As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PSI.RUN] The Crash

summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Critical Failures
Index
Descriptions (check here for information about each scene in the Trail)
Classified Documents (facts, revelations, and character status)
The trail (locations of the Runners and the Chasers)
Chatter (metagame narrative)


The stuff in the Index above might come in handy. Basically, this post here will tell us about the scenes we're in or have left, as well as anything we've created, in-fiction. Finally, the trail itself.

The next post is Chatter, which reflects the Chasers attempts at gathering you all up. None of it is IC knowledge - not yet, anyway. It also has no mechanical bearing at the present time. It's just there.

DESCRIPTIONS
1. The Crash - where the transport van crashed, due to unknown circumstances. Chasers escorting you are on pursuit. 01's vibration ability caused a giant disaster that destroyed the highway and surrounding area, and parts of the town in the valley below.

2. The Rest Stop - where an old lady got suspicious and reported you for nothing. You stole a car, shoplifted, and caused a very low-key scene: return is not encouraged.

3. The Camp Site - where 02's power went haywire and caused a fire. The Chasers gathered en masse.

4. The Aquarium -

CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS
Wounds


AlfredR
I look in the mirror and a I see a lanky pale guy with brown hair down to his shoulders and coppery-red beard in severe need of a trim. I look at myself through brown eyes and see my button-down t-shirt and my red cross-trainers.

Why do the things I focus on start to vibrate violently?

Why am I feeling so sick?

Why are my forearms encased in this metal trap?
Who is "Sarah," the name I can't get out of my head?

===============================================

FecklessRogue
Appearance: Shoulder-length brown hair and a patchy beard, both unkempt and uneven. Pasty skin. One green eye, one blue eye. Blood dripping from a fresh gash along the left temple that curves up over the brow. Starting at the shoulder along the right arm are tattoos that feel warm when near electronics.

Past/Current:
Q1: How long have I been gone?
Q2: Did they take my brother too?

Powers:
Q3: Why do computers break when I touch them?

Quirks:
Q4: Why am I so afraid of crowds?
Q5: Who is the Man in the Shadows that I see when I sleep?

===============================================

immortal squish
DESCRIPTION

Dark skinned man of (apparently) mixed descent. He looks to be somewhere in his early 20's. His head is shaved clean, though his face is covered in heavy, unkempt stubble. He appears to have a bit of extra bulk on him, but his solid arms reveal that there is definitely some significant muscle beneath the fat. An expansive tattoo covers his right arm, depicting a bloodied man weilding a bottle of milk like a baseball ball. Beneath in bold lettering are letters "R.O.C.K."
QUESTIONS

Where did [the power to control dairy] come from?
Why milk of all things?
What does R.O.C.K. mean?
Why am I so pissed all the time?

THE TRAIL
The Crash - Rest Stop - Camp Site - The Aquarium (chasers)

summeryclept on
«13

Posts

  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Transporting subjects:

    01
    02
    03


    Please ensure delivery. Respond when collected.

    Station 7, response has not been issued. Has the cargo been collected?

    (static) Negative, Receiver. Vehicle has crashed, cargo is active. Repeat: Cargo is active. Advise. (static)

    (static) They just destroyed the fucking mountain. Like all of it. It's gone. One Agent down, another missing. We need a PR team out here to patch this up, pronto. (static) ...heading either through the woods or down the road, will pursue both avenues. (static)

    Station 7, back-up is on the way for a twenty-mile radius. Pursue at all costs. Lethal force is encouraged, copy.

    (static) We're heading up the main road, see what we can find. Detachment team will survey the woods. We've found blood. (static)

    Maintain course - Hunter Seeker teams have been engaged.

    CARGO IS DOWN, REPEAT, CARGO IS DOWN. TAKING INTO CUSTODY! CARGO IS DOWN!

    summeryclept on
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    THE CRASH

    The black van had padding on the inside, gray wavy foam, the kind that dampens sound. The cargo - the official term for the three prisoners in the back - each of them were manacled, zip-tied, and hooded. The Jack, a small device full of wires and a plug-in that pops into your wrist, kept your shit from going off. Your shit. Your abilities. Try to pop the jack out of your skin without the key, and you get electrocuted. They warned you this much. Not just a shock, but lethal voltage.

    Two guards sat with you, though you couldn't really see them. One had a funky kind of silver shotgun, and just being near it makes the hairs on the back of your neck tingle, like when your finger brushes just over the skin. It almost tickles. It feels electric.

    There was loud yelling at the front cabin before everything went sideways, before the van was suddenly a geometry problem - what angle is this? Are the three of us parallel to the ground, or perpendicular? - and the sides were scraped off and half the van torn in two. One of you had your shackles popped in the crash and managed to get the others loose with a key found on one of the guards. The other one is missing. Same with the driver and his passenger. All dark-suits, short hair, brown skin. Maybe Middle-Eastern.

    The farthest back you remember is getting up that morning, but slow, it's starting to all come back to you.

    One guy's dead, the other three are missing. It's one of those mountain roads you see in TV shows that can't possibly exist, some highway hugging a cliff and a high rail, but it's not narrow and dangerous here, there's plenty of room. The mountains break into lush hills where you all crashed. The three of you feel fine, and the Jacks pulled out of your skin. When you realize that, you suddenly brace yourself, as if they could somehow shock you now - but there's nothing. Maybe their power source got cut, or maybe they need to be mounted to something. Who knows.

