As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Romantic Movie/Video Game Quotes

RubickRubick Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm getting married in October, and choose some chocolate-covered fortune cookies as a favor. I can customize the fortune inside, and I thought it might be neat to have a romantic movie or video game quote on there. I can pick two or three, depending on the quantity I wind up getting. My fiance and I are into the basic geek cult flicks and video games, and I'm looking for quotes I can use. Stuff like, "I love you." "I know." I don't want generic rom-com quotes, but lines that are somewhat unique.

One that I won't use as it's too long and too involved is one I like from Mass Effect, during one of the romance sequences:

"You know what, you're right. About everything. I think about losing you and I can't stand it. The galaxy will just keep going. Everything, even the Reapers, will come around again. But you and I ... we ... are important right now. This is what will never happen again."

Any suggestions?

Rubick on

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After the Mass Effect quote I can't get,

"I had reach, she had flexibility."

out of my head.

I enjoy this from High Fidelity but it might too long:

"She didn't make me miserable, or anxious, or ill at ease. You know, it sounds boring, but it wasn't. It wasn't spectacular either. It was just good. But really good."

or from 500 Days of Summer: "Robin is better than the girl of my dreams. She's real."

or this one from The Princess Bride: "Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while."

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "As you wish." is another from The Princess Bride. Short, simple, sweet. And an inside joke.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Firefly: "Wash: I mean, I'm the one that she swore to love, honor, and obey.
    Mal: Listen, if— [surprised] She swore to obey?"

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "She swore to obey?" and the first Princess Bride one are gold.

edit: Your Princess is in another cookie?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    From Mother 3: "I'm really happy you could be with me before the end."

I always liked that line. I'm not sure if you're into JRPGs, but if you are, it would only be appropriate to quote the best JRPG.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerraTerra Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "She's the Marle to my Chrono."

Hiro says this in Heroes.

Terra on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    These are great, thanks guys. Will probably use something from Princess Bride for sure.

Rubick on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Try something from the book, like a line from this passage, which is one of my favorites:

"I love you,' Buttercup said. 'I know this must come as something of a surprise to you, since all I've ever done is scorn you and degrade you and taunt you, but I have loved you for several hours now, and every second, more. I thought an hour ago that I loved you more than any woman has ever loved a man, but a half hour after that I knew that what I felt before was nothing compared to what I felt then. But ten minutes after that, I understood that my previous love was a puddle compared to the high seas before a storm. Your eyes are like that, did you know? Well they are. How many minutes ago was I? Twenty? Had I brought my feelings up to then? It doesn't matter.' Buttercup still could not look at him. The sun was rising behind her now; she could feel the heat on her back, and it gave her courage. 'I love you so much more now than twenty minutes ago that there cannot be comparison. I love you so much more now then when you opened your hovel door, there cannot be comparison. There is no room in my body for anything but you. My arms love you, my ears adore you, my knees shake with blind affection. My mind begs you to ask it something so it can obey. Do you want me to follow you for the rest of your days? I will do that. Do you want me to crawl? I will crawl. I will be quiet for you or sing for you, or if you are hungry, let me bring you food, or if you have thirst and nothing will quench it but Arabian wine, I will go to Araby, even though it is across the world, and bring a bottle back for your lunch. Anything there is that I can do for you, I will do for you; anything there is that I cannot do, I will learn to do. I know I cannot compete with the Countess in skills or wisdom or appeal, and I saw the way she looked at you. And I saw the way you looked at her. But remember, please, that she is old and has other interests, while I am seventeen and for me there is only you. Dearest Westley--I've never called you that before, have I?--Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley,--darling Westley, adored Westley, sweet perfect Westley, whisper that I have a chance to win your love.' And with that, she dared the bravest thing she'd ever done; she looked right into his eyes."

