As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Google+ - Will it spark interest or run around in circles?

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    @templewulf

Looks like Tim Bray originally did it, then Rick Klau explained in a little more detail, then Michael Robinson shared Klau's post with the rest of us.

https://plus.google.com/101307099794854494980/posts/9U6rH7zuw6f

[ed] Side note that most people might know already, to refer to someone on Google+ in a comment or post, you can type "+" and then immediately start typing their name. Seems like the equivalent of Twitter's referring to someone by doing @username.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll reshare that, since MKR is being Debbie Downer about gplus.to. :P

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    gplus.to/Frugus
    langfor6 wrote: »
    https://plus.google.com/104785141556541947749/posts

I'm making a PA circle and throwing you all in.

You have been warned.

What he said

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    templewulf wrote: »
    @templewulf

Looks like Tim Bray originally did it, then Rick Klau explained in a little more detail, then Michael Robinson shared Klau's post with the rest of us.

https://plus.google.com/101307099794854494980/posts/9U6rH7zuw6f

[ed] Side note that most people might know already, to refer to someone on Google+ in a comment or post, you can type "+" and then immediately start typing their name. Seems like the equivalent of Twitter's referring to someone by doing @username.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll reshare that, since MKR is being Debbie Downer about gplus.to. :P

It's run by a fellow with a big database, a valuable domain, and probably student loans to pay off. Not a good mix. :rotate:

MKR on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Sure, why not.

http://gplus.to/Bullio

That shortener is incredibly handy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    JohnDoe wrote:
    SirToasty wrote: »
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    I find Chrome to be the most compatible browser, though I personally use Opera most of the time.

I can't get over how fantastic the circles idea is. It will be a crime if Google+ doesn't become a success (or force FB to get better). The Android app also kicks the crap out of the Android FB app, but I suppose thats to be expected.
    Chrome is great for compatibility but I just miss all the little features of Opera. Mail and feed viewers right there in a little side pane. Built in Mouse Gestures (yeah I know there are extensions for every other browser), speed dial. And you can pretty much customize everything.

Not disagreeing with you ;)
    Oh I know. That was more of an expansion of my thoughts.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
  • Options
    grey areagrey area Registered User regular
    https://plus.google.com/114307407343938489064/posts

Will be making up a PA circle, I expect to be entertained. Dance my pretties, dance!

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    PSN/Steam - Quantux

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    All yall's better not turn out to be nutjobs- just added the lot of you.

Also, here:
    gplus.to/mrheist

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    I have a friend that I've tried to do a hangout with a few times recently. He doesn't have a webcam, so we thought we'd do audio only. He hasn't been able to get that to work either. He's played around with the settings to no avail. He concluded that his headset must not be working. However, he was still in the hangout last night when he fired up a game on his PC, and the audio from the game was coming through. It was very loud and clear, almost as if it was being piped directly, not coming through the mic. I still couldn't hear him talk, just whatever audio his PC was putting out. If anyone has any idea what would cause this problem, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Windows?
    Right-click on the volume control icon in the taskbar and select "recording devices" from the menu.
    In the small window that comes up, right click on any of the devices then select "show disabled devices" to make sure you get them all, and enable the microphone if it's disabled.
    If it was already on the list or still doesn't work after being enabled, select it, then right click and set it as the default recording device.
    If you see a bunch of devices, speak into the mic while looking at the devices list; if it's properly plugged in and not muted you should see the "mixer bars" turning green on the right device to set as the default.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    All right, think I've got everyone added.

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    gplus.to/sheeeeeeep

I added a few of you just now.

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Okay, I am confused. When I set up my account, I didn't upload a photo of myself.

Now, every time I try to upload a photo to use as my profile photo, it just gets added to an album, but it won't update it as my profile photo.

I want it as my profile photo, g+!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    I'm liking plus so far. Very streamlined.

StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    can I please get an invite? What does one need to invite me? Email? PM?

• Options
    FunbagsFunbags Registered User regular
  • Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Deusfaux wrote:
    can I please get an invite? What does one need to invite me? Email? PM?

Just need an e-mail.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Is there a way to make my profile URL more meaningful than a bunch of random letters and numbers?

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    Is there a way to make my profile URL more meaningful than a bunch of random letters and numbers?
    gplus.to

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    plus1-or-share-fry.jpg

• Options
    OmegaOmega Registered User regular
    I would greatly appreciate an invite to this, if anyone has one laying around or something.

• Options
    So apparently you can't delete people's comments off of your posts. That fucking sucks.

Sometimes some posts are irrelevent, filled with typos or just glaringly ignorant. I'd like to remove those posts to reduce the impression that I consort with fucking morons but apparently G+ doesn't allow you to operate a mini dictatorship. Problem.

• Options
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Better circles control in the future perhaps?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Anyone have an invite lying around? PM me and I'll respond with my email?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So apparently you can't delete people's comments off of your posts. That fucking sucks.

Sometimes some posts are irrelevent, filled with typos or just glaringly ignorant. I'd like to remove those posts to reduce the impression that I consort with fucking morons but apparently G+ doesn't allow you to operate a mini dictatorship. Problem.

That's kind of a huge and glaring problem. I sincerely hope it was just an oversight and not a decision someone made, because having control over what gets stuck on your wall is kind of really important.

edit:

I fear that a lot of the userbase that was built is dead weight. Every other thing I see on G+ is someone posting "wth is google plus?" This is also on facebook, too. I really hope this doesn't become that somewhat barren wasteland where just the more savvy people stick around. I legitimately like G+ and the design philosophy way more than Facebook.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    http://huyz.us/google-plus-me/

This looks like a nifty extension.

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    Thanks to the people who offered or did invite me in. Merci

• Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    ResorathResorath Registered User regular
    So I imported all my friends but it seems like 99% of them don't have google+? either that or they used a different e-mail address.

This yahoo-middleman process worked great for LinkedIn though.

In the meantime, I'm trying to run around hiding or changing information that google has datamined from me over the past 8+ years of using their services.

makibanner.png
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    Resorath wrote:
    So I imported all my friends but it seems like 99% of them don't have google+? either that or they used a different e-mail address.

This yahoo-middleman process worked great for LinkedIn though.

In the meantime, I'm trying to run around hiding or changing information that google has datamined from me over the past 8+ years of using their services.

It's nice that they've got the Google Dashboard to help see what your current account details and settings are. I didn't even know it was a thing until I came across it in Google Accounts kinda recently.