    There's blood dragging itself in a line around the corner you just came from.

    Before the crash, they all spoke to each other in a language you couldn't understand. It didn't sound like anything, not like the people on CNN talking about Afghanistan, or the special news reports with the certified professors from India. It was all weird clicks and hums. Then they spoke to you, plain English, but with a growl.

    "If you try to get away, we have permission to kill you. You don't mean anything to us as fugitives. Then, you're a problem."

    It's probably not even noon yet, looking at the sky. It's hot though. And there's no one coming or going.

    What happens next?

    summeryclept on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Sarah..."

    If you've ever been sort of floating between sleep and lucidity, you've probably started talking out-loud to the things existing only in your own head. It can be embarrassing or just funny depending on what exactly is going on in that melon of yours -- other times it just doesn't make sense, in that way that just nags at you, like thinking of a name or person that you don't really know.

    "Sarah...?"

    That last one is the condition this young man finds himself in, drifting into full consciousness, his eyesight swimming and his entire body aching... his shoulders, especially, crying out. He wants to rub them to ease the ache, but he can't move his arms. He sits up with a start, and his head promptly says screw you -- and he's dizzy and feeling sick and barely making out the over-sized hunk of metal latched around both of his forearms weighing them down before his interests turn elsewhere.

    "Oh god I think I'm going to be sick."

    ...

    One violent wretch off the cliff later, and he's staggering onto his feet and looking at the other guys with him, almost teetering over forwards as he holds up the damn metal contraption around his arms. And then he sees the dead guard lying with the wreckage of the van and that's when he remembers the van ride, the weird click-speak, the Jacks (complete with momentary panic), and the permission to kill him. Each of them! "Asshole."

    And then he kicks the body in the leg, half-heartedly, scanning him for anything that might resemble a key or whatever-the-hell would undo the metal trap from his arms.

    "Someone who didn't just get sick, please tell me there is a plan? Over the hills, through the woods... oh god that sounded stupid... going that way might be an idea, but we can't stay here. Anyone...?" And then he trails off, spying the trail of blood leading off around the bend from which they came... and he stumbles in that direction, looking around the wreckage a bit more closely, as his curiosity overcomes his own sense of run the hell away from a burning wreckage.
    Looking around the scene for anything else worth noticing, summery, and waiting for other player feedback. I say I'm scanning the guy for a key or such, but I'm not actually interested in getting these things off yet, if that makes sense. Or at least by myself. To do it so soon feels like defeating the point of saddling the character with them, ya know?

    Edit: Okay, yeah, being more Active: Investigating the trail of "blood dragging itself in a line around the corner you just came from"

    AlfredR on
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you want to actually find something, that'll be considered something important, and you'll need to roll. If you're just idly scene-gazing, or you want to hear everyone else before you act, then go on right ahead. However, just investigating the blood isn't very important - I figure it's more what you do after the fact.

    The blood goes around the corner and through some trees, over dark green grass where bees fly around flowers. You note a single petal with a drop of blood. There's ants. The blood goes deeper through the trees, and far off, there's the sound of heavy footsteps.

    The blood gets under your shoe, and there's a smell of wet pennies, of liquid copper.

    summeryclept on
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Eyes pop open. Someone is fidgeting with my shackles. I wait. I wait. A click followed by a clang and I'm loose. I struggle past them and scramble hands and knees out of the van. Its bright and hot. Feels like the air is a blanket trying to shove me into the ground. Is the person who freed me talking? I can't tell. I'm not listening. I'm only thinking of running. I notice the wreck I came from. Its broke. They're broke.

    The realization that they can't stop me compels me forward. I head to the van and search it. Weapons, radios, water especially, anything that can help me. They said if I ran they had permission to kill me.

    I intend to run.
    Do I get to assign dice to searching the van? And do you want us to use Orokos or something for the rolls, or are you doing the rolling and we assigning the numbers you give us?

    FecklessRogue on
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Orokos sounds good, although I trust you guys to accurately present what you rolled. Use IC or Orokos, or just roll and tell me what you get.

    summeryclept on
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://4e.orokos.com/roll/44696 Goal 4, Reveal 4, Chase 3 (unused 1) Did I do that right?

    FecklessRogue on
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    http://4e.orokos.com/roll/44696 Goal 4, Reveal 4, Chase 3 (unused 1) Did I do that right?
    Let's see - you rolled 1 die for doing something important, 1 for potential flashback, 1 for being chased, and 1 for being un-hurt. You played in Goal, Reveal, and Chase, the necessary categories for what you rolled - so, yep, all good!

    GOAL - (I get first say. Take what I've written and finish it up, adding what you like, within spirit of what I've provided.)

    A lot of the shit in the wreckage is broken. It's all twisted metal wrapped around twisted metal. There's chunks of brown flesh splashed over the van's heap, and some hair.

    Water especially? There's a three-quarters-empty Dasani bottle that's crushed in a little but miraculously whole. Nothing else food or water wise. A radio, static-ey and with the speaker dangling loose, but still connected and functioning - you can't use it to talk to anyone, but you can hear from it.

