As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

17810121321

Posts

  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ITT: Waiting for Google++ with slightly different syntax, vastly more power.

    Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Frem wrote: »
    You click the 'X' on 'Your circles', click again to focus the text field, and type in the name of the person. I'm not sure how this could be implemented with less fuss.

    Yes. But there's nothing saying "Your eyes only" about it.

    Echo on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    IF there is some kind of list or waiting system. I'll surely be added for an invite. sharkey (at) idoliside (dot) org (dot) uk for email.

    In payment, you may become some kind of aquaintance of mine. You won't regret it. :P

    Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    You click the 'X' on 'Your circles', click again to focus the text field, and type in the name of the person. I'm not sure how this could be implemented with less fuss.

    Yes. But there's nothing saying "Your eyes only" about it.

    But you know that when you post something on someone's wall on Facebook it's not for their eyes only, right? Any of the wall-owner's friends (or friends of friends, or more, depending on the wall-owner's settings) can see what you put on the wall.

    wonderpug on
  • JollusJollus Registered User
    edited July 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    You click the 'X' on 'Your circles', click again to focus the text field, and type in the name of the person. I'm not sure how this could be implemented with less fuss.

    Yes. But there's nothing saying "Your eyes only" about it.

    But you know that when you post something on someone's wall on Facebook it's not for their eyes only, right? Any of the wall-owner's friends (or friends of friends, or more, depending on the wall-owner's settings) can see what you put on the wall.

    After posting hit the little drop down menu and disable resharing. They need to surface that before you post.

    But if you really want to share something with someone, and only them, there is a built in IM client, or you could maybe just email them. Remember email?

    Jollus on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    semi related, is there any way to turn off autocomplete with google?

    this thing is actually making me hate googles basic webpage

    Barcardi on
  • HurtdogHurtdog Registered User
    edited July 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    ITT: Waiting for Google++ with slightly different syntax, vastly more power.

    I'm waiting for an Object Oriented social network where you collect friends like trading cards.

    Hurtdog on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    ITT: Waiting for Google++ with slightly different syntax, vastly more power.

    I'm waiting for an Object Oriented social network where you collect friends like trading cards.

    Twitter: the Gathering?

    Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    That would be an amazing 'facebook game' and I would buy the hell out of it if done right.

    Generate cards based on the statistics of your friend's profile or some such ala Monster Rancher.

    Tom Jones! I choose you!

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    ITT: Waiting for Google++ with slightly different syntax, vastly more power.

    I'm waiting for an Object Oriented social network where you collect friends like trading cards.

    Twitter: the Gathering?

    Pokefriend. Gotta catch them all.

    ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If there are any invites still available, I'd love to try Google+ out. My digital life is basically handled by Google already (Gmail, gchat, Picasa, Calendars, etc.), so the idea of combining all of these into + seems very convenient.

    EMAIL REMOVED UNTIL INVITES ARE BACK UP

    bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There's no quantity of invites to give. They're opening and closing it in different places.

    MKR on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    There's no quantity of invites to give. They're opening and closing it in different places.

    They're opening and closing the invite system or the "sign up by submitting your email to google" system? I've already done the latter.

    bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    bficky wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    There's no quantity of invites to give. They're opening and closing it in different places.

    They're opening and closing the invite system or the "sign up by submitting your email to google" system? I've already done the latter.

    There was a situation the other day where people in Berlin said they could get in but people elsewhere in Germany couldn't.

    MKR on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jollus wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    You click the 'X' on 'Your circles', click again to focus the text field, and type in the name of the person. I'm not sure how this could be implemented with less fuss.

    Yes. But there's nothing saying "Your eyes only" about it.

    But you know that when you post something on someone's wall on Facebook it's not for their eyes only, right? Any of the wall-owner's friends (or friends of friends, or more, depending on the wall-owner's settings) can see what you put on the wall.

    After posting hit the little drop down menu and disable resharing. They need to surface that before you post.

    But if you really want to share something with someone, and only them, there is a built in IM client, or you could maybe just email them. Remember email?

    I fucking support this opinion. Another e-mail-like service is completely unnecessary.

    Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2011
    I have a couple of businesses that I moved over to google apps.

    I cannot get them on the ground floor with google+ because of this.

