As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SOLVED]

Triple BTriple B Bastard of the NorthMARegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
At the end of April, I placed an order from the Valve Store for a few t-shirts. I paid for a mid-level shipping option, which was around 5-7 business days or somesuch. A few weeks later after several e-mails back and forth with Valve, I was informed that they *still* didn't have my items available to ship. By this point I had lost interest and asked them to cancel my order. Shortly thereafter, I received an e-mail stating that my order had been cancelled as per my request. A couple days later, I got another e-mail stating that my refund had been processed and the money had been placed back in my checking account (which I later confirmed with my bank.) This was around May 11th.

Fast-forward to today. UPS guy shows up at my door and hands me a package. "WTF?" I think to myself. "I don't remember ordering anything." I open it to find the three items I'd ordered (and subsequently cancelled) from Valve two months ago.

What are my legal obligations here? Do I keep the shit and write it off as their mistake? Do I have to contact Valve and ask them what the fuck?

tl;dr: I cancelled an order and got my money back, then they sent me the stuff anyway. What the fuck do I do?

Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
Triple B on

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In my experience the company, if they notice, will just write it off as their mistake. Which it is.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    At the end of April, I placed an order from the Valve Store for a few t-shirts. I paid for a mid-level shipping option, which was around 5-7 business days or somesuch. A few weeks later after several e-mails back and forth with Valve, I was informed that they *still* didn't have my items available to ship. By this point I had lost interest and asked them to cancel my order. Shortly thereafter, I received an e-mail stating that my order had been cancelled as per my request. A couple days later, I got another e-mail stating that my refund had been processed and the money had been placed back in my checking account (which I later confirmed with my bank.) This was around May 11th.

Fast-forward to today. UPS guy shows up at my door and hands me a package. "WTF?" I think to myself. "I don't remember ordering anything." I open it to find the three items I'd ordered (and subsequently cancelled) from Valve two months ago.

What are my legal obligations here? Do I keep the shit and write it off as their mistake? Do I have to contact Valve and ask them what the fuck?

tl;dr: I cancelled an order and got my money back, then they sent me the stuff anyway. What the fuck do I do?

You contact Valve and ask them what they would like you to do.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In my experience the company, if they notice, will just write it off as their mistake. Which it is.

This is a really great way to get yourself into a lot of trouble. Mistake or no, it doesn't mean those are yours now.

Esh on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did you wreck the box they came in? If not you could just seal it back up and return to sender.

In all honesty it's their fuck up and they probably will just write it off, but if you really don't want free stuff on your conscience just email valve and give them the opportunity to say what they want you to do. Goes without saying you should make sure it's at their expense.

Casual on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Casual wrote: »
    Did you wreck the box they came in? If not you could just seal it back up and return to sender.

In all honesty it's their fuck up and they probably will just write it off, but if you really don't want free stuff on your conscience just email valve and give them the opportunity to say what they want you to do. Goes without saying you should make sure it's at their expense.

They came in one of those flimsy...like, thin plastic "envelopes". The material was as thin as the cellophane around a pack of cigarettes, but dark in color so as not to allow you to see through it. It was loaded with tape, so I had little choice but to completely destroy it to get it open.

Anyway, I've e-mailed them and now all I can do is await response.

Triple B on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Esh wrote: »

This is a really great way to get yourself into a lot of trouble. Mistake or no, it doesn't mean those are yours now.

I don't know if UPS's applicable laws are the same, but the laws governing mail through USPS are explicit in that anything you have sent to you without your consent (and I would think that canceling an order would constitute lack of consent) then you can keep the items and it very much against the law for the company who sent them to charge you.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »

I don't know if UPS's applicable laws are the same, but the laws governing mail through USPS are explicit in that anything you have sent to you without your consent (and I would think that canceling an order would constitute lack of consent) then you can keep the items and it very much against the law for the company who sent them to charge you.

This was my initial impression, as well. Though I am no expert regarding the laws for this kind of thing, and another major dilemma is that it's Valve. I consider myself a very loyal Valve/Steam customer, and I want to do right by them. There are most certainly some companies I wouldn't feel bad about screwing over, but Valve isn't one of them.