    The silver shotgun thing is gone. The Jacks are broken. You find the dead man's gun flung over into the bushes with a full clip.
    And now you can add a few things if you like! The group as a whole employs veto power, just remember.

    REVEAL - (Alfred and squish, choose one: something Feckless finds triggers a flashback to one of his questions and answers it, you get to pick which question and you also get to answer it. You can find his questions in the OP. Your other option is to give him a brand new question, so long as that doesn't push him above six questions.

    Feckless, you pretty much just get to react to what they decide.)


    CHASE - (The Chasers move one step farther along the trail. THE CHASERS ARE AT THE CRASH SITE.)

    (this means CHASE is no longer an option when you roll, and has been replaced with CAPTURE. Refer to the Dice section in the OOC thread.)


    As you pull a slice of door free from the frame, the tilted van settles, and at the same time you hear the grinding of metal, you hear the clik-clak of the silver shotgun. At the far end of the road, just at the edge of the trees and brush, there's two of the armed men who escorted you. Brown skin, clicking while they talk. They look scratched up, but there's barely any blood, aside from a mean gash across one's forehead.

    Where the third one is, that's anyone's guess.

    "Halt!" The one holding a handgun, not the shotgun, says. "Get down on the ground, now! GET DOWN ON THE GROUND!"

    summeryclept on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I feel like squish should get to weigh in on the matter Rogue's memory coming back, since that's the point of letting the other player's decide it. I also respect that waiting is boring, so I'll dump an idea here and wait for squish to weigh in? Or for Summery to do whatever he'd like with it.

    It's the way that they're screaming halt that's so familiar. Locked up, Jacked, drugged -- whatever -- by them for however long... they haven't actually had to scream and threaten him so directly. Last time they did that was... damn, when was it? It was some time ago... and they were yelling at him... and at his brother? It was when the chasers captured them. That's right. They took his brother too -- two vans! He was in one, and his brother in the other. The chasers were shouting... and then his brother was screaming. And then the bag went around his head.

    Upon request I'll dump that into an actual post, but I just figure give squish a little time to get in here and play with us.

    Now, I was planning on searching the bloody bushes, because I was interested in that. But now the Chasers are on the scene, so that's a concern. Instead, I think it's probably an appropriate time to run? I can risk everyone getting captured later in the game :P Summery, my character is going to try and escape, using his powers in the process.

    The smell of pennies, thick in the air and painting the bushes, is almost enough to make him sick again. Everything seems to be doing that, actually. What the hell is wrong with me? His head is spinning, and it only settles back into place on his shoulders when he hears the Chasers shouting at one of the others. He takes a look, and sees them just outside the treeline, with their weapons out -- aiming at one of the other runaways from the crash.

    "They're going to kill him. They're going to kill all of us. So, it's time to run."

    They're at the treeline, putting them stupidly close to my guy, probably. Likely puts my guy close enough to the other Runners to shout at them. So, he starts concentrating on the scene -- on the hillside and the chasers, intending to buy some time to get away, and maybe take them out cause they damn sure deserve it. Vibrations start to course through the surrounding scene, with rock and tree shaking something fierce. He's ready to flee, and he shouts for their attention,

    "Move your asses, guys!"

    And then everything doesn't go exactly as planned.

    Well nuts... [strike]so, Goal 6/Reveal 1/Psi 2/Capture 4/and I guess Harm 4 partly because I was expecting to hurt the Chasers, but now I'm having a Brainstorm? EDIT: So the site says my die roll was to search the bushes, but I changed my mind right before I typed this up and rolled and just forgot to change the action name. I'm so professional over here, with these slip-ups, you don't even know man.[/strike]

    EDIT EDIT: Oh hey look a sixth die cause summery knows this game better than I do! That 3 isn't so bad... SO I'm just gonna scramble these around for some more fun!

    Goal4 / Reveal4 / Psi2 / Capture6 / Harm3 aw yeah lookit all the GM/Other Player narration. Now to sit back and see how everything goes pear shaped.

    AlfredR on
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Let's see here... you get one die just for rolling anything at all, another for the chasers, and another for memory. So that's 3 of your 5 dice. You get another for being un-hurt, so that's another. 4/5. You're using your psi-power, so that's 5/5

    However! There's a risk of injury here - I might have to let you guys know that before rolling - so you get to roll one extra die. So roll that, and then arrange your stuff again.

    summeryclept on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Edited my above, summery, to include my sixth die and move stuff around. Go to town!

    AlfredR on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Look, clowns. I didn't break you two outta those Jacks for you to shake hands with these assholes. We need to get the fuck outta here."

    Man, these MIB motherfuckers just won't quit, it sounds there's a gang of 'em almost here to catch our asses. I am getting the hell out of here, up the road wherever that goes.
    Still a little wonky on the dice stuff. How many dice am I rolling, assuming my power won't be helping me?

    Feckless' Reveal
    Q2: Did they take my brother too?
    A voice sputters to life over the radio... one that he remembers... And suddenly he's transported back to a moment from long ago. Laying on the ground, bloody and beaten... barely conscious... he can remember that same voice, "You think you've won because your brother escaped? Let me tell you a secret." The voice came closer, now barely a whisper in his ear, "You're the one we were after.

