As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crwth me up some Webcomics

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    that's a pretty ok mouth if you ask me.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    how many years did it actually take tim bucky to attempt facial expressions

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ill just do stuff like this for a while then ill be set for some good copy+paste action for the next decade or so

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's the spirit, berk!
    Aspire to adequacy! Be all that you can be without exerting yourself very much!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    reverse buckley, a daring play.

i admire your gusto.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    but seriously, buckley is just fucking lazy.

i'm 100% certain he could draw some pretty amazing stuf if he wasn't so damn complacent.

and devoid of any and all ambition to get better.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Berk wrote: »
    ill just do stuff like this for a while then ill be set for some good copy+paste action for the next decade or so

you know he literally has folders of eyes noses and mouths that he c+ps in to make faces

and they all look identical

like, it isnt even ironic

Beasteh on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Berk wrote: »

you know he literally has folders of eyes noses and mouths that he c+ps in to make faces

and they all look identical

like, it isnt even ironic

peeingblood.jpg

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    5ewlz7.gif

someone better than me should make something funnier with this

http://www.homestarrunner.com/stinko_comic.html

Atheraal on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So what's the deal with that werecerebus?

Is she three people or something ?

She is a Cerebus where she is on a mission or something to recapture the spirits that got out of hell

Brainleech on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Scooter wrote: »
    That page is the first time I've really been sure that Katt is female

It's nice to see a woman in that comic that doesn't have a backbreaking set of breasts

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Those people aren't cats at all.

Talk about doing it wrong.

75zeD.jpg
    hSCly.jpg
    Bab2f.jpg
    fnMtN.jpg
    GvEqc.jpg

Man, Mordecai is classy.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    tracy butler does the best clothes.

tynic on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Atheraal wrote: »
    1678qb6.gif

almost didn't post this, as there is literally not a single fresh idea contained within

being the webcomics thread, not like that's out of the ordinary

still pretty weak though

ayup.jpg

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tracy Butler does the best art, frankly

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man I hope she does a non-catperson project sometime, I mean her cat faces are great but I find there's so much more personality in the normals above.

Hobnail on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Man I hope she does a non-catperson project sometime, I mean her cat faces are great but I find there's so much more personality in the normals above.

she thinks of it exactly the opposite

cartoony cat people are more expressive

Raneados on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Raneados wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

she thinks of it exactly the opposite

cartoony cat people are more expressive

Exaggeration is easier with cartoony faces.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah I tend to agree with Tracy Butler. The cats have more personality than the humans do.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    But when a realistic human makes faces even half as expressive, it has more impact and meaning, and I think makes them more expressive than even the bulgiest cartoon eyes.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    that's not an animal

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    ronnie, you should try drawing some catpeople

you might be surprised

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I have enough trouble drawing cat cats and people people

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    But when a realistic human makes faces even half as expressive, it has more impact and meaning, and I think makes them more expressive than even the bulgiest cartoon eyes.

Doesn't this depend on the style though? All those humans up there are making very convincing expressions, but they don't work as well (at least in my opinion) as the cats do.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    wonk
    Q. Why cats?
    A. When dealing in sociopathic criminalism and gratuitous violence, how could it not be cats? Don't take it too literally, though. It's mostly just a device I like to use for characterization. The mobile ears, tails, and big eyes help me emphasize gesture and expression more than I could with human characters, they allow me to be as ridiculous as I like, and, well, they're just plain fun to draw.

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I have no qualms with cat people. Any artist should do whatever they want as long as it fits their vision. My thought is that people see cartoony styles (anthropomorphized animals very common in this field) and they think 'Well, that's not real art.' Then they see the immense talent of Tracy Butler and think 'Why is she reducing herself to a lesser style when she could be drawing the hardest thing -- real people?'

I don't have an opinion on the matter other than I like seeing real humans make funny faces. I think her cat stuff is great, too. Although I wonder why she doesn't go full-haul with an animal world? At the very least, something with dogs. (Then again, I guess it wouldn't be called Lackadaisy Cats anymore)

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Are humans really the hardest thing to draw though? I genuinely don't know here.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    No problems with cats, you say?

212bxmo.jpg

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    you monster

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yes, the main reason is when a human doesn't look right, the human looking at it knows right away. It's the most recognizable form to the human eye because it's the thing we see most.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    No problems with cats, you say?

212bxmo.jpg

Nooo my sordid past! (mostly because I hate how I drew that cat. I drew Rumpy really well in an earlier comic. I am not consistent at all.)

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Yes, the main reason is when a human doesn't look right, the human looking at it knows right away. It's the most recognizable form to the human eye because it's the thing we see most.

See I still wonder about this though, because such things only pertain when you're trying to be as absolutely realistic as possible. Like, photo realistic. Otherwise what is the difference between "not looking right" and the artists style? Obviously bad art isn't a style, and this is usually a very obvious thing, but is it is any more obvious with human representations than anything else?

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    People aren't the hardest things to draw

Backgrounds are

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    the results are in

and the hardest thing to draw is

"a peacock"

because "you have to color all those feathers"

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    that's coloring, not drawing!

art'ed

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Dich I want to disagree with you but motorcycle knight is giving me the thumbs up and I just can't

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's true in heavy stylization humans are the most recognizable, but at the same time, the closer you get to realism, the more the problems in a human become apparent than other forms. When I speak of drawing humans, I do mean realism, which is what Tracy did with those human versions of the Lackadaisy cats.

This person attempted realism with a cat.
    persian-cat-drawing.jpg
    Obviously it has glaring problems with the face, but it's not disturbing.

this person attempted realism with a human.
    bad-portrait.jpg
    Again, glaring problems, but much more disturbing.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Fyndir on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    th

those people were clearly going for two different looks dude

the level of detail in that cat wouldnt permit the same kinds of plane errors that the tattoo does and there isnt even an attempt to add any more than the most rudimentary depth

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    while I agree with your general message, those examples are flawed

MUCH more realism was attempted with the human face, as well as much more detail, giving more room to fuck it up royally, even inventing details that didn't exist

mensch gets it

Raneados on
This discussion has been closed.