As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Horrendously difficult networking issue - Connect to network, not internet

Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital ConquistadorLondonRegistered User regular
Hi guys,

Our old router seemed to be playing up, so we bought a new one. I've now spent about six hours trying to make it work and am starting to feel slightly ill.

I'm currently on a netbook plugged directly into the cable modem with an RJ45. I get the internet just fine. However, trying to access the net through the router - wired or wirelessly - just doesn't work.

I've tried everything I can think of, and entertained illogical prospects as potential solutions, but I am pretty sure I'm not going to be able to do this on my own.

Firstly, this is what the netbook ipconfig /all is:

IP Config
Host name (fine)
Primary DNS Suffix: (blank)
Node type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Wired through modem
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix: cable.virginmedia.net
Description: (model name)
Physical address: (fine)
DHCP Enabled: YES
Autoconfiguration enabled: yes
IP address: 82.35.35.233
Subnet mask: 255.255.248.0
IP address: fe80::224::8cff::fe7b::ff8b%5
Default gateway: 82.35.32.1
DHCP Server: 62.30.144.119
DNS Servers:  194.168.4.100 / 194.168.8.100
Lease stuff: (fine)

Obviously, that's all hunky dory. However...:

Wireless
Connection-Specific DNS Suffix: (blank)
Description: (model name)
Physical address: (fine)
DHCP Enabled: YES
Autoconfiguration Enabled: yes
IP address: 192.168.2.100 (makes sense)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
IP address: fe80::222::43ff::fe92::14de%7
Default gateway: 192.168.2.1
DHCP server: 192.168.2.1
DNS servers: 192.168.2.1 / fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 / fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 / fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Lease stuff: (fine)

Wired into router produces the same result with one variation on the DNS line:
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%4 / fec0:0:0:ffff::2%4 / fec0:0:0:ffff::3%4

I don't know 100% whether it's fine having my router DNS results coming back the same as my gateway IP, but my research so far suggests it should not. This seems to be the main problem - that the modem DHCP is not assigning DNS IPs to the router. I am at a loss, though, to know how to fix this.

Stuff I have tried
  • Endless ipconfig /relase /renew cycles
  • Dozens of soft and hard resets / power cycles (which did actually fix my first problem, wherein the router wasn't being assigned an IP by the modem)
  • Manually configuring multiple options on the router including DNS pointing to OpenDNS and Virgin's DNS servers according to the modem, which reflected in my ipconfig /all but still did not result in an internet connection
  • Manually configuring TCP/IP preferences on windows to point to OpenDNS and Virgin's DNS servers, which had no discernable effect
  • Swapping around MAC addresses on the Dynamic IP setup tool on the router - my computer's, my modem's and my router's - no change
  • Leaving everything default
  • Using static IPs and static DNS
  • Using dynamic IPs and static DNS
  • Switching wireless adaptors
  • Winsock commands as per this post

Nothing works.

I'm running 7, am on a home network and nobody can access the internet unless plugged directly in to the modem.

p8fnsZD.png
Flippy_D on

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    That's the ipconfig when you're plugged into the cable modem directly, correct?

Do you get internet when the netbook has an ethernet connection to the router?

Tamin on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Nope.

I also finally found the details on how to log in to the router today - its log file had a cycle of DHCP and T3 errors. Finally caved and phoned Virgin Media, who to my tremendous surprise and gratitude actually had someone who knew what he was talking about, and he is sending me a new modem.

Looks like there really was nothing further I could do.

edit: Just saw that my original post was oddly truncated; have completed it.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, was curious about that. Glad to see they're replacing the modem.

Tamin on