    Edit: And everything has changed in the time it took me to make my post. I find it funny we both went after the same question ;)

    immortal squish on
    <3
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Or, rather, you already rolled for Harm, I got confused. You still get to roll an extra die, and I'm guessing you didn't roll for being un-hurt!

    GOAL - (I get first say, you get last say).

    There's a fucking deal going on, a whole issue right now, and the world is turning to shit because you can't keep your Psi in check. Trees are exploding, the metal from the van is flying up through the air and landing back down like how oil pops in a hot pan, and everybody feels like they're having their own personal earthquake.

    The shotgun shoots off some kind of sonic-electro jolt, something blurry and blue that doesn't look pleasant, but the world's going haywire right now, and you manage to slip away.

    REVEAL - (Same as before: Feckless and squish get to answer one of your questions, or give you a new one.)

    HARM - (you're hurt for three scenes, and I get first say. You get last say!)

    Before everything goes topsy-turvy, Handgun-agent gets off a shot. The bullet pops you right in the back of the leg as you're going, and it's the same sensation as if your leg swallowed battery acid out of a burning cup.

    PSI - (I get first say, you get last.)

    The entire highway starts to buckle. Cracks open up spontaneously. Everyone's head feels like it's going to split apart. Things start with a small tremor, a mockery of the elderly, then goes on to full on seizures. It's like the stages of being really, really sick. The more things shake, the more they pop - splinters and limbs come flying your way, shards of metal. Big chunks of the mountainside dislodge themselves and fly screaming onto the town below. Off in the distance, far away, a water tower starts to bend, slow, before twisting around itself and gushing its innards over whoever's under it. It's a war zone with invisible combatants. Everything is a landmine.

    CAPTURE - (nobody gets caught, nobody! Unless someone else rolls Capture, and rolls poorly. However, Alf, you get first say about how nobody got caught right now!)
    (to sum it all up - tell me about how you got away, how you're hurt, what your psi power is doing, and how nobody got caught.)

    summeryclept on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alfred's Reveal
    Why am I feeling so sick?
    The bullet strikes his flesh, and the pain of it is too much, and he can't help but vomit as he lurges away from the chasers. He threw his hand over his mouth as a reflex, and now it was covered in chunks of breakfast... wait, is that a fucking nail? And looking to his feet, he can see a trail coins, batteries, and other things no person in their right mind swallows. All of which were in his stomach, only moments ago.

    immortal squish on
    <3
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Look, clowns. I didn't break you two outta those Jacks for you to shake hands with these assholes. We need to get the fuck outta here."

    Man, these MIB motherfuckers just won't quit, it sounds there's a gang of 'em almost here to catch our asses. I am getting the hell out of here, up the road wherever that goes.
    Still a little wonky on the dice stuff. How many dice am I rolling, assuming my power won't be helping me?

    Feckless' Reveal
    Q2: Did they take my brother too?
    A voice sputters to life over the radio... one that he remembers... And suddenly he's transported back to a moment from long ago. Laying on the ground, bloody and beaten... barely conscious... he can remember that same voice, "You think you've won because your brother escaped? Let me tell you a secret." The voice came closer, now barely a whisper in his ear, "You're the one we were after.

    Edit: And everything has changed in the time it took me to make my post. I find it funny we both went after the same question ;)
    1 for doing something important, 1 for possible capture, 1 for potential memory flashback. You always get these three.

    Then, because you might get hurt due to Alfred's renegade psi power, that's +1 die. Also, since you're not hurt right now, that's another +1 die.

    All together, you roll 5 dice. Assign one to Goal, one to Capture, one to Reveal, and one to Harm.

    FecklessRogue:
    Looks like they're answering about your brother, with slight variation. Put it all together and finalize it however you like:

    It's the way that they're screaming halt that's so familiar. Locked up, Jacked, drugged -- whatever -- by them for however long... they haven't actually had to scream and threaten him so directly. Last time they did that was... damn, when was it? It was some time ago... and they were yelling at him... and at his brother? It was when the chasers captured them.

    That's right. They took his brother too -- two vans! He was in one, and his brother in the other. The chasers were shouting... and then his brother was screaming. And then the bag went around his head.

    + + +

    A voice putters to life over the radio... one that he remembers... And suddenly he's transported back to a moment from long ago. Laying on the ground, bloody and beaten... barely conscious... he can remember that same voice, "You think you've won because your brother escaped? Let me tell you a secret." The voice came closer, now barely a whisper in his ear, "You're the one we were after."

    summeryclept on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    GOAL (Last Say)
    "I... fuck. I didn't..." The scene of carnage unfolding all around isn't quite what he intended. No, screw that -- it's going nothing like he intended. He wanted to knock those guys down, or bury them, or something -- not turn the world into some surrealist nightmare of warping asphalt, metal and trees. He shouted, that shotgun went off, he panicked, and everything went wonky when he fled down, through the trees, hills and valleys towards the town.

    HARM (Last Say)
    Fuck that shotgun, and fuck that handgun and its screaming-popping-burning that's eating at the nerves in your leg. Back of the damn leg, and now he's limping and stumbling, bouncing from tree to tree on the incline, staggering to stop from tipping forward with his arms still bound up in front of him. The leg is numb and half-useless, burning something vicious as he drags it along after him.