    This is so retarded I don't even... gah.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    bficky wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    There's no quantity of invites to give. They're opening and closing it in different places.

    They're opening and closing the invite system or the "sign up by submitting your email to google" system? I've already done the latter.

    There was a situation the other day where people in Berlin said they could get in but people elsewhere in Germany couldn't.

    If use Google+ to send a message with people who are not using it, they'll get put in the queue for invites. I've gotten about six people in this way so far.

    Frem on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    And I am still getting the generic 'Keep me posted' screen.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User
    edited July 2011
    If anyone is able to invite, my email is FORUMNAME 7 AT gmail DOT com. I'll be honest, you'll probably regret it.

    Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    a handy little site to generate a real awesome URL to get people your Google+ info:

    gplus.to

    You put in your desired URL name (I used my real name, so people I meet can hopefully find it easily) and then copy and paste your long string of google+ ID numbers, and it generates it.

    So for anyone looking to add me, I'm at: gplus.to/mikemarks

    mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just found out, if you name someone in a post via links, you HAVE to share it with them. Awesome. Classy. Prevents being an asshole I guess.

    I learned this because I just saw Tom, Tom from MySpace - the very first social networking friend I ever had, is on Google+.

    So I added him.

    And now Tom is my constant. In case of nosebleeds, find Tom.

    mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • JollusJollus Registered User
    edited July 2011
    Yeah I saw gplus.to earlier today and thought it was a pretty good idea. Almost thought it was a google thing. Maybe google with do something with their goo.gl URL shortener. Maybe make it goo.gl/+username. You would still need to have people register their preferred names, kinda like Facebook does now.

    Jollus on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    So how long until gplus.to starts redirecting all the user profiles to penis enlargement sites?

    SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • JollusJollus Registered User
    edited July 2011
    If it ever does all I need to do is delete it off my twitter page.

    Has there been any problems with URL shorteners going all porny?

    Jollus on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I had a friend send me an invite via email (or something like that). Nothing showed up in my email but when I went to the website there was a join button and my name was already in there and everything.

    Is that how the inviting process is supposed to work?

    SirToasty on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    You should have gotten an email, but it sounds like it's letting you in anyway.

    Centipede Damascus on
  • qwer12qwer12 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Have you guys seen this? It's from one of the guys making Google+.
    Hey Everyone,

    I wanted to thank everyone for the great feedback you have all provided. We are starting to iterate on solutions to some of the first round of obvious issues, so keep checking back to see what's changing =)

    As several people have mentioned in other posts, I'm the Technical Lead of the Social Graph team. We are responsible for most of the parts in the product that allow you to view/edit/find circles or people.

    I work very closely with Consumer Operations, Project Managers, other leaders on the team, UX designers and the like to help triage all of the incoming feedback and decide the priorities and solutions. Over the last few days I've received close to 100 emails/posts about ideas. I've been completely quiet with public posts, but I think it's about time I at least tell you all that I've received your feedback and I'm in the process of working with others to triage it. Here is an unordered/incomplete list of the types of feedback social graph has been receiving:

    * Some way of having hierarchical or sub-circles or some way of doing set logic (This and this but not that).
    * Easier way of dragging people from one circle to another.
    * Reordering circles
    * Gets a little "clunky" sometimes, freezes up, etc..
    * "Sharing" your circle.
    * Filtering suggestion by high school / employer / etc...
    * Easier to reciprocate relationships
    * Too many random people following me, don't want to block them, but don't want to see them either.
    * Out of sync if you add someone from the top bar, they aren't in the main page.
    * Lots of duplicates in suggestions
    * Inconsistent results in autocomplete.
    * Import groups from gmail, orkut, etc..
    * I want my vanity domain to work.

    I've received tons of feedback about other parts of the product as well, and I've sent them to the right people...this post is only focusing on my team's responsibilities.

    We are already working on addressing a lot of your feedback, so, like I mentioned before, keep checking back. If I don't write back, it's only because of the volume of feedback I've received. You guys, our users, rock! So, keep banging on our product, we hope to make it the best social network on the planet!