Triple B on
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just call them. If they want to pay for return shipping, send the items back.

I wouldn't, however, pay out of pocket to return them. It's their mistake, so they should pony up.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Some quick Googling came up with...

In United States v. HELMS No. 96-1167 Crim. App. No. 31250 the appeals
    court issued this opinion:

"The mistaken delivery of property to an individual who realizes the
    mistake and simultaneously forms the intent to steal the property at
    the moment of receipt constitutes larceny at common law. W. LaFave &
    A. Scott, 2 Substantive Criminal Law § 8.2(g) at 342-43 (1986).
    Furthermore, where the individual does not realize the mistake at the
    time of receipt but realizes it later and then forms the requisite
    intent, there is a larceny as well."

Seems pretty clear cut to me. But I could be wrong.

EDIT: There's this, which MrDelish seems to be referring to, but it appears it's meant to for things like book and record clubs (remember those?) sending shit to people and then charging them even though no one wanted them in the first place.

39 USC Sec. 3009

-EXPCITE-

TITLE 39 - POSTAL SERVICE

PART IV - MAIL MATTER

CHAPTER 30 - NONMAILABLE MATTER

-HEAD-

Sec. 3009. Mailing of unordered merchandise

-STATUTE-

(a) Except for (1) free samples clearly and conspicuously marked
    as such, and (2) merchandise mailed by a charitable organization
    soliciting contributions, the mailing of unordered merchandise or
    of communications prohibited by subsection (c) of this section
    constitutes an unfair method of competition and an unfair trade
    practice in violation of section 45(a)(1) of title 15.

(b) Any merchandise mailed in violation of subsection (a) of this
    section, or within the exceptions contained therein, may be treated
    as a gift by the recipient, who shall have the right to retain,
    use, discard, or dispose of it in any manner he sees fit without
    any obligation whatsoever to the sender. All such merchandise shall
    have attached to it a clear and conspicuous statement informing the
    recipient that he may treat the merchandise as a gift to him and
    has the right to retain, use, discard, or dispose of it in any
    manner he sees fit without any obligation whatsoever to the sender.
    (c) No mailer of any merchandise mailed in violation of
    subsection (a) of this section, or within the exceptions contained
    therein, shall mail to any recipient of such merchandise a bill for
    such merchandise or any dunning communications.
    (d) For the purposes of this section, "unordered merchandise"
    means merchandise mailed without the prior expressed request or
    consent of the recipient.

Esh on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    E-mail whoever you were chatting with before, let them know you got the shirts.

99.999% chance they will tell you to keep them, no charge. Returning and processing them will cost them more than they paid for them.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Some quick Googling came up with...

In United States v. HELMS No. 96-1167 Crim. App. No. 31250 the appeals
    court issued this opinion:

"The mistaken delivery of property to an individual who realizes the
    mistake and simultaneously forms the intent to steal the property at
    the moment of receipt constitutes larceny at common law. W. LaFave &
    A. Scott, 2 Substantive Criminal Law § 8.2(g) at 342-43 (1986).
    Furthermore, where the individual does not realize the mistake at the
    time of receipt but realizes it later and then forms the requisite
    intent, there is a larceny as well."

Seems pretty clear cut to me. But I could be wrong.

I think that means "delivery to the wrong address/individual" when it says "mistaken delivery." When I worked at the USPS customer service center our articles were pretty clear that unsolicited/unwanted merchandise received by mail could be kept with no threat of having to pay any associated invoices.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    IANAL, but according to Snopes unordered merchandise sent to you can be treated like a gift.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    IANAL, but according to Snopes unordered merchandise sent to you can be treated like a gift.

This is specifically what the second thing I quoted refers to, but that's not what Valve is doing at all, so it doesn't really apply.

EDIT: Not that it matters, since the OP is doing the right thing and contacting Valve rather than trying to steal from them.

Esh on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think that means "delivery to the wrong address/individual" when it says "mistaken delivery." When I worked at the USPS customer service center our articles were pretty clear that unsolicited/unwanted merchandise received by mail could be kept with no threat of having to pay any associated invoices.
    This having been sent by a private carrier (UPS) really complicates things. I'm not certain what the proper "legal" answer is.