    PSI (Last Say)
    Everything is exploding around him at this point, or melting away -- the highway cracked and rumbled, sloughing off its layers and everything on top of them as the hillside rumbled, and rock and soil went muddy, vibrating away into liquid and sliding downwards through hill and tree. The trees on all sides shivering and shedding splinters and slivers in 360 degrees -- he panics, so everything goes to hell; everything is going to hell, so he panics. The air quivers, and the sound of everything vibrating and grinding against everything around it is shrill and hot.

    CAPTURE (First Say!)
    With the ground shaking and warping all under the feet of the Chaser's present, they're off balance -- the two shots they get off go wild. The shotgun into the ground, and the handgun into his leg... after that, they don't get any more fire off as the ground opens up in mud and rock around them, sucking them down like a bog born out of nowhere.
    Oh god everything is popping, cracking, melting, and exploding -- what have I done

    Edit: Also oh god what have I been eating? I'll wait for Feckless, I think, and then bring the memory together in full!

    AlfredR on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The entire mountain was gyrating like a stripper, which was making this whole running thing kind of a bitch. But that's better than letting those weird assholes get a clean shot off at us. "C'mon, get your asses in gear!"
    Dice(5)
    34613

    Goal 6 - Succeed at goal (GM say)
    Capture 4 - No one captured (GM say)
    Reveal 3 - No Reveal (n/a)
    Harm 3 - Harmed from session (GM say)

    immortal squish on
    <3
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    To maintain character, since names haven't been discovered - AlfredR is now 01, FecklessRogue is now 02, and immortal squish is now 03. These were designations given to you in the van.

    The armed men, your Chasers, end up going for cover in the woods. They're yelling, firing off pot shots, but they can't keep their ground. The whole highway is collapsing - it's time to go.

    Everything is blowing up, everything is vibrating and popping - including the manacles securing prisoner 01. The upchucked metal and trash itself starts to slide around through the muck, little vomit-ripples hockey-pucking it around. The smell is worse than the blood.

    03, as you're almost out of range of this disaster zone, a chunk of pavement pops near your feet, and shards of thick roadway pierce your side. You feel dizzy, almost like your heart is slowing. You can still go, but not with any urgency.

    The only way to go is away from the Chasers, and that's down the highway. It's maybe a thirty minute run before you get anywhere good. It's a small rest stop, with big rigs out in the parking lot, across the street from a Denny's, a gas station, and somebody selling watermelons out of a wooden booth for a buck fifty.
    immortal, give us final say over you escaping the Chasers and also your wound. It'll be there same as Alfred's, for three scenes. I'll keep track, let you know! And we'll call this scene closed since two of you are already running off, and no doubt Feckless is hot on your heals.

    You're safe at the new scene - REST STOP - until the Chasers advance. I'll change the posts to reflect everything.

    AlfredR gets final say over what was in his tummy and why it made him so sick, and FecklessRogue gets final say over what happened to his brother. Remember to follow what was given to you!

    Whoever wants to, you can give your character a final post for the Crash scene, and then I'll throw up the next post.

    summeryclept on
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alfred's Reveal: I don't know if I'm supposed to stick with the same question or go different so I stayed the same.

    The nausea had been with you since you woke up, maybe before. Your stomach felt wrong, tumbling, like it needed to release every poison it had ever consumed. You felt feverish and worn, a little dizzy. Then you unleashed your powers upon the mountain. Roads cracked and liquefied and the world shook beneath you. But for the first time in a while, you didn't feel sick.

    For now.


    Does that work? I'll be back in a few hours with my summary.

    FecklessRogue on
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alfred's Reveal: I don't know if I'm supposed to stick with the same question or go different so I stayed the same.

    The nausea had been with you since you woke up, maybe before. Your stomach felt wrong, tumbling, like it needed to release every poison it had ever consumed. You felt feverish and worn, a little dizzy. Then you unleashed your powers upon the mountain. Roads cracked and liquefied and the world shook beneath you. But for the first time in a while, you didn't feel sick.

    For now.


    Does that work? I'll be back in a few hours with my summary.
    Oh! For that, you're getting creative liberties with answering one of the questions Alfred posed about his character. Squish said he was upchucking all kinds of weird materials. If we were around a table, you and squish would put your heads together and come up with the answer together - here, though, one of you suggests something, the other agrees or suggests something else.

    So here, you're either agreeing with immortal squish's answer, maybe adding your own few details (like you just did!) or suggesting something else instead.

    summeryclept on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    After putting some distant between themselves and those black suited bastards, 03 looks over the gaping wound in his side. So far, clutching his hand to his side isn't doing a very good job of keeping him from leaking blood.

    "Well ain't that about a bitch. Dodged the MIB and got popped by a fuckin' rock." The stream of cursing and promises to bust some heads continues until 01 manages to catch up. "'Ey, oh-one, you're limpin'. They got you too, huh? Man, lets get to that store. Might be a car up there we can borrow."

