Options

Video Game Industry Thread: June-July is done, go to the next thread

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ubisofts-online-pass-named-priced/082392
    Starting with the release of Driver: San Francisco on September 2nd, Ubisoft is to introduce its own version of EA’s Online Pass.

Called the Uplay Passport, it will come in the form of a one-time use code in the box. This can then be redeemed online to unlock multiplayer online functionality and select other content.

Those who buy a Uplay passport game pre-owned can buy a new Uplay Passport code for £7.99 on PSN or 800 Microsoft Point on Xbox Live. Uplay Passport enabled titles will sport a logo on the box.

However, as bemoaned by MCV earlier this month, the reasons given for the introduction are less than convincing.

“The Uplay Passport is a new program designed to provide players with access to bonus content, exclusive offers, and online multiplayer play,” the blurb reads.

Passed through an honesty filter that reads as follows: “The Uplay Passport allows us to begin monetising the pre-owned sector, meaning that as a publisher we’re no longer locked out of a huge slice of the games market.”
    Hahaha.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Cross-posting this from the Mega Man thread, because seriously, WTF Capcom?

@kdawg3000 it's a shame the fans didn't want to get more involved :-( if we saw there was an audience for MML3 people might change minds

So it's all our fault there is no Mega Man Legends 3.

I was more shocked when the fucker actually said they expected the fans to make the game for them.

It was always going to be 'your' fault. Anything else they say on the matter should never be a surprise.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    plufim wrote:
    Nope, there is rampant speculation that it will only be as powerful or slightly more powerful than PS3/360.

And that's the message Nintendo sent with the third-party sizzle reel using video from another platform.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Well they were planning on blaming the fans when the "demo" didn't sell. So they kept with their plan sans "demo".

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Well if they felt that Legends 3 would probably not be a profitable project I can understand them not wanting to invest time and money in it. A relatively small group of core fans that really, REALLY wants it does not equal mass market appeal. In fact I'm pretty sure most gamers don't care much about the Mega Man Legends series. Average to good ratings and less than spectacular sales (I think? I could be wrong) doesn't seem like a good investment.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I don't think people are truly upset at the idea of Capcom canceling a game that they don't think will be profitable enough.

I think they're more upset at the 'saw it coming' quality of their insistence that the public needed to support it in some vague way or it would be canceled. Then it gets canceled.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote:
    In fact I'm pretty sure most gamers don't care much about the Mega Man Legends series.
    I don't even care about Mega Man at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    plufim wrote:
    Nope, there is rampant speculation that it will only be as powerful or slightly more powerful than PS3/360.

And that's the message Nintendo sent with the third-party sizzle reel using video from another platform.

That and that whole "Oh we had games to show but instead we wanted to show off the graphics in this strictly controlled demo reel."

Yeah.

Anyone remember all the bullshots Sony constantly handed out over the hype for the PS2?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I don't think people are truly upset at the idea of Capcom canceling a game that they don't think will be profitable enough.

I think they're more upset at the 'saw it coming' quality of their insistence that the public needed to support it in some vague way or it would be canceled. Then it gets canceled.

The biggest thing is just how stupid the entire project was. It wasn't "green-lit" and the developers were basically going to throw shit out there and hope it drew enough attention to get Capcom to actually pay them. That's a fucked up business model, I'm sorry.

Ultimately, it was always obvious Capcom had absolutely no faith in the project. It pisses me off that they cancelled it before the demo/prototype thing could be released though. That should have been easy money for them - especially given how barren the 3DS eShop currently is.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Everyone was lead to believe that the prototype was supposed to test the market, and that the response to it would determine if they would make the full game. Then they come out and say that the prototype was cancelled close to release because not enough people registered for a website that most didn't even know about. Capcom had some insane expectations where a huge portion of the buying populace registers for websites and follows every detail of development and helps market games. I mean, Halo only has 50k followers on twitter. Did they really expect more people to follow them than Halo?

