As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Allow me to show you the 3DS a bit

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drew-B wrote: »
    I still feel a little weird about the sentiment that Ocarina is superior to Twilight Princess after playing through Ocarina's revamped 3D iteration.

I sort of feel like TP is superior in every way, despite the shitty wolf bits. From dungeon complexity to world-size and detail, I just can't stand here and say "oh Ocarina is a better game"

Is there something I'm missing? Don't get me wrong, Ocarina is fantastic.

TP had none of the charm that almost every Zelda game has. It was incredibly washed-out and bland.

Ocarina is no longer the best overall package-- MM and WW both made vast improvements, with the latter being a particular favorite of mine, despite having some obviously cut dungeons and therefore a feeling of incompleteness.

Still, Ocarina is pretty much still the definitive version of Zelda, having an extremely "classic" feel to it and, as others said, laying the baseline for several gameplay and story tropes in the series and in other games. In that sense, it's historic.

To summarize, TP always felt like it was trying to be a Lord of the Rings movie (I'm not a huge fan), while Ocarina is just trying to be Zelda. Or not even trying, really. It just is.

Again, it has to deal with Hyrule's charm. There's a certain goofyness that Zelda games tend to have. It's a cartoonish world, and I felt like TP forgot that, Oocoos not withstanding.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Totes glad I didn't buy one at launch like I'd planned too. I still plan on getting one, but I'd like to wait for 3DSXLiteHandheldWiFiMagic version, by which time they'll have a better selection of games as well. I didn't realize they made a Luigi's Mansion sequel though. I loved the original, and it was even better after I heard about the theory that Luigi was a ghost himself.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    excuse me where the fuck is nintencats

Dogs > Cats, sorry

Centi. I thought we were friends.

How can you be so wrong?

Opinions.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Koshian wrote: »

I liked the part where the puppy jumped on his face.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    *shrug*

I just enjoyed the gameplay better and the game more as a whole. I didn't weigh as heavily what it wasn't or what it should have been or why it isn't true to the Zelda aesthetic. I'm a Zelda dilettante

Drew-B on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jimothy wrote: »

Dogs > Cats, sorry

Centi. I thought we were friends.

How can you be so wrong?

Opinions.

What the fuck would you do in Nintencats? Minigames where you try to pat it and hope it doesn't claw your hand off? watch it sleep? Play with it for a few minutes till it gets bored, and then watch it act like it never really cared for the game anyways?

I love my cats, but dogs are far more interesting to interact with.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    gettin a corgi as soon as i have time for a dog

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2011
    I still feel a little weird about the sentiment that Ocarina is superior to Twilight Princess after playing through Ocarina's revamped 3D iteration.

I sort of feel like TP is superior in every way, despite the shitty wolf bits. From dungeon complexity to world-size and detail, I just can't stand here and say "oh Ocarina is a better game"

TP had none of the charm that almost every Zelda game has. It was incredibly washed-out and bland.

See I think we just approached the games far too differently to really come to any agreement because I came to the exact opposite conclusion. I preferred TP's focus on characters and story--especially the first few hours of the game spent in your village--to OOT's "Hey I live in this same village of you and the most interesting thing I have to say for the rest of the game is that you can pick up rocks with 'A'"

Drew-B on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There was a deal for these last week. I paid $211 for the system, then did a buy one, get one half off deal for OoT and Ghost Recon. All together I thought it was worth the price.
    I've mostly been playing Zelda. It's still an amazing game and the new textures look gorgeous.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i bet nintendo's next console will bring things to the FOURTH dimension
    WHICH OF COURSE IS AQUASKIPPING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9bmLv6iUj4

unintentional on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you know what would look funny would be a corgi with a deep muzzle, like a mastiff

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man Civ Rev on the DS is dogshit. It's like a SNES game.

Civ Rev is straight boner-tits, you're like a SNES game.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Dogs > Cats, sorry

RV7EX.png

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    been playing OoT3D like damn. Gonna leave this place w/ Wifi (It's a pavilion!!) and go play it some more.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have yet to play twilight princess. I think my brother has a gamecube copy I can borrow but i have yet to be interested with all the other games i'm playing. The last new zelda game I played was phantom hourglass on DS, and between its touch control interface and exercise in minimalism I thought it was phenomenal. I might track down the spirit tracks sequel.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Campion wrote: »
    Oh man Civ Rev on the DS is dogshit. It's like a SNES game.

Civ Rev is straight boner-tits, you're like a SNES game.

I'm sorry but the DS version is piss poor. I thought it would at least be close to on-par with the iPod Touch version, which I also own in addition to the 360 version, and just about every other Civ game for PC. I actually had a store ship one in from another location because I couldn't find it after checking three or four different places

Believe me, when I say SNES game I mean because it's slow, choppy and clunky, not because it looks shitty. The iPod version really spoiled me.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    I have yet to play twilight princess. I think my brother has a gamecube copy I can borrow but i have yet to be interested with all the other games i'm playing. The last new zelda game I played was phantom hourglass on DS, and between its touch control interface and exercise in minimalism I thought it was phenomenal. I might track down the spirit tracks sequel.