    03's smile at that last part conveys pretty clearly that the owner of any such vehicle would have little to say on the matter.

    immortal squish on
    <3
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Since no one had their name as a question, you guys can remember that part whenever you like.

    summeryclept on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    01 isn't even paying attention at first to 03's niceties -- it's hard to focus when you're coming off a runner's high, down an epileptic mountain, collapsing to your knees and letting out one good final puke.

    "UuhuguUg... Oh. Sons of bitches... feels like I swallowed a nail. What the hell is this thing...?" In the sick pooling in the side of the road bobbed a hunk of metal shaped like a tiny egg, blinky away in overly cheerful greens and reds... before finally dying out. And then 01 realizes he isn't feeling miserably sick anymore. His head is so clear it feels like he is thinking in ways he never has before, now that his thoughts can stop swimming and actually come together.

    And then he remembers.

    REVEAL (final say)
    Yeah, come here you punk kid. Think it's super funny, don't ya? Keep eating this trash, getting yourself sick and getting out of the cell?

    01's a punching bag, numb and on the ground, while this narration is going on. Any sense of pride in getting a rise out of his captors was stomped out in full force by suits and classy shoes.

    Medical's decided that you're a risk to yourself and a drain on resources. New plan.

    And a hand has his mouth forced open -- and another is jamming the blinking metal egg into the back of his throat. And his head is a field of explosions and melting scenery, swimming sickness and collapsing imagery.

    01 tried to bring his thoughts together. Tried to shake the walls. Tried to bring down the roof, and he would get so close, so near... and he'd collapse, feeling like death as he tried to collect those threadbare thoughts ghosting around his skull.

    You want to be sick so bad? Open up, asshole.


    "Yeah... They got me too, Three. They really did."

    "Jokes on them though -- dropped a mountain on them, heh. A car," 01 stands up briskly, no teetering or unease anymore. About-face, and he raises his restrained arms. "A car, and something sharp to help me with these."
    Aw yeah, going with both memories -- puking up some kind of technobabbly thing that was intentionally keeping me sick, like a kind of really gross pro.

    Also, I will never get rid of these manacles until they doom us all. It is only [strike]appropriate[/strike] cool.

    AlfredR on
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    GOAL: I search through the wreck. A lot of the shit is broken, all twisted metal wrapped around twisted metal. There are chunks of brown flesh splashed over the van's heap, and some hair. Gross. A mostly-drank Dasani is crushed up in a corner. I take it for the road figuring it can't hurt in this heat. A radio in the front seat makes some crackling noises and I snatch that too. I look for weapons, none in the car, but a glint of light from the bushes leads me to a loaded gun with a full clip. I stuff that in the back of my pants.

    CHASE: Back to the car I go, ripping it apart looking for anything more that could help me. I'm interrupted by a shouting from the far end of the road. Two of the armed men who escorted us, cocking their silver shotgun. "Halt!" The one with the handgun says. "Get down on the ground, now! GET DOWN ON THE GROUND!"

    REVEAL: "Halt!" The word echoes through my head. Strange men. Guns. "Halt!" Something I forgot. Something I need to remember. Something... My Brother!

    It wasn't just me, they took my brother! They came for him and he resisted. The smashed him with the butt of their gun and I flew into a rage. Punches, kicks, none of them aimed, all of them flailing. I think I bloodied one of their lips. I know I kicked at one of their knees. Something popped. I took a punch in the stomach and went down like a sack of meat. They grabbed me and him, each of us in a different van. The last I saw of my brother was when the black bag went over my head.

    The car ride was quiet on my end. I didn't scream, knew it wouldn't help. But one of the guards, probably the one with the backwards knee, he wouldn't shut up. In and out between his language and mine. "[indecipherable shouting] You think you're a hero? You were gonna save your brother? We got your brother. And let me tell you a secret." The voice came closer, shouting in my ear, "You're the one we were after. If you hadn't put up such a fucking fight, we might have let him go. But now? Now I want you to know that whatever happens to him, it's your fucking fault."


    NOW: The gunshot brings me mostly back. Everything starts to shake and shift, metal flies through the air, trees are bursting into flame. I see people stumbling. But I'm confused. Detached. Almost as if all of this is happening to somebody else. Maybe I've lost my mind. I hear somebody shout "Get your ass in gear!" and I start running away from the guards.

    There is gunfire. To my right a tree branch launches off a tree like a rocket and nearly takes my head off. Everything is like an awful nightmare. I don't even notice my feet under me, don't notice me stumble. I fall behind the others, maybe I started later. I don't know. When I finally catch up to them, did they say something? I can't remember. It looks like they are both bleeding. I don't think to check if I'm bleeding.

    The first time either of them says anything to me I look at them blankly. Then I vomit.

    FecklessRogue on
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    THE REST STOP

    It's a small diner with greasy tables, burnt food, and knick-knacks on the wall from 1948. The menu has hamburgers, chicken, sandwiches, steak, coffee, and one or two things that might surprise you. A giant fat man sits on a stool talking to another fat woman behind the counter as she pours coffee in a white mug. They talk about storms moving in, about how the man's sister is doing, about the dirty Muslim president from Kenya, and about that earthquake just now, Jesus, has there ever been an earthquake here before? Something must have blown, something big.

