As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Friday, July 1, 2011

scsscsscsscs Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Social Entropy++
i-CDb8s4K-L.jpg

scsscs on

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's quite a punch, there.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    what's the black stuff

was he snorting licorice or something

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Gabe always looks worried

Tycho always looks slightly disbelieving, but in a blase sort of way

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    what's the black stuff

was he snorting licorice or something

clotted blood?

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SabreMau wrote: »

never been punched in the mouth, huh?

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    #pipe wrote: »

I avoid locales with a high probability of mouth-punching activity. That is my policy, and it's served me well.

But I'm still impressed how the punch managed to connect on the cheek, break off a few teeth, bloody the nose, AND give him a black eye all in one swing. If it was a series of pummelings, perhaps, but we only get to see the one here.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

I avoid locales with a high probability of mouth-punching activity. That is my policy, and it's served me well.

But I'm still impressed how the punch managed to connect on the cheek, break off a few teeth, bloody the nose, AND give him a black eye all in one swing. If it was a series of pummelings, perhaps, but we only get to see the one here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3LE41Fcvmo

Brolo on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

It's like in the Dragonball mangas, you perceive one punch, but he landed a dozen

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    FactorySquirrelFactorySquirrel Marceline's Henchman Land of OooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    clusterpunch

FactorySquirrel on
    "That man is playing Galaga! He thought we wouldn't notice. But we did."
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    q8F7D.gif

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

the nose will bloody at the drop of a hat. The eye will blacken pretty easily too.

It looks like he punched him on the cheek bone which would definitely give you a black eye. Depending on the position of his jaw it could easily knock a tooth or two out.
    Not to mention breaking the cheekbone or eyesocket or both. Your cranium is very strong, but the bones in your face, not so much.

don't let video games or movies fool you, a single punch to the face can seriously fuck you up. Especially if the puncher is experienced and the punchee is not expecting it.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I've been punched in the face once. By a drunk 16 year old with no wind up at all.

it split open the inside of my cheek, bloodied my nose and cracked a tooth which later needed to be pulled.

And yes I got a black eye after a few hours.

#pipe on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The best way to prevent receiving face punches: Concealed carry license.

godmode on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    godmode wrote: »

Wouldn't open-carrying prevent more initial punches than concealed carrying?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    True...but less places allow open carrying.

So the best strategy would be wait until you get into a vocal confrontation, then be like "Ah, ah, ah!" and open your coat to reveal your pistol.

godmode on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Oh America

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2011
    Birthday party idea for my birthday comic.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Oh America

u jelly

godmode on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Oh America

u jelly

Fetch your gun, just in case.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    True...but less places allow open carrying.

So the best strategy would be wait until you get into a vocal confrontation, then be like "Ah, ah, ah!" and open your coat to reveal your pistol.

This strategy depends entirely on location.

In some regions, if you offer a glimpse of your firearm that's like saying "Guns are now an option. Feel free to escalate this confrontation at your leisure."

This is how law-abiding, upstanding citizens find themselves shot in the back while walking to their car from the club.

@#pipe: One movie that got it right is The Godfather. When the cop punches Michael Corleone in the face in the beginning of the movie and it busts his whole shit. I mean, the entire left side of his face is broken.

I don't really like MMA because of the crowd it draws but I often watch clips of it in awe of the straight on face punches these guys can take without showing much damage (at least right away). I mean, do those tiny little gloves really deaden the hits that much? You'd think there would be teeth flying everywhichway... i'unno...

Oddfish on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

Oh America

u jelly

Fetch your gun, just in case.

And bellow Arthur's battle cry.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been punched in the face once. By a drunk 16 year old with no wind up at all.

it split open the inside of my cheek, bloodied my nose and cracked a tooth which later needed to be pulled.

And yes I got a black eye after a few hours.

I've always wanted to earn a rad black eye. Walk around all badass and stuff.

Unfortunately, people would just assume that I'm a broken, scared women who's trying to cover for her boyfriend when I try to insist that I got in a bar brawl.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Oddfish wrote: »
    *snip*
    @#pipe: One movie that got it right is The Godfather. When the cop punches Michael Corleone in the face in the beginning of the movie and it busts his whole shit. I mean, the entire left side of his face is broken.

I don't really like MMA because of the crowd it draws but I often watch clips of it in awe of the straight on face punches these guys can take without showing much damage (at least right away). I mean, do those tiny little gloves really deaden the hits that much? You'd think there would be teeth flying everywhichway... i'unno...
    Sir or madam, the men and woman competing in professional MMA wear protective gum shields and have trained themselves to react appropriately when hit. The gloves prevent cuts on the recipient's face and protects the puncher's hand from breaking (this also the main function of the heavier gloves in boxing).

Also, MMA crowds are also good people. Like me.

Also also, this comic is kinda not that funny. Oh well, can't like 'em all.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited July 2011

jesus christ I hope you're joking

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yes. Yes I am. :P

godmode on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    black eyes suck

probably my least favorite minor injury

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't get this one.

Though I did enjoy the face punching.

Quid on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The people were playing a game with terrorists or something and they are currently being held prisoner and beaten by REAL terrorists but they think it is simply an incredibly real simulation that is part of their game

B^U

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011

Oh America

0.jpg

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Good birthday comic.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

you aren't really living if you don't get punched in the mouth three, maybe four times a day

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    A duck! wrote: »

You share my birthday.

I think that means you're my nemesis, if I'm reading this prophesy correctly.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

You share my birthday.

The other one, twins.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

You share my birthday.

The other one, twins.

definitely fraternal

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The people were playing a game with terrorists or something and they are currently being held prisoner and beaten by REAL terrorists but they think it is simply an incredibly real simulation that is part of their game

B^U

Falsch!

Call of Duty XP is some sort of an event where a Call of Duty map has been built real scale so as to function as a paint ball course. Also other things take place there.

Edit: The two dumb asses are either under real terrorist attack or attending the event.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

B^U

Falsch!

Call of Duty XP is some sort of an event where a Call of Duty map has been built real scale so as to function as a paint ball course. Also other things take place there.

Edit: The two dumb asses are either under real terrorist attack or attending the event.

that actually sounds pretty damn cool if you're both a big paintball and FPS fan

two groups that I assume have a large amount of overlap

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, sounds cool. I always wanted to play a real-life Counter-Strike map with paintball. Something like de_Piranesi (since I'm freaking sick of dust)

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5yIVRejm2s&feature=related

Skirmish USA runs some of the bigger scenario (woodsball) events in the US.

Brolo on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    that actually sounds pretty damn cool if you're both a big paintball and FPS fan

There's a local paintball place near me that used to advertise with the tagline "This ain't no video game." I always thought that was precisely the wrong sort of marketing for their target demographic.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

B^U

Falsch!

yeah, paintball used to make most of its money off of a more sport-style called speedball:
    speedball2.jpg
    enclosed field, a few inflatable barriers to protect yourself, and the markers and equipment tend don't really look like any real-world weapons

Mesnapshooting.jpg

since Call of Duty became popular, there's been a huge shift in the player base towards scenario paintball, also called woodsball

scenario games look more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bETFYTkqI1g&feature=related

( I believe the interior of the castle is based on a CoD multiplayer map as well)

and the equipment tends to look much more like real world weaponry (or at least like CoD real world weaponry)

14245_172856107814_160941932814_285.jpg

?action=view&photo=6640&product=4128

t9-rifle.jpg

most of these are just cosmetic changes, but these guns are magazine fed, rather than using a hopper (a big tube of paintballs) which make them compatible with these:

FS_specs.jpg

super expensive, but fly about three times further than a regular paintball and in a much straighter line

Brolo on