As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Innocent vs. Not Guilty

sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I was having a discussion with a friend, and he asserted that juries could find a defendant guilty, not guilty, or innocent.

I've never heard of someone being pronounced innocent, because that's not the function of a criminal case as I understand it. As I was taught, the prosecution needs to prove guilt, yet the defense need not prove anything, as the burden is on the prosecution.

Any citation I could show to him for an answer, be it one way or the other would be helpful as well.

sligmasta on

• Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just wikipedia, but there is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdict

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't have any citations on hand but you're correct. Juries find people not guilty or guilty.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Google the subject of your thread and you will find a decent number of defense attornies blogging about the difference between the two and why "innocence" is irrelevant.

admanb on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As I'm aware it is only guilty or not guilty. In Scotland, a jury can also produce an unproven verdict. This is where there is not enough evidence to convict but the defendant is clearly a wrong 'un.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    admanb wrote: »
    Google the subject of your thread and you will find a decent number of defense attornies blogging about the difference between the two and why "innocence" is irrelevant.

I saw that too, but that's really more of a philosophical discussion.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcrmp/Rule11.htm

BlochWave on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thanks guys! I googled it and came up with those same defense blogs, but I was hoping for something more authoritative, maybe a ruling or a statement from a judge or a piece of legislation. The person I'm arguing with is claiming he clerked for various judges and is privy to special knowledge and that everything I know about the law I learned from csi.

That being said, I just want something I can show him that he will have to accept, or look a fool. unfortunately my google fu has failed me in this.

Edit: that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for BlochWave. thank you.

sligmasta on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    you can also try to make his head asplode with jury nullification

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    sligmasta wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I googled it and came up with those same defense blogs, but I was hoping for something more authoritative, maybe a ruling or a statement from a judge or a piece of legislation. The person I'm arguing with is claiming he clerked for various judges and is privy to special knowledge and that everything I know about the law I learned from csi.

That being said, I just want something I can show him that he will have to accept, or look a fool. unfortunately my google fu has failed me in this.

Edit: that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for BlochWave. thank you.

Tell him that, since he worked for a judge, he should know arguing from authority is pretty stupid and he needs to back up HIS claim, not the other way around.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I always thought of it this way.

Innocent means you actually didn't commit the crime. This has absolutely nothing to do with being guilty or not-guilty.

Guilty means a jury of your peers has determined that there was enough evidence or argumentation presented to convince you that the defendant probably committed the crime (by satisfying whatever the burden of proof is in a particular court).

Not guilty means a jury of your peers has determined that there was not enough evidence or argumentation presented to convince you that the defending probably committed the crime (by failing to satisfy whatever the burden of proof was).

I think that's the rub. We ask our juries to determine guilt by a defined set of parameters which the evidence and argumentation will or will not satisfy. 'Beyond all reasonable doubt' and etc.

In the latter two cases your actual innocence has nothing to do with the topic.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    There is such a thing as a "declaration of factual innocence," though they're pretty rare, and aren't granted by juries in any jurisdiction that I know of.

http://dictionary.lacriminaldefenseattorney.com/factual/factual-innocence.html

The bar is much higher than what is required to find somebody "not guilty," to the point that it mostly only applies to cases where someone is charged, and then the charges dropped by the DA's office due to lack of evidence.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Doc wrote: »
    There is such a thing as a "declaration of factual innocence," though they're pretty rare, and aren't granted by juries in any jurisdiction that I know of.

http://dictionary.lacriminaldefenseattorney.com/factual/factual-innocence.html

The bar is much higher than what is required to find somebody "not guilty," to the point that it mostly only applies to cases where someone is charged, and then the charges dropped by the DA's office due to lack of evidence.

Interesting, this may be what he was referring to, but with less than total understanding. I'll bring this up to him when we next speak.

sligmasta on
  • Options
    mehmehmehmehmehmeh Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    here is a story that ended in a declaration of factual innocence I read recently

part 1

part 2

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As I'm aware it is only guilty or not guilty. In Scotland, a jury can also produce an unproven verdict. This is where there is not enough evidence to convict but the defendant is clearly a wrong 'un.

Yes, for example: in the Casey Anthony trial, Casey would have most certainly received a verdict of "not proven" rather than "not guilty".

Not guilty would just mean there was not enough evidence to prove you were guilty, so therefore you aren't.

Innocence is irrelevant.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    But doesn't double jeopardy in the American justice system move to imply that there is a degree of innocence sown into the verdict?

Casey Anthony could come out and admit to the whole thing in the future and not necessarily be prosecutable, right?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jasconius, not necessarily. It's just that the specific trial and scenario has already been examined by a group of your peers and it is not worth the same time and money to re-try you over and over again.

But you are right, she could admit it and nothing could happen (criminally).

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    But doesn't double jeopardy in the American justice system move to imply that there is a degree of innocence sown into the verdict?

Casey Anthony could come out and admit to the whole thing in the future and not necessarily be prosecutable, right?

Correct.