Phantom Hourglass was a fantastic game. Spirit Tracks was ok, too.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You must have purchased the wrong game, because my copy is smooth and fast and really awesome.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Where can I get my hands on one of these for $200?

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Agahnim wrote: »

The future.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spoilered because I ended up writing way more words about Zelda than anyone actually wants to read
    TP has absolutely terrific level design. It has the best dungeons of any zelda hands-down.

that is about the only place that it excels though.

It's world is really dull and boring and there's no real point to exploring it, because all you're going to find is more rupees that you don't ever need for anything.

the 3d zeldas have generally been all about setting and atmosphere and generally manage to resonate in spite of their simplistic and repetitive stories. OoT shows you an idyllic, fun world with colorful and silly characters, and then turns it into a shithole where everyone is miserable and everything is terrible. It gives you a meaningful reason to get through the game other than just for its own sake. MM has a world where just about every single NPC has their own story and everyone is broken and sad, and through playing the game you can make those people happy and hopeful about the future and the whole experience sort of subtly weaves together themes about grieving and forgiveness. WW does something similar with themes of regret and the importance of being future-oriented.

All three games also have lots of secrets and mysteries scattered throughout their towns and overworlds that make you want to explore them. Sometimes you get a cool item or song out of it, and sometimes you get something that's mechanically nigh-on useless, like the Wedding Mask or the Song of Storms or a Gossip Stone telling you intimate knowledge of some random NPC. These things do nothing to help you out in the way money or heart pieces would, but they flesh out the world and make it seem more dense and three dimensional than it would be otherwise.

TP's got none of that. The entire game is go from point A to point B, and I guess if you want you can stop by that cave on the way and grab another 50 rupees. It also doesn't have a thematic framework underpinning everything the way WW and MM do. MM is about grief, and WW is about regret. I couldn't tell you what TP is "about" because the story is a total mess. You're right that there's some good character interaction during the first chunk of the game, but it doesn't really "say" anything, and the wheels totally fall off somewhere around the end of the third dungeon. The secret alliance or whatever are super-boring characters. They're basically just human shaped signposts that point you to the next dungeon, and the kids from Ordon all stop having anything to say too.

I think of OoT and I think of Lon Lon Ranch and Link running away crying from Saria or being totally flustered by how flirty young Ruto is or running from the Gorons trying to hug him. I think of MM and I think of all of the song of healing sequences and "we will face the dawn together." I think of WW and the whole big ending plays out in my mind. I think of TP, and I think of the neat levels, and have to take a second to think what the heck else was in that game.

Nothing out for the 3DS right now is enough to convince me to buy one yet. The OoT remake looks fantastic but a remake's not enough to justify buying a whole new console to me. I'll definitely get one somewhere down the road. Hopefully there'll be a price drop at christmas time.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

See I think we just approached the games far too differently to really come to any agreement because I came to the exact opposite conclusion. I preferred TP's focus on characters and story--especially the first few hours of the game spent in your village--to OOT's "Hey I live in this same village of you and the most interesting thing I have to say for the rest of the game is that you can pick up rocks with 'A'"

That's fine. In the real world, I associate with people that would tell me to leave the room if I suggested that MM or WW might be superior to OoT in some way. It is deeply entrenched in the nostalgia of most of our generation. I won't pretend to be free of bias.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    well la di fuckin da

Knob on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Agahnim wrote: »

Keep an eye on slickdeals.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's a good point, Speed. Goron Mines might be my favorite dungeon ever.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    this game where you are a tween with pointy ears in a green dress is better than that game where you are a tween with pointy ears in a green dress

Knob on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    CptKemzik wrote: »

Spirit Tracks blows

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've never really been able to get into the 3D Zeldas much. It's probably because I never owned an N64, so I pretty much skipped the whole dawn of the 3D, polygon-based era for Zelda and Mario. I just wanted some RPGs back then, man, and Quest 64 was not cutting the mustard.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Knob wrote: »
    this game where you are a tween with pointy ears in a green dress is better than that game where you are a tween with pointy ears in a green dress

oh are we doing that thing where we reduce something down to a one sentence summary to make it seem silly

sorry I didn't realize

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    woo i am speed racer and i am making a sarcastic post on the internet woooo

Knob on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    holy shit

that is an incredible impression

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    careful Speed, you'll get in trouble for having an alt account if you make it too obvious

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I CAN'T TELL WHICH ONE IS THE REAL SPEED RACER

I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE TO SHOOT

unintentional on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    look I am knob and I'm making a sarcastic post about sarcasm for some reason

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

SHOOT BOTH

THEN SHOOT THE ONE THAT COMPARES THE SHOOTING TO MSPA ONCE MORE

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited June 2011

SHOOT BOTH

THEN SHOOT THE ONE THAT COMPARES THE SHOOTING TO MSPA ONCE MORE

this guy gets it

unintentional on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    i just got this for my birthday + ocarina

its
    amazing

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The best Zelda game is Link's Crossbow Training, no one denies this.

LTM on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    my favorite zelda game is majora's mask

i don't care which one is the best

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2011
    my favorite zelda game is super smash bros. melee

unintentional on