this deal is that they'll be developing new games for Sony.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote:
    SkyEye wrote:

.... we know what is being talked about. I mean, yea, it reads weird, but it's hardly a big deal.

Context is everything.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437866

Oh, Rovio, you little scamp! :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Huh. So you can't update to the version that works better if you owned it before Rovio self-published? That could be related to switching publishers, though it still sucks a big one.

I guess time will show if Angry Birds actually got features that minis aren't usually allowed to have, but I wouldn't be shocked if Sony granted them an exception. They ARE Angry Birds, after all.

• Options
    Out of curiosity...is Angry Birds on XBLA or going to be? I only ask because I saw Rook with Angry Bird cheevos...and I don't remember them saying anything about it coming to XBLA.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Out of curiosity...is Angry Birds on XBLA or going to be? I only ask because I saw Rook with Angry Bird cheevos...and I don't remember them saying anything about it coming to XBLA.

Yep.

http://mashable.com/2010/11/24/angry-birds-console/

Though I'd be willing to bet Rook's Angry Birds cheevos come from the Windows Phone 7 version. Xbox Live just sort of lumps 360 and WP7 cheevos together with no easy indication of what came where.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

"People who bought Angry Birds when Chillingo published it on the store get dicked, as the new version actually performs, which the other one barely did."

Are they saying that the new version plays better? That makes me kind of angry because I bought it for my parents to play on their PS3 and was disappointing when I found out the physics in that version were messed up.

Between Angry Birds, Seasons, The Mighty Eagle, and the PSP Minis version, I'm starting to feel horrible about giving Rovio $6.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35936/Interview_Ubisofts_Guillemot_Talks_Early_Adoption_Of_Wii_U.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)
    And, ever the early adopter, Guillemot says he also believes that by having Nintendo kick off its next generation next year, Sony and Microsoft are going to be forced to roll out their new systems a bit earlier than they had hoped to.

"I think it's sending the message that the new transition is going to happen – and we're going to have new machines coming soon," he says.
    "You will see more high definition games this year and next, thanks to the fact that we've done well with casual games like Just Dance," he says. "To make Just Dance, it's just 1/10th the cost of Assassin's Creed."

Those revenues also let the company explore gaming tie-ins, such as television and film. Ubisoft's Motion Pictures team already has three film projects on its plate – focusing on Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell - as well as one television project (a Rabbids venture).

Ironically, those two industries have a lot in common with core and casual games – the success of one can fuel the expansion of the other.

"We have to make sure we can find the right financing, because on the television side, very often you finance 100 percent," says Guillemot. "Film is a lot less risky than the television industry, but it's often less rewarding. The risk is making sure you work within your budget and achieve the quality you want."

• Options
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-20-new-xbox-and-playstation-4-what-to-expect-article
    Retarded hype should be in full force in a year from the sounds of it. It has already begun thanks to the "Avatar" stuff.
    Microsoft is rumoured to be preparing a reveal of its next Xbox at E3 2012. Eurogamer has recently had this claim backed up by a number of game industry sources.

Eurogamer has also heard a 2014 release of the next Xbox was planned by Microsoft, but this has now been brought forward to 2013 as a result of Nintendo's confirmed 2012 launch of the Wii U.

Additionally, sources have indicated to us that larger publishers and developers already have target specs of both the next Xbox and PlayStation to help them with their development.

• Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    I wonder what the initial failure rate will be?

If it's anymore powerful than the Xbox 360 it's going to be throwing off alot more heat.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Failure rate was due to shitty hardware design that wasn't able to deal with the heat, rather than the device producing too much heat. (I meant, the PS3 produced about as much as far as I know.) Current 360's have an emergency "shut your fucking console off" error that pops up if they get too hot, so I imagine the next console will have it too.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Sigtyr wrote:
    If it's anymore powerful than the Xbox 360 it's going to be throwing off alot more heat.

That's not true at all.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Well since the 360's hardware problems ended up costing Microsoft so much money (both from fixing broken consoles and lost sales due to concern), I would expect the next console to be built like a tank.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    Well since the 360's hardware problems ended up costing Microsoft so much money (both from fixing broken consoles and lost sales due to concern), I would expect the next console to be built from a tank.

fix'd olol

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    2013 seems too late of a launch for me since they'll surely be releasing along with the PS4. They recognize the benefits from an early release. And the downsides, I suppose.

They need to get their house in order, though, and get some exclusive titles secured.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    Well since the 360's hardware problems ended up costing Microsoft so much money (both from fixing broken consoles and lost sales due to concern), I would expect the next console to be built from a tank.

fix'd olol

Microsoft engineers chasing down Wanderlei Silva as we speak.

Let's see how many people read Seanbaby's articles about MMA on Cracked!

forumsig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    2013 seems too late of a launch for me since they'll surely be releasing along with the PS4. They recognize the benefits from an early release. And the downsides, I suppose.

We would have seen something by now year if they had enough for a 2012 launch. While it would probably benefit them to put something out at the same time as the WiiU, it probably doesn't fit into their production schedule.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    And again, they are selling more 360s now than ever. They can afford to wait for Sony to play their hand.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sheep wrote:

We would have seen something by now year if they had enough for a 2012 launch. While it would probably benefit them to put something out at the same time as the WiiU, it probably doesn't fit into their production schedule.