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Capcom should do what everyone else is doing for a 2D game. Give the IP to WayForward and walk away.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote:

The biggest thing is just how stupid the entire project was. It wasn't "green-lit" and the developers were basically going to throw shit out there and hope it drew enough attention to get Capcom to actually pay them. That's a fucked up business model, I'm sorry.

They should have spent much more money in the "predevelopment" days like the creator of Dead Rising did in order to force them to basically develop the entire thing.

• Options
    Capcom should do what everyone else is doing for a 2D game. Give the IP to WayForward and walk away.

They tried that. Dark Void Zero was crap.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Starting with the release of Driver: San Francisco on September 2nd, Ubisoft is to introduce its own version of EA’s Online Pass.

Called the Uplay Passport, it will come in the form of a one-time use code in the box. This can then be redeemed online to unlock multiplayer online functionality and select other content.

Those who buy a Uplay passport game pre-owned can buy a new Uplay Passport code for £7.99 on PSN or 800 Microsoft Point on Xbox Live. Uplay Passport enabled titles will sport a logo on the box.

However, as bemoaned by MCV earlier this month, the reasons given for the introduction are less than convincing.

“The Uplay Passport is a new program designed to provide players with access to bonus content, exclusive offers, and online multiplayer play,” the blurb reads.

Passed through an honesty filter that reads as follows: “The Uplay Passport allows us to begin monetising the pre-owned sector, meaning that as a publisher we’re no longer locked out of a huge slice of the games market.”
    Hahaha.

Yeah great, Ubisoft jumping on board with this sorta shit. Of all the companies trying, they're probably going to be the least successful with it.

• Options
    Capcom and Konami have been doing a great job of making their Japanese studios go to shit this generation.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Warlock82 wrote:

Dark Void Zero was Other Ocean. WayForward makes gold and ponies (Every now and then...Contra 4!). Other Ocean makes CSI games and iOS Monkey Ball.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:

I haven't played it, but I heard mostly positive things about Dark Void Zero.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote:

Dark Void Zero was Other Ocean. WayForward makes gold and ponies. Other Ocean makes CSI games and iOS Monkey Ball.

No, I mean they tried to do a 2D game :P Capcom probably isn't smart enough to hire WayForward...

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Capcom and Konami have been doing a great job of making their Japanese studios go to shit this generation.

Don't forget, Square is kinda going down the shitter too. I dunno what's wrong with the Japanese devs but they need to get their shit together because they're on their way to a long bowing out.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Henroid wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Hahaha.
    Yeah great, Ubisoft jumping on board with this sorta shit. Of all the companies trying, they're probably going to be the least successful with it.
    Is this a trend that is actually working? Are they really yanking traditionally standard features and charging players a monthly fee to enjoy them?

It seems like a very cynical method of getting a few one-month subs whenever a game released. At worst, it's an attempt to get some artificial brand loyalty. "I could buy Battlefield 3, but then my Call of Duty Fool-and-His-Money Club subscription would be for naught!"

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    4BbHY.jpg
    2qm280g.jpg
    Twr0X.jpg
    endlesshistoryajvf.jpg
    Capcom Europe knows how to troll.

Couscous on
  • Options
    You can't buy community person meltdowns like that.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    What the hell. That guy is totally fired. No company responds that much or in that way to their followers, for good reason.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    My favorite is the '0' answer, the reply the guy gives to CapcomEuro after that is solid gold.

• Options
    http://i.imgur.com/0PcDF.png

You can't get that kind of shit from Nintendo's community people, no siree.

Move over, dead goat incident.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Hahaha.
    Is this a trend that is actually working? Are they really yanking traditionally standard features and charging players a monthly fee to enjoy them?

It seems like a very cynical method of getting a few one-month subs whenever a game released. At worst, it's an attempt to get some artificial brand loyalty. "I could buy Battlefield 3, but then my Call of Duty Fool-and-His-Money Club subscription would be for naught!"

Where do you see anything about a monthly subscription anywhere in that?

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Don't forget, Square is kinda going down the shitter too. I dunno what's wrong with the Japanese devs but they need to get their shit together because they're on their way to a long bowing out.