    But that's inside. Out in the parking lot, you've got tons of big rigs, half-empty. A gas station, a Denny's across the street, a fruit stand. Then the open road along a strip of dirty motels until you reach town proper.

    Are you hungry? Are you starving? Do you have anything on you? What's your mode of transportation? Where do you go from here? This is God's crossroads, a message that he exists - everything you could possibly need is right in front of you.

    Assuming truckers are nice and helpful, like they are in the movies.

    There's maybe fifty people in this area, all told. And if you're wondering, it took maybe over an hour to get here from the crash site.

    No idea where the Chasers are.

    So, what do you do?

    summeryclept on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Jesus, Two... you okay? They dope you too?" 01 quickly steps over to 02, as comfortable and graceful and not trying to hold down a spinning world through sheer mental strength as ever. Not feeling sick as a dog really does wonders for him. "You all right?"

    He turns around to survey the scene -- the Denny's, the diner, the gas station... ideally not people staring at the three guys who just stumbled out of the woods onto the side of the road. Addressing 03, "Plan time, right? Three, you think you can handle a car yourself? How about Two and I see what we can get from the gas station shop? Snacks, water, a map..." 01 glances back at 02 with a look that says yup. I know man.

    "Pepto-bismol?"
    Going to head into the gas station quick-e-mart thing and poke around, maybe with Feckless? We'll see! I figure wait until Squish has us a vehicle before making off like bandits. Worst five-finger-discount in history: robbing without a getaway.

    AlfredR on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Ey, fuck that number three shit," 03 interrupts, his bleeding midsection momentarily forgotten. Looking down at the figure tattooed on his arm. He flashes a hawkish smile as he flexes his bicep so the others can clearly see the lettering beneath the tattoo as he continues, "Call me Rock, and yeah, I got our wheels."

    Rock stalks off towards the vehicles, looking over the nearby vehicles for something fast and easy to rip off. He calls back to the others as he walks, "Get me a couple boxes of milk! And a bacon cheeseburger!"
    I am gonna jack us some wheels. Probably won't be able to use my power, so what am I rolling?

    immortal squish on
    <3
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "I um... Pepto Bismol. Yeah. I must have been doped. Something." Images of the mountain turning into abstract art still flash in 02's head. The gunfight. The earthquake. The trees bursting into flame. "Did I uh... did you all... what happened back there?"

    The breeze blows past and leaves the smell of the Denny's food. 02 lurches but doesn't heave. "They uh... they have my brother, I think." He steps after 01 and grabs him by the shoulder "We gotta call get to a phone. We should call the police. We should call the FBI. We should call someone. They still have my brother."
    Somebody stop 02 from getting to a phone. That is such a bad idea.

    I was planning on waiting to make an action until we see what happens with Squish, unless you count freaking out as an action. If you want us all to decide on simultaneous goals, let me know.

    FecklessRogue on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Oh... back there. That... was me. I'm pretty certain. I think that was me," 01 stops to look both ways before crossing the road but stops himself when it sounds like 02's going to heave. Thankfully, he doesn't. 01 takes the opportunity to speak.

    "No. I know it was. I wanted to run -- we all needed to run. Those guys needed to back off... and then everything went to hell. I never meant for it to be anything like that though..." in the air, the occasional rumble of rock and mud still settling is likely audible somewhere far overhead.

    And then 01 is snapped back painfully into the present. "Your brother? You're sure?" He deflates, sighing a drawn out "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" with the air that leaves his lungs.

    "I don't think the police will help us. I don't think anybody will, honestly. What can we say? Hi, I just escaped from clicking Middle Eastern kidnappers with electric shotguns." 01 begins his limp across the road, grimacing and cursing regularly. Blood spills down the back of his leg and by now is pooling in his shoe.

    "Actually, you never know. That might actually set off some alarms. It just feels like a bad call..."

    AlfredR on
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I am gonna jack us some wheels. Probably won't be able to use my power, so what am I rolling?
    1 die for doing something important.
    1 for potential memory flashback.
    1 for the Chasers being hot on your trail.

    You're NOT using your power, and right now, there's no potential for harm, so you DON'T get those dice.
    You also DON'T get the extra die for being un-hurt, because of your wound.

    So you roll three dice, and assign one to Goal, one to Reveal, and one to Chase.

    The gas station's got the usual assortment of shit that's bad for you - snack cakes, soda, chips, chocolate milk. A dark-skinned elderly woman at the front desk looks over the newspaper, but really she's watching the two guys browsing in her store.

    Especially the one in manacles.


    Feckless and squish
    squishy, there's actual cars, and there's big giant trucker-trucks. You'll roll the same for trying to steal either, but still pick one, just for flavor.

    Also, Feckless, no need - you can each perform independent goals whenever you like.

    summeryclept on
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    02 sees the lady eying them. Suddenly he becomes much more aware of himself and how he must look. He walks past 01 on the way to the bathroom and whispers "01, keep a watch on the lady. If she hits and alarm, makes a call, knock on the bathroom door and let's book." 02 heads to the bathroom.
    First order of business is figuring out what exactly I look like. As in, what do my clothes look like? Do they have any pockets? Am I dirty (probably)? Am I unshaven (yes)? Do I appear to have any wounds or gashes?