They probably COULD reveal the console this year. There are still a few opportunities. But you're right. They're probably gonna maximize the Kinect potential for the 360 and probably figure that Nintendo will soundly abandon anything other than casual gaming and Zelda/Mario fans so beating them to the punch might not be a big deal.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:
    Sheep wrote:

They probably COULD reveal the console this year. There are still a few opportunities. But you're right. They're probably gonna maximize the Kinect potential for the 360 and probably figure that Nintendo will soundly abandon anything other than casual gaming and Zelda/Mario fans so beating them to the punch might not be a big deal.

Well, aside from the fact that there's already been practically more non-casual games announced for the Wii U than have actually been released for the Wii.

Sure, the 360 is selling aces right now, but the Wii U has thrown the monkey wrench of uncertainty into the mix. I think both Sony and Microsoft will probably release new consoles in response sooner rather than later. Of course, the big question now is what the two of them will do to try to get people to buy new consoles, since adding extra horsepower and calling it a day doesn't cut it anymore.

• Options
    I can't wait for third parties to blow it with the WiiU launch period as much as they did with the 3DS launch.

• Options
    Nuh-uh!

Didn't you see the other thread. Sony are dropping out of the race! :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Couscous wrote:
    I can't wait for third parties to blow it with the WiiU launch period as much as they did with the 3DS launch.

Given what's (apparently) happening with the 3DS, that's a distinct possibility.

Then again, Japanese devs seem to be more excited overall about Vita, western devs go "pfffffttt" toward handhelds in general, and smartphones are a force to be reckoned with.

Edit: Heh, that thread was hilarious. "It's true guys, the PS3 will be the last Sony console!"

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Sure, the 360 is selling aces right now, but the Wii U has thrown the monkey wrench of uncertainty into the mix.

Not really.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:
    Sure, the 360 is selling aces right now, but the Wii U has thrown the monkey wrench of uncertainty into the mix.

Not really.

Why not?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Sheep wrote:

Not really.

Why not?

Because it's a screwdriver of uncertainty, duh.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Sheep wrote:

Not really.

Why not?

Cause it has a ginormous controller and is made by Nintendo aka "what is online?"-do.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...it's about a year and a half from release and by then Microsoft will probably have announced their next console anyway for one.

• Options
    Klyka wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Sheep wrote:

Not really.

Why not?

Cause it has a ginormous controller and is made by Nintendo aka "what is online?"-do.

Then again, based on the E3 announcements the devs don't seem to mind the ginormous controller. Of course things could change, but for now the Wii U is getting more core game interest than the Wii ever did. Which is where the uncertainty comes in... should Microsoft launch a new system soon to compete with it, or ride out the huge Kinect boost?

In other news: uh oh.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/07/crush-shinobi-3ds-delay/#more-37299
    Sega gave software-starved Nintendo 3DS owners some bad news on Tuesday, saying that it would delay the release of two of its upcoming 3DS games, Crush 3D and Shinobi, to February 21, 2012 and November 15, 2011 respectively.

While Sega gave no official reason for the delay (and declined to comment further to Wired.com), one of the games’ developers made no bones about it. In an interview published Monday on Gamesindustry.biz, Zoe Mode studio chief Paul Mottram said his game Crush was bumped thanks to sluggish sales of the $250 handheld.

“But now we’re finding that everyone is not knowing what platform is going to succeed — we did our first 3DS title — we got Crush onto that, but we had to delay the release of that because of the success of the platform,” he said.

Call it the Catch-3DS. Good software sells gaming hardware, but risk-averse software makers won’t release games unless the hardware sells.

Nintendo originally announced that Crush 3D would be one of the first games released on the Nintendo 3DS. Sega showed the game and Shinobi at E3 in June.

The 3DS launched in March with a weak software lineup and a relatively high price tag. A month later, Nintendo said that sales were not up to its own expectations.

3DS has several distinct challenges; Nintendo faces increased competition from smartphone gaming, and there is a certain degree of sticker shock associated with the device’s cutting-edge glasses-free 3-D display.

But the primary mover of game hardware is game software. As analyst Michael Pachter said following Nintendo’s April sales report, the Kyoto gamemaker could turn things around with “compelling software.”
    “Nintendo is far from emergency mode.”

Sega surely understands that Crush and Shinobi are not system-sellers. They’re the sort of B-games that someone who already has a 3DS would buy to supplement his library, not the thing that causes one to drop $250 on a new machine.

Based on historic sales data, the kinds of games that would cause fence-sitters to drop the cash on 3DS are Mario Kart and Super Mario, both due this holiday season. It’s also important to note that this year will be 3DS’ first Christmas, the period in which Nintendo does a colossal amount of its business.

Jesse Divnich, vice president of analyst services at Electronic Entertainment Design and Research, says he expects 3DS’ install base to increase from 3 million to 9 million this year.

“I don’t believe Nintendo has to do anything quite yet,” he said in an email. “They are far from ‘emergency’ mode.”

The irony is that publishers often complain that they’re crowded out of the market on Nintendo platforms because Nintendo’s own games are too strong. At this point, Nintendo is releasing practically nothing on 3DS; by that logic this is the perfect time to release games. But when push comes to shove, it seems like publishers don’t want to release their games until there are more systems out there — that is, until Nintendo sweetens the pot by releasing their own killer app software.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Sheep wrote:

Not really.

Why not?

Because there's not much that's uncertain about the WiiU and there's plenty that we know well enough about Nintendo.