    Cheers,

    Eric

    qwer12 on
    steam_sig.png

    PSN: jrrl_absent
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I get the idea of determining which circles get to see a certain link, but what about the other way around? Say my sister goes the Facebook route and creates a single circle, sharing everything with everyone. Is there a way to hide posts from a certain person without unfriending them? What about hiding selective posts, similar to Facebook’s “Don’t show any more Mafia Wars posts from XXXXX”?

    I can’t think of a good way to actually do it, but it seems like Google tactfully telling you that someone doesn’t want to see your WoW stories could be useful.

    bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think that falls under "Some way of having hierarchical or sub-circles or some way of doing set logic (This and this but not that)" from the idea list one post prior to yours.

    wonderpug on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Jollus wrote: »
    But if you really want to share something with someone, and only them, there is a built in IM client, or you could maybe just email them. Remember email?

    Yes, it's that thing not shown anywhere on G+ unless you enter an address on your profile page and I have the rights in your circle settings to see it.

    And you also have to allow permissions to let Circle X contact you via the IM client.

    Echo on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, I am STILL getting the capacity exceeded screen.

    jerry-seinfeld.jpg

    What is the deal with that?

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • XtralifeXtralife Registered User
    edited July 2011
    I'm in! I'm in!

    I'm gonna start passing out invites... LIKE A BOSS

    Xtralife on
    Twitter Facebook Steam XBL Google+ Dropbox: get 250mb free
    Minecraft username is the same. No server yet.
    Battle.net: [email protected]
    Not too active on Steam, my computer sucks. Still no XBL Gold account. DS friend codes in spoiler.
    ACWW: 2063-9673-0359
    GTA Chinatown Wars: 0388-4661-8548
    Jump Ultimate Stars: 5155-6844-1452
    Mario Kart: 4811-3240-0433
    Scribblenauts: 4812-6335-7531
    Starfox Command: 1139-8027-6150
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 4211-4545-9789
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pass out your profile link so we can properly categorize you.

    MKR on
  • XtralifeXtralife Registered User
    edited July 2011
    Xtralife on
    Twitter Facebook Steam XBL Google+ Dropbox: get 250mb free
    Minecraft username is the same. No server yet.
    Battle.net: [email protected]
    Not too active on Steam, my computer sucks. Still no XBL Gold account. DS friend codes in spoiler.
    ACWW: 2063-9673-0359
    GTA Chinatown Wars: 0388-4661-8548
    Jump Ultimate Stars: 5155-6844-1452
    Mario Kart: 4811-3240-0433
    Scribblenauts: 4812-6335-7531
    Starfox Command: 1139-8027-6150
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 4211-4545-9789
  • T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd like to try this, I've been looking for a way to be able to separate professional life from social life for awhile and facebook doesn't quite cut it

    T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Xtralife wrote: »
    I'm in! I'm in!

    I'm gonna start passing out invites... LIKE A BOSS

    Hey. Hey. Hey.

    Hey.

    Hey.
    Hey.
    [EMAIL REDACTED]

    [/email]
    Space.

    Please

    bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • XtralifeXtralife Registered User
    edited July 2011
    bficky wrote: »
    Xtralife wrote: »
    I'm in! I'm in!

    I'm gonna start passing out invites... LIKE A BOSS

    Hey. Hey. Hey.

    Hey.

    Hey.
    Hey.
    EDITED
    Space.

    Please

    Ask, and ye shall receive!

    Xtralife on
    Twitter Facebook Steam XBL Google+ Dropbox: get 250mb free
    Minecraft username is the same. No server yet.
    Battle.net: [email protected]
    Not too active on Steam, my computer sucks. Still no XBL Gold account. DS friend codes in spoiler.
    ACWW: 2063-9673-0359
    GTA Chinatown Wars: 0388-4661-8548
    Jump Ultimate Stars: 5155-6844-1452
    Mario Kart: 4811-3240-0433
    Scribblenauts: 4812-6335-7531
    Starfox Command: 1139-8027-6150
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 4211-4545-9789
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Edit: Thank you for the invite.

    Anyway Facebook has already blocked the import data tool for Google+.

    Google+ to require that profiles be visible to all, will boot private profiles after July 31st

    Dark Shroud on
  • TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Anyone need invites? Get 'em while they're hot!

    TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm in. My profile is gplus.to/Omara. Add me!

    And if anyone needs an invite let me know.

    Kyougu on
Sign In or Register to comment.