You start any trial innocent, since you are innocent until proven guilty. If you are found "not guilty" then you maintain being innocent.

And yes. Since she has been found not guilty, she could some out and sign a major book deal where she says that she did kill her daughter and get away with it... which could be one reason she didn't take the stand. If she had, and said on the stand that she did not do it, and then afterward do a tell all book where she said she did, that would be perjury. That's a bit off topic.

TLDR- First two parts are all the matters.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Purpose of double jeopardy is preventing the government from simply trying cases over and over again until they get a conviction against someone they dislike.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    kedinik wrote: »

Purpose of double jeopardy is preventing the government from simply trying cases over and over again until they get a conviction against someone they dislike.

Well..theres more too it than that. Ultimately, its a limitation of the state over the individual. The system is designed so that you(the invididual) are presumed innocent until the state has proven otherwise. If the state can re-try you ad infinitum, then they will always win, its simply a matter of time.

This happened in a lot of british colonial territories where local governers set up racketeering scams on the local populace. They would arrest you and charge you with a crime (usually involving commerce) and you would have to pay out in damages. From these damages, 1/3rd went to the judge, 1/3 went to the governer, and 1/3 went to the crown. So anyone you'd appeal to for an unfair trial had an economic incentive to ignore you, and the local law enforcement had a incentive to rip you off. Found innocent? Retry until guilty.

Thats why its part of the Constitution...its in direct response to some of the ass-hattery the colonist had been subjected to.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Note that she could still be sued in a civil trial, as they're different categories (see the OJ wrongful death suit)

schuss on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah...but those are usually brought by families...what is she gonna do, sue herself?

WildEEP on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Everyone is innocent, until found guilty in a court of law. So it makes sense courts never find anyone "innocent."

dammit somebody already said that.

This chick doesn't exactly seem well off, but her parents could probably sue. at least keep her from making money off interviews/book deals/etc. who knows.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This chick doesn't exactly seem well off, but her parents could probably sue. at least keep her from making money off interviews/book deals/etc. who knows.

There seems to be a pretty big codependent dysfunction there. I don't see them suing for wrongful death, especially since the mother's testimony was helpful to the defense.

If I'm not mistaken, if she backpedaled on that defense for the civil case, she could still face perjury charges for the story she gave at the criminal trial.

I think we're drifting into D&D territory now, though.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Think of this like science. You can't prove the non-existence of something, you can only prove its existence. The same is true with guilt. You can't prove someone is innocent, because the absence of evidence doesn't prove completely that something didn't occur. Criminal courts evaluate only whether someone can be found to be guilty, or whether they can't be found guilty. It would be impossible to definitively prove innocence, so the topic is left out entirely.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Random factoid: In Swedish, "innocent" and "not guilty" are the same word, oskyldig.

The root word, skuld, means guilt (in the sence of blame, not conscience), but also debt.

Echo on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Think of this like science. You can't prove the non-existence of something, you can only prove its existence. The same is true with guilt. You can't prove someone is innocent, because the absence of evidence doesn't prove completely that something didn't occur. Criminal courts evaluate only whether someone can be found to be guilty, or whether they can't be found guilty. It would be impossible to definitively prove innocence, so the topic is left out entirely.

You know, I always wondered about that. I hear a lot "You can't prove a negative". But in the articles linked to above, someone was proven innocent. There was video evidence that they were somewhere else at the time of the crimes they were accused of. The detectives working the case found that it was physically impossible for him to be in two places at once, and thus he was proven innocent.

What you might be thinking is that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence?

EDIT: This is interesting too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_absence

They have a section about "You can't prove a negative". That guy was a philosopher, not a scientist or a mathematician, who frequently DO prove negatives. Apparently the logically sound argument is that you can prove a negative with sufficiently thorough investigation. Whats frequently left up for the debate, especially among scientist, is what constitutes a sufficiently thorough examination.

Namrok on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, this is not a Casey Anthony discussion thread, so let's stop doing that now.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Namrok wrote: »
    They have a section about "You can't prove a negative". That guy was a philosopher, not a scientist or a mathematician, who frequently DO prove negatives. Apparently the logically sound argument is that you can prove a negative with sufficiently thorough investigation. Whats frequently left up for the debate, especially among scientist, is what constitutes a sufficiently thorough examination.

Didn't click the link, but the philospher I'm most familiar with that idea was speaking in ultimates, not specifics. You can't prove there's never been any alien visitation ever in the history of the world... but you sure can disprove specific claims. Which is where we are here, because the law deals with specifics - a specific person committing a specific crime. That can be proven negative*.

The important point is it doesn't have to be proven negative, that the law abiding citizen doesn't need to account for their movements and activities on a constant basis.

*-up to the point where you start entertaining certain philosophical arguments, but at that point you enter a dead zone where nothing is provable and the whole thing is an exercise in futility. Science and the law don't entertain those arguments. Even some branches of philosophy reject them outright simply because they serve little point except to cloud discussion.

Hevach on