As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microwave door broke

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
While in the middle of defrosting chicken I went to go check on it and when I pressed the door release button I heard a sort of snap or pop sort of noise. Now the button doesn't do anything and the door is pretty much locked shut on my chicken. I don't want to just try and open it up or anything as it isn't my microwave, currently house sitting at my brother's house.

It looks to be a Panasonic NN-SD697S. Is there any way to safely save the chicken?

KurnDerak on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You need to get that chicken out of the microwave, and next time defrost meat under cold water.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    You can defrost chicken in a microwave, because anything you need to defrost in the sink isn't going to fit in the microwave.

The door release mechanism is almost always mechanical, so it sounds like something physically broke or isn't as easy to do. Unplug the microwave and try pressing in the release really hard or just cycle it for a bit and see if something pops.

Otherwise your chicken is entombed forever.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, the good news is it sounds like a bad unit that will go break soon anyway, based on the reviews. Wait, that doesn't sound very good.

The real good news is that it's backed by Good Housekeeping. Read the link as to how your bro can get it fixed/replaced.

As for getting the chicken out, you may have pop the door, as it's busted anyway and you shouldn't use a microwave that doesn't close.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ended up having my dad bring over some of his tools since they used security torx heads on their screws, and didn't find any here. After weighing the options I figured trying to open it up was better than losing my chicken, since the microwave would most likely get tossed either way. We were able to see exactly where it broke. The lever part of the door release broke off of the base on one side, so it won't push on the release at all anymore.

Also, I am absolutely positive that this microwave is far past any warranty that wouldn't be life time.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would just buy him a new microwave. They are pretty cheap. You can find one for about $75. I know that it wasn't your fault, but you get some points for saying. "Hey, your microwave broke, gotcha a new one."

halkun on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    halkun wrote: »
    I would just buy him a new microwave. They are pretty cheap. You can find one for about $75. I know that it wasn't your fault, but you get some points for saying. "Hey, your microwave broke, gotcha a new one."

You would usually try to replace what you broke, and this one is currently listed at about $140. Check Consumer Reports/Guide for reliable models and see what sounds close.

The GH is two year warranty after it was purchased, but they may want to pursue it anyway, as GH gives the impression of not slapping their label on any old thing.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I, for one, am relieved you rescued the chicken.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    halkun wrote: »

You would usually try to replace what you broke, and this one is currently listed at about $140. Check Consumer Reports/Guide for reliable models and see what sounds close.

The GH is two year warranty after it was purchased, but they may want to pursue it anyway, as GH gives the impression of not slapping their label on any old thing.

There isn't really much difference between microwaves, as they're magnetron + metal box. If he wants to buy his brother a new one, all he really needs to do is just match the size. It's near impossible to replace these things with the same exact model anyway because those things are constantly changed and refreshed.

FyreWulff on