    FecklessRogue on
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    02 sees the lady eying them. Suddenly he becomes much more aware of himself and how he must look. He walks past 01 on the way to the bathroom and whispers "01, keep a watch on the lady. If she hits and alarm, makes a call, knock on the bathroom door and let's book." 02 heads to the bathroom.
    First order of business is figuring out what exactly I look like. As in, what do my clothes look like? Do they have any pockets? Am I dirty (probably)? Am I unshaven (yes)? Do I appear to have any wounds or gashes?
    Aside from what you provided:

    Shoulder-length brown hair and a patchy beard, both unkempt and uneven. Pasty skin. One green eye, one blue eye. Blood dripping from a fresh gash along the left temple that curves up over the brow. Starting at the shoulder along the right arm are tattoos that feel warm when near electronics.

    Your clothing is plain, very plain. Nothing identifiable. Doesn't feel like something you would wear. The other two are wearing something similar. Plain-colored pale shirt, slacks. You have the usual two back pockets and two front pockets on your pants. The clothes are dirty only from the day's earlier scrap.

    It seems like you might have all been changed before the trip. You can't remember.

    There's a few scratches and bruises, but you can trace it all to the wreck's pandemonium - as in, nothing looks weird.

    Except for a small square bulge at the bottom of your throat that you almost missed, about the size of a stamp.

    summeryclept on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    01 flashes his best polite smile at the woman behind the counter even as he maneuvers to put some obstruction between them so as to at least draw less attention to his arms. "Hurryyyy uuuuup, Twoooo..." he mumbles quietly through his teeth.
    We're going to get shot by the gas station attendant and it's going to be [strike]terrible[/strike] [strike]awesome[/strike] thoroughly deserved.

    Is there such thing as rolling to "draw less attention to myself?"

    AlfredR on
  • summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    AlfredR wrote: »
    01 flashes his best polite smile at the woman behind the counter even as he maneuvers to put some obstruction between them so as to at least draw less attention to his arms. "Hurryyyy uuuuup, Twoooo..." he mumbles quietly through his teeth.
    We're going to get shot by the gas station attendant and it's going to be [strike]terrible[/strike] [strike]awesome[/strike] thoroughly deserved.

    Is there such thing as rolling to "draw less attention to myself?"
    If it's Important, you can roll for it. It'll follow all the regular rules of rolling.

    In this circumstance, my best judgment would be to just have you play it out, but if it's something you consider important and don't mind the potential escalation due to the results, be my guest!

    summeryclept on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I don't quite consider it important at the moment. I'll just milk it for role-playing fun times.

    "Morning, ma'am," 01 affects in his most pleasant tone of voice, masking the ridiculous amount of pain coursing through his leg right now. "You hear what's been going on on the mountainside? Really crazy stuff, yessiree."

    "Uh, pardon a guy for asking, but my friends and I are just passing through on... a... roadtrip. What town is this?"

    AlfredR on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just outside, Rock notices a choice ride parked around the side of the diner, conveniently out of view from the more populated areas. "Oh yeah, this'll do real nice."

    He looks around to check for anybody getting too curious, then skulks towards his target. His fingers flex in anticipation.
    Stealin' me a car!

    3d6 → [5,3,6]
    Goal - 6 (success, GM first say)
    Chase - 5 (no chaser advancement)
    Memory - 3 (no flashback)

    immortal squish on
    <3
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If 02 hears 01, he certainly doesn't act like it. Instead he pokes a bit at the square bulge around the base of his throat, pressing it between a forefinger and thumb.
    Does it feel attached to something? Is it just loose under the skin?

    After learning whatever he can about it through his caveman-like prodding, 02 runs some water over his face, over his hair, and heads back out into the store.

    FecklessRogue on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "She hasn't done anything," 01 says quietly in an aside to 02 once he's out of the bathroom. "Except just kind of ignore me, I guess." He winces somewhat, "Jesus, Two, my leg. I think... I think there's a bullet in there, fuck." He hobbles, dragging his leg behind him towards the bathroom. "I can't go anywhere like this. Can you grab something? First aid kit? I don't know. Something and help?"

    "Feels like my leg is on fire, damnit..."
    Aw yeah all this role-playing. I doubt that a dice roll can negate my 3 scene penalty, so I'm mostly just adding color and making windows for character interaction I suppose!

    AlfredR on
  • FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    No, I think there was something about healing another player being an acceptable goal in the other OOC / Rules thread. I don't know if bullet holes are healable, but...uh... are they? If so, is there a first aid kit in this gas station (seems unlikely)? And do I have any money in these pockets (seems even more unlikely)?

    Assuming all that lines up, we can see if I can heal you. Who knows? Maybe I'm a doctor or a nurse and I just forgot.

    FecklessRogue on
  • AlfredRAlfredR I take weekends off from the internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Probably can't heal the hole itself, but I'm pretty sure leaving bullets inside your leg is generally a bad practice. And who knows! Maybe I'll get that bonus die back if this is allowed! More dice more awesome.

    If not, s'all good, just doing character stuff while waiting for summery to hook squish up with a result of his rolls.

    I believe in you, feckless! You are the amnurseiac!

    AlfredR on
Sign In or Register to comment.