Square at least has Dragon Warrior to fall back on, at least in Japan (though I think it's doing decent here too now that they are fucking localizing them)

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:

As of right now I assume they were hacked just like Fox News was.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Couscous wrote:

I'd put the dead goat incident out of mind, thanks for dragging it back up. But I agree, at least!

• Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Yeah, that tweet with the number scale got me laughing. Anyways, that guy should not be allowed to tweet for any company with responses like those.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The "0" thing is indeed hilarious.. this dude keeps digging himself into a deeper hole..

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Square at least has Dragon Warrior to fall back on, at least in Japan (though I think it's doing decent here too now that they are fucking localizing them)

Wait, localizing things can lead to more markets? Capcom disagrees!

• Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    Does localization and shipment honestly cost that much?

I wish there was some sort of estimation as to what it would cost to translate say a Monster Hunter game and ship at least 100000 titles stateside.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I don't know if this looks really shitty or really awesome.

http://majornelson.com/2011/07/21/limited-edition-star-wars-console/
    Today, during a panel presentation at the 41st annual Comic-Con International, Xbox and LucasArts unveiled the first custom Xbox 360 console with Kinect featuring a limited edition Star Wars theme inspired by the beloved duo, R2-D2 and C-3PO, as well as the brand-new Podracing mode featured in the upcoming title Kinect Star Wars.

Here are the details for the bundle

Xbox 360 Limited Edition Kinect Star Wars Bundle

This first ever custom Xbox 360 and Kinect bundle includes an R2-D2 blue-and-white themed console, a custom Xbox 360 Wireless Controller inspired by C-3PO and the first ever white Kinect sensor. The bundle is set to debut alongside Kinect Star Wars this holiday, but is available now for pre-order through participating retailers. Priced at $449.99, the Xbox 360 Limited Edition Kinect Star Wars Bundle will include:

Kinect Star Wars game
    Custom R2-D2-themed Xbox 360 Console with custom sounds (Hear them (MP3) - > Power on and Tray eject)
    White Kinect Sensor
    Custom C-3PO-themed Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
    320 GB Hard Drive
    Xbox 360 Wired Headset
    Kinect Adventures game
    Exclusive downloadable content

Here are pictures of the new bundle

Pre-order the Xbox 360 Limited Kinect Star Wars Bundle

Kinect Star Wars brings the Star Wars universe to life like never before. Harnessing the controller-free power of Kinect for Xbox 360, Kinect Star Wars allows fans to physically experience training as a Jedi, using the Force and battling with a Lightsaber. Using full body motions, players can live out the ultimate Star Wars fantasy, no controller required.

Podracing Mode
    Previously shown content for the title includes the Jedi mode unveiled at E3; complete with Lightsaber combat and Force movement, the mode optimizes the ideal mix of gameplay feel and heroic animation through epic Jedi duels with an array of fan favorites from the Star Wars universe. The Kinect Star Wars’ Podracing game mode allows fans a chance to compete alongside the surviving racers of the Boonta Eve in recognizable pods and other unlockable vehicles native to the Star Wars universe.

5959694331_6032374118_z.jpg

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Couscous wrote:

Dead goat?

Also, more content please, some of us are blocked from twitter. :(

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Shouldn't the 360 be gold-plated and the controller more R2 looking? It looks kinda gaudy, but y'know, as a reluctant-as-of-late Star Wars fan, I think it's cool anyway. I don't feel I need it though, especially since the Kinect game looks like shit.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    korodullin wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Hahaha.

here do you see anything about a monthly subscription anywhere in that?
    Hm, I don't know where I got that idea from, but I am extremely cynical about the industry these days.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Dead goat?

Oohh, ooh hohoho. It was bad, Magic Pink.
    Sony threw a party somewhere in Europe for God of War and it involved a slaughtered goat, and I think the food was served out of its carcass.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Dead goat?

Oohh, ooh hohoho. It was bad, Magic Pink.
    Sony threw a party somewhere in Europe for God of War and it involved a slaughtered goat, and I think the food was served out of its carcass.

:O

What the fuck, Sony.

• Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Ah, that incident, I completely forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder of that uh... event?

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png