Don't be a dick, call up Valve and see if they will pay shipping for a return.

The likely answer for them will be "No." unless you ordered gold bars from them or something.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Vote for call Valve. They should either tell you to keep them or pay return shipping. You either get some free stuff or feel good for doing the right thing. Win-Win.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    -STATUTE-

What you've quoted proves what I said before, that unsolicited/unordered merchandise can be treated as a gift and doesn't need to be returned or paid for. OP wouldn't have anything at all to worry about if the item was sent by USPS. I don't know the laws concerning UPS, though, and can't find anything on google.

Regardless, I don't think Valve would have any right to demand he pay return shipping for the items.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    -STATUTE-

What you've quoted proves what I said before, that unsolicited/unordered merchandise can be treated as a gift and doesn't need to be returned or paid for. OP wouldn't have anything at all to worry about if the item was sent by USPS. I don't know the laws concerning UPS, though, and can't find anything on google.

Regardless, I don't think Valve would have any right to demand he pay return shipping for the items.

No, it doesn't. It was a mistake, not unsolicited. Go read Thanatos' link to get an idea what this is meant for. Read the last part as well. It was priorly ordered and consent was given, just cancelled after.

Anyhow, I'm out!

Esh on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As long as you make them pay for return shipping, they will likely let you keep the merch, since:

A) Free advertising having their shirts walking around

B) It would cost them less to just print some new shirts than for you to ship those back and for them to reprocess them into inventory

So, you did the right thing by letting them know. If they do ask for them back, make them pay for shipping since it's their fuckup.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    No, it doesn't. It was a mistake, not unsolicited. Go read Thanatos' link to get an idea what this is meant for. Read the last part as well. It was priorly ordered and consent was given, just cancelled after.

I'm aware of the invoice+unwanted merchandise scam but the law still applies to any "unwanted merchandise." The law doesn't cite intent at all so, mistake or not, it's still unsolicited. OP may have more obligation since it was sent UPS, but wouldn't had it been sent USPS. Regardless, Valve will probably say "don't bother returning it, just keep it" like most other retailers do with things like this.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You should contact Valve because they're likely to actually reply to your email. One of two things happened -- they didn't cancel your order in the actual shipping system, or they sent it to you gratis to account for the long wait.

Thanatos's post is essentially correct, though. You ordered these, then cancelled. They shipped anyway. Whoops! Enjoy your t-shirts. But it can't hurt to call them up.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I, for one, would like to hear a follow up to this. If they let you keep the shirts, it would be yet another reason to Serve the Newell.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Here's a question... OP, did you check your credit card statement? Maybe they also charged you!

spool32 on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    IANAL (just a law student) and am not giving legal advice.

Just to chime in, the case that Esh quoted earlier 1) was an appeal from a military court and 2) dealt with a service member erroneously receiving extra pay and failing to give it back. The statement of law cited from that case is likely still in effect but only deals with simple larceny (since that is what the service member was charged with under military law).

Basically, it doesn't apply in this case since there are quite a few factors that alter the "factual substratum" [lawyer talk] of the situation here.

Anyways, the smartest course was the one already taken - just ask Valve what their intent was. One thing is for sure though: they can't force you to pay for them now.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    Here's a question... OP, did you check your credit card statement? Maybe they also charged you!

Yeah, no I checked my bank and I still have all the money I should have. I'll post a follow up when I hear back from Valve in probably a few days. Thanks for all the help, duders. You are gents of the classiest order.

Triple B on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, just email them. Maybe they sent it as an apology for the inconvenience.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Email them, reference your order number, include the cancellation email, and ask them what they want to do. If the couple of t-shirts are worth the return freight cost to them, they'll ask for them back. If not, they'll probably tell you to keep them.

If they do ask for the shirts back, you should not be paying any return shipping charges or restocking fees, since it was their mistake. They should be issuing you a call tag, probably by email, that you'll print out and tape to the box, and UPS will come get it from your doorway on the designated day.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If they do end up saying "no don't send it back, our mistake, keep it" there might be tax implications as a gift. Not that it would be a very large amount but something to keep in mind.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If they do end up saying "no don't send it back, our mistake, keep it" there might be tax implications as a gift. Not that it would be a very large amount but something to keep in mind.
    While I'm not an accountant, the minimum value of gifts in order to be taxable is in the five-digit range.