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just to see the same things, hear the same sounds, and smile the same way... Wouldn't it be good to live like that? My eyes being yours, your ears being mine. Wouldn't something like that be nice?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ceres wrote: »
    Try something from the book, like a line from this passage, which is one of my favorites:

"I love you,' Buttercup said. 'I know this must come as something of a surprise to you, since all I've ever done is scorn you and degrade you and taunt you, but I have loved you for several hours now, and every second, more. I thought an hour ago that I loved you more than any woman has ever loved a man, but a half hour after that I knew that what I felt before was nothing compared to what I felt then. But ten minutes after that, I understood that my previous love was a puddle compared to the high seas before a storm. Your eyes are like that, did you know? Well they are. How many minutes ago was I? Twenty? Had I brought my feelings up to then? It doesn't matter.' Buttercup still could not look at him. The sun was rising behind her now; she could feel the heat on her back, and it gave her courage. 'I love you so much more now than twenty minutes ago that there cannot be comparison. I love you so much more now then when you opened your hovel door, there cannot be comparison. There is no room in my body for anything but you. My arms love you, my ears adore you, my knees shake with blind affection. My mind begs you to ask it something so it can obey. Do you want me to follow you for the rest of your days? I will do that. Do you want me to crawl? I will crawl. I will be quiet for you or sing for you, or if you are hungry, let me bring you food, or if you have thirst and nothing will quench it but Arabian wine, I will go to Araby, even though it is across the world, and bring a bottle back for your lunch. Anything there is that I can do for you, I will do for you; anything there is that I cannot do, I will learn to do. I know I cannot compete with the Countess in skills or wisdom or appeal, and I saw the way she looked at you. And I saw the way you looked at her. But remember, please, that she is old and has other interests, while I am seventeen and for me there is only you. Dearest Westley--I've never called you that before, have I?--Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley,--darling Westley, adored Westley, sweet perfect Westley, whisper that I have a chance to win your love.' And with that, she dared the bravest thing she'd ever done; she looked right into his eyes."

Pick one fortune cookie, and put this entire quote inside, in a very tightly rolled piece of paper. That person wins some kind of awesome, nerdy prize.

Bobble on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Well, I was just thinking one line from it, but that would definitely be the best fortune cookie ever.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    “I knew the two of you would get along like a house on fire.' Screams, flames, people running for safety...” - Pyramids, Terry Pratchett

“Against one perfect moment, the centuries beat in vain.” - Thief of Time, Terry Pratchett

...and Congratulations! :D

Hypatia on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hypatia wrote: »
    ... Congratulations!

There's a Neo Genesis Evangelion joke there but I just can't reach it.
    "I wish I could live life 5 times over! Then, I'd be born in 5 different cities, I'd stuff myself full with delicious things 5 times each, I'd have 5 different jobs, and for those 5 times..I'd fall in love with the same person.."

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "I wish I could live life 5 times over! Then, I'd be born in 5 different cities, I'd stuff myself full with delicious things 5 times each, I'd have 5 different jobs, and for those 5 times..I'd fall in love with the same person.."

Where is this quote from? I feel like I have seen it/heard it before but I can't put my finger on it.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I know you said no "generic rom-com" but When Harry Met Sally is iconic and "I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. " fits so well at a wedding.

Whole speech
    I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My fiance has actually requested a quote from Sleepless in Seattle, so there will be some rom-cominess in there. A portion of this exchange:
    Doctor Marcia Fieldstone: Tell me what was so special about your wife?
    Sam Baldwin: Well, how long is your program? Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together... and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home... only to no home I'd ever known... I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic.

Rubick on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Where is this quote from? I feel like I have seen it/heard it before but I can't put my finger on it.

google says Bleach, the anime

Raneados on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Raneados wrote: »

google says Bleach, the anime

Thanks man! Yeah, searching using bleach helped me find when and who said it, thanks a lot!

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    See if you can get "Give me some sugar, baby!" in there somewhere. After all, a woman who can't appreciate some Bruce Campbell is not worth the effort...

Donovan Puppyfucker on