So, unless this is a couple of palettes of T-shirts...

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heh. It's 2 t-shirts and a hoodie. Total value $84.something. Don't think I'll have to worry about taxes. :P

Triple B on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    While I'm not an accountant, the minimum value of gifts in order to be taxable is in the five-digit range.

So, unless this is a couple of palettes of T-shirts...

hehe, this is correct. Minimum value before parties need to declare recepit of a gift is $10,000 in a single tax year.

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, they replied to my inquiry today and they're sending FedEx to my house to pick up the shirts. Thing is, they want them in their original packaging. Which I do not have. Because it was little more than a goddamn plastic shopping bag wrapped completely in shipping tape. I e-mailed them back to ask them what they want me to do in this case.

Triple B on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    fedex will need them packaged somehow, so they'll probably ask you to at least do something or they won't be picked up

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    fedex will need them packaged somehow, so they'll probably ask you to at least do something or they won't be picked up

Yeah, you should go find a small, unmarked box that they'll all fit in. Stuff them inside along with the original packing receipt. Don't seal it up just yet in case Fed Ex needs to reference something on the receipt though.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The, uh...there's no return address on the packing slip. :?

Is that a problem?

Triple B on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The, uh...there's no return address on the packing slip. :?

Is that a problem?

Valve probably provided FedEx with the address and shipping label to use. I would just wait to hear back from them.

Esh on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, they replied to my inquiry today and they're sending FedEx to my house to pick up the shirts. Thing is, they want them in their original packaging. Which I do not have. Because it was little more than a goddamn plastic shopping bag wrapped completely in shipping tape. I e-mailed them back to ask them what they want me to do in this case.

Put them in a shopping bag, wrap the fuck out of it and send it off.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I don't think that's going to fly. What he's describing as the original packaging is actually quite a bit more durable than he makes it out to be. Since he opened a strange package and then discarded the packaging after realizing "Hey, these aren't mine.", I'd say he should probably get something a little more sturdy to ship the products back in.

Esh on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I don't think that's going to fly. What he's describing as the original packaging is actually quite a bit more durable than he makes it out to be. Since he opened a strange package and then discarded the packaging after realizing "Hey, these aren't mine.", I'd say he should probably get something a little more sturdy to ship the products back in.

It's not his job to spend time or money correcting their mistake. Nor is it particularly unreasonable that he opened a package delivered to him to find out what was inside. In short Valve are unreasonable if they expect him to have the original packaging in perfect condition, so they're just going to have to take whatever he has lying about.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Casual wrote: »

It's not his job to spend time or money correcting their mistake. Nor is it particularly unreasonable that he opened a package delivered to him to find out what was inside. In short Valve are unreasonable if they expect him to have the original packaging in perfect condition, so they're just going to have to take whatever he has lying about.

I would say that just by looking at it, feeling it, and realizing who the sender was, he should have realized right then and there what it was, emailed Valve, and never opened it. Also, throwing away the packaging after opening it? Yeah, he's got some responsibility. What he needs to do is spend the time and money correcting his mistake that he made by opening the package that was obviously mis-sent.

EDIT: Besides, I'm sure he has something a little more sturdy than a shopping bag lying around, so it's probably no big deal.

Esh on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PO BOX 1688
    Bellevue, WA 98009

Is not particularly telling, though. I've seen some pretty cryptic return-to addresses from online stores. Those little bubblewrap thingies are pretty durable despite their appearance.

Just grab a small box and shove them in. They're shirts not bombs.

He doesn't have any responsibility for their mis-shipment. There was no mistake made, he opened a package delivered to him. He probably did not take a knife and cut along the seam neatly for resealing. This is sad, unfortunately, but not really his problem they fucked up and that he didn't treat it like it was the holy grail. Before this spirals way the fuck out of control about what is and isn't his responsibility, the post office carries boxes that you can have for free.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.